• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I like Reynad's review of the cards.

Most of the new cards don't counter aggression all that well (except Totemic Golem) which means that fast decks are still going to be good and most of these cards are too slow to really impact anything. He thinks the meta would still get faster because that's what Hearthstone really is.

Also he thinks Lock n Load is potentially broken but only in a specific type of Hunter deck.

Reynad for all the crap he gets is actually not all that bad in figuring out strength of cards (ie. one of the few people who said Feign Death would be not that great). He pretty much realizes the type of game Hearthstone is and what's good in it.

Rapstah

Reynad for all the crap he gets is actually not all that bad in figuring out strength of cards (ie. one of the few people who said Feign Death would be not that great). He pretty much realizes the type of game Hearthstone is and what's good in it.

He's great! It just happens to be funny when he loses.

Dahbomb

Strifecro has a point too.

He says that while the Inspire mechanic isn't too strong as it is... it makes Freeze Mage weaker because they can't get away with just freezing your board. Having even a couple of these Inspire minions mean you can accrue incremental advantage for having these minions on the board. Same against Grim Patron which doesn't fight too hard for board control.

Rapstah

This Korean thing seems suspect. I don't think there's even a channel called PlayHearthstone on Afreeca, but I don't read Korean so maybe it's hidden somewhere else under a weird name.

inky

Well this will sure be a wake up call for Blizzard about the state of their game if basically none of the cards from the entire set make it in to the meta for ranked because they are all too slow, lol.

A lot of the class special cards from GvG (esp. legendary) are still completely absent, so they probably don't care that much.

Opiate

A lot of the class special cards from GvG (esp. legendary) are still completely absent, so they probably don't care that much.

Class legendaries from GvG:

Vuljin
Malganis
Flame Leviathan
Gallywix
Malorne
Gahzrilla
Neptulon
Bolvar Fordragon
Iron Juggernaut

Really the only clear winner there is Malganis. Vuljin might also qualify if anyone played priest. Gallywix is an awesome card that doesn't fit Rogue.

Pooya

We were all fully expecting majority of a new set would be unplayable trash, the difference here is that that the new theme and mechanic they are building this whole set around is unplayable instead. Like if Deathrattles, spare parts or active abilities ended up being irrelevant, they weren't. I think it's quite different here.

We're yet to see a good inspire, and it's unlikely there will many or any, the idea is inherently too slow.

Dahbomb

I don't think Inspire is unplayable. Underwhelming yes, but not unplayable.

Right now most of the Inspire are mediocre if they are played once but good if they are played twice. If played three times then you can basically win the game off of some of them.

Rapstah

Maybe Iron Juggernaut will be playable after six or seven cards accidentally turn out to be really good mill cards in this expansion. Inspire: Both players draw a spell.

Pooya

Well if there is a 'inspire warper' that makes inspire minions cost (1) less I think maybe we could have something here. It's just so unlikely and even then still slow...

Copenap

Keep in mind that it is really hard to assess cards before actually playing with them and we haven't even seen all of them so quite a few of our calls will end up terribly wrong.

Opiate

Please keep in mind that I absolutely want inspire to work, because I think it looks like a fun mechanic.

I'm just distinguishing between "fun" and "competitively viable" here. Iron Juggernaut is also fun, it's just too slow. Now imagine that instead of 1 card being too slow, an entire mechanic/card set is.

Rapstah

Well if there is a 'inspire warper' that makes inspire minions cost (1) less I think maybe we could have something here. It's just so unlikely and even then still slow...

a34507d8.png

Now all we need is a blurry photograph and JPEG compression.

Dahbomb

I would imagine there will be more buff to hero power cards so if you are using cards with hero power it wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

inky

Keep in mind that it is really hard to assess cards before actually playing with them and we haven't even seen all of them so quite a few of our calls will end up terribly wrong.

Sure, but potentially being wrong shouldn't stop us from discussion possibilities.

IMO it will depend on a big equation around your hero power. Some hero powers are better than others clearly. I can totally see a card that gives armor to all your minions with Inspire for Warrior changing things up, even in arena where the class is underrepresented, but a big combo card that results in using hero power a couple more times at a big mana cost might make no difference to the class at all (or to other slow classes like Druid).

We need to see more cards, obvs. Sample size atm is just too small.

embalm

I don't think anyone will be running Inspire decks. It's just a cool new mechanic that will have good cards and bad cards that use it. Just like how there are really terrible Taunts and really great Taunts.

I am excited for the Totemic Might meta.

Phawx

Vuljin
Malganis
Flame Leviathan
Gallywix
Malorne
Gahzrilla
Neptulon
Bolvar Fordragon
Iron Juggernaut

Really the only clear winner there is Malganis. Vuljin might also qualify if anyone played priest. Gallywix is an awesome card that doesn't fit Rogue.

Gallywix actually works well with millrogue.

I guess that pirates could be the next 'themed' addition to HS. Given that the trailer also mentions them, and lately they were adding more mechanics about pirates, we could be facing another mechlike meta

G.ZZZ

The 3/3 that summons recruit isn't THAT bad, you have also teh option of playing it on curve T3, and it's a must answer for most decks.

The problem with those kind of creatures in hearthstone is that creature act as removal so long-term advantage creatures in general sucks.

Szadek

Vuljin
Malganis
Flame Leviathan
Gallywix
Malorne
Gahzrilla
Neptulon
Bolvar Fordragon
Iron Juggernaut

It's simillar with Neptulon and midrange shamans.
Come to think it,the few priest decks you see right now usually don't play Vul'jin, because he isn't very useful against aggro and combo decks.

Ladekabel

Is anyone playing on Eu right now? Still would need someone I can watch for a pack.

Played brawl earlier. Yesterday I enjoyed it. Today I was up against a mage.

Turn 1: Pyroblast
Turn 2: Pyroblast
Turn 3: Fireball, Fireball

Not going to play that again.

ViviOggi

Is anyone playing on Eu right now? Still would need someone I can watch for a pack.

Played brawl earlier. Yesterday I enjoyed it. Today I was up against a mage.

Turn 1: Pyroblast
Turn 2: Pyroblast
Turn 3: Fireball, Fireball

Not going to play that again.
ViviOggi#2280, I'll be doing my dailies in a few mins

When people say they want a "slow meta", what exactly do they mean? Control Warrior, Handlock and Freeze/Grinder Mage are all top tier decks right now and some of the slowest decks imaginable.

Meanwhile there haven't been pure aggro decks in the top ranks of the tier list in a LONG time, outside of Zoo which has midrange elements. Mech shaman and Face hunter sort of hang around the edge of the top ranks.

Gotchaye

When people say they want a "slow meta", what exactly do they mean? Control Warrior, Handlock and Freeze/Grinder Mage are all top tier decks right now and some of the slowest decks imaginable.

Meanwhile there haven't been pure aggro decks in the top ranks of the tier list in a LONG time, outside of Zoo which has midrange elements. Mech shaman and Face hunter sort of hang around the edge of the top ranks.

I don't really play constructed, but I expect they mean that you need to be able to have some relatively weak early turns while maintaining board control. Control Warrior is slow, and it's true that it often hero powers on turn two or three (although it would like not to, if it draws perfectly), but it still needs to get a lot for its mana in the mid-game. The deck works because its cheap cards are very efficient (weapons, spells) and/or are reasonable late-game plays (taskmaster). Control Warrior absolutely does not want to spend turn 3 playing a 3/3 that will die by turn 5 at the latest and which is only very useful if the Warrior doesn't play a Death's Bite or Belcher.

gutshot

Just had a hilarious Priest mirror Brawl where the only minion to be on the board the whole game was Ragnaros. We just kept Resurrecting, Mind Controlling and Facelessing them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel "Inspire: Summon an X/Y taunt." or "Inspire: Heal your Hero for X." early game cards would help a lot against fast decks.

Pooya

Cards like that would be OP, like a 2 drop that summons a target dummy, I don't think they would make cards like that looking at their cost distribution so far. It would be almost same value as Hogger but better and more playable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It would have to be something like an underwhelming 3 drop that summons a 0/1.

That said making overpowered cards to change the meta hasn't been an issue for them before. Just look how they got secrets in use.

Dahbomb

Cool card. Don't know if it will get much use because it comes out so late.

And those stats are really fucking bad... jesus christ.

If this card came out earlier it would be really good (even if it had poor stats for the cost). So many games are pretty much decided by that turn that having better hero power isn't going to win you the game especially if you spend 6 mana to play that card.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

They're talking about a meta where you don't have to build decks anticipating heavy aggro. Imagine a meta where decks like Face Hunter and and Shockadin do not exist. That's a slow meta. Handlock may suffer against aggro sometimes but it still has tools to deal with it like Sunfury Protector, Argus, and Hellfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom