• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

There is no way the new cards will be playable today in Arena or Tavern Brawl. Why do people keep thinking this will happen? Blizzard is going to want to slowly release new cards every few days to build hype, the same way they did with all the other expansions.

I'm sure they will have a Brawl which lets players use the new cards prior to the set actually releasing, similar to what they did in Arena with GvG. But it will be in a few weeks, after all the cards have already been revealed.

Forkball

But it will be in a few hours, after all the cards have already been revealed.

Fixed that for you.

But yeah, I don't think Blizzard has ever suddenly just dropped something without an announcement weeks, months, or years beforehand. Honestly outside of new cards, I would like them to announce new features. Maybe some in-game guides written by players, the ability to spectate random games, replays, more detailed stat keeping etc. Hearthstone could definitely use more ancillary features.

Rapstah

Apparently there's something going on where Xixo is claiming a lot of the unstreamed games of the NVIDIA tournament were actually coin flips because neither player cared about the match enough to play it. He doesn't think they should count as losses on his GosuGamers profile.

What a stupid tournament that was.

Xanathus

Just faced 3 aggro paladins in a row, good thing I was playing freeze mage. I need to get golden mage now that golden portraits work in arena.

Pooya

Got to play Rend Blackhand and effing Gruul in this brawl. Both were amazing, lol.

Fun brawl if you ask me, a lot of shitty cards will be playable.

Mage is easily best due to freeze spells, like other won't have any chance here now that I'm thinking. You just play big drops and frost nova/cone of cold. Next turn play blizzard, it's gg right there.

Between the musical tunes and Twitter posts, I wouldn't be surprised if we did get access to new stuff today in some form. I feel like they have been hyping stuff up for almost a whole month now. However, the big difference between hype ups now and before is that cards were always shown. Before GvG came out, we had that whole month of card voting before release(though I don't remember how long it was between the voting ending and the release. Feels like it took a while).

Safest bet is that they'll show off whatever they have(New gand mode/hero/cards/whatever), give a release date, and possibly give access to the new content Ina small way.(Brawl or Arena).

If there is something like a new class/mode/restructuring, I'd bet we get access to that before the new cards, if there are any. Seems like the best way to get people interested. You can show off all the new stuff, get people excited, release the free component of the addition, then allow players to save up gold over a few weeks till the release the monitized part I'd the release.

Or it could be that they're releasing sub-premium heroes for all classes that can be bought with gold or 3.99. They won't be auto gold and only have unique emotes. However they can be used as any class.

Dahbomb

brawl is up, you start with 10 mana. constructed.
Wow...

A Brawl where face/aggro play isn't viable.

Though I am pretty sure we are just going to have some really nasty games with turn 2 wins using Alex into Grommash next turn.

This is a Brawl that heavily, heavily favors players with a bunch of Legendaries.

Rapstah

The servers are so confused right now that the cancel buttons and accept buttons started doing the opposite of what they were supposed to do so now I both have and don't have a Tavern Brawl deck according to the UI.

Dahbomb

I got an insane deck in mind...

I don't know if I should expose it because I feel like if I do that's all people will use online like last time where the first thing I went to was Druid.

CoolOff

I got an insane deck in mind...

I don't know if I should expose it because I feel like if I do that's all people will use online like last time where the first thing I went to was Druid.

Yeah everyone figured out Druid was best thanks to you.

Dahbomb

Alright I am going to call it now then:

Priest deck:

Double Mind Control
Double Mind Games
Double Shadow Death
Double Resurrect
Double Mind Vision
Double Thoughsteal
Double Lightbombs
Double Faceless

All the rest you fill with Legendaries like Kelthuzad, Ysera, Ragnaros, big Dragons, Rend Blackhand, Foe Reaper, Sylvanas.

Probably a couple of taunt activators as well to avoid some OTK set ups.

The other one I am thinking of is the Shaman Deathrattle/Resurrect deck.

Pooya

I bet Murloc/Mech decks could dump their hands turn one and steal some wins actually.

Problem is you won't get to draw all of those, the game will be over before then, It heavily favors big drops, not combo/tempo.

Priest seems great too, going to try that now.

Lumine

I went Priest first (again). It worked beautifully. :)

Mind Control, Light Bomb and SW: Death (+ Sylvanas) are the obvious ones. Divine Spirit + Inner Fire combo works great again as well. Resurrect probably too but I didn't get to play it. The rest of my deck filled 8/9+ mana legendaries mostly. Oh and Loatheb + Sludge Belcher is a fun opening too. :p

edit: Hah, beaten mostly by Dahbomb. :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thus is the kind of Brawl where you might actually play cards like Force Tank MAX and Foe Reaper and get a lot of value out of them.

Alright I am going to call it now then:

Priest deck:

Double Mind Control
Double Mind Games
Double Shadow Death
Double Resurrect
Double Mind Vision
Double Thoughsteal
Double Lightbombs
Double Faceless

All the rest you fill with Legendaries like Kelthuzad, Ysera, Ragnaros, big Dragons, Rend Blackhand, Foe Reaper, Sylvanas.

Probably a couple of taunt activators as well to avoid some OTK set ups.

The other one I am thinking of is the Shaman Deathrattle/Resurrect deck.

Tried this, it worked pretty well. Game-winning play was when the Warlock played a Mountain Giant which I had no way to kill, then he Sunfuried it, but I happened to have TBK in my hand.

Got a gold Kidnapper in the pack, 400 dust, wahey!

Fixed1979

sigh, this brawl is going to be impossible on accounts with no cards...not sure I'll be able to get the free pack on my Yurope and Asian accounts this week.

EDIT: Took 3 games, I have one legendary on my Eurpoean account (Ysera) and managed to get her our first hand, mix in a couple MC and SW:D managed to keep her alive and take board control...looking forward to playing this on my main account now though.

shira

Fixed that for you.

But yeah, I don't think Blizzard has ever suddenly just dropped something without an announcement weeks, months, or years beforehand. Honestly outside of new cards, I would like them to announce new features. Maybe some in-game guides written by players, the ability to spectate random games, replays, more detailed stat keeping etc. Hearthstone could definitely use more ancillary features.

They need replays. Badly.

Heropon

I didn't realize until now how many fatty legendaries I already have. Priest has been really good in this brawl for me thanks to Resurrect, Mind Control, Shadow Word: Death and the Hero Power.

First time I beat a hero Ragnaros thanks to Sneeds being kind. Very interesting brawl, but yes, you kinda need these high powered cards so it isn't newbie friendly at all.

Fixed1979

I didn't realize until now how many fatty legendaries I already have. Priest has been really good in this brawl for me thanks to Resurrect, Mind Control, Shadow Word: Death and the Hero Power.

First time I beat a hero Ragnaros thanks to Sneeds being kind. Very interesting brawl, but yes, you kinda need these high powered cards so it isn't newbie friendly at all.

Without a good card selection I think your best bet really is Priest, load up your deck with as much steal and large minion kills as you can and then take it from there. Gotta get a little lucky or play someone who makes a mistake, or in my case both.

This idea is so simple - starting with 10 mana - but it's so brilliant. I love it.

Live in US yet?

Still about an hour left.

Opiate

Awful brawl for new players, which seems like the best use for the Brawl concept. They're going to get crushed by players who have tons of legendaries and epics.

Dahbomb

Awful brawl for new players, which seems like the best use for the Brawl concept. They're going to get crushed by players who have tons of legendaries and epics.
Every other week they have brawl where you get pre-made decks. So a week where they favor people with good cards is fine. Gives incentive to actually complete your collection.

Opiate

Every other week they have brawl where you get pre-made decks. So a week where they favor people with good cards is fine. Gives incentive to actually complete your collection.

I feel that's what constructed is for. They need new ways to attract new players who are put off by constructed.

Rapstah

I wonder if the tech behind Tavern Brawl even allows them to put limits on what cards people can put in their decks or if it has to be 100% normal rules constructed if you get to pick cards at all. I know they've said they'll never allow people to put more than two copies of a card in a Tavern Brawl deck, but limits like only one of each card, no spells, etc. could be combined with other rules for some interesting weeks.

Pooya

Priest seemed good but I got rekt by a mage now... Mind control and mind games are powerful but it doesn't matter when you jut get freezed :\ freeze rules here.

Loomba

I only had a majordomo and no cards he had 7 hp with 6 minions. He siphon souls my domo so rag comes and ends the turn.

I draw a mad scientist (fuck!) Ah screw it ill just hero power. Proceeds to hit face.

ESPORTS! I could feel the salt he must have been experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom