• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I wasn't surprised that a Hunter won that exhibition.

Those decks were just straight trash tier and even mediocre Hunter decks are great at punishing these decks. Plus very few of the cards they had were good anti aggro card.

Blizzard stuffed that Mage deck with stuff like Belchers and Antique Healbots yet it still wasn't enough.

Can't wait for this expansion to be released and people go online to try these new cards only to get ROFL stomped by Face Hunter. It happens with every single expansion.

ViviOggi

AHAHHAAHAHA @ that Ball of Spiders card.

I swear I think Blizzard only put that card in so that there are more high cost cards in Hunter's arsenal because as it is that Lock n Load card is quite bull shit.

Now mind you I don't think its OP, it's just straight up bull shit because of its heavy randomness. Its kinda good in Hunter because they have quite a few cheap spells to use it well. On paper the card is fine but in practice the card is just going to produce some really stupid moments.

There were some cool cards in that set, I liked the Inspire mechanic. Also cool that there weren't any Deathrattle cards.

The combo of Mad Scientist with Effigy was just so hilarious. Mad Scientist continues to be fucking stupid.
I didn't see that, so I assume Scientist recombos itself when it's killed by the enemy and pulls Effigy? A mini-Shredder that thins your deck...

Dahbomb

I didn't see that, so I assume Scientist recombos itself when it's killed by the enemy and pulls Effigy? A mini-Shredder that thins your deck...
Yeah basically what happened was that Scientist died, it set Effigy and then Effigy triggered summoning a random 2 drop.

So yeah exactly a Mini Shredder.

Mad Scientist gonna Mad Scientist.

Might be some OP beasts yet to be announced. I wouldn't count out the Spider ball yet.

Even then, you'd be relying on RNG to get those beasts. Like someone said, the only six drop you're really looking to play in a deck thinking about running this card is Highmane.

Rapstah

Yeah basically what happened was that Scientist died, it set Effigy and then Effigy triggered summoning a random 2 drop.

Wait, really? That's not how Duplicate works with Mad Scientist.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Even with that new crazy ass shaman card that's a 2 mana 3/2 that spawns a random totem, Mad Scientist is STILL the most powerful 2 drop.

Gonna throw out a random guess and say there will be a Warlock card that makes Life Tap heal you instead of deal damage.

Even with that new crazy ass shaman card that's a 2 mana 3/2 that spawns a random totem, Mad Scientist is STILL the most powerful 2 drop.

I wish that was 2 mana. It costs 3.

Gonna throw out a random guess and say there will be a Warlock card that makes Life Tap heal you instead of deal damage.

That could be cool. You could replace Moltens with Frost Giants in Handlock?

Ehhh, actually that probably wouldn't work unless it was like Shadowform, in which case it would probably be way too strong.

Dahbomb

No way can you replace Molten Giants, they are a key comeback factor in Handlock decks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a card that did that actually (heal you instead of tapping).

There might actually be a card that does the reverse of Auchenai Priestess for Warlock. Like you play it and it says "cards that deal damage now heal you" or something like that. So a Flame Imp could heal you, Pit Lord could heal you etc. Would make Hellfire an awful Circle of Healing though LOL!

ZealousD

You guys have to be kidding me if you think that Ball of Spiders is anything other than a completely trash tier card.

Look I gave an exact explanation for why I think the card is costed the way it is. And it probably won't get played in Constructed. But it's hardly the most overcosted card I've ever seen.

If you have a better explanation for why you think it's "completely trash tier" other than a knee jerk reaction of thinking that summoning three 1-cost minions for 6 mana seems excessive, then give it.

I wish that was 2 mana. It costs 3.

Oh it is? For some reason I thought it was 2 mana.

Carry on then.

As somebody who has played a lot of beast hunter, I think ball of spiders is ok. At 5 it would be amazing, but that is what the emperor is for.

Beast hunter has problems with card draw unless you get the snakes going and people play around that.

I'd run one as a reload. Late game having three beasts with a rhino is strong.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. Heal 2 + draw a card is completely broken, and Warlock hero power is already on the broken side.

It would be very strong, yeah, but in an expansion focusing on hero powers it just seems like a logical choice.

Without seeing it in action though it doesn't seem like it'd be anymore broken than Coldarra Drake.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The OT title should probably have Inspire(d) in it but I am not inspired enough to think of anything good.

RPGCrazied

Not going to lie, I was hoping for another themed expansion on a raid or dungeon from the past like Naxx. Not feeling the tournament thing.

Once those Webspinners die you get quite a bit of gas back in your hand. It's random obviously but it's essentially "draw 3 beasts" when they all die.

It feels like a combination of Nourish (draw half) and Muster for Battle, just a little slower giving you your cards. 5-6 seems like where it should be to me. The extra cards you get from the spinners shouldn't be underestimated!

Don't compare it to Muster. It's obviously being compared to Sprint by the game devs.

Dahbomb

Ball of Spiders is bad because it's horrible tempo for its cost and the card advantage (which is what you are paying for) is delayed. At 1 cost summoning a 1/1 token is ok tempo, not the best but it's good enough to be playable. This card is half of that tempo.

The real reason why this card is 6 cost is because of Starving Buzzard. If this was 5 mana you could play it with Starving Buzzard and draw 3 cards.

It's WAY too slow of a card. And slow means garbage in this game especially for a class like Hunter. The cards being drawn aren't instant and they are drawn from random beasts, you can't get OP spell cards from those spinners.

So comparing this card to Nourish or Sprint is ridiculous.

Magnus

I could see a suitable amount of fun chaos from an upcoming brawl, where "arcane energies are in flux" and every turn both players have a randomly selected amount of mana crystals.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tavern brawl could be great potential to hype up the upcoming expansion if they give premade decks with new cards mixed in.

Mush

As someone who has only recently gotten into the game and is yet to purchase an expansion, should I wait for the new one or grab one of the ones already out?

ZealousD

Okay, here's my thoughts on every card.

Lowly Squire - Blizzard likes to add random 1 drops into the game to showoff new mechanics and this time Lowly Squire is here to show us the Inspire ability. Personally it seems a bit weak to me because it doesn't play very well on curve. It's actually slightly weaker than the modern undertaker, I'd say. Too slow for 1-mana.

Nexus Champion Saraad - You really need two draws for him to be considered good, so it basically has to survive a full turn to get value. Plus you're basically forced into hero powering for a couple turns. Feels pretty slow. At best it fits into some kind of crazy hero power combo deck but otherwise seems mediocre.

Frost Giant - Interesting Card. It fits best into decks that use hero power a lot, so either handlock, face hunter, or very slow games. I don't know that he really fits into Handlock. Probably costs too much for Face Hunter. Don't think you can count on all your games being slow enough to justify it. Probably weaker than Mountain/Molten/Sea Giants but stronger than Clockwork Giant.

Coldarra Drake - I kind of like the idea but unless this is combo'd with Maiden of the Lake it doesn't seem that exceptional. I don't know if Mage Hero Power decks will really be a thing unless some much stronger mage-based inspire cards come out. Seems early to evaluate it fully but I'm not sold yet.

Maiden of the Lake - Eh.... the body is unimpressive and seems kind of bad as a Turn 5 play. The effect is interesting but is probably on a minion that costs too much mana. I think it's a bit clunky.

Lock and Load - This is the kind of card you build a deck around. Maybe we'll see some kind of mid-range hunter that runs double tracking and double hunter's mark. Maybe like pre-nerf buzzard hunter but runs this instead of buzzard. You need at least 2 draws for value, 3 draws for playability in constructed. Seems like a very good card.

Skycap'n Kragg - "Charrrrge" makes me laugh. Seems like he could easily be a staple in pirate decks? I guess it all depends on if we get some sticky pirates in this expansion. Probably decent enough at 6 mana but I think 5 mana is the goal. So getting two pirates on the board might be difficult.

Totem Golem - Extremely powerful on curve. A very strong tempo play. Easily a Shaman staple in Arena. A nice thing to pop out of a Piloted Shredder too. Might herald some kind of tempo Shaman deck in constructed?

Effigy - Works extremely well in a high curve Mage deck. Maybe you put this in Echo Mage? It's kind of like a better version of Resurrect. Also disgusting with Mad Scientist, like most Mage secrets.

Thunder Bluff Valiant - Kind of a win-more card I guess? It's like bloodlust but not used strictly as a finisher. Or maybe like Quartermaster. A strong threat if left untouched as the effect could easily stack, making 4/2 healing totems or whatever. Could be strong and give people even more incentive to clear out totems.

Draenai Totemcarver - Feels very strong. 1 totem and you get a 4 mana 5/5, which is extremely good. A 4 mana 6/6 is even better. I think this could be a very, very good card.

Kodorider - EVERY KODO, GET IN HERE. Doesn't combo very well but two kodos for 6 mana plus a hero power seems ok if you can afford to hero power on the turn you play it. Kind of slow but getting two kodos out of this thing is kind of insane.

Tuskarr Totemic - At first I thought this was 2 mana which would have been BUSTED, lol. At 3 mana it's kind of like a Razorfen Hunter at worst. Maybe you put this into a tempo shaman deck that runs all the new totem cards, just because having more totems is good. And if this spawns a Totem Golem, that's bonkers. Flametongue or Mana Tide Totems would also be pretty awesome. That's like a 1-in-3 chance to have an insane turn 3 tempo play, and standard value at worst.

Fallen Hero - Feels like Steamwheedle Sniper in a class that can make better use of it. An instant pick in Arena if you can get it. Kind of glad this is a Rare and not a Common. In Constructed, it might fit into some kind of hero power deck for mages but I'm not sold on that archetype.

Ball of Spiders - Already talked about this a bit earlier, might be overcosted by a single mana point for Constructed and doesn't really fit into the hunter's gameplan, but I understand why it is costed like it is. It's like a slightly worse Nourish with a few extra 1/1's attached to it. Possible that it combos well with Scavenging Hyena, but that might be too gimmicky.

Joco

So is this true that Arena will now reward a random card pack from Classic, GvG, or this latest expansion? If it's true that's bullshit.

Dahbomb

Ball of Spiders should be 5 mana but Blizzard is too scared of that because then it means combo with Starving Buzzard in the same turn.

And SMH I forgot that the the Totem Golem actually BUFFS Shredder... so does Fallen Hero.

So is this true that Arena will now reward a random card pack from Classic, GvG, or this latest expansion? If it's true that's bullshit.

True.

Ball of Spiders should be 5 mana but Blizzard is too scared of that because then it means combo with Starving Buzzard in the same turn.

And SMH I forgot that the the Totem Golem actually BUFFS Shredder... so does Fallen Hero.

Any 2 drop will probably buff shredder.

Dahbomb

Not really, if they introduce a lot more shitty 2 drops that actually nerfs Shredder because it dilutes the pool of good 2 drops you can get.

But we all know that's not going to happen. New cards mean power creep and that means better 2 drops than before. We are already seeing it.

I generally agree with ZealousD's assessment of the new cards. I do think the Squire if put into the arena right now would be above average because right now good 1 drops are premium and that card I feel is an above average 1 drop especially in Mage. You can play this card turn 1. they play a 2/3 and you can trade up using your hero power. In Constructed though I think it's unusable.

Totem Golem and Tuskarr Totemic are a bit weird because they essentially work against each other with Totem Golem's overload. I suspect that will be the biggest limiting factor in terms of running both in Shaman decks and almost undoubtedly Totem Golem will be the preferred of the two. Plus I imagine something like Totem Golem into hero power into Draenei Totemcarver is a pretty huge play.

It's unfortunate though because I really like what I saw out of Tuskarr Totemic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ball of Spiders is going to be great when they bring back Mana Minion Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom