• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Completely disagree. It's same stats as Kel'Thuzad, but even slower, and Kel'Thuzad is considered too slow.

I also think people are focusing too much on the few useless spells and ignoring the good ones when looking at Nefarian. Especially since Paladin is the likely Dragon class, and will be able to use the weapon spells.

Yeah, I think I'm going to put Nefarian and Onyxia as my high end dragons in my Paladin deck. Chromaggus too slow. Ysera too slow. Alexstrasza too clunky. Nozdormu too shitty. Malygos doesn't do anything. And putting out Onyxia or Nefarian on turn 7 is like super boom and super ancient of lore, respectively.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just once I would like to see a Majordomo somehow used to counter mirror entity.

Also I wonder what's up with Alexstrasza on a Ragnaros hero.

Neither makes the card good, but do make the card more fun.

egruntz

shelaughz
Quick Shot seems great. I wish Hunter would've gotten at least one card that wasn't particularly for the Face Hunter archetype though. Both of his cards are for that deck only it seems. Neither really fit midrange, and that's by far the more exciting Hunter deck.

I feel like Druid's rare (volcanic lumber) is seriously underrated already. I can see that card being a pain in the butt, especially in arena. The 5/2 or 2/5 card is rather junk, since there's very few situations to summon it at 5/2 for, but the choice in itself is what makes Druid so versatile.

Mage's rare minion is fantastic. Turn 3 drop + coin + arcane missiles is a combination that's practically a guaranteed board clear and setup for control. I'm really digging that card and think it's one of the better ones we've seen in this set.

Obviously the Emperor card is entirely ridiculous. Innervate it out early for some extreme value I'd think. Can only imagine the rage at the unstable portal --> turn 3 Emperor AGH!!

The cerebus card is too slow.

Dahbomb

It's kind of a bummer they only gave Paladin a Dragonnervate. I can understand not giving Druids an option but other classes sort of need something like that as well to make those late game Legendary dragons viable.

egruntz

shelaughz
It's kind of a bummer they only gave Paladin a Dragonnervate. I can understand not giving Druids an option but other classes sort of need something like that as well to make those late game Legendary dragons viable.

????

Druids already have Innvervate themselves AND Wild Growth.

They don't need more ramping options...

Rapstah

If Shaman (edit: wrote Druid first time, sorry) had gotten something that makes dragons randomly cheaper instead of their RNG attack minion I think that would have been fine.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Priest gettin the shaft with these cards.

Seriously? Resurrect is the most versatile card in the entire set that would be good in practically every Priest deck. In my opinion it's better than Quick Shot. Resurrect is an insta include 2, while Quick Shot could be only a include 1, depending on the deck.

Or are you upset about cards that somehow counter priest?

Levi

Banned
I guess Dark Wispers or Force of Nature has synergy with Volcanic Lumberer... Not a very exciting card, sadly. I guess if you can get it out for cheap early and they don't have Black Knight or BGH in their hand yet. Best not to judge a card on the best case scenario, though.

The other Druid card is more interesting. A 2/5 for 3 isn't that bad, but am I really going to cut Shades to make room for it? It's stronger against consecration or flamecannon, but weaker to sap or any other kind of hard removal. Since Druid wants sticky minions I wonder what the meta would have to look like for Druid of the Flame to see a ton of use, and neither Druid class card has any dragon synergy, so it doesn't look like Dragon Druid is going to be a particularly strong archetype.

Emperor Thaurissan looks like the most interesting legendary to me. Major, Nef and Rend are disappointing, but Chrom looks pretty fun. Put him down and draw savage roar, get an extra one, and if you have a decent board you can get lethal without FoN. An extra innervate, extra Sylvanis, extra healbot... At 8 mana you could not play him and coldlight oracle in the same turn, unless you have Emperor down.

Really excited to give these new cards a shot.

EDITED: Thought Coldlight was 2 mana

Joco

I take back what I said on Gang Up, I misread it and thought it meant add to your hand immediately instead of shuffling into your deck though. Still a solid card though.

Chromaggus is slow but I think he'd definitely be a great late game drop. Especially for decks that have a harder time with card draw. I'll definitely put him in my control warrior to at least try it out.

Cat Party

Can Ice Mage kill Ragnaros with freezing spells?
Rag hero is not a minion, but would still be a character. So anything that targets characters or enemies can hit it.
Just once I would like to see a Majordomo somehow used to counter mirror entity.

Also I wonder what's up with Alexstrasza on a Ragnaros hero.

Neither makes the card good, but do make the card more fun.
Alex will increase Rag to 15 health.

Cipherr

Qw4MLj7.png

Lawd Reekrus. Control decks assemble.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Volcanic Lumber would likely combo best with Poison Seeds. I can see it now, the Poison seeds - > Starfall -> Double Volcanic Lumber dream.

Rapstah

Alex will increase Rag to 15 health.

I still don't understand this. Alex doesn't change the maximum health of anything. Does this mean Ragnaros' maximum health is 15 or 30 and you get him at 8 anyway? I don't know how they should solve it with Alexstrasza's card text being what it is, but it's inconsistent any way they do it.

I still don't understand this. Alex doesn't change the maximum health of anything. Does this mean Ragnaros' maximum health is 15 or 30 and you get him at 8 anyway? I don't know how they should solve it with Alexstrasza's card text being what it is, but it's inconsistent any way they do it.

Ragnaros has 30 max HP. When the card transforms your hero to Rag, it also sets your current health to 8. It is basically the exact same as Alex, only it sets it to 8 instead of 15.

EDIT: I may be wrong, see below.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
On 11 wins and played the same mage twice in a row :|

And twice he top decked the win when i was about to bloodlust

Why

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Alex card text is simply "Set hero's health to 15". So it will up Rag's HP to 15. I don't know if he is just "over healed" or if it makes his max now 15 though.

Ragnaros has 30 max HP. When the card transforms your hero to Rag, it also sets your current health to 8. It is basically the exact same as Alex, only it sets it to 8 instead of 15.

Are you sure Rag has 30 max HP? From what I have heard his max is 8, like how Jaraxxus has a max of 15.

JesseZao

I don't think that's true. The hp for rag when it was 8 was white, meaning that's his "max" hp. Alex would change it to 15. You can't heal past 15 with Jaraxxus.

Gotchaye

Are you sure? I think the confusion here is coming from how Jaraxxus only has 15 max HP - you can't actually heal him above that and his Molten Giants cost more.

Guess I'm wrong. I swore someone in this thread linked to Brody saying Alex will reset Rag's health to 15... Which means Rag's max can't be 8 unless Alex has been re-worked.

Alexstrasza can in fact change maximum HP. If Jaraxxus has his max HP set 1 by Repentance, Alex can change it to 15. This is because Alex sets HP to 15 rather than deal damage or heal.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8t0nGzXVJk

Mazre

So release schedule speculation:

What we know: 5 wings, 17 bosses, presumably 9 class challenges.
Each wing will give a legendary, each boss either a neutral card or most likely one of the class commons, assuming the class challenges will give the class rares.

We'll see 3 weeks with 3 bosses and 2 weeks with 4 bosses, the first 4 weeks will have 2 class challenges and the last week will have 1. This will likely result in card releases of 6/6/6/7/6, assuming the last two weeks have 4 bosses each, though I could also see 6/6/7/7/5 occurring with weeks 3/4 being the two 4 boss weeks.

Unsure if they would include the class commons/rares in the same week or attempt to split them up such that 4 classes get something new every week vs 2.

Week 1 BRD:
Legendary - Emperor Thaurissan
Grim Guzzler Patron
Axe Flinger
(other common)
Rogue Challenge (Dark Iron Skulker)
?? Challenge

Rogue common warriror rare could fill this out but if not none of the other classes are immediately obvious, maybe rare druid, paladin common so that the common/rare combos match with their class quest pairings.

Week 2 BRS:
Legendary - Rend Blackhand
Dragon Egg
?? Class Common
?? Class Common
?? Class Challenge
?? Class Challenge

Week 3 Molten Core: (guessing 4 boss)
Legendary - Majordomo Executus
Neutral Minion 1
Neutral Minion 2
Imp Gang Boss
Fireguard Destroyer
Mage Challenge (Flamewalker)
Hunter Challenge (Core Rager)

Week 4 Blackwing Lair: (guessing 4 boss)
Legendary - Chromaggus
Blackwing Technician
Drakonid Crusher
?? Class Common
?? Class Common
?? Class Challenge
?? Class Challenge

Week 5 Blackwing Descent: (3 bosses)
Legendary - Nefarian
Blackwing Corruptor
Neutral Minion
Twilight Whelp
?? Class Challenge

Obviously lots of wiggle room in a lot of places depending on how close they try to get thematically, may not even be correct wing breakdown/order.

ZealousD

The class challenges will probably be spells, not minions. The minions fit thematically, the spells not as much.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, where Naxx mostly focused on Death Rattles, I guess BRM has two focuses. The early parts seem to be about AoE and dealing with AoE, and the later part will focus on Dragon's and their synergies.

And why doesn't Druid get a spell!

Is this all the cards revealed minus spells?

Will you be able to Majordomo and then use Jaraxxus? Rag would have 8 hp right?

Also Thaurissian looks amazing

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Shaman deck, no legends or anything over a 6 drop to 12 wins, was 11-0 then hit the same mage twice and god damn he wrecked me.

uRol0UC.jpg

4If1Rxn.jpg

RL3SiPY.jpg

PW2hMCJ.jpg

Mazre

The class challenges will probably be spells, not minions. The minions fit thematically, the spells not as much.

Good point. Maybe no neutral minions for Molten core week, hunter, mage, warlock, shaman minions all seem to fit there.

Druid is the true oddball with no spell, and neither minion seems BRM related. More like Firelands?

Opiate

Completely disagree. It's same stats as Kel'Thuzad, but even slower, and Kel'Thuzad is usually considered too slow.

I also think people are focusing too much on the few useless spells and ignoring the good ones when looking at Nefarian. Especially since Paladin is the likely Dragon class, and will be able to use the weapon spells.

The problem with Kel'Thuzad isn't the stats/cost, it's the preconditions for his use. You almost always want to use him when you have a favorable board state to begin with which you can then ressurrect. Playing Kel'thuzad on a near empty board is awkward; playing Chromaggus in the same conditions won't be.

ZealousD

The problem with Kel'Thuzad isn't the stats/cost, it's the preconditions for his use. You almost always want to use him when you have a favorable board state to begin with which you can then ressurrect. Playing Kel'thuzad on a near empty board is awkward; playing Chromaggus in the same conditions won't be.

Playing a 6/8 for 8 mana is horrible though. You have to guarantee the effect procs. If it's not the board state, it will be your hand state. Kel'thuzad and Chromaggus are effectively the exact same card until the text triggers. You have to have a certain board state when you play Kel'thuzad because a 6/8 for 8 mana is bad. And without minions on the board it will get silenced or hard removed. So you'll have to have a certain hand state where you can draw cards with Chromaggus before you can play him for the same reason.

Ashodin

Definition of a win more card.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Which more or less means he's slow, and Chromaggus is even slower. I was just using his stats/cost for a good comparison, not saying that they're particularly bad.

Point being it's very difficult for Chromaggus to get good value from his ability on the turn you play him, and he's probably going to die before you get to the next turn to use his ability.

egruntz

shelaughz
Definition of a win more card.

Win more cards don't really exist in Hearthstone. At any given second, the state of the game can swing in your opponent's favor, and vice versa. I see a lot of these "win more" cards as cards that help secure your win; closing out games is something that a lot of players struggle with, despite controlling the board the entire way, and it's because they lack spots in their deck that finalize their victory.

Some "win more" cards are rather essential. Really, they're "win" cards.

Sorry for the tangent.

EDIT: Not much discussion on Twilight Whelp. I'm seriously scared of this card. It's pretty beastly.

Szadek

Which more or less means he's slow, and Chromaggus is even slower. I was just using his stats/cost for a good comparison, not saying that they're particularly bad.

Point being it's very difficult for Chromaggus to get good value from his ability on the turn you play him, and he's probably going to die before you get to the next turn to use his ability.
On an empty/almost empty board he is a whole turn faster than KT.
KT doesn't do anything unltil you play another creature and until that creature gets destroyed.

CoolOff

Some of the best flavor texts:

Flamewaker (New) Flamewakers HATE being confused for Flamewalkers. They just wake up fire, they don’t walk on it. Walking on fire is CRAZY.

Imp Gang Boss (New) His imp gang likes to sneak into Stormwind to spraypaint "Ragnaros Rulez" on the Mage Tower.

Quick Shot (New) Han shot first.

Resurrect (New) I walked into the dungeon and noticed a slain adventurer. In his final moments, he had scrawled out a message in the dust on the wall beside him. Two words: "rez plz"

Twilight Whelp (New) The twilight whelps are basically magic-vampires. Despite this, they are not a reference to any popular series of novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom