• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werd

Frodan is a very professional, he carries the broadcast of many small tournaments with random streamers who have no idea what they are doing co-casting. Kripp is good though.

Auctopus

Frodan is a very professional, he carries the broadcast of many small tournaments with random streamers who have no idea what they are doing co-casting. Kripp is good though.

Kripp reminds me of the salty friends who come to AGDQ and commentate their friends runs and wish they were the ones running it.

But he's a good player.

Rapstah

I hope there are cool good cards that aren't just RNG fiesta 2015 in the packs too, but I trust there will be 20 or 30 or them too just because of how many new cards there are. Still excited!

I wonder how they'll make use of inspire in rogue decks, since rogue is the class that can actually hurt itself by using hero power at the wrong time even way more than warlock can. For instance, rogue can have trouble using a weapon in an inspire deck since that precludes their use of hero power or they'll have to give up a valuable weapon charge (or more than 1 charge) to get inspire to work.

So, I am thinking maybe "Inspire: Your hero power becomes "add 1 attack to your weapon" or something that syncs that mechanic up would be appropriate.

Xanathus

Really the only card I've seen that I'm interested in using is Frost Giant, but only if it's a neutral card and could be used in handlock instead of Mountain Giant.

Rapstah

I wonder how they'll make use of inspire in rogue decks, since rogue is the class that can actually hurt itself by using hero power at the wrong time even way more than warlock can. For instance, rogue can have trouble using a weapon in an inspire deck since that precludes their use of hero power or they'll have to give up a valuable weapon charge (or more than 1 charge) to get inspire to work.

So, I am thinking maybe "Inspire: Your hero power becomes "add 1 attack to your weapon" or something that syncs that mechanic up would be appropriate.

Yeah, great point, none of the hero power cards they showed work with Rogue at all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wow, that is an extremely overcosted card. I dunno if it would even be played at 3 mana like Muster though.

It's almost Nourish plus three 1/1's. Like if "Draw 3 random beasts" was a card it would probably cost 4 mana. Add three 1/1's for about 2 mana. That's why it is costed like it is. It would be broken as shit at 3 mana.

Gotchaye

Arena-wise, it's the commons that really matter, and Maiden of the Lake is a huge deal. Snapjaw sometimes gets picked as-is and Arena decks are often clunkier and end up with spare mana at the end of mid-game turns anyway. I could see coming to value this over a Yeti.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Let's pretend Call Pet and King of Beasts don't exist, because HUCK FUNTERS, am I right?

I actually completely forgot those existed, lol.

Ball of Spiders is super weird though when you look at something like Muster though it would be way better than that at 3. I could see it being 4 mana or so, but not sure why they made it 6.

ZealousD

Ball of Spiders is super weird though when you look at something like Muster though it would be way better than that at 3. I could see it being 4 mana or so, but not sure why they made it 6.

If you were designing a card that said "draw 3 random beasts", what would you assign as its mana cost?

Arcane Intellect is 3 mana.

Nourish is 5 mana.

Rapstah

If you were designing a card that said "draw 3 random beasts", what would you assign as its mana cost?

Nourish is 5 mana.

Wisp is 0 mana and Webspinner is 1 mana (and a beast) so evidently "draw a random beast" is worth ~1 mana on its own.

I don't think this is how they design cards.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't think value is the cards issue, its that I can't see it ever being played on curve well. Do you want to ever play "Summon Spiders" on turn 6? 7? 8?

Maybe if Starving Buzzard was made a 4 mana card, then it could work.

daemissary

6 mana is the exact right cost for Ball of Spiders. Just because it doesn't fit into the current face Hunter meta doesn't mean that it is bad...it will be a solid pick in arena and I could even see it as a one off in a constructed deck if the meta gets much much slower.

Probably not but still, some cards need to just be good in limited formats.

Dreavus

Once those Webspinners die you get quite a bit of gas back in your hand. It's random obviously but it's essentially "draw 3 beasts" when they all die.

It feels like a combination of Nourish (draw half) and Muster for Battle, just a little slower giving you your cards. 5-6 seems like where it should be to me. The extra cards you get from the spinners shouldn't be underestimated!

ZealousD

Wisp is 0 mana and Webspinner is 1 mana (and a beast) so evidently "draw a random beast" is worth ~1 mana on its own.

I don't think this is how they design cards.

I would say "draw a random beast" by itself is slightly more than 1 mana. "Draw a card" is worth about 1.5 mana. So "draw a random beast" is probably worth 1-1.5 mana. That's why I suggested "draw a random beast" is probably around 4 mana. 3 mana you would be paying the price of randomness for a full extra card, which seems insane. We could argue whether 3 or 4 mana is best, so let's do best/worst case on this.

Then consider how much 3 1/1's would cost. Haunted Creeper is 2 mana and is a 1/2 plus two 1/1's, but is a bit slower so it gets the extra stat point. Muster for Battle is 3 mana, so take off 1 mana for the Light's Justice and we're at 2 mana. A neutral card that summoned 3 1/1's for 2 mana would seem extremely strong but would probably be too weak for 3 mana. So about 2 mana would be my guess.

So 3-4 mana for the draw effects plus 2 mana for the three 1/1 bodies.... and 6 mana might seem slightly overcosted but not abnormally so. At the very least I would say making it 4 mana would be very OP. in terms of being overcosted, it's no Recycle.

ViviOggi

I don't think value is the cards issue, is that I can't see it ever being played on curve well. Do you want to ever play "Summon Spiders" on turn 6? 7? 8?
Yup, even the slowest of Hunter decks only run >5cc cards when they're straight up busted (i.e. Highmane and Boom). You don't want to give up your entire turn 6 for dubious delayed rng-based card advantage, but start to seriously threaten lethal and hero power every turn. Highmane and Boom are essentially shitty pinatas filled with steady shots.

Yeah, I take it back, 3 mana would be good. But I don't think anyone will play it unless a new deck emerges, on turn 6 if a Hunter is going to drop a 6-mana thing it will be Highmane or Leeroy.

Dahbomb

AHAHHAAHAHA @ that Ball of Spiders card.

I swear I think Blizzard only put that card in so that there are more high cost cards in Hunter's arsenal because as it is that Lock n Load card is quite bull shit.

Now mind you I don't think its OP, it's just straight up bull shit because of its heavy randomness. Its kinda good in Hunter because they have quite a few cheap spells to use it well. On paper the card is fine but in practice the card is just going to produce some really stupid moments.

There were some cool cards in that set, I liked the Inspire mechanic. Also cool that there weren't any Deathrattle cards.

The combo of Mad Scientist with Effigy was just so hilarious. Mad Scientist continues to be fucking stupid.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im gonna buy that 50 packs pre-order thing... i dont care im a whale.
But a whale with a shiny new back card!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Nourish is 5 mana.

You still need them to die and the rng that goes with it, 6 mana for the board impact of three 1/1s is awful.

I do agree it shouldn't be on par with muster though(even though that has the 1/4 weapon attached), but I think 5 would be more fair.

ZealousD

Yeah, I take it back, 3 mana would be good. But I don't think anyone will play it unless a new deck emerges, on turn 6 if a Hunter is going to drop a 6-mana thing it will be Highmane or Leeroy.

I think it's probably true that it doesn't fit into the current hunter gameplan, which is why it probably won't get played. I think it only works in a constructed format where Scavenging Hyena makes a comeback for some reason. A deck that runs both Ball of Spiders and Unleash the Hounds could give plenty of beasts to work with on a hyena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom