• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

At least the production guy at Viagame is having a lot of fun. Constantly.

I wonder how much of Twitch chat has seen Titanic.

ViviOggi

I MISSED YAMES?
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The first sap was pretty bad. He just got lucky that his opponent couldn't take advantage of his lack of saps.

I don't think they said it will cost him the game, but that it could cost him the game.
I think it's an interesting turn worth analyzing:

dmlAqM5.png

I think the sap was correct, and he would have lost if he didn't play it. Blecher was going to kill a SI for free basically, and in the very likely chance he played a shade or swipe, that sap combo they were hoping for wouldn't work. It's also not exactly great to sap a keeper of the groove, which is also a very likely play there. You'd basically be left with a two damage eviscerate or sacrificing another 3 health minion to finish it off, which is far from ideal since eviscerates are far more valuable than saps are.

The caster's plan to sap the next played minion only works if it's a Druid of the Claw or second Sludge, but how much can you bet on that happening? And what "big minions" are you really afraid of being punished by using up your saps, other than a Druid of the Claw which happens to be basically equally as big as a Sludge Belcher?

Turn 3-6 are the turns where it's key to develop the board as much as possible for the game winning burst 7-9, when you don't even care about minions unless they're taunts. I never see saps get played pass turn 7 except to remove a taunt to achieve maximum burst, which is why it sounds so strange for them to really care about saving sap for a bigger minion.

Zemm

There's nothing better than some big mouth annoying prat BM'ing then losing the match.

R O G E R B O Y S

Good post potatoman!

It wasn't all about saving sap, it was about using sap to build a stronger board or accomplish something else.

And yeah, I would say more often than not ramp druid has a 4 or 5 drop, they run a lot of them. If the belcher killed the si7 agent, it would have been finished off my the second si7 agent's combo. He would have not only had a second sap, he would have had eviscerate as well and a shredder on board a turn earlier.

He would not have lost if he chose a different line of play. He would likely have been far ahead. He even handed his opponent a turn 4 play which he didn't have. It was a misplay that ended up not mattering imo, due to the opponent's inability to stall the game at all which was really unusual for a druid.

I think the sap was correct, and he would have lost if he didn't play it. Blecher was going to kill a SI for free basically, and in the very likely chance he played a shade or swipe, that sap combo they were hoping for wouldn't work. It's also not exactly great to sap a keeper of the groove, which is also a very likely play there. You'd basically be left with a two damage eviscerate or sacrificing another 3 health minion to finish it off, which is far from ideal since eviscerates are far more valuable than saps are.

The caster's plan to sap the next played minion only works if it's a Druid of the Claw or second Sludge, but how much can you bet on that happening? And what "big minions" are you really afraid of being punished by using up your saps, other than a Druid of the Claw which happens to be basically equally as big as a Sludge Belcher?

Turn 3-6 are the turns where it's key to develop the board as much as possible for the game winning burst 7-9, when you don't even care about minions unless they're taunts. I never see saps get played pass turn 7 except to remove a taunt to achieve maximum burst, which is why it sounds so strange for them to really care about saving sap for a bigger minion.

Dahbomb

That Priest vs. Warrior-game was really interesting.
Man the patience on the Cabal Ysera steal was godly. I don't know if he knew the other guy had a Ysera in the deck but that was still hella well played.

He did get really lucky with those Thoughtsteals though.

ViviOggi

ᕙ
╱ TASTE MY FACE ᕙ
╱

If priest was heavily played, with shrinkmeiser, I would agree. But you can't build your deck to beat everyone, especially fringe decks like priest/shrinkmeister combo decks.

Except that Priest is one of the few matchups where you'll ever get Ysera out consistently, and the risk just isn't worth it. BRM will probably change that.

Zemm

face hunter is just plain retarded. I don't even know how you can get any satisfaction from winning with it, it's thoughtless spam face herp derp.

ᕙ
╱ TASTE MY FACE ᕙ
╱

Except that Priest is one of the few matchups where you'll ever get Ysera out consistently, and the risk just isn't worth it. BRM will probably change that.

Eh, I disagree with that. I still need ysera though so maybe I'm wrong. But I get a lot of use out of 8 drops, even on turn 9+.

I faced 7% priest this month. I think this month I have seen the most priests and still just a tiny amount. Last month was 4% and over all my stats recorded in GVG about 4%. At least 100 matches per month. These aren't all encompassing stats, but just my ranked play over the past 3 months.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't all about saving sap, it was about using sap to build a stronger board or accomplish something else.

And yeah, I would say more often than not ramp druid has a 4 or 5 drop, they run a lot of them. If the belcher killed the si7 agent, it would have been finished off my the second si7 agent's combo. He would have not only had a second sap, he would have had eviscerate as well and a shredder on board a turn earlier.

But to combo you need a card to play first, and it's extremely possible for there not to be a good card to play for that. We can see in this game that it would not have worked out, with sapping keeper of the groove and letting it battlecry twice being the best scenario for that plan.

Sap gives you that board development 100% of the time with extra face damage to boot. The other plan gives you a little better board development by swapping a si for a shredder, but only if the opponent does a certain thing. Why take that risk?

Druid combo/ramp deck: What do you think about a Deathlord in the place of a Shade of Naxx in the current meta? I find the shade too slow half the time. Can't keep him on the board stealthed to develop long enough when there's so much aggro. Just looking for something to slow face hunters down some. On turn 3 or 4 I'm already down to 17 HP and then he just has to peck away with his hero power.

But to combo you need a card to play first, and it's extremely possible for there not to be a good card to play for that. We can see in this game that it would not have worked out, with sapping keeper of the groove and letting it battlecry twice being the best scenario for that plan.

Sap gives you that board development 100% of the time with extra face damage to boot. The other plan gives you a little better board development by swapping a si for a shredder, but only if the opponent does a certain thing. Why take that risk?

I think you're just using the knowledge of both hands to determine the best move. Sapping actually was riskier that just happened to play at well because the druid, despite running many of them, didn't have a strong follow up to having exhausted both saps.

ViviOggi

Druid combo/ramp deck: What do you think about a Deathlord in the place of a Shade of Naxx in the current meta? I find the shade too slow half the time. Can't keep him on the board stealthed to develop long enough when there's so much aggro. Just looking for something to slow face hunters down some. On turn 3 or 4 I'm already down to 17 HP and then he just has to peck away with his hero power.
Seems like a bad idea, Druid has trouble reclaiming lost boards so it's a borderline unplayable card against midrange/control. Most Face Hunters run double Owl too. I'd rather tech in Kezan and/or Taz'Dingo or just go full Taunt Druid.

KePoW

Banned

As someone who seems like the only Face Hunter player/lover in this thread, I can tell you Priests and some control Warriors do pretty well against me

Have you tried those two?

Damn, dude's mad bomber hit 5/5 times on my board clearing 2 minions. This was arena. Somehow I still won though lol. Drawing all 3 of my fire elementals didn't hurt even though the 3rd was unnecessary :D

gutshot

Wouldn't be surprised to see face hunter nerfed somehow. Making Eaglehorn Bow cost 4 mana maybe? But then you are nerfing midrange hunter as well.

It definitely seems like the kind of deck Blizzard takes the nerf bat to though as it is decidedly uninteractive. Just face, face, face and no fighting for board.

Dragner

To Face Hunter winning 3 out of 4 games for the win, all I can say is the Conquest format exists for a reason.

Yeah Hoej got almost all his win with Face decks, I dont have all the actual numbers but he won a lot with Mech Mage and Face hunter...heck, he even played Mech Shaman.

Conquest is for the best.

ViviOggi

Yeah I was actually surprised Viagame chose the standard format after pretty much all other tournaments had switched to conquest overnight. Is there even a single downside?

tootsi666

Yeah I was actually surprised Viagame chose the standard format after pretty much all other tournaments had switched to conquest overnight. Is there even a single downside?
Make all your decks similar, opponent brings one deck that can't handle that one specific deck style, proceed to lose against your opponent's other decks, win against the last one.

I think my most hated card mechanic is the arcane missile's card text. Deal 1 damage to random enemy characters X amount of times... fucking despise that.

It isn't that I despise arcane missiles specifically, but also knife juggler etc..

Heropon

I hate how I only get disconnected when I'm going to win and always when the rival has done a good looking but at the same time useless combo. They're going to think I ragequitted again. I hate this shitty internet connection.

CoolOff

Make all your decks similar, opponent brings one deck that can't handle that one specific deck style, proceed to lose against your opponent's other decks, win against the last one.

Can't really do that when you have to bring 9 different classes.

Or could you... Weapon warrior, Cancer Paladin, Backspace Rogue, Zoo, Face Hunter, Mech Mage, Token Druid (?), Mech Shaman, Shadowbomber Priest (Kappa).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom