• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get quest "Destroy 40 minions".

Play against three freeze mages in a row.

giphy.gif

Wahahahaha

I just quit those games there is not enough time in the world for me to bother with lame mage.

Any tips for a noobie? I just downloaded it the other day.... leauge of legends taking it's toll on me want to try something new. Tried few casual matches and winning about like 50% overall (would say like 65-70% on Paladin and Hunter, but Priest is like 30% Lol.... and mage is like 50ish) of the games and tried like 6 rank games so far and gone 4-2. Tried the arena thing too and went 3-3.

Santiako

Any tips for a noobie? I just downloaded it the other day.... leauge of legends taking it's toll on me want to try something new. Tried few casual matches and winning about like 50% overall (would say like 65-70% on Paladin and Hunter, but Priest is like 30% Lol.... and mage is like 50ish) of the games and tried like 6 rank games so far and gone 4-2. Tried the arena thing too and went 3-3.

When I started I made these decks from this guide to get a feel for all the classes and get some packs and gold, it was really helpful for me:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/related/2fgq0x/basic_deck_guides_for_all_9_classes_0_dust/

Rapstah

Watch the original Trump Teachings series, although if you went 3-3 in Arena you can't be doing everything wrong.

There's definitely an intent to vacuum it to your hand when it's going to die otherwise.

As a vanilla arena draft you might end up using that without ever using your hero power, but that doesn't strike me as the reason you would design a card like this.

It helps you in the mid to end game when you're starting to run low on cards in your hand and can win via incremental value. It's unlikely to be something you would run unless you were a relatively new player in constructed, which is why it's common.

Isn't it a rare? It's complete trash btw. The effect is clearly a drawback (especially if there are good inspire cards in the expansion). At 2 mana it could be playable, but 3 is too much.

G.ZZZ

Isn't it a rare? It's complete trash btw. The effect is clearly a drawback (especially if there are good inspire cards in the expansion). At 2 mana it could be playable, but 3 is too much.

2 mana 2/5 with an upside is what count as a "good" card now ?

You guys deserve a 6/7 Dr. Boom.

Since you can use the effect to yout advantage,it isn't.

If it was a choice I would agree with you. Since it isn't it's a drawback in all, but the most fringe cases.

It's like saying the heal from Zombie Chow isn't a drawback since you can combo it with Auchenai Soulpriest to deal 5 damage instead. It's still considered a drawback and the card is costed like so.

Acinixys

You guys are all looking at this shit in a vacuum

You cant say its a good or bad card until you see the other 100+ cards in the expansion

What if there is a 2 drop that says "Inspire - Draw 2 cards if a minion returns to your hand this turn"

This suddenly becomes pretty insane

jgminto

New card needs charge, even though that would be a totally frustrating auto-include in face hunter card. The stats seem decent when played on Turn 3 but it would probably just get crushed if inspired and replayed past Turn 5.

You cant say its a good or bad card until you see the other 100+ cards in the expansion

What if there is a 2 drop that says "Inspire - Draw 2 cards if a minion returns to your hand this turn"

Sure. What if there's a 1 drop that says deal 20 damage to the opponent's hero if you return Coliseum Manager to your hand? True, anything is possible.

However we can sort of infer such a card won't be coming out. Given the information we have available I'm making the call that it's trash. Sure I could turn out to be wrong after the whole set comes out and this will indeed see play in constructed (it won't though). That's the whole point of speculating, which is all we can do until the whole set is revealed. It's part of the fun.

Ultrabum

This is true, the other cards could make this good.

Just like the new dragons could make dragon decks good, but they didn't. Just like this probably won't be good.

Edit: I really really hope I'm wrong, I really really want totem shamen to be good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If it's a taunt it should be 2/4. 2/5 taunt would get played even without the extra ability.

A 3 mana 2/4 taunt should probably just be a thing that exists without any other weird text, but I don't think there's much difference between a 2/5 or a 2/4 taunt with that text makes much of a difference.

We really have no choice but to look at stuff as they are because it's kind of difficulty to predict how good a card is. Everyone knows Grim Patrons are amazing but nobody really thought that they would be useful outside of maybe Mage in Arena because Warsong Commander hadn't been changed yet.

Rapstah

What if there's a 0 mana card that says "if you played Coliseum Manager this turn, summon Dr. Boom"???

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sure, it's not as good as Druid of the Flame. I'm just saying that I think it's wrong to see it as a terrible extremely slow card. It's a mediocre-to-okay fast-ish card.

Playing Druid of the Flame as a 5/2 is a very greedy play. You usually play it as a 2/5 like 95% of the time. Saying that Druid of the Flame is substantially better is over exaggerating.

We really have no choice but to look at stuff as they are because it's kind of difficulty to predict how good a card is. Everyone knows Grim Patrons are amazing but nobody really thought that they would be useful outside of maybe Mage in Arena because Warsong Commander hadn't been changed yet.

Blizzard demonstrated the Warsong Commander change with Grim Patron in one of their early BRM showmatches. They just hadn't refined the deck to what it exactly became. I think there were a lot of questions with Grim Patron. People just were not sure. I don't think people were necessarily saying it was going to be a bad card, they just had trouble predicting ita full potential.

If it was a choice I would agree with you. Since it isn't it's a drawback in all, but the most fringe cases.

It's like saying the heal from Zombie Chow isn't a drawback since you can combo it with Auchenai Soulpriest to deal 5 damage instead. It's still considered a drawback and the card is costed like so.

Its not necessarily a drawback in the same reason the Brewmaster effects are not really drawbacks.

Blizzard demonstrated the Warsong Commander change with Grim Patron in one of their early BRM showmatches. They just hadn't refined the deck to what it exactly became. I think there were a lot of questions with Grim Patron. People just were not sure. I don't think people were necessarily saying it was going to be a bad card, they just had trouble predicting ita full potential.

Really? I don't remember that, but seems you're right. Maybe not a great example then.

V-Faction

Warsong Commander is the one piece of the equation that folks tend to forget about. And, wouldn't ya know it, it was a change made to an already existing card instead of a brand new one.

Fake edit: My favorite thing to do is take the new cards and compare them against alllll of the old ones to see if cool combos can be done. Hypothetically, there could be one magical fresh unseen card that locks all the pieces together, but the pool is still small compared to the existing giant ocean of cards. And they're still some of the best around.

Its not necessarily a drawback in the same reason the Brewmaster effects are not really drawbacks.

People usually Brewmaster minions with added benefits, charge, battlecry's, divine shield, etc. To drawback a card that has zero effect on the board when it's played is usually a bad tempo play

Dahbomb

A 3 mana 2/4 taunt should probably just be a thing that exists without any other weird text, but I don't think there's much difference between a 2/5 or a 2/4 taunt with that text makes much of a difference.
Breh what you mean... you aren't satisfied with this amazing 3 drop taunt?

Silverback_Patriarch%28611%29.png

Adwcta discusses the new cards in the context of Arena, parts 1 and two. He makes a lot of points, some of the most interesting relating to the Inspire mechanic in Arena, which I'd roughly summarise as: 1) It's broadly a good mechanic for Arena - it requires thought and planning to use effectively, and therefore makes the game more interesting and skill dependent; 2) Not all hero powers are created equal - this will be much less good with the Warrior and Rogue than the Mage and Warlock. Priest will be even more snowbally since it's hero power goes from trash to excellent depending on whether it can establish a board; 3) Inspire cards all have synergy with each other since one use of the hero power can activate all their effects simultaneously - they are essentially a tribe; 4) The Arena meta will be slower because people will be using hero power more often and Inspire cards have "pseudo-taunt"; 5) Some Inspire cards are late game focussed - e.g. Kodorider should never be used as a 6-drop, but as an 8-drop, since it's pretty bad if you don't use it's Inspire to summon a War Kodo; Lowly Squire is a bad 1-drop, but good to throw in as a 2/2 when you'd be using the hero power anyway - but some are fine to use on curve; e.g. Silver Hand Regent, where 3/3 for 3 is acceptable.

He also runs down the cards announced so far in an Arena context, excluding the legendaries, summarised by me into "really good/good/average/bad":

Really good: North Sea Kraken (Common), Sacred Warrior (Common), Totem Golem (Common), Thunder Bluff Valiant (Rare)
Good: Kodorider (Epic), Frost Giant (Epic), Silver Hand Regent (Common), Ball of Spiders (Rare), Fallen Hero (Rare), Coldarra Drake (Epic), Tuskarr Totemic (Common), Draenai Totemcarver (Rare)
Average: Lowly Squire (Common), Garrison Commander (Common), Maiden of the Lake (Common), Effigy (Rare)
Bad: Poisoned Blade (Epic), Tournament Medic (Common), Lock and Load (Epic), King's Defender* (Rare)

*I don't think he actually discusses this card directly, but he is very unhappy at how Warrior has been treated in Arena and says nothing he's seen so far suggests Blizzard are improving things for the class, so by implication it's nothing to get hyped about.

But go listen to his reasoning! His analysis raised a lot of points I hadn't considered in depth before, and I'm sure anyone serious about the Arena would learn from it.

At the very end he turns to the long-term future of Arena, and compares it's "limited deck" drafting to Magic the Gathering's limited formats to argue that Arena is likely to get more popular as more and more cards are released and the constructed "ramp up" time for new players increases, but that Arena is monetized very poorly at the moment, since most frequent Arena players are at least soft-infinite, so Blizzard will need to make changes. He says that currently Blizzard doesn't focus much on Arena and the "community interest" split between constructed and Arena is likely between 66/33 or 75/25 in constructed's favour, but as the game gets older, there's likely to be an evening out of interest, and Arena will be made competitive at some point. (But then, he would say that, wouldn't he.)

snipedn40

Neo Member
Not sure about this card...seems that it has to have interaction with something else, otherwise it's unplayable.

Blizzard really needs to include some great anti-aggro cards in the 2-4 drop range, otherwise the inspire mechanic is going to be way too slow for competitive play.

Pooya

about 5 hours and only 15%, TGT is a flop!!1111

tomorrow it is I guess.

--------------

there is another card reveal from a Portuguese podcast tomorrow.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Breh what you mean... you aren't satisfied with this amazing 3 drop taunt?

Silverback_Patriarch%28611%29.png

Ironically that thing would probably be even more useless at 2-4 since it'd no longer work for the Hobgoblin deck, the only deck that might consider using it.

Malice215

Blizzard better have some juicy stuff on deck to show me before I put my preorder in. Coliseum Manager is not it. At least it will be good in arena.

JesseZao

tomorrow it is I guess.

--------------

Manipulating fans to advertise for them on twitter has to reach a point of exhaustion eventually. Remember when facebook like campaigns were a thing?

Trump's stream has been fucking depressing today. He's been super rude to viewers and was getting rocked on ladder. Ruder than usual I should add, flat out disrespectful at times.

JesseZao

Trump's stream has been fucking depressing today. He's been super rude to viewers and was getting rocked on ladder. Ruder than usual I should add, flat out disrespectful at times.

He's maxed out his viewer reach with milquetoast trump so he's trying the negging approach now.

tomorrow it is I guess.

--------------

I think it's just super slow at updating or Blizzard is limiting somehow.

I was looking at Twitter earlier and there was at least one bot going crazy.

Up to 19% now as well.

Werd

One card in hand vs my 6 minion board, Paladin draws equality to go with his madder bomber. He stupidly does not trade his one minion into my Cult Master to deny potential huge draw... and the bomber snipes it first shot and never hits his minion. Salt.

Btu then the next game made up for it when I'm down 24-1 health and behind on board (Velens'd Tank took me about 4 cards and 3 pings to kill), but draw my Antonidas with frost bolt and a spare part in hand. A-ha! A-ha!

Anyway, that 2-5 card is really strange. Hopefully there are some really key cards among the vast majority we haven't seen, two expansions in a row where the main theme just loses to the current meta would be unfortunate. Although it all looks fine for Arena which is a pretty sizable portion of Hearthstone games played at least.

Dahbomb

Really good: North Sea Kraken (Common), Sacred Warrior (Common), Totem Golem (Common), Thunder Bluff Valiant (Rare)
Good: Kodorider (Epic), Frost Giant (Epic), Silver Hand Regent (Common), Ball of Spiders (Rare), Fallen Hero (Rare), Coldarra Drake (Epic), Tuskarr Totemic (Common), Draenai Totemcarver (Rare)
Average: Lowly Squire (Common), Garrison Commander (Common), Maiden of the Lake (Common), Effigy (Rare)
Bad: Poisoned Blade (Epic), Tournament Medic (Common), Lock and Load (Epic), King's Defender* (Rare)
Sounds about right really.

The Colisseum Manager is probably going to be above average on the tier list.

Dreavus

I've been playing a variation of oil rogue at the low low ranks and it's been pretty fun. The deck can close out a game like nobody's business.

Line_HTX

Hey guys, how's it going?

Is it me or was last week's Tavern Brawl was super fun? I felt like I didn't have to worry about anything and could mess around with whatever deck I wanted.

a621ccbf89.jpg

NOT PICTURED: Dr. Doom, Golden Sneeds Old Shredder, Malygos

I lost a few here and there to Priests and some lucky Paladins and Hunters, but I amassed 30 wins really quickly in two days. I hope they bring this Sunwell back, haha.

There was one game where a Hunter threw down Deathwing and I had no way to deal with it immediately, and even with Assassins Blade equipped I couldn't kill him with 4 health left, so I decided to put down ETC. I got Rogues Do It... for the perfect lethal.

aaaAAAaaa eSports aaaAAAaaa

Edit: Wow, Holy Champion is a better version of Lightwarden, damn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom