• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

I mean clearly its an improvement, I just don't think its as good compared to the other heroes like mage and warrior. Getting to choose one is good, but if it was summon both you have a 50% chance of getting the one you want anyways, I dunno.

Filling the board with endless taunt totems will be fun.

Also, double or tripling up spell power could be crazy.

I think Ball of Spiders would be playable if the webspinners had Charge. Even then, it'd be pretty slow, but at least you'd impact the board and be able to play the beasts that turn and/or the next. It'd be trading pretty terrible board impact for card advantage.

I also think people are overestimating the power of Lock and Load. To be even close to a good as an Arcane Intellect, you need to draw two cards. So you need to use two spells that turn, on top of the Lock and Load itself. That's not only pretty slow, but it assumes a Hunter will have that many spells in hand by turn, what, 5? At the minimum? And that the spells would be the most effective thing to do that turn.

Plus, the cards are random, so unlike Arcane Intellect, they won't necessarily fit into your deck/gameplan smoothly, and may actually just suck. Sure, it has the potential to ball out of control and win games, but so do a lot of cards that aren't used because they're both too slow and inconsistent -- a problem I think Lock and Load may have.

However, if it is still pretty powerful, I think it'll be a good thing, as it will encourage Hunters to play a slower game. God knows I'm sick of Face Hunters!

There are few hands more annoying then the coin + Minibot and turn 2 minibot starter, save for BS mech mage/shaman starters and druid shenanigans

Speaking of Druid shenanigans, saw this today on the Hearthstone reddit

Vk7RpWt.png

This might be fun to go back to in 6 weeks. They just got a 3 mana 3/2 that has a 12.5% chance to just win you the game.

Shamans got some cards that means the class "might" work somewhat today.

That doesn't necessarily help when the other classes get 70 odd new tools to improve too.

It feels like this expansion will be the beginning of rebuilding the class, but it will take a lot more.

I just got destroyed by a Murloc Paladin in this Brawl. Turn one Grimscale Oracle x2 and Coldlight Seer followed by a Divine Favor.

Uh ok.

My turn 1 I play a big minion. His turn 2: Old Murk-Eye, Murloc Warleader, Annoy-o-Tron.

RIP me.

Murlocadin is the best murloc deck. So much fun.

Minsc

Gold Member

Well, that's a first, a Hunter that played no minions in response to a turn 1 Chow, until round 4 with the MS.

It didn't work out so well for the Hunter, turn 6 win (for a Priest!). Felt like an alternate reality or something. He also had pleasant manners and gg'd at the end and didn't quit early.

It didn't work out so well for the Hunter, turn 6 win (for a Priest!). Felt like an alternate reality or something. He also had pleasant manners and gg'd at the end and didn't quit early.

Feign of death hunter?

Is it just me or does it feel like Bane of Doom has been nerfed again i rarely pull any high demons from it, or am i just never lucky?

I get that feeling about Bane of Doom and implosion. Before the last month, I didn't think rolling two on it was even possible.

Hupsel

Im level 11 now on Hearthstone and seem to not be able to advance anymore with my Rogue deck.

With so many classes like locks having their giants, everyone having Dr.Booms, mages with thousands of secrets that don't let them die I just feel like my rogue doesnt have half the option they have. I just ray I get my poisons/oil and so on.

Also If I dont get blade flurry in a match thats a 100% guaranteed loss. Sucks that this is one of the few options to clear the board... and still have to add poison, oil and pray that the other guy dont break the weapon so you dont have to waist 2 mana points. Just a lot of work to get stuff done with my dear rogue.

Im level 11 now on Hearthstone and seem to not be able to advance anymore with my Rogue deck.

With so many classes like locks having their giants, everyone having Dr.Booms, mages with thousands of secrets that don't let them die I just feel like my rogue doesnt have half the option they have. I just ray I get my poisons/oil and so on.

Also If I dont get blade flurry in a match thats a 100% guaranteed loss. Sucks that this is one of the few options to clear the board... and still have to add poison, oil and pray that the other guy dont break the weapon so you dont have to waist 2 mana points. Just a lot of work to get stuff done with my dear rogue.

Mix up your deck. Add kezan, sabotage or even vanish. If you track your wins and losses, you'll pretty quickly find out what you need to do to bump up your win %.

Then keep adjusting.

Or just play Handlock/Patron and be done with it.

Hupsel

Mix up your deck. Add kezan, sabotage or even vanish. If you track your wins and losses, you'll pretty quickly find out what you need to do to bump up your win %.

Then keep adjusting.

Or just play Handlock/Patron and be done with it.

Yeah Im going to try with one Kezan and Sabotage, removing one fan of knives and one Azure Drake. Thanks for the tip! The problem is that blade flurry is needed for almost anything, its a pain.

highfive.gif

I actually think Sabotage is a really good card, surprised more people don't play it, especially in this meta with the combo effect

Then again I don't know shit about how to play Rogue

Dahbomb

Blizzard had to make bane of doom summon 9 cost minions by chance...

They really don't get that some points about how much RNG should decide a match.... they really don't.
It's gotten to the point where some cards are essentially "roll a 20 sided die... if you get 20 you win the game automatically".

And they haven't shown signs of slowing down with the next expansion with cards like that random spell summoning minion.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think there are several reasons why Blizzard keeps things random.

1.) Sometimes, it really does make for interesting card design. Being able to calculate the odds of certain scenarios happening and trying to manipulate the odds into your favor is actually a fairly compelling method of card design. Sometimes you have to choose between two dice rolls and figuring out the risk vs reward of each one is actually very interesting.
2.) It makes for memorable moments and epic video montages. Seriously, those Trolden videos are popular for a reason. This is good advertising for the game and most everybody loves those videos.
3.) Other times, it actually increases the speed of gameplay and makes card interaction easier. Think about a card like Resurrect for a moment. In most other card games, it's a graveyard interaction card, where you basically pick which card you want to bring back. In Hearthstone, it's random. Isn't it quicker and simpler to play Resurrect when it's random? If it wasn't consider how much more complicated the UI would have to be to accommodate being able to choose which creature comes back? With it being random, it just immediately comes back with no waiting.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Blizzard hasn't occasionally abused RNG from time to time (Crackle and Implosion for example), and cards like those should be avoided. But just because a card has "random" in the text somewhere doesn't make it bad design or something that should be avoided.

Yea

I started as Priest but then switched. I love the class but they need something big. Even non face hunter decks are better than anything you could do with Priest.

Im actually surprised i got golden portrait priest in the current meta of ignore everything just go face.

_DrMario_

Made it to Rank 8, 7 and 6 for the first time today. Been playing Mech Shaman exclusively since last week to grind out the remaining 180 wins or so I needed for my first golden hero. Just focusing on grinding out wins makes me a lot less salty playing ranked. Only 75 wins to go.

Dart

I play priest exclusively since launch, I really hope I can put my golden shadowform to use this time :)

Also blackrock mt. was a complete let down for priest.

I play priest exclusively since launch, I really hope I can put my golden shadowform to use this time :)

Also blackrock mt. was a complete let down for priest.

That is a good one i think Justicar not buffing shadowform should be quite telling.

Yep dragon synergy is a bust so the one drop is pretty useless and resurrect is decent but once again rng based. Dark Cultist was nice till GvG came out.

Joco

Speaking of priest, what do people think of Sacred Warrior.

To me it looks like a very promising addition for priest. Lightwarden can be a powerful card for Priest but the problem has always been its 2 health. Sacred Warrior's 3/5 body is much more difficult to deal with.

Hah, wow... this priest actually is playing a divine spirit innerfire deck. He played a deathlord, and between PWS and divine spirit, got his damage up to 20 with innerfire, and brought me down to 6 hp. Of course I sapped it and won a couple turns later.

It's gotten to the point where some cards are essentially "roll a 20 sided die... if you get 20 you win the game automatically".

And they haven't shown signs of slowing down with the next expansion with cards like that random spell summoning minion.

Random spell summoning dude looks fine to me. Bane of doom basically removing a minion and summoning a malganis is a total different beast imo.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Priest just needs some early game threat that isn't just Northshire Cleric.

Feel like if you really buff their early game they might swing more towards the OP side of things.

Going with the a good unique legendary at least means you have to slow the game down and get to a point where it's usable.

I could be wrong though, and balance is always razor thing.

Pooya

I hope we get some good 3 drop dragons, I really like to use cards like Blackwing Corrupter, it just doesn't work right now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That card is going to compete with Blackwing Technician unfortunately.

That's why I had previously suggested that there should be an anti-aggro 2 drop dragon instead. It was a 2 mana 2/3 that healed 3 damage on the face.

Pooya

3 drops mechs co exist with 3 drop Tinkertown, I think it will be fine. Just use one blackwing technician, there are not many dragons right now for even blackwing technician to work reliably compared with mechs.

Dragon Consort should have been neutral too, they just limited dragons for no reason. It's like if mechwarper was a class card.

Pooya

I was thinking the only way to get Coldarra working is with Consort, it goes both ways.

With mechs, class mechs were reasonably distributed, most of them were trash except minibot and zap-o-matic. Cards like Iron Sensei would break the game if they were neutral for example. All the best ones were neutral and there are tons of mechs, granted mage got the best synergy still mech shaman is a thing for example.

With dragons, there are so few of them already it's hard to make a deck for any class and best one is locked behind a class and another cheap one is locked behind another class...

Pooya

The other thing I was thinking is that Effigy might be the card that pushes Mad Scientist over the edge and finally push them to nerf it.

You play 2 mana scientist like every time, it does its already value move of drawing a card (average value of it is about 2 mana in the game) and play it too (3 mana).

The thing is now that on next turn Effigy is likely going to work on a 4 mana drop often or at worst a 3 mana one. Let's say you have a shredder which probably dies on the turn it is played.

The difference with mirror entity is that, you could remove the shredder and thinking it's mirror you either play the worst minion you have or possibly even wait a turn to have something worse to play if you think you can afford it and board isn't looking so bad.

Now with Effigy, the longer you wait the worse it gets. It could work on 5-6 drops instead of 4. The value is too good there.
You have to kill that shredder as fast as you can which in effect turn that shredder to a Sky Golem deathrattle on top of its own deathrattle.

It's very unlikely you can mirror a 4 drop unless the player is just bad, these days mirror entity isn't bringing much value, what it does is interrupting plans which is very good still. From mad scientist you get the usual 5 mana value plus something like 2-3 added to it. With Effigy you could hit 9 for example. The way to play around it is to wait for the shredder to die on opponent's turn and make effigy work on the two drop it comes out of it but it's pretty hard and you're leaving that shredder alive for a turn which in itself is a lot of value.

Dahbomb

Yeah having to guess between Mirror Image and Effigy is going to be a huge pain in the ass.

And Mad Scientist gonna Mad Scientist. Ain't nothing new about that.

Xanathus

Also Mech/Tempo Mage gets a buff simply by replacing Mirror Entity with Effigy because Freeze Mage can't play a Doomsayer/Explosive Sheep into Mirror Entity, and you get to keep tempo by having the minion stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom