• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

From the Hearthstone Facebook.

Looks like Sacred Warrior is actually called Holy Champion.

Also King's Defender only gains +1 durability if you have a minion taunt rather than +1 durability for EACH minion with taunt.
LMAO King's Defender actually ended up being worse than initially reveal.

Like what in the fuck... this card is SSSSSOOOO bad. Like this card actually makes Warrior worse because it dilutes their Rare pool with this garbage.

JesseZao

LMAO King's Defender actually ended up being worse than initially reveal.

Like what in the fuck... this card is SSSSSOOOO bad. Like this card actually makes Warrior worse because it dilutes their Rare pool with this garbage.

Maybe it'll be part of Mech Warrior. Drop Annoy-O on 2 then this to follow-up and keep board clear while you drop mechs.

I see no room to fit King's Defender in with most Warrior decks running 2 Fiery War Axe and 2 Death's Bite.

Holy Champion should see some play, will be pretty good in arena I bet.

From the Hearthstone Facebook.

Looks like Sacred Warrior is actually called Holy Champion.

Also King's Defender only gains +1 durability if you have a minion taunt rather than +1 durability for EACH minion with taunt.

Holy Champion will be nice in some constructed decks and will be great in arena.

Said it before, but King's Defender is a garbage warrior weapon and won't see any play in constructed.

johnsmith

remember me
These Patrick ascii arts keep getting grosser and grosser.

Reynad's chat right now is the worst I've ever seen.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I see no room to fit King's Defender in with most Warrior decks running 2 Fiery War Axe and 2 Death's Bite.
There's a certain appeal to running five weapons in a deck, but it'd be much stronger with +1 attack on it rather than +1 durability.

There's a certain appeal to running five weapons in a deck, but it'd be much stronger with +1 attack on it rather than +1 durability.

I think the most weapons I saw ran was that Charge/Face Warrior deck that used Arcanite Reapers, Upgrade, Deaths Bites a Gorehowl and 1 Fiery War Axe.

But yes if it was +1/+1 it would be better, but that's a 3 mana Assassin's Blade, it would probably be 4 then.

Oops, Assassin's Blade is 3/4. Still would probably cost 4.

JesseZao

Decks that run King's Defender won't run Fiery War Axe. It'll have to be a mid-range or aggro type deck. I don't think it'll be run in CW unless they all start running Ghouls. Even then, I don't see it. It'll have to be a new deck.

Frenden

Banned
I stopped playing for a bit during Blackrock. I just bought it and unlocked all the cards. Is the meta any different after BR? I watched a few streams and it seems like Dragon stuff didn't catch on.

Dahbomb

Cards like King's Defender are the worst kind of cards you can introduce in the expansion.

It doesn't do anything special and in more than 90% cases it's a strictly worse card than a card that has been a class arsenal since the game's inception.

It's basically like introducing a 5 mana Swipe but having some extra text like "deal 1 extra damage to a random minion if you have taunt".

Skux

That King's Defender.... stealth Blingtron nerf lol.

Why would anyone ever play a 3 mana 3/3 when Fiery War Axe exists.

I stopped playing for a bit during Blackrock. I just bought it and unlocked all the cards. Is the meta any different after BR? I watched a few streams and it seems like Dragon stuff didn't catch on.

Warrior Deck using Grim Patrons is the strongest.

Mage uses Flamewaker in Tempo.

Emperor Thaurissan common in lots of decks.

Some hunters use Quick Shot.

That's about it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Decks that run King's Defender won't run Fiery War Axe. It'll have to be a mid-range or aggro type deck. I don't think it'll be run in CW unless they all start running Ghouls. Even then, I don't see it. It'll have to be a new deck.
It's one thing to pick King's Defender alongside Fiery War Axe, and another to choose it instead of FWA. FWA is essential as a tool for removal of dangerous 1 or 2 drops. The extra mana cost on KD for a card that is only situationally better is pretty brutal, and it doesn't even combo with Dread Corsair. Even when you do reap the battlecry off King's Defender the durability is almost a liability, because it slows you down from playing Death's Bite.

CoolOff

Lol @ King's Defender. I was sort of sticking up for it if it gained one for each taunt, it at least had a reason for existing then. This is just sad.

Dragons were a flop. Grim Patron Warrior runs the ladder right now. Midrange Paladins are back to being underwhelming because of the rise of Patron Warrior, but Aggro Paladin keeps Paladin pretty relevant. Boom is Boom. Hunters are still Hunters. Imp Gang Boss and Flamewaker were awesome cards. Play Nefarian for maximum fun.

Did I miss anything?

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot Thaurissan gets used a lot and is one of the reasons Patron Warrior is so strong.

JesseZao

It's one thing to pick King's Defender alongside Fiery War Axe, and another to choose it instead of FWA. FWA is essential as a tool for removal of dangerous 1 or 2 drops. The extra mana cost on KD for a card that is only situationally better is pretty brutal, and it doesn't even combo with Dread Corsair. Even when you do reap the battlecry off King's Defender the durability is almost a liability, because it slows you down from playing Death's Bite.

Yeah. I don't see it being used in any current decks. It doesn't provide an answer to any current flaws. I'm just trying to be open to it having a spot in a value/grinder type warrior. (I just like new cards and want to think that I could find a use for them. Part of the fun in cards games for me) It doesn't look that great as it stands, I'll agree. though.

Maybe there'll be a pirate warrior deck that runs FWA and KD as the only weapons. Who knows? I just want to try new things!

Dahbomb

King's Defender is going to see play in Arena when you have to pick it among other mediocre rares.

At least King's Defender is better than Ogremaul. King's Defender probably won't lose you the game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Edit: Wow, Holy Champion is a better version of Lightwarden, damn...

It's not so much that lightwarden is bad as it is the fact that the effect doesn't really belong on a 1 mana minion. It's an extremely powerful 1 drop.... when it's not played on Turn 1. That's its weakness.

Holy Champion you might not be totally ashamed to play it on curve, and like lightwarden can setup some surprise lethals with wild pyro and circle of healing combos.

Dahbomb

I feel like ADWCTA is going to give that card a really low tier score just out of spite. He's so tired of Warrior being ass in Arena.

Dahbomb

So is Holy Champion more likely to be a one or two of for Priest?
Too early to say but I can say for sure it's a very good Arena card.

Priest now has their own smooth curve with a good 2 drop, a good 3 drop and now a good 4 drop for Arena and I guess Constructed too.

Definitely among the more solid cards to be introduced in the set even if it's just the same effect on a different mana cost card (but that's good because quite a lot of good effects are stuck on terrible mana cost cards).

Dahbomb

Out of curiosity what's the current Arena tier for heroes?

I see some google results, but I don't know how up to date they are.
Mage is best, Paladin is a close second.

After that it varies a bit depending on who you talk to, I feel they are all fairly strong with Druid lacking a bit these days due to faster meta.

Warrior is easily the worst.

Eteric Rice

Is there a reason why I can't download HS on the Amazon app store right now? I won a code for half off and now I don't even see that shit on Amazon.

Dre

Is there a reason why I can't download HS on the Amazon app store right now? I won a code for half off and now I don't even see that shit on Amazon.

You won the Team Archon 50% discount code am I right? Me too.
I redeemed it and bought the packs, but unfortunately Amazon charged me the full amount. There's probably something wrong with the app right now, maybe that's why they removed it temporarily.

Eteric Rice

I redeemed it and bought the packs, but unfortunately Amazon charged me the full amount. There's probably something wrong with the app right now, maybe that's why they removed it temporarily.

I have to redeem it through HS from the Amazon store, aye? I already locked the code into my account. Just waiting for it to come back up.

I thought all of those amazon prize codes were for discounts on coins. So you have to buy the coins first and then you use the coins to buy the packs.

zoukka

Thing about TCG's you can't just print better and better cards in every expansion. Power creep kills the game. Kings Defender is a fine arena card and it's not absolutely worse than War-axe since they are different kind of cards. Will constructed decks need a card like that? Most likely not, but that's just the nature of this game, warrior already has weapons that cover early-mid-late game.

TCG's need huge card variety more than anything. Weird combinations and shifts in meta might make former unplayables relevant again.

Dreavus

Thing about TCG's you can't just print better and better cards in every expansion. Power creep kills the game. Kings Defender is a fine arena card and it's not absolutely worse than War-axe since they are different kind of cards. Will constructed decks need a card like that? Most likely not, but that's just the nature of this game, warrior already has weapons that cover early-mid-late game.

TCG's need huge card variety more than anything. Weird combinations and shifts in meta might make former unplayables relevant again.

Ideally it's side grades and new mechanics. It's really cool that we've got a new keyword coming up in this set. But you're right, everything can't be amazing, and the existence of arena means a lot of cards will see play there even if they can't pull their weight in constructed.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

Totally this, it is/should be just about adding more options and new metas to the game to allow a wider variety of options. The thing Blizzard have over physical TCGs is the ability to retroactively change cards without having to re-release them, another good reason to not have to release cards that are too powerful as an answer to previously OP cards.

Still I'm concerned this new mechanic is just too slow still with the mana costs it brings to make use of the inspire. I don't see this being the solution to the Face Hunters, Patrons, etc. But there are still many, many cards to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom