• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Hero powers doing random damage is such a Blizzard thing. I predict we will see it through a special effect somehow in 2015. "Your hero power becomes 'deal 0-4 damage to a random character.'"

Or they could just remove the class.

391.gif

There should be a legendary that when on the board that lets you use your hero power as many times as you want in a turn, but changes it to a random power after every use. So you can theoretically do 5 different hero powers on a 10 mana turn.

None of the hero powers (besides warlock) is really all that amazing late game, but it'd be fun for the RNG

rickyson1

well that was awful on my part

an opponent in arena had a giant out and I was playing around duplicate for some reason

I was facing a Paladin....

still won despite that so it's all good I guess but wow

Emarv

It may not be an amazing card, but it sure does give me an AMAZING feeling when that mine draws at the perfect time.

184px-Iron_Juggernaut(12295).png

rickyson1

anyone got any general tips for using coin effectively? starting to get a little concerned as my sample size since I started tracking my arena stats gets bigger that I might not be using it very effectively(37-18 going first and 20-24 going second now)

gutshot

anyone got any general tips for using coin effectively? starting to get a little concerned as my sample size since I started tracking my arena stats gets bigger that I might not be using it very effectively(37-18 going first and 20-24 going second now)

Saw a post on Reddit from someone who tracked win rates by coin usage in arena from popular streamers. They found that coining out a 4-drop gave the highest win rate, with coining out a 2-drop the second highest. Everything else was well below those two plays.

Opiate

Didn't they just get Shrinkmeister? It's a pretty good 2 drop.

They need a 4 drop the most. Their current Lightspawn sucks because of all the silences out there.

Shrinkmeister is not a 2 drop. Or rather, it isn't a 2 drop on curve. It is extremely rare to actually drop a shrinkmeister on turn 2, as its whole purpose is to manipulate enemy health for cabal shadowpriest / shadoword pain purposes.

They have things to drop on 4 (Auchenai + Circle of healing, piloted shredder), but really nothing that works on turn 2 for them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Shrinkmeister is not a 2 drop. Or rather, it isn't a 2 drop on curve. It is extremely rare to actually drop a shrinkmeister on turn 2, as its whole purpose is to manipulate enemy health for cabal shadowpriest / shadoword pain purposes.

They have things to drop on 4 (Auchenai + Circle of healing, piloted shredder), but really nothing that works on turn 2 for them.

Not that this makes it any better a play on curve, but people underestimate Shrinkmeister's ability to set yourself up for very favorable trades. If you have a 3/2 on board and your opponent has a 3/3 or a 2/3 or something, you can use Shrinkmeister to set yourself up for a free kill. It's especially powerful if you can use it to reduce 2 damage from two of your own minions instead of one. That makes Shrinkmeister exceptionally good in arena, even if you don't have something like Cabal or Pain.

Opiate

Not that this makes it any better a play on curve, but people underestimate Shrinkmeister's ability to set yourself up for very favorable trades. If you have a 3/2 on board and your opponent has a 3/3 or a 2/3 or something, you can use Shrinkmeister to set yourself up for a free kill. It's especially powerful if you can use it to reduce 2 damage from two of your own minions instead of one. That makes Shrinkmeister exceptionally good in arena, even if you don't have something like Cabal or Pain.

Right, it's good in arena. Much less effective in constructed on 2. A 3/2 turn 2 with nothing else gained isnt really what I'd call a real turn 2 any more than Id call wild pyromancer a turn 2 drop (although at least there you can potentially coin).

The most important thing is to plan ahead.

Say you have a 2 drop on turn 1. Do you coin it out? Well, what are you going to do on turn 2? If you have another 2 drop it is a good play to coin one out. Otherwise you just wasted it or you are relying on top decking a play.

In practice this typically means a 4 drop on turn 3, since you probably don't have a good 3 drop and after that turn the coin isn't as valuable.

Milennia

Playing midrange hunter (snake trap) and am stuck around rank 13 for some shitty reason all I play are Paladins and priests over and over and over again

I'm finding it extremely difficult to deal with muster quartermaster etc. as midrange.. The shielded minibot openers every single time also just destroy me, might just be a bad night, I just started climbing today even though the season ends in 3 days

I also get zoo players but I'm about 90% on them so that's fine

I have played some games with face hunter as well but with only getting matched against Paladins and priests that was short lived

Playing midrange hunter (snake trap) and am stuck around rank 13 for some shitty reason all I play are Paladins and priests over and over and over again

I'm finding it extremely difficult to deal with muster quartermaster etc. as midrange.. The shielded minibot openers every single time also just destroy me, might just be a bad night, I just started climbing today even though the season ends in 3 days

I have played some games with face hunter as well but with only getting matched against Paladins and priests that was short lived

Seeing the same thing as you. I just went tempo Mage to counter after I finished my hunter challenge

Running Sylvanas and feign death might help? It can help to turn a match around or get more value out of highmanes.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Webspinner, haunted creeper, and knife juggler juggles should be able to take care of minibot's shields at a better value than most deck's openers. After that it's just like most other 2 health early minions, with ideally a mad scientist taking it out.

For the 8 mana combo, I guess you'd ideally have enough board presence from Highmane and Boom that he can't afford the slow play of that combo for fear of you ignoring it and just killing him over the next one or two turns. Loatheb can also be timed to counter that 8 mana combo instead of just using him as a 5 drop, since muster is a spell.

Otherwise I don't think there's really anything special about playing against it. Just fear every Recruit as a possible future 3/3, fear the turn when he gets 8 mana, and otherwise play normal.

EDIT: If you're good against zoo but bad against palidan, it could be a sign of you overtrading. With Zoo you can win by making him run out of cards to play, but with Paladin, you really have to focus on attacking his health resource, since you'll never win the card resource battle.

Milennia

Webspinner, haunted creeper, and knife juggler juggles should be able to take care of minibot's shields at a better value than most deck's openers. After that it's just like most other 2 health early minions, with ideally a mad scientist taking it out.

For the 8 mana combo, I guess you'd ideally have enough board presence from Highmane and Boom that he can't afford the slow play of that combo for fear of you ignoring it and just killing him over the next one or two turns. Loatheb can also be timed to counter that 8 mana combo instead of just using him as a 5 drop, since muster is a spell.

Otherwise I don't think there's really anything special about playing against it. Just fear every Recruit as a possible future 3/3, fear the turn when he gets 8 mana, and otherwise play normal.

EDIT: If you're good against zoo but bad against palidan, it could be a sign of you overtrading. With Zoo you can win by making him run out of cards to play, but with Paladin, you really have to focus on attacking his health resource, since you'll never win the card resource battle.
I agree that I have been overtrading in the matchup.
My draws have been less than ideal in terms of midrange as well, my highmanes are usually in the opener sans coin and have been unlucky on the curve front in general

Great advice thank you :D

Dragner

Playing Freeze Mage, first Match Paladin with Kezan, 2nd Match Paladin with Kezan, 3rd Match FACE HUNTER WITH KEZAN. WTF!!!!

Such awful Handlock play from Amaz
cBj1LTf.png

Amaz threw that game so badly. It was almost impossible to lose with his hand...then shadowflame happened...

Milennia

broke the curse and went up a rank on a streak with face hunter, doing SLIGHTLY better against the paladins, but i have to draw well with the deck... i dont have leeroy so i have that handicap but it doesnt seem too needed, would love to have one though

I noticed something strange - if your oponnent has a weapon, and you have Misdirection which makes one of the opponent's minions attack him, that minion suffers damage from the weapon.

ViviOggi

I noticed something strange - if your oponnent has a weapon, and you have Misdirection which makes one of the opponent's minions attack him, that minion suffers damage from the weapon.

It's a unique interaction they probably added to make Misdirection more useful but didn't bother mentioning in the card's text.

The burden of knowledge is real

Rapstah

The 90s were the worst. I don't even think most of the HS streamers at the ViaGame thing are old enough to know how bad it was.

Milennia

i think im going to be making a rogue next, i have dr boom and many of the decks dont even run edwin anymore, so all i would need to make it is 2 preps and a thalnos

2400 dust isnt too bad

reynad seems to think rogue will be pretty good after blackrock

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's a unique interaction they probably added to make Misdirection more useful but didn't bother mentioning in the card's text.

The burden of knowledge is real

Basically, your weapon is out on your turn, but not on your enemy's turn. There's the animation that happens at the end of each turn that shows that.

Rapstah

I refuse to believe there was a time when the music video for Sandstorm was cool.

Edit: The dog in the Sandstorm music video uses the same sound clips as Unleash The Hounds.

Zemm

"you guys watching won't understand how that sap has cost him the game"
*continues to win game*

Who was that fucking idiot commentator? Was Savjz or Firebat, think the latter.

"you guys watching won't understand how that sap has cost him the game"
*continues to win game*

Who was that fucking idiot commentator? Was Savjz or Firebat, think the latter.

The first sap was pretty bad. He just got lucky that his opponent couldn't take advantage of his lack of saps.

I don't think they said it will cost him the game, but that it could cost him the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom