• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

For people that are more interested in Arena than Contructed, ADWCTA of Heartharena fame did a really extensive meta review of the cards in Blackrock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWZjybgAQY&feature=youtu.be

It's way more in depth than any review I've seen even from the constructed-side of things.

So, finally finished all of it, bulletpoints:

* Game will slow down a lot. More incentive to trade > going face.

* Dragon tribal synergy won't happen nearly as often as Mechs, but they get drafted when there is an option to because of individual strength.

* Best cards introduced are Imp Gang Boss and Fireguard Destroyer.

* Will benefit Priest, Shaman, Mage (yay!). Rogue is fucked unless you're lucky drafting Dark Iron Skulkers, and we don't talk about Warrior.

* Volcanic Drake, Solemn Vigil (well, not swing), Volcanic Lumberer are insane swing cards.

KePoW

Banned

* Dragon tribal synergy won't happen nearly as often as Mechs, but they get drafted when there is an option to because of individual strength.

* Will benefit Priest, Shaman, Mage (yay!). Rogue is fucked unless you're lucky drafting Dark Iron Skulkers, and we don't talk about Warrior.

* Volcanic Drake, Solemn Vigil (well, not swing), Volcanic Lumberer are insane swing cards.

yesterday, Kripp says that Face Hunter will actually get better as well as agro in general

I trust Kripp because he's better Arena player than that guy and Kripp is cool

CoolOff

yesterday, Kripp says that Face Hunter will actually get better as well as agro in general

Face Hunter in constructed might get better (which is what I think is what he talked about), aggressive Hunter in Arena is not really likely to get better (what card would make that happen? Not Quick Shot), and aggro overall will get worse.

I'm fairly sure Priest is gonna start dominating (mostly since it hardcounters Mage) and the tempering class for that will be Paladin. Holy trinity. Shaman boost will be interesting.

Xanathus

I didn't watch Kripp's analysis but it sounds like he's talking about constructed, face Hunter is extremely difficult to build in arena because of the random picks.

Dahbomb

Yeah Kripp was talking about Face Hunter in Constructed... which pretty much everyone has come to the conclusion on.

That said Quick Shot is a very, very solid card for Arena as well. It improves Hunter's a bit in the Arena meta game.

All of this is reasonable. Dark Iron Skulker is a godlike Rogue card, it's just too bad it's a Rare.

Both the Warrior class cards are shit tier in Arena.

KePoW

Banned
Face Hunter in constructed might get better (which is what I think is what he talked about), aggressive Hunter in Arena is not really likely to get better (what card would make that happen? Not Quick Shot), and aggro overall will get worse.

I'm fairly sure Priest is gonna start dominating (mostly since it hardcounters Mage) and the tempering class for that will be Paladin. Holy trinity. Shaman boost will be interesting.

I didn't watch Kripp's analysis but it sounds like he's talking about constructed, face Hunter is extremely difficult to build in arena because of the random picks.

Ok yeah yall are right, I believe he meant constructed now that I think about it

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You know what the best part about Blackrock Mountain is?

No annoying sticky Deathrattle minions. The only Deathrattle minion might actually speed up the game in YOUR favor...

Imp Gang Boss is sticky. It's deathrattle plus.

My oil rogue ran into a brick wall on the ladder...Had to switch to mech mage to get some wins...goddamn daily quests.

edit- now that I think about it.. I've been having some problems lately making decisions in general about when to partially clear the board and when to let a minion through. I can play pure control and pure aggro but the stuff in between like oil rogue has been giving me a bit of trouble. It's also probably why my Arena performance thus far has been atrocious - 4 Arena sessions- wins - 0,1,4,1

Danj

I got as far as Rank 14, should I quit while I'm ahead or try to go further before the end of the season tonight?

mZKW7tL.jpg

jblank83

I got as far as Rank 14, should I quit while I'm ahead or try to go further before the end of the season tonight?

You can't drop below 20, so it doesn't matter as far as the monthly card back goes.
You get no reward for legendary, other than the first time for a legendary card back.

So have fun however you want.

KePoW

Banned
You can't drop below 20, so it doesn't matter as far as the monthly card back goes.
You get no reward for legendary, other than the first time for a legendary card back.

So have fun however you want.

really, there's no bigtime reward for reaching Legendary every season??

I thought there was, but I've never done it myself

if not, what's the point then??

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I saw someone else saying that face Hunter doesn't really have card slots to spare for the new spells.

bjaelke

really, there's no bigtime reward for reaching Legendary every season??

I thought there was, but I've never done it myself

if not, what's the point then??
You get the card back the first time you reach legendary. After that there's no incentives unless you're going for one of the top 16 places.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why is that 1 cost minion for priest considered good?

In order to work you must had a dragon deck right?
Yes, but a 2/3 for 1 mana is really good. The downfall is having a 2nd dragon in your starting hand likely will cause for very slow play.

Dahbomb

Why is that 1 cost minion for priest considered good?

In order to work you must had a dragon deck right?
It's considered OK at best.

Priest already has a very good 2/3 option in Zombie Chow and it can double as a Mind Blast with Auchenai combo. I guess Dragon Welp is more valuable in a full on Dragon deck but that is still in theory craft land right now.

bjaelke

Bug Fixes

Friends that are Away in Battle.net will no longer be displayed in your online friend count.
We've nailed the game board to the table: Spells that create screen shaking effects should no longer get your screen stuck in a bad position.
Warsong Commander will now give charge to minions summoned by other minions - charge forward!
Bane of Doom can now summon any collectible demons. Doom . . . DOOM!
Sylvanas Windrunner will no longer steal a minion that is about to die, which is weird because that's generally her thing.
Vol'jin will no longer destroy itself if the only other minion in play is stealthed.
Minions that are spawned from a Deathrattle are now targetable sooner. This will affect the Slime from Sludge Belcher, as well as the spawns from Harvest Golem, Piloted Shredder and Piloted Sky Golem.
General bug fixes and UI improvements.
Sweet

It's considered OK at best.

Priest already has a very good 2/3 option in Zombie Chow and it can double as a Mind Blast with Auchenai combo. I guess Dragon Welp is more valuable in a full on Dragon deck but that is still in theory craft land right now.

I think having 2-4 2/3 minions for 1 cost is a pretty good option for priest to have as well. Also priest doesn't necessarily want auchenai soulpriest. I think it opens up more possibilities overall. The clear downside to the card is that you won't always have a dragon in hand on turn 1.

Dahbomb

Minions that are spawned from a Deathrattle are now targetable sooner. This will affect the Slime from Sludge Belcher, as well as the spawns from Harvest Golem, Piloted Shredder and Piloted Sky Golem.
Now it wouldn't take like 2 minutes just to kill a couple of Belchers on board...

embalm

Friends that are Away in Battle.net will no longer be displayed in your online friend count.
We've nailed the game board to the table: Spells that create screen shaking effects should no longer get your screen stuck in a bad position.
Warsong Commander will now give charge to minions summoned by other minions - charge forward!
Bane of Doom can now summon any collectible demons. Doom . . . DOOM!
Sylvanas Windrunner will no longer steal a minion that is about to die, which is weird because that's generally her thing.
Vol'jin will no longer destroy itself if the only other minion in play is stealthed.
General bug fixes and UI improvements.
Warsong combos are coming...

Bane of Doom is now playable. It's about 30% chance to pull crazy high value from the spell. Demon spell power deck here I come.

Bad or Fair Draws (Less than 3 mana value):
>Blood Imp
>Flaming Imp
>Void Walker
>Mistress of Pain
>Void Terror

Good Draws(3+ mana value):
>Succubus
>Imp Gang Boss
>Void Caller
>Fel Guard
>Floating Watch
>Pit Lord

Insane Draws(6+ value):
>Dread Inferno
>Doom Guard
>Illidan (He will finally be played!)
>Lord Jaraxxus
>Mal'Ganis

I guess that means ropers can react even closer to the last second.

ViviOggi

There goes my attempt at the longest Hearthstone turn world record

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Glad they finally fixed Warsong, even though we're soon getting BRM cards added to the mix there's still some GvG stuff to mess with for her.

Zemm

Hey lets release a patch during prime time EU on the last night of the season, what can go wrong? Fucking idiots.

Wow, this tempo mage I made (inspired by ryzen's tempo mage he played on stream) is actually pretty fun. Just wrecked a mech magex2 and then a ramp druid. Also took down a control warrior. Granted, my unstable portals have been decent (cairne vs cw and ancient of war vs mech mage).

Vs the ramp druid I just had a 5 damage flame cannon on his 5hp 6 drop, then next turn he ancients of lore and I have 2 sorceress apprentice + 2x azure drakes, free frost bolt kill on that. He then conceded. Tempo is forever strong vs ramp druid but that was hilarious. I can't even finish my 100 damage quest cause people keep conceding before I can actually deal much damage to the face.

hah, now a turn 3 boulderfist ogre vs paladin. I guess it gets aldor'd though lol

edit:
It got aldor'd, several turns later he concedes before I can hit face much :(

Bane of doom should have stayed shitty. Now it can spawn one of the best minions in the game for like roughly 3 mana. Congrats on a stronger unstable portal bliz.

edit:
Wow someone already tried bane of doom on me - into counterspell!

lmao, casual so casual...

Dude runs his voidcaller into my sylvanas despite his being played first and then I get a free infernal. And then concedes... 100 damage to face is so easy on ranked cause no one concedes so fast...

Levi

Banned
Hey guys, I'm looking to improve my control warrior play. My CW has the highest winrate of all my decks (a hair above 60%) which beats my "main" right now of combo druid which is 10-10 during the same period. However, I'm struggling against Paladin (I've lost every game of CW vs Paladin this week) and I'm 50/50 against oil rogue which is a match up that is supposed to heavily favor CW. Rogues seem to take the board early, and if I don't draw into fiery war axe or death's bite on curve they can sap/eviscerate/si agent/backstab) all my mid game, keeep their minions on board and use the tinker's oil/buff minion/hit face/blade flurry to burst me down before I've had the chance to build up enough armor to survive. I get no value from my Acolytes/Armorsmiths vs rogue because of the removal, and they either save their sap (or, more frustratingly, topdeck it) to remove my on curve belcher which puts me way behind in tempo. What am I doing wrong?

Happily, I'm destroying every face hunter, most mech mages, and nearly every priest (although I hate those games because they generally last forever unless I draw perfectly and they don't).

Here's the list I'm running, cut whirlwind for Unstable Ghoul to help against aggro but I feel like it's put me behind against pally, and over the last few days I've replaced Ragnaros with Gorehowl, which has been amazing at controlling the board.

7x0F0r2.png

Cupcake card back kinda crappy IMO. But whatever, getting past rank 20 each season is mostly a "Did you play at least an hour this month?" task. Though I might actually have to play a handful of games for April since I only made it to 15 or something riding off my Legend stars from February (hardly played in March), compared to the single digit ranks I regularly made the previous months.

Still debating whether I want to even pre-order BRM or not since I haven't been putting nearly as much time into Hearthstone lately. The card back is nice, but will I really use it over the Legend one or any of the other numerous ones available? Probably not.

Hey guys, I'm looking to improve my control warrior play. My CW has the highest winrate of all my decks (a hair above 60%) which beats my "main" right now of combo druid which is 10-10 during the same period. However, I'm struggling against Paladin (I've lost every game of CW vs Paladin this week) and I'm 50/50 against oil rogue which is a match up that is supposed to heavily favor CW. Rogues seem to take the board early, and if I don't draw into fiery war axe or death's bite on curve they can sap/eviscerate/si agent/backstab) all my mid game, keeep their minions on board and use the tinker's oil/buff minion/hit face/blade flurry to burst me down before I've had the chance to build up enough armor to survive. I get no value from my Acolytes/Armorsmiths vs rogue because of the removal, and they either save their sap (or, more frustratingly, topdeck it) to remove my on curve belcher which puts me way behind in tempo. What am I doing wrong?

Happily, I'm destroying every face hunter, most mech mages, and nearly every priest (although I hate those games because they generally last forever unless I draw perfectly and they don't).

Here's the list I'm running, cut whirlwind for Unstable Ghoul to help against aggro but I feel like it's put me behind against pally, and over the last few days I've replaced Ragnaros with Gorehowl, which has been amazing at controlling the board.

7x0F0r2.png

You SHOULD lose to Paladin like 90% of the time if they play it smart and don't overcommit. It's just gonna happen, dudes >>>>>> armor up. They hardly even need to play anything to win, and they have enough removal to deal with your threats.

You should have a much better win rate vs. oil rogue, something like 70%+. Mainly you want to armor up beyond the total possible damage they can put out. If they're greedier and running Dr. Boom, this might be harder. Otherwise you're looking for weapons early to deal with the small minions (like SI). Violet Teachers and Drakes must be dealt with immediately though. You really have to control the board and try to prevent their limited creatures from being able to swing at all. You do that and they won't be able to get enough damage in to kill you unless they draw very well. You shouldn't really care about your acolytes and armorsmiths getting removed - that's less damage the rogue has to put on your face - but you do want to get some sort of value out of them and not just plop them down into easy removal turns. Know the breakpoints for the Rogue combos. Some simple rules to follow: If you let a Rogue's creature survive for more than 2 turns, you're gonna lose. If you let a Rogue have 2+ creatures out for more than a turn, you're gonna lose.

And Rag > Gorehowl in general, not a swap I would make. I don't have Harrison (yet) or Geddon, but Loatheb is better than Harrison on average in the Rogue matchup from my experience, so that might want to be a swap you consider - you're rarely going to get value out of the Harrison since they're unlikely to "hold" a weapon beyond a 1/2. Unstable Ghoul is okay, but Whirlwind has more utility and is much less vulnerable to being played around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom