• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

alUwWEE.png

"Silver Hand regent - Inspire: Summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit."

Pooya

when you have muster for battle why use that. Again inspire cards are very slow compared with existing cards. I'd love for the game to get slower but slow should mean stronger. play this on turn 3, next turn hero power if it's alive that is, 2 mana left fo what? wasting turn 5 to get a 3/3 and 2 1/1? nope.

Muster for Battle gives you 3 1/1 for 3 mana instead. Maybe there is some amazing neutral inspire card, nothing yet.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well this will sure be a wake up call for Blizzard about the state of their game if basically none of the cards from the entire set make it in to the meta for ranked because they are all too slow, lol.

Pooya

At least give it divine shield with lower attack higher health, that card is Soot Spewer level of terrible.

I think these cards would have been fine and right cards to print if GvG cards didn't exist. They really ruined the pace of the game. Shaman cards are actually GvG level OP, even shaman will play face now.

Pooya

I take it this one is a paly card too while looking like a neutral card?

this could get some use maaaaybe... like when aggro paly runs out of cards. meh

Heropon

Out of the six legendaries I've opened two have been repeats already. At least it wasn't Sylvanas...

I think I'm not buying classic packs anymore with the expansion around the corner and all of them being full of dust.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah most of the inspire cards are basically kind of weak on curve. I have a feeling the mechanic isn't going to get much use. They all seem costed correctly so I don't think they should be buffed or anything but to get immediate value off these cards you have to sacrifice tempo, which is very important in this game.

Silver Hand Regent and Garrison Commander seem okay in arena but I don't see them getting played in Constructed.

Hektor

So I did some light news reading, is "Inspire" what they mean by mounts? Or are there a class of cards they haven't revealed yet?

Curious.

Inspire is a new mechanic. Its like a battlecry, but instead of triggering when summoned, it triggers everytime you use your hero power.

Pooya

These cards could be good in current brawl with condition to limit cards to 6 drops or lower! It's possible they have new ranked mode in mind at some point. Since card draw is limited, tempo won't be as good as hero power use.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, the new patch is going to add panels for 2 more brawls. Assuming Blizzard doesn't start to reuse old ones already, I take it that means around August 12th is when we would get another patch, and I assume there will be a Brawl aimed at using the new cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Inspire seems very bunch an Arena mechanic.

Or, as we say in MTG, "Limited fodder."

Minsc

Gold Member
A lot of these Inspire cards are just too damn slow.

Basically every inspire card should be recreated as a card showing it costing 2 more mana and with the inspire effect built in to the text, because really that's the best you'll generally see from it.

So that 3 mana 3/3 inspire paladin card is really:

5 mana 3/3 summon a 1/1 recruit vs the existing and not used Silver Hand Knight:
5 mana 4/4 summon a 2/2 recruit.

Completely inferior. And if you do this for the other inspire cards (add two to their mana cost and rewrite the inspire as the text of the card, you have the same crap, example, the inspire Yeti: 7 mana, 4/5, draw one random spell).

Edit: I guess you have to factor in getting a hero power, but it's still worse, 3/3 + 2x 1/1 vs 4/4 + 2/2, closer, but still worse. And Muster is the example that really kills it anyway, not SHK.

Opiate

Cards seem like shit so far. lol

It's a fine semantic hair to split, but I would put it this way: they are not bad cards in a vacuum. Their costs are fine, and they provide adequate value in their battlecries and abilities. They're simply too slow in the meta Hearthstone has.

The underlying problem is that the game is simply too fast. Any card that takes a while to "rev up" is simply not viable, no matter how awesome their effect is -- again, look at Gallywix as an excellent example of a card with an amazing effect that nonetheless never gets played because he's too slow. If Blizzard doesn't want this to be true, then what the game really needs are cards which slow the game down, and give those "rev up" cards time to do their thing.

Malice215

Inspire seems like a win more mechanic. The game needs to slow down to make the inspire mechanic viable. Who wants to give up tempo to make use of it when each card eventually costs 2 extra mana to get decent value out of it?

Ball of Spiders is in the same bin as Recycle. Trash. Even though it's budgeted properly, it's still too slow and RNG dependent. Then what do you take out of your deck to fit this card in and your chances of drawing it are?

The rogue weapon is an interesting idea, but it's trash if the meta doesn't slow down, and will probably be trash anyway because why spend 6 mana for a 2/3 weapon when you could play Assassin's Blade + deadly poison for a 5/4 weapon. Plus why would someone let you buff that weapon when there's Harrison Jones/Acidic Ooze?

These cards should shake up arena, but constructed will most likely stay the same. Maybe one auto-include card, a couple of good cards fitted into already existing deck types, and a bunch of stuff that never gets played because of the meta being too aggressive.

I wish Blizzard would adjust some of the existing cards instead of adding crap on top of crap while having the paid expansions with much fewer cards playing a larger role than adding 130+ cards to the game.

Either way they got my money. Now to wait and see once all of the cards are announced.

Basically every inspire card should be recreated as a card showing it costing 2 more mana and with the inspire effect built in to the text, because really that's the best you'll generally see from it.

So that 3 mana 3/3 inspire paladin card is really:

5 mana 3/3 summon a 1/1 recruit vs the existing and not used Silver Hand Knight:
5 mana 4/4 summon a 2/2 recruit.

Completely inferior. And if you do this for the other inspire cards (add two to their mana cost and rewrite the inspire as the text of the card, you have the same crap, example, the inspire Yeti: 7 mana, 4/5, draw one random spell).

Edit: I guess you have to factor in getting a hero power, but it's still worse, 3/3 + 2x 1/1 vs 4/4 + 2/2, closer, but still worse. And Muster is the example that really kills it anyway, not SHK.

I think it's even worse than that because you are pigeonholing yourself where you HAVE to use hero power to start getting any value out of these cards. If you are playing that 3/3 on turn 3, and then hero powering on turn 4 instead of playing a 4 drop, you likely put yourself in a bad spot

Opiate

In other words, we don't need a greater number of slow/efficient cards, we need cards that make playing the slow/efficient cards we already have a more viable strategy in the first place. If slow/efficient isn't viable broadly, then adding even more slow/efficient cards is throwing good money after bad, essentially.

That's assuming that Blizzard wants to make this sort of playstyle viable in constructed at a high level.

Loomba

Out of the six legendaries I've opened two have been repeats already. At least it wasn't Sylvanas...

I think I'm not buying classic packs anymore with the expansion around the corner and all of them being full of dust.

Start stockpiling the gold. I'm at 1250. Gonna be able to get about 20 packs for free next month.

I am very suspicious of these so-called "reveals" that happen outside official Blizz channels. Blizz already has a way to tease new cards, the "vote which is revealed next" -poll. This time between expansion reveal and reveal of all cards is prime time for fake card showcasing.

ViviOggi

I'm holding out for some bombs to shake up things, even Blizzard can't be this oblivious to the state of their game. Or at least that's what I'd like to believe.

Opiate

I'm holding out for some bombs to shake up things, even Blizzard can't be this oblivious to the state of their game. Or at least that's what I'd like to believe.

In fairness, after having just made criticisms myself, all it would take are 2-3 key/core cards to slow the game down enough that some of these cool, efficient cards could plausibly be viable. In the same way that flamewaker singlehandedly made spell/tempo mage much more viable.

Malice215

If leaks haven't come out up to this point, I wouldn't start falling for them now. Plus who's playing that crap on turn 3 just to get a 1/1 on turn 4 instead of a 4/3 shredder or a 3/5 or a 4/5?

This is definitely prime time for fakes.

In fairness, after having just made criticisms myself, all it would take are 2-3 key/core cards to slow the game down enough that some of these cool, efficient cards could plausibly be viable.

That's all I'm looking for.

Pooya

They probably gave up on changing ladder meta too much, these cards could be really good in a different mode. It would be really good actually, where you can play slow control like decks and face or tempo just aren't viable. I don't believe that they made this whole new mechanic and card set for it to be maybe used in Arena sometimes lol. It would be a bomb if this set comes and all the pros and new netdecks just ignore almost all of it. People won't be spending on this set if the cards don't work competitively. They can't be that oblivious to how their game is played right now and how irrelevant these cards are.

Ultrabum

It's really hard to evaluate the inspire mechanic until we see all of the cards. Currently none of these are playable in constructed, but who knows what all the combos will be?

Pooya

We haven't seen all the cards but what combo could possibly make these playable? The only thing that would make this any good is like those fake leaked cards a while back, use your hero ability during your opponent's turn! That's how bad these are...

Dahbomb

It's really hard to evaluate the inspire mechanic until we see all of the cards. Currently none of these are playable in constructed, but who knows what all the combos will be?
If you get the 3 card god combo of Fallen Hero, Maiden and the Mage Dragon.... you can do 20 damage from just hero power if they all survive.

CoolOff said:
Goddamn on-curve Muster is such a dumb fucking card in Arena.
It has the highest win rate in Arena after god damn Dr Balanced and mutha fucking Tirion...

That's right, it's the high non Legendary win rate card in the game!

Opiate

If you get the 3 card god combo of Fallen Hero, Maiden and the Mage Dragon.... you can do 20 damage from just hero power if they all survive.

So, let's evaluate this.

Not only do you have to get all 3 of these cards in your hand, you have to get all 3 in to play -- which cannot be done on a single turn under normal conditions, as their combined cost is 12 -- and all have to survive an entire enemy turn.

As the meta currently stands, it's uncommon for Ysera survives a single turn, and she's just 1 card and has 12 health.

Dahbomb

So, let's evaluate this.

Not only do you have to get all 3 of these cards in your hand, you have to get all 3 in to play, and all have to survive an entire turn.

As the meta currently stands, it's uncommon for Ysera survives a single turn, and she's just 1 card and has 12 health.
I know that, it was a joke.

Still with so many cards using this Inspire mechanic or buffing up Hero power in some way... it's hard to say how these Inspire cards will pan out.

I also believe that most of these Inspire cards are a bit too slow and are a win more type thing. A lot of these Inspire effects are "OK" at best if they are used once but they have to be used twice for the card to be really worth it.

We still have a little over a 100 cards left to see. Should wait until the week before release and we know all of the cards beforewe all riot.

Also, when did GvG release, second or third week of the month?

iirate

I think inspire will(mostly) live or die on the ability to consistently play multiple inspires and/or other hero power modifier minions alongside your hero power and leverage those modifiers well. There may be a couple of individual inspire cards that break this - I think the regent may be the best one we've seen so far.

Basically, each of these cards get less "slow" if you can capitalize on more than one with a single hero power, so their own synergies will be extremely important.

That said, I agree that they look like arena cards right now, and very well may stay that way. I'd be excited if Blizzard developed a balance team as robust as MtG has, but it doesn't look like a priority at the moment.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know if it's uncommon. Ysera sees play because she is one of the safest high end cards with immunity to BGH/Shadow Word.

Pooya

Let's say you get to run ET on them once, it's 9 mana now instead of 12. You play Maiden, it lives 2/6 can probably live a turn. Then you play Fallen Hero for 1 and that Drake for 5 and at best turn 8 deal 4 damage. No if the opponent can't really kill any of these you have 11 damage on board, you're winning anyway. You don't need 20 damage hero power, sure it's a cool one in a million combo. Antonidas/apprentice/echo combo is easier to pull for example.

Pooya

I'm hundred percent sure it's a paly card, the art is just not final. Not an unusual thing to happen. They seem comparable to mage cards. one epic that interacts with hero power.

Do you really think they will give use hero power twice to hunter? nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom