• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

I was just thinking that Resurrect is pretty good in a new form of Deathrattle priest, but Hungry Dragon kinda fucks it over depending if that card is played a lot.

Dahbomb

Looked good on stream since it made something like 10 Patrons with charge thanks to Commander. However, it was a very good situation for that warrior. I highly doubt it's something that will happen consistently, but I could be wrong.
It was also used against a pretty crappy deck.

I do however liked that combo of Warsong Commander plus Unstable Ghoul to set up the Grim Patrons.

JoeMartin

My only reservation with Grim Patron is that by the time it'll be possible to wombo combo 4 of them onto the board your opponent will certainly have had the time to draw into aoe removal, and if it becomes a standard of sorts people will definitely squat on their aoe until the combo drops.

I dunno, could be punishing against common cards seen now if not handled properly; fok, blizzard, death's bite, whirlwind, non-sp lightning storm, swipes come to mind. Things like blastmage would basically be unplayable with a grim patron on the board.

zoukka

Quick Shot best card in the set.

I was just thinking that Resurrect is pretty good in a new form of Deathrattle priest, but Hungry Dragon kinda fucks it over depending if that card is played a lot.

It's most likely not. The free 1v1 is too much value for the opponents since he can attack with it on the following turn and most likely somehow buff it negating the dragons good stats for cost.

squidyj

I'm looking forward to trying out patron shenanigans and other warrior tricks.

Do we have any idea what cards we'll see first?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Quick Shot best card in the set.

It's most likely not. The free 1v1 is too much value for the opponents since he can attack with it on the following turn and most likely somehow buff it negating the dragons good stats for cost.

Given Priest and Paladin seem to be the go-to classes as well, Dragonkin Sorcerer fits pretty well in the four spot, and if you need another four you can just put in Shredder.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Emperor Tharlsasan is going to be super good in Control decks I feel. He is a 1 mana discount on every card in you hand no matter what and has a decent body in the worst case, and in the best case you can end up with some really cheep stuff. Handlock and Control Warrior should love him. I wonder if he can make cards cost "negitive" mana so you could discount spells enough to negate loatheb's effect.

I still wish we would have gotten a human version of Nefarian like the portrait they showed in the brm reveal trailer. So seems like 3 of the blank cards they showed in the trailer are not in the expansion thats a bummer.

squidyj

My only reservation with Grim Patron is that by the time it'll be possible to wombo combo 4 of them onto the board your opponent will certainly have had the time to draw into aoe removal, and if it becomes a standard of sorts people will definitely squat on their aoe until the combo drops.

I dunno, could be punishing against common cards seen now if not handled properly; fok, blizzard, death's bite, whirlwind, non-sp lightning storm, swipes come to mind. Things like blastmage would basically be unplayable with a grim patron on the board.

who has 3 damage aoe? mage, rogue, warlock? how many mage decks run flamestrike?
priest needs to auchenai circle or velens + nova. paladin warrior and druid cant really do shit

midrangecontroldrag.png

First cut.

This is definitely aimed at taking advantage of the card cost reduction mechanics from minions dying and from dragon consort.

I've already decided to exchange sylvanas for quartermaster, or perhaps I'll use another card in place of sylvanas.

I am notably missing a silence and BGH, but I am not sure those are completely necessary.

Why Chromaggus? Sometimes you really do just need a solid body that helps fuel you in the long term. That is what kelthuzad does yet it requires a specific board state to really get value before being removed. With dragon consort, I can play that on turn 5, and then chromaggus on turn 6.

Could tirion be cut? Maybe run ysera instead? Lots of interesting possibilities I feel with this upcoming release. Also I am curious as to when I can actually complete this deck. I'd imagine chromaggus is in the latter wings.

That's probably the portrait for the hero version of him you face in the adventure. That also explains Magmaw. The stats are fake. :(

Ah yeah never thought of that. Still sucks though because nefarion dragonform is a sucky card. Seems like there are no epics in this expansion.

Joco

Holy shit at Chromaggus. 8 mana 6/8 that gives you an extra copy of every card you draw. And that 6 attack allows it to avoid BGH which is key. Any deck that isn't aggro would probably want to run this, no?

Nefarian seems like a joke compared to Chromaggus.

ViviOggi

No, Rend says "If you're holding a Dragon, destroy a Legendary minion" while Sacrificial Pact says "Destroy a Demon". Heroes are not minions. You can't freeze a hero with the freezing Spare Part, for instance.
Right, I didn't check at Ren's text again. No questions there then.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still wish we would have gotten a human version of Nefarian like the portrait they showed in the brm reveal trailer. So seems like 3 of the blank cards they showed in the trailer are not in the expansion thats a bummer.

They are likely adventure only cards, so they will be used against us at least!

Holy shit at Chromaggus. 8 mana 6/8 that gives you an extra copy of every card you draw. And that 6 attack allows it to avoid BGH which is key. Any deck that isn't aggro would probably want to run this, no?

I wonder if it would duplicate land mine.

Rapstah

Weird combos which can be even better with Chromaggus:
  • Call Pet + Chromaggus
  • Far Sight + Chromaggus
  • Jeeves + Chromaggus
  • Ysera + Chromaggus ("draw a Dream Card")
Drkirby said:
I wonder if it would duplicate land mine.
Yes, but I don't think the second land mine would trigger since you wouldn't have drawn it.

Hang on, no, all copies of land mines trigger when the original mine blows up. It would deal 20 damage, yeah.

Cut Rend Blackhand

I think rend is gonna be great in this deck. There are so many targets that this thing is great against, that paladin has a hard time dealing with. I think this guy is even more valuable than BGH because straight up high attack minions get their wings clipped by aldor peace keeper.

• Call Pet + Chromaggus
  • Far Sight + Chromaggus
  • Jeeves + Chromaggus

Chromaggus be a dragon, not a beast. He is like a hybrid of several dragon colors into one.

As for ysera + chrom, is it confirmed that chrom affects cards that place cards in your hand not from your draw pile?

edit:
I actually just noticed I got an answer to this and it looks like it only affects when you draw from your card pile and not "put" like ysera or nefarian. https://twitter.com/CM_Zeriyah/status/582638128441126912

JoeMartin

• Call Pet + Chromaggus
  • Far Sight + Chromaggus
  • Jeeves + Chromaggus

Yes, but I don't think the second land mine would trigger since you wouldn't have drawn it.

Hang on, no, all copies of land mines trigger when the original mine blows up. It would deal 20 damage, yeah.

I know Ysera says draw a dream card, but is that actually card draw in game logic or card addition?

Rapstah

Chromaggus be a dragon, not a beast. He is like a hybrid of several dragon colors into one.

As for ysera + chrom, is it confirmed that chrom affects cards that place cards in your hand not from your draw pile?

I know, I was talking about him copying the potentially cheaper card.

Ysera says "draw", unlike Neptulon, which "adds" cards to your hand. I'm going 100% by their wording.

Edit: Spare Parts are also "added" into your hand.

Edit II: Mind Vision and Thoughtsteal "put" cards in your hand.

Edit III: The final weird edge case is Webspinner, which "adds" a random beast to your hand. Ysera is the only weird one.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Its super slow. Even if it survives one turn you only get 1 extra card, unless you combo with other card draw. So if you don't have card draw immediately, then Nefarian is better. Even Ysera is faster than Chromaggus.

I know, I was talking about him copying the potentially cheaper card.

Ysera says "draw", unlike Neptulon, which "adds" cards to your hand. I'm going 100% by their wording.

Edit: Spare Parts are also "added" into your hand.

Edit II: Mind Vision and Thoughtsteal "put" cards in your hand.

Edit III: The final weird edge case is Webspinner, which "adds" a random beast to your hand. Ysera is the only weird one.

I think ysera's card text might end up just meaning "put" or "add", instead of actually draw. But we'll see, I asked a follow up question.

I see what you're saying about chrommagus now. I guess that is potentially pretty good.

Chrommagus + power word shield is gonna be pretty good I guess.

Also the paladin draw card + a cost reduced chrommagus due to that other dragon cost reduction could be dope.

ZealousD

Onyxia might work in Dragon Paladin. Solemn Vigil, Equality, and Volcanic Drake synergy.

Joco

Calling it right now, gang up is going to break the game

I see this being used on Dr. Boom. It'd be near impossible to win if your opponent could drop him, use Gang Up, and then potentially drop him the next three turns.

I agree with you.

ZealousD

I see this being used on Dr. Boom. It'd be near impossible to win if your opponent could drop him, use Gang Up, and then potentially drop him the next three turns.

I agree with you.

Bull. Gang Up is like the slowest card in the game. You might not even draw those Booms you copied.

Gang Up is cool because you could use it on different minions depending on what type of deck you're playing. Is it aggro? Gang Up some Agents for more removal. Is it control? Gang Up some charge minions for burst. You can't be sure when you'll get those minions though.

Maybe it's the return of Mill Rogue. So many Cold Light Oracles.

ZealousD

Come on now.

Are we really going to try and make mill a thing again?

It's dead, Jim.

JoeMartin

Bull. Gang Up is like the slowest card in the game. You might not even draw those Booms you copied.

Drop even the southsea or tech slot in oil rogue for gang up doesn't seem too terrible. You're very frequently drawing most or all of your deck, whatever you copy you're very likely to see at least 1 or 2 of.

ZealousD

Im maybe the only one that dont see Gang Up playable...also resurrect is a lot like MindGames that sees 0 play.

Resurrect is 10x better than Mindgames. Half the price and its your own card pool. Most priest cards are more than 2 mana. Insane value potential in the late game.

Frequently I run out of cards to play when I lose as rogue. In bad scenarios, you can often force really long matches due to blade flurry. So I can see gang up being pretty good in some match ups. Cause you're making your deck from 30 cards into 38 cards (not including gang up itself).

It also lets you effectively have more minions in heavier spell based rogue decks. Drawing these cards is not a problem, the unknown is when you will draw these cards.

As for a mill/fatigue deck, yeah it is definitely possible. Duplicate or echo is boss in fatigue mage. Imagine having to deal enough damage through 4 healbots, let alone 8.

Szadek

Gang up really isn't good.
Shuffeling a few cards in your decks doesn't really do much until way,way later in the game and maybe not even that.
Echo and dupliate are much better ,because they add cards to your hand and those cards are not played very often.

Gang Up guarantees we'll see mill rogue as a flavor of the week, but I doubt it'll have much impact beyond that.

Control rogue man. Dark iron skulker screams control. We even saw some control rogue decks early on in GVG. I am pumped to try out control rogue!

I still need dr. boom though lol. I think dr. boom belongs in control rogue, although I guess not a necessity for the deck to work.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Control rogue man. Dark iron skulker screams control. We even saw some control rogue decks early on in GVG. I am pumped to try out control rogue!

I still need dr. boom though lol. I think dr. boom belongs in control rogue, although I guess not a necessity for the deck to work.

Do you really not have Boom yet? Just craft the fucker, he is the safest 7 drop in the game.

Pooya

all the new cards are pretty meh for mages :\ nothing game changing I can see yet. I will add flamewaker to my mech mage for spare parts, should be decent but that's about it.

now hunter has even more damage cards, nice...

gang up on agent gonna be popular...

Dreavus

Maybe gang up could have a mini echo effect and add one to your hand and the other two to your deck? Doesn't break the flavour and gets you something right away. As it stands, it doesn't really do anything for you until the (very) late game.

EDIT: Well, I suppose for fatigue rogue, since it gives you that many more cards to stave off fatigue yourself.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Completely disagree. It's same stats as Kel'Thuzad, but even slower, and Kel'Thuzad is usually considered too slow.

I also think people are focusing too much on the few useless spells and ignoring the good ones when looking at Nefarian. Especially since Paladin is the likely Dragon class, and will be able to use the weapon spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom