• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Do you usally get nice results in Arena? That's a lot of gold

Been playing 2-3 Arenas a week since the start, and I'm sitting at 3k gold... maybe I'm not that good. Though I must admit that I don't play that much

I usually get good results, I don't track it but the aim isn't really to make gold but just to get a favorable gold to pack conversion that's better than just buying it outright.

Rockyrock

How much gold/dust have you guys hoarded waiting for the expansion?

I'm up to 2,000 gold and 2,600 dust. Wish I hadn't unlocked any BRM wings past getting Thaurissian or I'd really be balling.

3500 gold 1600 dust

was just about to craft a new leggy before the announcement

Hektor

If they start charging for the brawl ill stop playing it. The current reward of one classic pack is only worth 40 dust to me and so far the majority of the brawls so far have not been fun enough to keep playing it after the reward.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm sure they're gonna make loads of cash with the pre-orders, but it seems like they're definitely pushing for more cash transactions nowadays.

I think they use preorders to ease the server load on their authorization servers more than anything. Naxx and GvG launches were pretty crazy. BRM went really smoothly because of the preorders option.

Dahbomb

Well people pay for Arena and the awards are pretty bad there!
Arena has the best potential rewards in the game by far. It's the fastest way to acquire gold/dust if you are decent at it.

Tavern Brawl would have to at least match those potential rewards. Problem is that Tavern Brawl is actually more random and broken than Arena so people are just going to get more frustrated by it. Like for example I really like this current Brawl that's going on but I will fully admit it's completely unfair to new players AND there are a lot of broken stuff that can go down at the start of the match which can results in games being over before they started.

I think they use preorders to ease the server load on their authorization servers more than anything. Naxx and GvG launches were pretty crazy. BRM went really smoothly because of the preorders option.

That's a really good point. I forgot how awful the Naxx launch was--it was unplayable for the first couple days of each wing release.

Danj

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. No matter what deck I use I seem to have trouble maintaining either board control or card advantage.

iirate

Justicar and shadowform almost certainly have anti synergy, based on their wording.

Both replace your hero power, so presumably one just replaces the other. You could shadowform, then shadowform again, then justicar, and you would stop doing 3 damage and heal for 4 instead, completely replacing your shadowform cards.

This also means that they have some fringe synergy, as one potential issue with Shadowform is that you can't ever switch back, and a lot of priest cards rely on healing synergy.

It probably won't ever mean anything in a practical setting, but it's worth noting.

gutshot

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. No matter what deck I use I seem to have trouble maintaining either board control or card advantage.

I think you are playing Tempo Mage, right? Tempo Mage shouldn't be fighting for board the whole game or fighting for card advantage at all. The gameplan with that deck is to dominate the board early and then around turn 4/5 switch to being the beatdown and aim to rush your opponent down before they stabilize and take back the board. So my guess is you aren't properly recognizing that point and you end up fighting for board when you don't need to be, which means you will lose to slower mid-range and control decks.

Ultrabum

Sometimes hearthstone is pure RNG.

My last 3 losses:

Innervate Force of Nature, savage roar, ravage roar with nothing on board.

Priest with auchenai circle, followed by auchenai circle again, followed by Sylvanas lightbomb.

Paladin with equality consecration, followed by equality consecration.....

embalm

I think you are playing Tempo Mage, right? Tempo Mage shouldn't be fighting for board the whole game or fighting for card advantage at all. The gameplan with that deck is to dominate the board early and then around turn 4/5 switch to being the beatdown and aim to rush your opponent down before they stabilize and take back the board. So my guess is you aren't properly recognizing that point and you end up fighting for board when you don't need to be, which means you will lose to slower mid-range and control decks.
Funny tempo mage story. I was playing my pretty standard tempo mage against a grinder mage last night and had a completely backwards game.

He dominated the board from turn 1 to 8. The only thing I drew was high cost removal and azure drakes. On turn 8 I finally got the board clear. I played a flame waker and a sorc apprentice, it felt like he was out of direct removal and I was right. The next turn was a total beat down. Antinidos and discounted spells to clear the board. Turn 10 he died.

Tempo mage can have some incredible come backs, even if you stumble out of the gates, but you have to save up for those huge board swings. Keep what is in your deck in mind.

I love these days, always new cards cropping up to talk about.

Scarlet Regent-
I like the looks of this card. 3/3 is certainly passable. Getting extra mileage out of hero power early on, I think is pretty swell. Those small advantages in the early game can lead to a snowball victory. If this is a neutral card, I would not mind running this in rogue tbh.

Garrison Commander-
I kinda like this one as well. It'll be hard to fit that in early though because of curve, but the potential with maiden seems decent. I generally do like cards that can have high value when used even off curve.

Justicar Trueheart-
Awesome card. Increases the value of your zero card costing card, your hero power. Which in turn makes all inspire cards more appealing. I think people might scoff at this and say, well 6/3 is terrible stats and it won't see play. But I think this card can have a very big impact. Control decks with it can now better play the attrition game (something sorely lacking in the game atm and to be fair still may not change with this). And look, doubling hunter hero power apparently broke the game so they set it to 3 instead, so apparently this is how strong the effect is (
semi-kappa
).

If you think about it, this is the highest value card we've seen so far because doubling your hero power over several turns is where it really pulls ahead imo. Yes, the stats aren't great but he always does something when played and the effect is permanent even after removal. That priest heal doubling is huge. Same with tank up (armor up). I think this could be the card people underestimate.

So what do we expect in terms of class cards im betting 8 per class 3 commons 2 rares 2 epics 1 legendary.

I'm guessing more than GVG since BRM had double that of Naxx.

Pooya

Sometimes hearthstone is pure RNG.

My last 3 losses:

Innervate Force of Nature, savage roar, ravage roar with nothing on board.

Priest with auchenai circle, followed by auchenai circle again, followed by Sylvanas lightbomb.

Paladin with equality consecration, followed by equality consecration.....

Druids always have the cards, always.

I had counterspell in the brawl, druid plays neutralize, then a second neutralize. I'm like ok it happens.

two turns later I have counterspell up again, he plays swipe then a second swipe.... what are the chances? lol I got a lot of value there but still damn....

Blizzard finally added higher quality images of the cards from the tournament yesterday to the site.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/expansions-adventures/the-grand-tournament/cards

I think Draenei Totemcarver has my favorite art so far. Although almost all the card art is fantastic up to this point.

en-us-full.png

Wonder when Blizzard is finally going to reveal that card from the poll

Hopefully Blizzard releases the cards a little more liberally than they did for GvG. I'd prefer they release 3-4 every day rather than one every day and then just dump the rest the day before release.

Sure alex and rag are hilarious in the brawl but it seems like nobody ever plays around mirror entity.

I had some decent success with a secrets Mage. Mirror Entity to copy their big drops, Vaporize to kill the ones that dodged Polymorph/Fireball, Counterspell to block Mind Control/Removals, and Ice Block to stall until I can drop Alex + burn.

squidyj

I had some decent success with a secrets Mage. Mirror Entity to copy their big drops, Vaporize to kill the ones that dodged Polymorph/Fireball, Counterspell to block Mind Control/Removals, and Ice Block to stall until I can drop Alex + burn.

I didn't really go in for vaporize, I considered counterspell to fuck with their combo turns but I couldn't figure out what I wanted to cut,

I just run alex, rag, antonidas, ice blocks, mirror entities, all of my burn cards, mirror entity, iceblock, cycling and draw cards, nova's, cones of cold, and, the real dick move of my deck, mirror image, most people don't have efficient removal so they waste a lot of time and energy getting rid of a pair of 0/2's and they partner up with my 9 mana plays really well.

gutshot

Blizzard's official Hearthstone channel doesn't exist though.

Edit: I'm 99% sure about this. Everyone just links the images posted on Reddit, I can't see any first hand information at all.

Your reasoning seemed sound so I figured we'd better get an official response. I checked with Whirthun to see if they are real or not and he confirmed they are in fact real.

https://twitter.com/CM_Whirthun/status/624333690378842113

Asked a follow up question about whether they are actually neutral cards and am awaiting a response.

Ultrabum

I played 13 games against hunter today.

If they played mad scientist on or before turn 4, I went 2-6.

If they did not play mad scientist on or before turn 4, I went 5-0.

Mad scientist literally its own win condition.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I played 13 games against hunter today.

If they played mad scientist on or before turn 4, I went 2-6.

If they did not play mad scientist on or before turn 4, I went 5-0.

Mad scientist literally its own win condition.
Run an Ironbeak Owl. I think Hunter is one of the easiest matchups I have as a control Warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom