• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

But then you lost all tempo.
It's better than you not doing anything.

I am saying this in a situation where you don't have a 2 drop in hand. It's better that the 1 drop trades up with a 2 drop.

Though we don't know how the Arena meta would be. A few months ago I would've said this card is just bad all around but right now in Arena 1 drops are very valuable, even Goldshire Footman has been getting some use because of how important getting on the board is nowadays. Maybe the game slows down in the next expansion so who knows.

Shamans needed cards that will make people actually respect their totems more and it looks like they're getting them. It's similar to how before you could borderline ignore the Pally's recruits and that all changed with the release of Quartermaster.

Just give Shamans a more reliable way to draw and they'll be extremely dangerous (hopefully). I really have been wanting to play the class more, but they're just awful now outside of Arena.

Dahbomb

I really, really hope we don't see many more random as fuck cards.

At the very least Blizzard has eased up on the Deathrattle cards.

Pooya

Just got a chance to look at new stuff. So Coldarra Drake+ Maiden of Lake could make Majordommo playable... naaaah. it's still terrible.

Let's be honest lock and load is just going to give more Skill Command everytime. At first I though Coldarra is neutral and I was like Blizzard is insane. lol Still seems like a op card for mage.

I don't know about inspire, seems too slow to give much of value.

Effigy, more RNG, I don't think I will use this secret.

Lock and load doesn't seem too bad since it looks like more of a control card than face card.

Remember when people were going bonkers over feign death? It is kinda like that in a way. I'm not saying it won't find a use, but we're talking about a 2 mana card that only gives cards if you play spells. If you only get 1 card out of it, it was completely useless because you could have just included a more dependable card on it. If you get 2 cards off it, then you're at least gaining some kind of advantage out of it. Spending 2 mana to get 2 cards would be better than arcane intellect, if those cards were always good cards but sometimes they'll be bad ones. Getting 3 cards seems like the range you really want to get off this card. Hunter's mark, UTH, + secret + this = 7 mana.

So I am guessing it'll be a pretty dead card in the first 6-7 turns but I guess coin gives a nice bonus. Probably very poor in face hunter at least. This assessment can always change if they add more cards that work well with it of course. I am liking the whole kodo dude with hero power, cause I am assuming the kodo is a beast but is the base card that summons the kodo a beast?

Just got a chance to look at new stuff. So Coldarra Drake+ Maiden of Lake could make Majordommo playable... naaaah. it's still terrible.

I assume you mean 1 mana, infinitely useable, ragnaros fireballs? We'll probably see a video of that fast.

jgminto

Haven't posted here yet so I guess a new expansion would be a good time to start. Can't wait to try a FreezePing Mage deck, that 1 mana, 3 damage fireballs on turn 10 dream. The ways it could combo seem so fun too, with Saraad to fuel Antonidis or to fill a board with Kodo Rider.

Haven't posted here yet so I guess a new expansion would be a good time to start. Can't wait to try a FreezePing Mage deck, that 1 mana, 3 damage fireballs on turn 10 dream. The ways it could combo seem so fun too, with Saraad to fuel Antonidis or to fill a board with Kodo Rider.

Getting conceal off saraad and then antonidas + conceal is going to be the new wtf-rng-esports thing next expansion.

Please Blizzard, give us Priest players something good. As my only golden hero, I hate that 350+ of my wins have come from stealing good cards from opposing players and using it first...(archmage antonidas / dr. boom)

Sincerely,

Priest player

Please Blizzard, give us Priest players something good. As my only golden hero, I hate that 350+ of my wins have come from stealing good cards from opposing players and using it first...(archmage antonidas / dr. boom)

Sincerely,

Priest player

Every good card buffs priest, because of thoughtsteal getting stronger
laugh.gif

Tuskarr Totemic might actually end up being pretty insane now that I think more about it.

25% chance to get either Totem Golem or Mana Tide. 50% chance to get a totem that isn't from the hero power.

That's assuming that they don't add any new totems other than Totem Golem of course.

Raxus

Priest needs a good two drop, they have Northshire Cleric and Dark Cultist in between which are both great, but not much on turn 2.

A 2 drop that heals or buffs health would be ideal. It is both a good and bad sign we haven't gotten a priest card revealed yet but know pretty much all the mage, hunter and shaman cards. It is also super nice Shaman got a consistent set for once.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I do think the Squire if put into the arena right now would be above average because right now good 1 drops are premium and that card I feel is an above average 1 drop especially in Mage. You can play this card turn 1. they play a 2/3 and you can trade up using your hero power.

That's a pretty weak line of play though. Good 1 drops are a premium because they give you an advantage. If your line of play is Turn 1 Squire Turn 2 Hero Power then your opponent has the advantage going into turn 3. That's why I said that Squire isn't a Turn 1 play. It's awful on curve because that means you're hero powering on Turn 2, which is a major tempo loss.

Pooya

So with Frost Giant, you just tap every turn and do the usual handlock, then late game you have even more cheap 8/8s after motlens and mountains are gone. Sigh.

I think warlock tapping will be even more op with some of these new cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So with Frost Giant, you just tap every turn and do the usual handlock, then late game you have even more cheap 8/8s after motlens and mountains are gone. Sigh.

I think warlock tapping will be even more op with some of these new cards.

Already covered it with G.ZZZ.

It's not really a Handlock card and I'd be very surprised if a competitive list comes out that uses it.

ZealousD

Frost Giant costs too much to put it in Handlock. You'd need to tap like four or five times before it becomes worth it to play it, so it would only factor into a Handlock's late game. That means you'd throw it away in every opening mulligan and then hope you don't draw it for like eight turns. Nobody wants a card like that in their deck. At least you wouldn't want two copies of it.

depths20XX

Way too many "summon a random card" shit that they keep adding. Kripp made a good point during the stream about how "smart players will know that there is a 5% chance they can summon this 1 or 2 cards out of this situation". That isn't fun.

Opiate

Control Warrior seems like a better fit for that giant if anything. Their games tend to be longer and they tend to use their hero power more over the course of a game.

Way too many "summon a random card" shit that they keep adding. Kripp made a good point during the stream about how "smart players will know that there is a 5% chance they can summon this 1 or 2 cards out of this situation". That isn't fun.

I disagree. I play mage because of portal. I play beast hunter because of webspinner, I play sneeds when I can.

"summon a" cards are simply fun to play with. For serious "I want to get to legend for no reward playing the same deck as everybody else without thought" players they are no good, agreed. But there are plenty of boring ass cards to keep those guys happy and I'm glad to see more of them.

Control Warrior seems like a better fit for that giant if anything. Their games tend to be longer and they tend to use their hero power more over the course of a game.

I agree, however the problem remains, what do you take out? I'd still rather the 5 armour most of the time from a maiden and all the higher drops are going to do more.

Every good card buffs priest, because of thoughtsteal getting stronger
laugh.gif

Balanced out by Priest getting weaker every time because it's not getting good cards.

The priest's 2 drop shadowboxer isn't bad in tandem with the cleric - draw a card and deal damage.

My issue is with setup for strategies, getting shrinkmeister and cabal shadow priest or shadow madness w/ recombobulator/youthful brewmaster takes too long to setup and unless thoughtsteal/mind games gaurantee 4+ mana cards I end up having to play the long game quite often.

I just want an aggro priest deck where I don't need to rely on thoughtsteal.

depths20XX

I disagree. I play mage because of portal. I play beast hunter because of webspinner, I play sneeds when I can.

"summon a" cards are simply fun to play with. For serious "I want to get to legend for no reward playing the same deck as everybody else without thought" players they are no good, agreed. But there are plenty of boring ass cards to keep those guys happy and I'm glad to see more of them.

I guess you're right in that the decks using those type of cards will never be as consistent and refined as competitive decks so it shouldn't matter much. I just don't like the idea of more and more cards summoning more and more random things that I have no clue of what they could be. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fun decks, just not that type.

Pooya

You can replace one twilight drake with frost giant, control warrior really doesn't have room for this or need it. Replace one of your legs with this? why would you do that. Those legs each do something as they're played, more valuable than just another body.
----

That rouge weapon is poor, might as well use assassin's blade.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I dunno why you would run that over Assassin's Blade.

Yep, for 1 extra mana you get a 3/4 weapon that get's instant value. That new rogue weapon only starts to become good once you start to hero power so it's a 6 mana investment making it pretty slow. However that new card maybe be pretty good since we haven't seen the rest of the rogue cards, maybe there's a inspire minion that makes it awesome. Let's not judge all cards at face value, after all people thought grim patron sucked when it was first revealed.

Yep, for 1 extra mana you get a 3/4 weapon that get's instant value. That new rogue weapon only starts to become good once you start to hero power so it's a 6 mana investment making it pretty slow. However that card maybe be pretty good since we haven't seen the rest of the rogue cards, maybe there's a inspire minion that makes it awesome.

Some sort of inspire weapon buffer with stealth would make it work.

In isolation it sucks though.

br3wnor

That would work just as well with Assassin's Blade though.

Hero power with assassins blade out replaces the assassins blade with the shit 1/2 dagger

This lets you tap the hero power (and get inspire ticks) while buffing the weapon to eventual reach assassins blade strength by the end

JesseZao

I think that rogue weapon will be pretty good actually. Gives Rogue another 4-drop and three charges is a sweet spot. Rarely will you use all 4 of the Assassin's Blade. Maybe it'll be used in Pirate Rogue.

Of course, it'll probably be better to eval once we see the rest of the cards.

Other common Rogue turn 4 plays:

Prep+Sprint
Violet Teacher
Shredder

ZealousD

Looks like one of the Rogue cards was revealed.

Makes it so your hero power adds 1 attack to the weapon instead of replacing it with Wicked Knife.

This looks like a good way to get Harrisonned. People will want to hold onto the weapon in order to try and build attack stacks onto it. This just looks really bad, should probably be like 2 mana or something...

Looks like one of the Rogue cards was revealed.

Makes it so your hero power adds 1 attack to the weapon instead of replacing it with Wicked Knife.

Blizzard is obviously reading this thread and I'll be waiting for my check:

I wonder how they'll make use of inspire in rogue decks, since rogue is the class that can actually hurt itself by using hero power at the wrong time even way more than warlock can. For instance, rogue can have trouble using a weapon in an inspire deck since that precludes their use of hero power or they'll have to give up a valuable weapon charge (or more than 1 charge) to get inspire to work.

So, I am thinking maybe "Inspire: Your hero power becomes "add 1 attack to your weapon" or something that syncs that mechanic up would be appropriate.

My example was not supposed to have inspire keyword in it though :)

edit:

That weapon specifically as a 1/3, I'm not sure I dig it. Every time you hero power you're not getting a whole lot of value off that mana spent. A four mana weapon normally dishes out 8 damage. To get to 8 damage with this, you need to spend 8 mana. The rogue decks we see now aren't often floating mana and if they are they are doing poorly, so there is a space where this might work but I am not sure if that justifies inclusion. I guess we'll have to wait for other cards. I kinda hope it is a fake?

Would that maiden make it worth using? I'm not sure if it is all worth trying to put together. We'll see as more cards are released. Maybe it'll work really well with autobarber and such, getting high ass attack is always fun.

Barrage

"Coldarra Drake: You can use your Hero Power any number of times."

Can someone explain to me how this isn't an insta-win for Mage or Hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom