• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

It should for Thoughtsteal, Webspinner, Duplicate as well but apparently Unstable Portal is the only one worthy of it.

Agreed. The funny thing is Unstable Portal is the only one of those that doesn't necessarily need a tag since you can always figure out whether it was a Portal pull or not based on the mana it cost to play the card.

Type2

It's kind of strange to think rank 13 is so high on the percentile. I started playing two weeks ago and put zero effort into getting it. I also still make foolish mistakes especially when trying to play hearthstone in between other games.
Random question anyone know what keyboard controls register in this game? My cat pulled a fast one while I was getting water and made a play for me. Just wondering what keys she could've stepped on and what they do.

Also thank you guys/gals for populating my friend list a bit.
If anyone still wants to add me it's Type2 #1944.

Also this looks janky but I want to try it:
lRXFJTG.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thanks! I've been wondering if running one single Novice Engineer might be worth it in a dragon pally deck just to get guaranteed instant value of of Chromaggus.

How about we not run a mediocre card just to make another mediocre card better.

Well, you have to remember it is a mobile game and a lot of people don't actually try to rank up. I'd rather see the breakdown for the top 50%.

How about we not run a mediocre card just to make another mediocre card better.

Some decks actually have been using novice engineer a bit. There was a high ranked fast rogue deck using it. Plus you calling chrommagus mediocre? :p

RPGCrazied

Yay, Blackrock tomorrow. I saved up enough coins. I have enough for the first 2 wings, closing on 3. Thank goodness I started early. No free wings this time.

It's kind of strange to think rank 13 is so high on the percentile. I started playing two weeks ago and put zero effort into getting it. I also still make foolish mistakes especially when trying to play hearthstone in between other games.
Random question anyone know what keyboard controls register in this game? My cat pulled a fast one while I was getting water and made a play for me. Just wondering what keys she could've stepped on and what they do.

lRXFJTG.png

I tried something similar to that deck and it didn't work out. The idea was that there are lots of low attack mechs, so they can benefit from Warsong, Mechwarper, and Hobgoblin, but the problem is you wind up with too many minions that just don't do a whole lot on their own. None of them are particularly strong, so it's hard to keep board control, and you don't have a significant source of damage, so even if you hold the board, it will take forever to kill the other player. I had a lot more success with a similar deathrattle deck that used Warsong to give charge to deathrattle minions (this was before they broke that particular interaction) and Baron Rivendare to double up on deathrattles. It worked really well when you could get a Dire Wolf Alpha out and then drop Warsong + Haunted Creeper. It was also great on the rare occasion that you could get a ton of 1/1s and 2/1s from deathrattles and then drop Warsong + Frothing Berserker to get a huge charge minion. Even then, I only ever made it to around Rank 10 with that deck and then ran into a wall.

Predictions for decks (for each class):

Dragon paladin

tempo/combo rogue (feat. dark iron skulker)

Tempo mage (feat. flamewalker)

Face Hunter w/ second place to midrange (both feat. quick shot)

tempo shaman (return to doomhammer/alakir race decks)

^these I feel confident about being very strong, with shaman making an oldschool with a newschool twist comeback

Zoo-demon lock (feat. gang imp and demonwrath)

control warrior (maybe 1 revenge cause it can be quite strong against decks it is currently weak against like shaman) - lets face it, control warrior will always be played anyway, the question is whether they include dragons or some other new legendary cards.

No idea about priest. I mean, I guess dragons look pretty suitable to priest, especially the dragonkin.

I forgot druid, cause while I think their current decks are enhanced in the way warrior/priest is, nothing really new I guess. Maybe dragon druid, well, likely dragon druid.

--

What I am most excited for?

Tempo rogue

Tempo mage

Dragon Paladin

Dahbomb

Someone is definitely going to try Face/Enrage Hunter.

2xWarsong Commander
2xGrim Patron
2xAxe Flinger
2xUnstable Ghouls
2xFrothing Berserker
2xDeath Bite
2xCruel Taskmaster
2xArcane Golen
2xFiery War Axe
1x Whirlwind
1x Bouncing Blade
2xWorgen
2xLeper Gnomes
1xRampage
1xBattle Rage
1x Owl
1x Dr Balanced
1xMortal Strike

Someone is definitely going to try Face/Enrage Hunter.

2xWarsong Commander
2xGrim Patron
2xAxe Flinger
2xUnstable Ghouls
2xFrothing Berserker
2xDeath Bite
2xCruel Taskmaster
2xArcane Golen
2xFiery War Axe
1x Whirlwind
1x Bouncing Blade
2xWorgen
2xLeper Gnomes
1xRampage
1xBattle Rage
1x Owl
1x Dr Balanced
1xMortal Strike

I think you mean face warrior

iirate

I'm really hopeful for dragon priest, but everything I'm putting together seems underwhelming on paper. I wish there was one more really good buff spell(on top of PWS and Chosen) to compliment Dragonkin Sorcerer. Light of the Naaru is legit, but doesn't really synergize with the sorcerer at all.

embalm

Can I say that Dragon Paladin as a concept sounds boss as fuck
I know! I can't figure out how to build a freaking deck with it though. It seems like dropping all the combo stuff for the dragon stuff, but I'm not sure what priest cards to include.

Can't wait to try it out once it's all released.

Dragner

Servers Down!

PS: 4 Bane of Dooms casted: 2 Malganis, 1 Voidcaller for my Malganis in hand and 1 Fell guard. Average value Kappa.

Levi

Banned
I forgot druid, cause while I think their current decks are enhanced in the way warrior/priest is, nothing really new I guess. Maybe dragon druid, well, likely dragon druid.

The only way I can see Dragon Druid working is for it be basically a clone of Ramp Druid with the top end replaced with Dragons and some of the synergy cards mixed in. You can't really cut Innervate, Wild Growth, Swipe, Keeper, Druid of the Claw, or Ancient of Lore, and if you run combo you want minions that stick, so keeping some cheapo dragons in your hand just to get synergy goes against your gameplan. As a Druid main, the lack of good new class cards doesn't have me too excited for what BRM does for Druid. I think Emperor Thaurissan will be an auto include, at least at first, because mana discounts totally fit the Druid archetype. Only playtesting will show whether he'll make enough of an impact to make it worth it. The problem is if you Wild Growth/Innervate him out early, you probably don't have enough cards left in your hand to take advantage of the discount, and if he gets removed right away you might get a 2 or 3 mana discount at best.

There will definitely people experimenting with new Druid archetypes, or reworked old ones that weren't very competitive. Volcanic Drake has obvious synergy with Soul of the Forest (give minion deathrattle of Summon a 2/2 Treant), Dark Wispers (summon 6 1/1 Wisps) and Force of Nature, so there might be something that could be done there.

It's pretty clear that people who want to use a lot of Dragons are going to be playing Paladin, the same way that 90% of Mech Decks are Mage, most Murloc decks are Shaman, most Pirate decks are Rogue -- there are exceptions but I don't see every class having a "Tier 1" Dragon-themed deck. Paladin and Priest seem to be the two that are going to be the most Dragon friendly.

Dragon paladin

Chromagus could easily be a ysera or nefarian. If rend turns out to be shit as people suspect I'll replace with BGH or something like that.

Tempo Mage

Mage is the class I have the least experience at deck building with of these 3.

Tempo Rogue

Might cut 1 dark iron skulker for emperor thaurissian or maybe something else for it. It does help pull off some degenerate combos.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Hobgoblin decks can be legit, but I'm not sure what putting it in Warrior can do for you. You need better card draw, which typically means using warlocks hero power, or Paladin's Divine Favor.

It also can be helpful to have an Abusive Sargent, Knife Juggler, or Dark Iron Dwarf in it to help with the low damage when you don't get the hobgoblin boost.

Rapstah

The new timer they added to the queue window tells me I should be getting a match in between minus one minute and two minutes.

I'm Rapstah#2236 on EU.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon paladin

Chromagus could easily be a ysera or nefarian. If rend turns out to be shit as people suspect I'll replace with BGH or something like that.

Tempo Mage

Tempo Rogue

Might cut 1 dark iron skulker for emperor thaurissian or maybe something else for it. It does help pull off some degenerate combos.

I'd like to see them but those images look extremely small, and not entirely complete to me.

Volimar

Collecting from a reddit thread (probably this is mixing up some EU and NA stats):

Rank | Percentile

L | 0.25%
2 | 0.3%
3 | 0.5%
4 | 1% 2%
5 | 2%
6 | 3%
8 | 5%
9 | 6% 7%
10 | 9%
11 | 15% (?) 12% (EU)
12 | 15%
13 | 20%
14 | 25%
15 | 30%
16 | 40%
17 | 45%
18 | 50%

I was 12% and I play on NA.

iirate

Looking forward to that wonderful three days before everybody is playing mech mage and face hunter again.

Ironically, the first few days of a new set is the absolute best time to play the fastest top-tier deck. Most decks using the new cards and strategies will be unoptimized and clunky, and can easily fall prey to well-honed aggro.

I'd like to see them but those images look extremely small, and not entirely complete to me.

They are 30 card lists but I can upload larger versions:

Tempo Mage

Tempo Rogue

Dragon Paladin

I hope those are big enough to be viewed easily.

Oh really the tempo mage needs more work. Somehow I skipped including 2x mirror images. Might cut 1 unstable portal for that I think. Really mage is my least experience class of the 3 when it comes to deck building though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They are 30 card lists but I can upload larger versions:

Tempo Mage

Tempo Rogue

Dragon Paladin

I hope those are big enough to be viewed easily.

edit:
Oh really the tempo mage needs more work. Somehow I skipped including 2x mirror images. Might cut 1 unstable portal for that I think. Really mage is my least experience class of the 3 when it comes to deck building though.

Still the same size. Are you maybe linking to the thumbnail pic and not the actual one? or maybe it's just me, I don't know.

squidyj

Dragon paladin

Tempo Mage

Tempo Rogue

Re: Paladin

you have 5 dragons in your deck
5 cards requiring dragons
2 cards that accelerate other dragons, but cost more than your hungry dragons. If you play a hungry dragon on 4 you only have 4 cards that can be accelerated by hungry dragon and they might not come when you need them.

You have a good chance of not getting activators for technician or
if you draw your consorts late game you get the value off of 1 for chromaggus and then you stand a reasonable chance of playing the other as a 5/5 for 5. Better than a 30% chance of not having a dragon in hand on turn 3. 20% by turn 5, assuming you didn't play a hungry dragon as your only dragon drawn on turn 4, then the odds get even worse.

Rend requires you to hold an additional card in reserve to get value out of his battlecry, without his battlecry he does absolutely fucking nothing. When you have so few dragons to start I think you'll find that trying to get value out of rend will mean making terrible plays.

I think this deck can work if you get the right draws but It looks like a deck that'll be lacking in consistency.
I would play BGH instead of rend, it has no additional requirements, I would also try to find a way to put more dragons in there.

Do you have the quest in your quest log? It is a daily quest, not an achievement.

Beaten!

Oh I see. Earlier someone claimed the screenshot showing it as a daily was photoshopped, so I thought it was a one-time thing. Cool to know you can get that quest N number of times.

Re: Paladin

you have 5 dragons in your deck
5 cards requiring dragons
2 cards that accelerate other dragons, but cost more than your hungry dragons. If you play a hungry dragon on 4 you only have 4 cards that can be accelerated by hungry dragon and they might not come when you need them.

You have a good chance of not getting activators for technician or
if you draw your consorts late game you get the value off of 1 for chromaggus and then you stand a reasonable chance of playing the other as a 5/5 for 5. Better than a 30% chance of not having a dragon in hand on turn 3. 20% by turn 5, assuming you didn't play a hungry dragon as your only dragon drawn on turn 4, then the odds get even worse.

Rend requires you to hold an additional card in reserve to get value out of his battlecry, without his battlecry he does absolutely fucking nothing. When you have so few dragons to start I think you'll find that trying to get value out of rend will mean making terrible plays.

I think this deck can work if you get the right draws but It looks like a deck that'll be lacking in consistency.
I would play BGH instead of rend, it has no additional requirements, I would also try to find a way to put more dragons in there.

It is actually 7 dragons:
2x hungry dragons
2x dragon consort
2x volcanic dragon
1x chrommagus

I'm not really worried about the number of "dragon in hand" cards at this point. A lot of that will have to due with mulligan strategies and granted that will be quite difficult to figure out but mostly because it is a new mechanic.

There are really only two cards (well three if you count chromaggus) that are questionable, at least to me, just on the face of the deck. Solemn vigil and rend. I think Rend is a hidden gem and solemn vigil's card draw just may not be all that necessary. That said, these are easily changed cards for harrison and bgh or an owl if need be. It'll depend on how the meta goes most likely, which goes for other small changes like including a BGH alongside rend is a big possibility.

Also I forgot to update the list with 1 quartermaster in exchange of sylvanas.

edit:
This said and all, but I find paladin to be highly volatile based on the meta so all this said now is just gonna have to really wait a long time to see how the meta actually is once the cards hit.

I think he was given most of his packs by fans/donations though. Don't believe he actually won the gold for most of that

He plays almost exclusively Arena, and is very good at it. It's more than possible that he earned the vast majority of those cards. When I was watching him (don't get the time now cause I'm at work when he's on), he'd always spend any gold over 4K after awhile so he was buying maybe 3-4 packs a day on top of the pack from every run.

I remember watching him on GVG launch day and he was crating gold legendaries like they were commons.

And to be fair, I don't begrudge him buying packs with money. It's his job, having all the cards is just a good investment on his part. It's not like Amaz buying 40 packs every time WHOOP WHOOP IT'S DA SOUND OF DA POLICE happens (I still like Amaz though).

squidyj

It is actually 7 dragons:
2x hungry dragons
2x dragon consort
2x volcanic dragon
1x chrommagus

I'm not really worried about the number of "dragon in hand" cards at this point. A lot of that will have to due with mulligan strategies and granted that will be quite difficult to figure out but mostly because it is a new mechanic.

There are really only two cards (well three if you count chromaggus) that are questionable, at least to me, just on the face of the deck. Solemn vigil and rend. I think Rend is a hidden gem and solemn vigil's card draw just may not be all that necessary. That said, these are easily changed cards for harrison and bgh or an owl if need be. It'll depend on how the meta goes most likely, which goes for other small changes like including a BGH alongside rend is a big possibility.

Also I forgot to update the list with 1 quartermaster in exchange of sylvanas.

edit:
This said and all, but I find paladin to be highly volatile based on the meta so all this said now is just gonna have to really wait a long time to see how the meta actually is once the cards hit.

I don't know how I missed the volcanics :p My bad then. should be much better then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom