• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maiden + 2x fallen dudes (whatever that +1 hero power damage thing is) + that drake + 10 mana = 30 damage hero power = otk = bliz be
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's worse than chat lethal Moebius, seriously.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Priest + Shadowform x2 + Velen + Maiden of the Lake + Thoughtstolen Coldarra Drake = ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder what new class legendaries will focus on inspire.

I think Pally has a lot of potential with it after already buffing the minion dudes through quartermaster.

Pooya

You're not going to win any game with hero power alone, these dream combo are very expensive :b

---

Coldarra Drake is a 6 drop. I don't see anyone replacing Sylvanas or Emperor with it in a mage deck honestly.

If it was a paly card, with dragon consort? yeah I could see good potential for it.

I like the concept of the weapon, but I wish it started at 2 attack so you can at least clear a 2hp minion on turn 4. As a 1/3 it is pretty much never worth playing on turn 4. This kinda makes it a 6 cost weapon just to get a 2/3 weapon which is a 3 cost weapon for a paladin.

Pooya

It won't get used in oil rogue, looks like something resembling a control rogue should be possible with that and possibly other new cards, which would be nice.

Thanks for the link. So I guess that's kinda cool. Just kind of a bummer in a Harrison/expected weapon meta. Hope there's at least another card that allows Rogues to freely hero power for Inspire.

That's kind of a bummer though, not every class has the pleasure of being able to freely hero power. Just compared to classes like Hunter, Druid, or Warrior where technically their hero power is always 'good.' However, I suppose with Priest, you don't actually have to heal something to trigger Inspire.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I mean it looks like the kind of thing you hold onto for several turns while you build up its power.

Which means it is so easy to get Harrisoned. I just dont see it getting played. Not unless there are some other inspire or hero power cards being built for rogue where you can build that thing up very quickly.

It definitely is a hard card to judge, but outside of inspire usages, I think assassin's blade might simply be a better weapon with 4 charges and already starting at 3 attack, if we're talking about control rogue.

The inspire stuff in rogue or applicable to rogue has to be very good for this card to see play imho.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rogue weapon is pretty interesting. Assassin blade is +2 attack and +1 durability for 1 mana more, but this could spiral pretty nicely with deadly poison and hero power stacks, so you'd have to put a lot of focus to make it worth it.

Pretty damn slow though, can't really see the oil rogue we have now running it. I'd like to say it could be a card a whole deck spins around but like Zealous said, that would get countered HARD by any antiweapon card.

Pooya

Skycap'n Kragg in a rogue deck.

Let's say playing rogue you have already daggers equipped from previous turn.

+1 deadly poison + 2 2xSouthsea Deckhand +1 Dread Corsair + 4 Skycap.

8 mana total. 8 charge damage+ 3 weapon. Now maybe instead of Dread Corsair, play prep+oil. 11 charge damge for 9 mana. + 6 weapon. Or without poison, 8 mana and 4 weapon. Seems okish.

Some ET turns make this playable, decent combo.

V-Faction

|OT| I need a Hero Power

Re: Shamans: The focus on the Totems as a core concept is perfect, and finally makes sense for the class. Fuck Murlocs, whoever came up with that needs a slap.

So now, what they need to do is have Neptulon give Totems instead of Murlocs, have a spell like Muster for Battle in the Shaman deck but for Totems, and something that allows for card draw, like copying Totems or copying spells.

They've got AMAZING minions now, like some of the best tempo ever. Now they just need the other cards. Cool, unique, fun ones like Coldarra Drake or Lock and Load.

depths20XX

That rogue weapon just looks like hot garbage to me unless there are some really good inspire cards to buff it up. Even then, you're most likely gonna be playing it at 6 mana which makes it slow. Other weapon buff minions already buff other better weapons so I dunno why you would play that unless there's some great inspire minion or spell we haven't seen yet.

I actually think it might be stronger in oil rogue than one might think. When a rogue is not having a hot hand, it does have extra mana to use and hitting face and refreshing the dagger is really not great but also not abnormal. So that 2 mana is actually better spent adding 1 attack because that'll mean 2-3 damage as opposed to 1 face hit for 1 damage.

Another thing is that it has 3 charges for oil to get an additional 3 damage out of. So a card that already does 9ish damage (the weapon buff x2 + at least 1 attack with a minion) is going to be bumped to 12.

I'm starting to find the card a bit better than was my initial reaction. Still, 4 mana for a 1/3 weapon is quite abysmal. But when combo'd properly and set up, it has a lot of potential. Lets say they add a rogue minion with "inspire: add 1 attack to your weapon". Then maybe we're seeing a decent card.

It kinda falls in line with a lot of rogue cards. Really weak on their own but when used in tandem they can seem completely broken.

Maybe at best it'll just be Harrison bait or you'll use abother weapon/spell to get him out. Just have to see other cards first.

Just have to hope you can steal a ColdDrake from a Mage and then you'll be in business.

Edit: Watch them rework Kidnapper to allow you to put whatever minion you target into your hand. Now you're playing with a Hero Power!

I actually think it might be stronger in oil rogue than one might think. When a rogue is not having a hot hand, it does have extra mana to use and hitting face and refreshing the dagger is really not great but also not abnormal. So that 2 mana is actually better spent adding 1 attack because that'll mean 2-3 damage as opposed to 1 face hit for 1 damage.

Another thing is that it has 3 charges for oil to get an additional 3 damage out of. So a card that already does 9ish damage (the weapon buff x2 + at least 1 attack with a minion) is going to be bumped to 12.

I'm starting to find the card a bit better than was my initial reaction. Still, 4 mana for a 1/3 weapon is quite abysmal. But when combo'd properly and set up, it has a lot of potential. Lets say they add a rogue minion with "inspire: add 1 attack to your weapon". Then maybe we're seeing a decent card.

It kinda falls in line with a lot of rogue cards. Really weak on their own but when used in tandem they can seem completely broken.

That makes sense if Patron wasn't a thing and everybody wasn't running weapon removal.

It seems like a Rogue Bolvar to me.

You might as well run blingtron. Most of the time you'll end up better off.

Pooya

So looking over Effigy again, if you just ignore possible doomsayers and lorewalker chos here and play it smartly it seems very strong.

I'm not sure if mad scientist is good for this, it's more like duplicate, for best value you want to play it on your own. It will interesting how this goes, still with mad scientist it would make early board control really sticky and helpful. I just don't like RNG cards like this :\

1x mirror 1x Effigy, it will be very annoying for opponents. Hopefully there are more cards that deal with secrets.

jgminto

The Poisoned Blade looks like it could be an interesting card if there are other Rogue cards built around Hero Power to synchronise with it since you wouldn't be able to utilise Inspire cards while holding a regular weapon. I don't see it being used in current decks though. If it increased durability on the other hand, that would be an amazing card.

inky

Cogmaster Wrench is still worse imo (permanent buff vs. conditional + new cards that cheapen hero power) but it's not far off at that cost.

Pooya

Harrison wrecks that weapon, maybe there is a card that protects your weapon. Like it can't break on opponent's turn, otherwise yeah he's right it's trash right now.

Mulgrok

I thought warrior would suck in this brawl, but with a face rage deck I can deal 30 damage by turn 2 even if I go first...without using any legendaries.

Emperor, Flamewalker, Dragon Consort?

Flamewalker? Dragon Consort? Absolutely not. Emperor was used to help refine some decks, but didn't shift the meta. The only new deck that truly came out of BRM that maintained top level play is Patron Warrior. Besides that, we continue to see the same style of Handlocks, Demonlocks, Face Hunters, Control Warriors, Oil Rogues, and Combo Druids that we saw before BRM. There is a difference between a good card, and a meta shifting card.

Pooya

There is gotta be some insane cards for major meta shift with the set. The theme is inspire and hero power which don't seem all that strong to me compared with what people play right now. Some odd cards that are good to include on their own in existing deck style? sure. A whole new set of decks built around inspire and hero power? I don't see it yet, we haven't seen much though, come on show those legendary cards, these two are meh.

-------

Dragon Consort didn't get played much, dragon synergy was doa but a handful of dragons were always very useful and they continue to be.

Flamewaker replaced Blastmage, you just do more damage than 4 now, no mech required.

Patron created entirely new deck. That was it.

About ball of spiders: You get 3x Webspinner. From each webspinner you get an additional card. That means card is "Summon 3 1-1 minions and draw 3 beasts". It's a card draw that also summons minions. Delayed card draw, but still a card draw. I can kind of see where the costs comes from, but I still do not think this card is great.

About ball of spiders: You get 3x Webspinner. From each webspinner you get an additional card. That means card is "Summon 3 1-1 minions and draw 3 beasts". It's a card draw that also summons minions. Delayed card draw, but still a card draw. I can kind of see where the costs comes from, but I still do not think this card is great.

Summon 3 1-1 beasts. That is a significant difference for following up with hyenas or buzzard the turn before.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Value is good, but it just really expensive for a draw effect. Maybe if Hunter got its own version of Preparation it would be viable.

With Ball of Spiders, Lock and Loaded, and Saraad all generating extra cards, something that allows you to turn cards directly into mana would really fit. Maybe a 0 mana spells that allows you to discard cards in your hand for 1 mana each. Basically turn Hunter into RNG Miracle Rogue.

Pooya

Wait Effigy triggers on mad scientist death? that must be a bug in this build, duplicate doesn't work like that. Mad Scientist dies, secret is in play for minions that die after this not for scientist.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait Effigy triggers on mad scientist death? that must be a bug in this build, duplicate doesn't work like that. Mad Scientist dies, secret is in play for minions that die after this not for scientist.

Are we sure it actually works like that, or is it speculation?

Pooya

I didn't watch the stream, Dahbomb says it works like that earlier in this thread which I think he's mistaken. Must find this video now.

If memory serves, if Mad Scientist dies and pulls an Avenge, it'll trigger if there's a target available. I thought it was called a bug though. Same with killing a Scientist with a Battlecry, pulling a Mirror Enity, and then having it copy that minion which was just played.

It's how it happened in the first match. The Mad Scientist 'turned' into a Mechwarper.

Edit: Wait, I think I'm wrong. I now remember whoever was playing Mage scrolling over Effigy before it triggered. Maybe we just thought we saw it work that way. Also, the VoD on Twitch doesn't want to work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom