• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

So if Alexstrasza can set Ragnaros to 15 health, how do Molten Giants work? Not that you'd ever run them, but would they get more expensive than 20 since your supposed maximum health is 8?

JoeMartin

Won't it reset your health to 8 like Jaraxxus sets your health to 15 regardless of what you were at when you play him? 8 is too low, you can easily be burst down from 8. The only way I could see it working is with Mage and Ice Block/Ice Barrier or with Warrior where you can add armor through spells/minions.

I mean I believe you guys, it just seems ridiculous to me. Playing the card ever would almost certainly be a misplay if you opponent is holding a BGH. I can't really imagine a time when hardcapping your life total at 8 is a good idea. That would enable so many interesting ways for you to die for no really good reason.

gutshot

Thaurissan seems insane. 5/5 for 6 isn't even bad stats for that effect.

He definitely seems like the best legendary out of this expansion. You are guaranteed to get value from him which is what you want out of a legendary. And if he stays alive a turn or two, it's pretty much GG.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Majodomo feels like a really bad card to run, Bursting a hero down from 8 is not hard to do. The big issue is the potential to get this from Sneeds.

Thaurissan looks amazing, and I think he will be in the first wing to boot.

I mean I believe you guys, it just seems ridiculous to me. Playing the card ever would almost certainly be a misplay if you opponent is holding a BGH. I can't really imagine a time when hardcapping your life total at 8 is a good idea. That would enable so many interesting ways for you to die for no really good reason.

I don't think you can BGH the hero. He wouldn't have an attack value since the blast is mapped to your hero power. Even if he did have an 8 damage weapon equipped, it's covered during the opponent's turn, so your attack is still 0.

Rapstah

I can't think of any deck where Thaurissan isn't at least slightly useful, but Combo Druid sticks out. Smoothes out the margins.

Szadek

Chromaggus:
Looks pretty good,but it's possible that he is a bit too slow.

Emperor Thaurissan:
This crad is amazing,we will most likely see it in all Control and most midrange decks.
The only problem is that he doesn't do that much in late game.

Majordomo Executus:
I don't know about you,play I rather play rag.
Suddenly dropping to 8 health can easily kill you.The new hero power is not worth the risk.
Fun cards,though.

Demonwrath:
Kind of meh.It could push demon decks,but warlock already have enough aoe.

Quick shot:
Great in face hunter,ok in other hunter decks.

Revenge:
Worthless.

Gang up.
The cards doesn't really do anything.I don't think people will play it.

Flamegaurd Destroyer.
Better stats than water elemantal,yeti and most likely hungry dragon all for 1 overlord.
That's pretty good.Although,he is not as sticky has shredder,so it's possible that this card is not good enough.

Twilight Welp:
Looks good,but Chow is already better than in any other play.
Maybe dragon priest will in run this card over chow ,but I'm not convinced.

Resurrect:
Since almost all cards you play cost more than 1 this cards is probably really good.
Even getting chow or cleric ain't bad.

Druid of the Flame:
In almost all cases this cards will be a 2/5,but we already have 3/4's or under the right conditions 4/4's or 3/5's for 3.
But at least beast druids can play it...

Volcanic Lumberer:
Bad.Maybe if it was a 6/8 for 8,but even than it's not probably not good enough.
At least it's ok in arena.

Dragon Consort:
Amazing.Auto include in any dragon paladin deck.

Solemn Vigil:
Not sure about this one.Time has to show how good these cards really are.

Gotchaye

I don't think you can BGH the hero. He wouldn't have an attack value since the blast is mapped to your hero power. Even if he did have an 8 damage weapon equipped, it's covered during the opponent's turn, so your attack is still 0.

No, the idea is that you BGH the thing whose deathrattle is "set owner's HP to 8". Then you have 7 mana and your full board to do 8 damage.

bjaelke

BGH on Majordomo. Bring your opponent down to 8 hp.

JoeMartin

I meant that you can bgh majordomo then deal 8 face damage pretty easily.

squidyj

Gang Up in a Mill deck IMOTBH, copy a coldlight oracle to put more cards in your deck than your opponent on mill and to help make it go faster.

alternatively copy an opponents important card.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Imagine Thaurissan when a Handlock has jaraxxus in hand. 8 mana jaraxxus then you can instantly summon an infernal.

I can't get over how bad Volcanic Lumberer is. Worse than Ironbark Protector, which is a basic card that no one ever uses. Druid got hosed. Probably worse than Earth Elemental too.

But I kinda like Blizzard's direction of countering BGH by having decks have way too much shit to actually use BGH on.

I can't think of any deck where Thaurissan isn't at least slightly useful, but Combo Druid sticks out. Smoothes out the margins.

Yeah, I was thinking that he'd be pretty good in Ramp Druid. If you can Innervate him out relatively early and keep him alive for a turn or two, you could start throwing out really expensive minions for cheap. Even just one turn is like playing a Wild Growth but only applied to cards in hand. Keeping it alive for two turns is like applying an Innervate to all of the cards in your hand.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The benefit of Twilight Whelp vs. Zombie Chow is that it's also a dragon, so if you get it later on you can hold it to keep playing your dragon effects.

I still feel like the Majordomo combo is to hit your foe for 9, then kill your own Majordomo with BGH and blast them for another 8. Five mana for 17 damage(if it hits face) with five mana left over.

Of course, that requires Majordomo to live a turn and RNG to play in your favor but it's possible.

Edit:
Thanks for the clarification. I suppose it'd be too annoying if your fallback card Jarraxus or some such could get instant killed.

Szadek

I can't get over how bad Volcanic Lumberer is. Worse than Ironbark Protector, which is a basic card that no one ever uses. Druid got hosed. Probably worse than Earth Elemental too.
Emperor Thaurissan is buff enough for druids for 1 expnasion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still feel like the Majordomo combo is to hit your foe for 9, then kill your own Majordomo with BGH and blast them for another 8. Five mana for 17 damage(if it hits face) with five mana left over.

Of course, that requires Majordomo to live a turn and RNG to play in your favor but it's possible.

Majordomo just strikes me as a Timmy card that's a lot of fun for people who want to win in a ridiculous way, but not something really plausible to use in a competitive sense.

Majordomo just strikes me as a Timmy card that's a lot of fun for people who want to win in a ridiculous way, but not something really plausible to use.
Oh yeah, of course. It's not a tournament card by any means. I was just saying what, in my mind, was the best possible use for him.

Edit:
Though this was funny so throwing it out there;
KdEyACk.jpg

But I kinda like Blizzard's direction of countering BGH by having decks have way too much shit to actually use BGH on.

Yeah, Druid got it rough for BRM. Druid of the Flame seems okay but I don't know why you'd ever make it a 5/2 over a 2/5 unless you're praying it lives a turn to trade with something that has 5 health.

Lumberer is just crap. If it had 6 attack then maybe it would be worth playing but as a 7/8, I don't see the point. I guess it could combo really well with Poison Seeds + Starfall to essentially play it for free if the board is big enough.

Rapstah

Lumberer is just crap. If it had 6 attack then maybe it would be worth playing but as a 7/8, I don't see the point. I guess it could combo really well with Poison Seeds + Starfall to essentially play it for free if the board is big enough.

Poison Seeds technically kills the stuff it replaces, so this has to be the intended usage.

JoeMartin

But that's why I think it falls into the win-more category. If you're hitting your opponent in the face with a 9/7 minion against an empty board then you're already super far ahead, even more so if you're comfortable hardcapping your life at 8. Either you win on the turn that domo dies or you're probably dead.

But like Super Nothing said, you might be able to thread the needle with mage or warrior. Even 2 or 3 turns of that hero power would be devastating, especially against heavy minions.

But really, who knows. Seriously this video is like a laugh every 5 seconds.

Dahbomb

Quick Shot is actually pretty good in Mid Range Hunter too.

Sometimes you have a Mech Warper on the board and you have no way to deal it on turn 2 (when they coin it out). Well now you do.

Remember how Darkbomb became auto include in every Warlock deck? This is like Darkbomb but better. It fills a very blatant hole in the Hunter's arsenal.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So before Dragon Consort was a thing, I thought Dragon Druid would be the popular deck. But then Paladins got Dragon Innervate. Kinda clinched it. I think Paladin will be the popular Dragon deck, Priest second.

Also the stream proved that Hungry Dragon really is not that. Might just run Twilight Drake in that slot instead.

Dragner

Im calling it now, in 2 months emperor will receive the nat paggle nerf. Its insane, obscenly overpowered in any non rush deck, you were afraid of antobidas + stealth?. Prepare to emperor + stealth. Freeze mage can get a 31 point damage burst with emperor without alexstrasza...

So before Dragon Consort was a thing, I thought Dragon Druid would be the popular deck. But then Paladins got Dragon Innervate. Kinda clinched it. I think Paladin will be the popular Druid deck, Priest second.

Also the stream proved that Hungry Dragon really is not that. Might just run Twilight Drake in that slot instead.

What happened with Hungry Dragon? I can't watch the stream right now.

JoeMartin

Calling it right now, gang up is going to break the game

Gang up will likely be absurdly strong, especially given how much draw rogue has. There are so many minions to copy where having 3 would be ridiculous (loatheb is the first that comes to mind, but obviously anything with a strong battlecry works), especially if its played later in the game when it'll be relatively consistent to draw the copies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So before Dragon Consort was a thing, I thought Dragon Druid would be the popular deck. But then Paladins got Dragon Innervate. Kinda clinched it. I think Paladin will be the popular Druid deck, Priest second.
Yeah my impression was a lot of the cards seemed like things that combo'ed with Priest and Paladin well during the early unveils, though I thought Druid might be one too given they were hiding their cards.

That said they seem to want to give Druids Beasts as as tribe to putting Dragons onto Priests and Paladins makes sense as they lack one (sans Mechs, but everyone has Mechs).

That puts us to:

Warlock: Demons
Rogues: Pirates
Warriors: Hypothetically Pirates, but I suspect they'll get a new one
Paladins: Dragons
Priests: Dragons
Hunter: Beasts
Druid: Beasts
Mage: Mechs (as best choice)
Shaman: Murlocs

Dahbomb

The more I look at these new cards the more I am convinced on Kibler's BGH article.

The perfect example of this is that new Druid taunt...

If that was 6/8 Taunt then it would actually be pretty good. If you could get it out at turn 5 potentially then that would actually be pretty insane.

But having that ONE EXTRA ATTACK turns this card from usable to shit instantly. That BGH presence is really insane.

Same for Chromaggus. People are sort of up on this card right now because it's a 6/8, if it was a 7/8 it would get shit on harder than Nefarian.

What happened with Hungry Dragon? I can't watch the stream right now.
It got some really bad rolls.

One turn it spit out a Shield Bearer which allowed one of the opponent's minions to live.

The other turn it spit out a Flame Imp which traded evenly with the Defender of Argus in play.

It wasn't a total disaster but it really short changed the value you got from Hungry Dragon. I still think it's a good card though.

JoeMartin

Thaurissan is certain to be the new Loatheb. There is literally no class for which or situation where it is not useful.

fakedit: Playing it on an empty hand, I spose is really the only non-value timing you could possibly get out if it.

Majordomo looks potentially good to combo with ice block. Seems weird it would be a deathrattle effect though. Majordomo looks underwhelming. I guess it sets your hero power to 8 damage random fireball. 8 hp max. It is better to choose when your fireball goes off. But the exchange is quite high since you now die to a ragnaros fireball yourself.

Solemn vigil looks like an alright midrange-ish and maybe aggro card draw. I'm not sure if it is better than lay on hands for control though. Lay on hands can be difficult to use in some match ups, so maybe a 1 of vigil will be included. As far as card cost reduction mechanics go, it isn't as good as playing a 6/4 for cheap I think.

Gang up is pretty interesting. Sorta like duplicate except you choose what gets copied although it goes to your deck instead of your hand. That is actually pretty smart though since if I am running double sprint, or sprint + auctioneer, I'm going to run out of cards in a long match up. This still happens with some frequency so it might be included in oil rogue, although it looks more like a control card to me. It might also be used (read: will be) heavily in mill rogue.

Quick shot... a total face huntard card.

Dragon consort seems pretty solid. Seems like paladin and priest got the best dragon synergy cards.

And twilight whelp... wow, they have a hard on for getting priests back into the game again. It looks deceiving but it is potentially the strongest minion in the set. A 2/3 1 mana dragon is good against both control and aggro after all. I guess the dragon requirement is the hardest to fill the earlier in the game due to having drawn less cards, so I'll withhold judgement.

Chromaggus looks pretty damn sweet.

Emperor thaurassian looks alright. Not sure which kind of deck you'd put him in though. I guess control can get a lot of mileage of having their hand easier to play.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Chromaggus is too slow. I don't see him being run. Foe Reaper tier. I think Nefarian is straight up better.

But that's why I think it falls into the win-more category. If you're hitting your opponent in the face with a 9/7 minion against an empty board then you're already super far ahead, even more so if you're comfortable hardcapping your life at 8. Either you win on the turn that domo dies or you're probably dead.

But like Super Nothing said, you might be able to thread the needle with mage or warrior. Even 2 or 3 turns of that hero power would be devastating, especially against heavy minions.

But really, who knows. Seriously this video is like a laugh every 5 seconds.

Yeah, that's true as well. With both the stats and the effect, it's a card that's going to get dealt with whenever it hits the board. Would be cool if it wasn't such a big body or whatnot so it'd be easier to combo with, but it's too hard to say. It's defiantly more a showy/fun card over anything else.

And yeah, that video is great, thanks for linking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom