• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0lken

I was just thinking that Justicar and Baron Geddon would make a nice team on Shaman, first you summon your Geddon and because you can choose your totem you summon the healing one after geddon and then your minions will always survive Geddon's effect.

And I also just thought of a nice mechanic for Shaman, shame that we won't see it soon, if ever: Minions that reduce their cost for every locked crystal you have from overcharge. Please Blizzard give me those >.<

Ultrabum

I was just thinking that Justicar and Baron Geddon would make a nice team on Shaman, first you summon your Geddon and because you can choose your totem you summon the healing one after geddon and then your minions will always survive Geddon's effect.

And I also just thought of a nice mechanic for Shaman, shame that we won't see it soon, if ever: Minions that reduce their cost for every locked crystal you have from overcharge. Please Blizzard give me those >.<

I'm pretty sure it would just kill the totems? They have 1-2 hp, he does 2 dmg?

Santiako

I'm trying to think some good Inspire cards, maybe something like 2 mana 2/2 Inspire: gain Divine Shield or 3 mana 2/4 taunt inspire: gain divine shield. 2 mana 2/3 Inspire: 2 random damage (like Flamewaker but for mage ping). The effect is hard to design around.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
if baron procs first it damages all the totems to 0 health and then healing totem heals them back up to 1.

I'm trying to think some good Inspire cards, maybe something like 2 mana 2/2 Inspire: gain Divine Shield or 3 mana 2/4 taunt inspire: gain divine shield. 2 mana 2/3 Inspire: 2 random damage (like Flamewaker but for mage ping). The effect is hard to design around.
There's no real reason you couldn't also have 1 time inspire effects. Like 1 mana 2/1 Inspire: gain charge. It would technically 'gain' charge every time but that is irrelevant. I think its an incredibly versatile word that would allow early game minions to be upgraded when played late game.

Another example would be like, 3 mana 3/4 inspire: gain taunt. In the early game, it is a vanilla 3/4 with no ability or tribe but in the late game its a 3/4 taunt.

f0lken

That's why you summon first Baron, he does damage first, and before the totems die your healing totem will use its effect and save your minions. I've done it before, but because you can't choose what totem to summon it was an highly unreliable combo, with Justicar coming the combo is more likely to happen.

en-gb-full.png

eerrr anti patron card? .... I don't know anymore.

I'm trying to figure out what's the point, grinding deck? by wasting 3mana + 2mana hero power?

I wonder if it'd be good in Handlock. You could get your use out of it as an early game card, then pull it back in while tapping before playing Twilight Drake or Mountain Giant. Still, the mana cost makes it a bit awkward for Twilight Drake "synergy."

Hmmm

Ultrabum

That's why you summon first Baron, he does damage first, and before the totems die your healing totem will use its effect and save your minions. I've done it before, but because you can't choose what totem to summon it was an highly unreliable combo, with Justicar coming the combo is more likely to happen.

That's pretty interesting, I've only ever had it played against me where it wipes out my board everytime.

Rapstah

That's pretty interesting, I've only ever had it played against me where it wipes out my board everytime.

If one player has Baron Geddon and the other has a Healing Totem then I believe it's one of the cases where the outcome depends on who is the "dominant player" internally. One of the players is arbitrarily player one (has nothing to do with who got the coin) and that player's end of turn effects will trigger first, then the other player's.

This means Shadow Madness and Power Overwhelming on the same minion always works differently depending on which player used Shadow Madness. Great stuff.

If one player has Baron Geddon and the other has a Healing Totem then I believe it's one of the cases where the outcome depends on who is the "dominant player" internally. One of the players is arbitrarily player one (has nothing to do with who got the coin) and that player's end of turn effects will trigger first, then the other player's.

This means Shadow Madness and Power Overwhelming on the same minion always works differently depending on which player used Shadow Madness. Great stuff.

Both Geddon and the healing totem only trigger at the end of the turn of the player that owns them. If Geddon and the totem are on opposites sides of the board, it doesn't matter who is player 1 or 2 since they won't trigger on the same turn.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Boy this Hearthstone tweet to reveal cards thing sure is going at just about the perfect rate to reveal an hour before we'd have seen the cards anyway, and at such an incredibly even pace as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Boy this Hearthstone tweet to reveal cards thing sure is going at just about the perfect rate to reveal an hour before we'd have seen the cards anyway, and at such an incredibly even pace as well.
It's almost as if it's rigged.

Pooya

With all the complaint about mad scientist and Dr. Boom, you would think Imp-losion would be an issue too but nope. This is the most bullshit damage spell in the game. Warlock spells tend to have drawbacks except this one, the cost is great, at worst it summons two imps for you and deals two damage, which never happens!!! it's 3 or 85% of times 4....ok ok, 2 out of 3 this card is great to insane value. It's ridiculous how good this spell is. Muster for Battle is already too good, this is even a bit more ridiculous. Too much value in one card, it turns around board and wins games by itself, all for 4 mana no risk involved. Look at shaman's rng spells then look at this nonsense /salt

With all the complaint about mad scientist and Dr. Boom, you would think Imp-losion would be an issue too but nope. This is the most bullshit damage spell the game. Warlock spells tend to have drawbacks except this one, the cost is great, at worst it summons two imp for you and deals two damage, which never happens!!! it's 3 or 85% of times 4.... It's ridiculous how good this spell is. Muster for Battle is already too good, this is even a bit more ridiculous. Too much value in one card, it turns around board and wins games by itself, all for 4 mana no risk involved. Look at shaman's rng spells then look at this nonsense /salt

I hate imp-plosion as well, I just don't like cards that can completely win the game on a coin flip like getting 4 imps from implosion or Milhouse/Succubus/Doomsayer from a Shredder, Unstable Portal is pretty bad too, at least those have way lower chances then getting a 4 from an Implosion.

Dahbomb

With all the complaint about mad scientist and Dr. Boom, you would think Imp-losion would be an issue too but nope. This is the most bullshit damage spell in the game. Warlock spells tend to have drawbacks except this one, the cost is great, at worst it summons two imps for you and deals two damage, which never happens!!! it's 3 or 85% of times 4....ok ok, 2 out of 3 this card is great to insane value. It's ridiculous how good this spell is. Muster for Battle is already too good, this is even a bit more ridiculous. Too much value in one card, it turns around board and wins games by itself, all for 4 mana no risk involved. Look at shaman's rng spells then look at this nonsense /salt
There's lots of salt here over Implosion as well.

Kioshen

Hafu is also very good at arena. I think I'm going to start streaming this weekend after I get my new PC and I'm fairly consistently over 7 wins.

I'll have a look when she streams on twitch. Looking at her youtube page, she looks to land more on the hyper side of the scale which might be a deal breaker but highlight reels are sometimes misleading.

As much as I can appreciate what he does around the hearthstone community I just cannot stand his stream personality. "Guys do we win !?" "Now THAT'S a card !"
rage.gif
*urge to punch face intensifies*

You mean a blatant free attempt at social network publicity is rigged by a big corporation ? Sir I am shocked !

One card I'd really like to see for Shaman is a minion sort of like Dragon Consort. Decent stats with something along the lines of "The next card you play with overload has no overload."

Maybe it would be enough for Earth Elemental to actually see play. Probably won't happen anytime soon though as it makes Lava Shock even worse than it already is.

Why aren't elementals a tribe yet? Figure that could give some kind of boost to Shaman, maybe.

We have -

Al'Akir
Ragnaros
Baron Geddon
Neptulon
Dust Devil
Fireguard Destroyer
Water Elemental
Earth Elemental
Fire Elemental
Frost Elemental
Unbound Elemental
Lightspawn
Magma Rager

Throw in a few more and some synergy cards and it could boost Shaman up. That's 14 cards, there are 17 Dragon collectible cards. It could work kind of like Demons for Warlocks.

Maybe some dumb card like Mimiron that if you play Ragnaros, Al'akir, Neptulon and Therazane and have them on the board at the same time at the start of your turn you get an instant win minion like Voltron. You could maybe count Flamewakers and Majordomo as Elementals and Elemental cards could work on Ragnaros Hero form like Sac Pact on Jaraxxus

ViviOggi

I'll have a look when she streams on twitch. Looking at her youtube page, she looks to land more on the hyper side of the scale which might be a deal breaker but highlight reels are sometimes misleading.

As much as I can appreciate what he does around the hearthstone community I just cannot stand his stream personality. "Guys do we win !?" "Now THAT'S a card !"
rage.gif
*urge to punch face intensifies*

You mean a blatant free attempt at social network publicity is rigged by a big corporation ? Sir I am shocked !
Kripp?

Yeah, Shamans also need Therazane the Stomemother! Her presence should grace Hearthstone.

I imagine Therazane will be Shaman's class legendary for this expansion.

I think so too, but then Ragnaros would be the only non-Shaman exclusive Elemental Lord.

What would Therazane do? 8 mana, summon 2 Earth Elementals, Overload 4?

Well, maybe not. Neptulon giving you Murlocs doesn't make a lot of sense

Rapstah

Both Geddon and the healing totem only trigger at the end of the turn of the player that owns them. If Geddon and the totem are on opposites sides of the board, it doesn't matter who is player 1 or 2 since they won't trigger on the same turn.

Oops, I thought Healing Totem triggered on every turn for some reason.

Implosion swings the game so damn hard. The difference between a 2 and 4 is huge. 2 can lose you the game while 4 can allow you to snowball from there for a win easily. God forbid they also have a knife juggler on the board when they hit for 4.

Kioshen

How good is Kripp really ? Turns out ... he's pretty good ! /popularquote

Kripp is mostly entertainement (I think) but I need somebody to explain the thought process behind the moves. I watch his yt videos once in a while but don't think I'll learn much from his streams.

Copenap

Implosion swings the game so damn hard. The difference between a 2 and 4 is huge. 2 can lose you the game while 4 can allow you to snowball from there for a win easily. God forbid they also have a knife juggler on the board when they hit for 4.
I partly disagree. The problem with Implosion is that it is on average already too good and even rolling a 2 rarely puts you that far behind. With an average of 3 damage amd 3 imps for 4 mana it's just too good and the 33% for 4 damage and 4 imps is just insane.

They need to have it role from 1-4 as it should have been from the beginning. Yes, that would increase the rng but it would also strongly discourage people to play it since rolling a 1 would really be terrible. As it is there is almost only upside and way too little downside and that's why everyone is playing it and thus we have so much rng.

Fireblend

Banned
Could I get some input on this rogue deck I put together? It's been winning me games at rank 18-17 but I know it's pretty subpar because of my lack of a decent collection. I don't like Sap, and Betrayal sits on my hand most of the time without seeing any use. I'd also like to replace the Kobold with an Azure Drake but I don't have the dust for one yet. Any ideas? I'm close to replacing the Sap with a second Defias Ringleader. For reference, I have access to Naxx and plan to buy the rest of BRM (last 2 wings) soon-ish.

V-Faction

Why aren't elementals a tribe yet? Figure that could give some kind of boost to Shaman, maybe.

We have -

Al'Akir
Ragnaros
Baron Geddon
Neptulon
Dust Devil
Fireguard Destroyer
Water Elemental
Earth Elemental
Fire Elemental
Frost Elemental
Unbound Elemental
Lightspawn
Magma Rager

Throw in a few more and some synergy cards and it could boost Shaman up. That's 14 cards, there are 17 Dragon collectible cards. It could work kind of like Demons for Warlocks.

Maybe some dumb card like Mimiron that if you play Ragnaros, Al'akir, Neptulon and Therazane and have them on the board at the same time at the start of your turn you get an instant win minion like Voltron. You could maybe count Flamewakers and Majordomo as Elementals and Elemental cards could work on Ragnaros Hero form like Sac Pact on Jaraxxus

Lightwarden, despite being a neutral card, is summoned via a Priest Spell, Light of the Naaru, and works best with Priest's Hero Power. They absolutely should do this. Like a Shaman version of Bane of Doom.

G.ZZZ

Not sure if this is real or not.

If it's real, it's a super good card. 3/6 in stats at 4 is probably better than 4/5 right now (trade better with most minions), and the ability to go on 3-4 inspire triggers in the same turn could be absurd depending on what inspire cards we get.

Lightwarden, despite being a neutral card, is summoned via a Priest Spell, Light of the Naaru, and works best with Priest's Hero Power. They absolutely should do this. Like a Shaman version of Bane of Doom.

Lightspawn, not Lightwarden.

Lightspawn is the 5/5 that has equal attack to its health

ViviOggi

How good is Kripp really ? Turns out ... he's pretty good ! /popularquote

Kripp is mostly entertainement (I think) but I need somebody to explain the thought process behind the moves. I watch his yt videos once in a while but don't think I'll learn much from his streams.
He's not explicitly instructional but he does explain most of the more advanced/unusual plays he makes, and he's definitely good at arena (though Ratsmah & Hafu are stronger overall). I'd say how much you can get out of his stream depends on your own arena experience, if you're really new it's probably not the place to go. And yeah don't bother watching him play constructed or with DansGame Helten DansGame and his other shitty friends if you want to learn anything.

Too smart of a design for Blizz, then again it's a legendary which makes it very incosistent if that's what's supposed to hold your inspire deck together.

georly

Yeah, even if it's fake, it's probably a card that should exist considering how weak Rogue's hero power is in regards to Inspire.

Should be on a rare or something with weaker stats. That's a nice card text, but not nice enough for a legendary. I'd love to see a new dagger rogue meta where all you do is buff your dagger w/ inspire/oil/poison and do a lot of removal w/ spells. Just some crazy dagger buffing combos and then spells clear the path for you to do 18+ damage on a single turn or something.

Schryver

Should be on a rare or something with weaker stats. That's a nice card text, but not nice enough for a legendary. I'd love to see a new dagger rogue meta where all you do is buff your dagger w/ inspire/oil/poison and do a lot of removal w/ spells. Just some crazy dagger buffing combos and then spells clear the path for you to do 18+ damage on a single turn or something.
Sounds familiar!

ViviOggi

That belongs in a museum

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ergh, daily is Pala/Warrior dominance after I re-rolled. I really don't like either class. I've tried Patron warrior and had some luck but I'm just not a fan of playing for a specific combo and hoping for the best. All the Paladin decks I've seen/tried have been "Hey here's a load of 1/2 attack minions, hope for the best!"

JesseZao

Ergh, daily is Pala/Warrior dominance after I re-rolled. I really don't like either class. I've tried Patron warrior and had some luck but I'm just not a fan of playing for a specific combo and hoping for the best. All the Paladin decks I've seen/tried have been "Hey here's a load of 1/2 attack minions, hope for the best!"

Just wait until tomorrow and knock it out in the new brawl.

ViviOggi

Patron, when played well, is arguably the most consistent combo deck HS has ever seen. You do very little hoping for the best overall - note that I firmly don't believe the deck is op, but rather that it can spend combo pieces very dynamically to stay even in games that look rather grim. Apart from the dream wombo OTK combos what Patron does is create board states that force the opponent to immediately have very specific answers, otherwise it will spiral out of control.

At the same time it's also the deck with the highest skill floor ever, so a few rounds of testing indeed won't get you far at all. You're always walking a thin line between taking over the game and blowing your hand for too little payoff as just a single mistake can make certain matchups unwinnable.

I partly disagree. The problem with Implosion is that it is on average already too good and even rolling a 2 rarely puts you that far behind. With an average of 3 damage amd 3 imps for 4 mana it's just too good and the 33% for 4 damage and 4 imps is just insane.

They need to have it role from 1-4 as it should have been from the beginning. Yes, that would increase the rng but it would also strongly discourage people to play it since rolling a 1 would really be terrible. As it is there is almost only upside and way too little downside and that's why everyone is playing it and thus we have so much rng.

I think the problem with it is that they should have balanced RNG the other way. Like if you do 4 damage then summon only 2 imps and if you do 2 then summon 4. It may not look as pretty in print to explain that, but it's much better for gameplay IMO.

That seems a bit OP, I think it would be broken as a rare, but as a legendary it could work since you won't be able to rely on it that much.

Mulgrok

Patron, when played well, is arguably the most consistent combo deck HS has ever seen. You do very little hoping for the best overall - note that I firmly don't believe the deck is op, but rather that it can spend combo pieces very dynamically to stay even in games that look rather grim. Apart from the dream wombo OTK combos what Patron does is create board states that force the opponent to immediately have very specific answers, otherwise it will spiral out of control.

At the same time it's also the deck with the highest skill floor ever, so a few rounds of testing indeed won't get you far at all. You're always walking a thin line between taking over the game and blowing your hand for too little payoff as just a single mistake can make certain matchups unwinnable.

From my experience as a bad player, it is really easy. Unlike a lot of other decks it can make turn-arounds in 1-2 turns through insane card draw or sheer damage output at little cost.

From my experience as a bad player, it is really easy. Unlike a lot of other decks it can make turn-arounds in 1-2 turns through insane card draw or sheer damage output at little cost.

I play it sometimes on casual and I disagree. I know I've lost winnable games because I played either a Patron or Berserker a turn too early or waited too long and could no longer deal with his board.

You only have 4 cards that win you the game, it's critical to know when you can spend one to delay your opponent (and which one) and when you need to just turtle and wait for turn 8. Same can be said for whirlwind effects.

You really need to know what your opponent could be holding and since I've only been playing for around 3 weeks and don't know all the cards yet I wasn't able to get much more than a 50% win rate with it.

Face Hunter on the other hand, once I finally got the hand of it, got me to rank 10 in no time with well over 70% win rate (demolishing all the Patron decks I've faced so far from what I assume are still subpar players).

V-Faction

Lightspawn, not Lightwarden.

Lightspawn is the 5/5 that has equal attack to its health

No, what I mean is Priest has a class card that indirectly summons a neutral minion as opposed to a class minion. So, there's no reason not to give other classes the same benefit. Like in your example, giving Magma Rager, Frost Elemental, Ragnaros, etc. to Shaman unofficially even though it isn't a Shaman class card, it could still be part of the Elemental tribe which Shaman may have control over. Then, instead of having to include those cards in your deck, just make them integrated into a spell for free, like Light of the Naaru or Bane of Doom.

Sorry for the poor explanation before.

Guys what the hell does Spiteful Smith say when you play her? I think it's supposed to say "They will bend to my command" but it sounds like "They are bend to my command"

No, what I mean is Priest has a class card that indirectly summons a neutral minion as opposed to a class minion. So, there's no reason not to give other classes the same benefit. Like in your example, giving Magma Rager, Frost Elemental, Ragnaros, etc. to Shaman unofficially even though it isn't a Shaman class card, it could still be part of the Elemental tribe which Shaman may have control over. Then, instead of having to include those cards in your deck, just make them integrated into a spell for free, like Light of the Naaru or Bane of Doom.

Sorry for the poor explanation before.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom