• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK YOU BANE OF DOOM! I JUST LOST A GAME BECAUSE YOU SUMMONED 2 MALGANIS! Not to mention the one he had in the deck so i ended up killing 3 malganis, after that he jaraxus and won the game. Fuck bane of doom is good now.

CoolOff

Blade Flurry is Rogue's single best card imo, unless I'd also cut all poisons for some crazy reason I'll always run two

Yep, my thinking is cutting all weapon enhancers, and mostly use the heropower for value trading with my minions.

It might be incredibly weak to zerg type decks though, but in my head Backstab, SI7, one Fan with some spellpower, and Dark Iron Skulkers might be enough.

Also considering Assassinate, or whether double Sap is enough.

gutshot

I swear Blizzard increases the drop rate of good cards from these types of cards shortly after they go live to increase the hype. Bane of Doom is spawning Jaraxxuses, Mal'Ganises and Doomguards at an astonishing rate. Remember when GvG first launched and Unstable Portal was spitting out legendaries left and right? I can't even remember the last time someone Unstable Portal'd into a legendary against me now. It's been months. Real fishy, Blizz.

CoolOff

I swear Blizzard increases the drop rate of good cards from these types of cards shortly after they go live to increase the hype. Bane of Doom is spawning Jaraxxuses, Mal'Ganises and Doomguards at an astonishing rate. Remember when GvG first launched and Unstable Portal was spitting out legendaries left and right? I can't even remember the last time someone Unstable Portal'd into a legendary against me now. It's been months. Real fishy, Blizz.

I got Tirion twice yesterday from my portals. :3

Haunted

Not knowing anything about wow, who's the guy talking to Ragnaros when you enter the Blackrock Mountain menu for the first time?

gutshot

HearthArena has updated their tier list with the cards from the first wing of BRM.

http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist

And as I predicted Dragon's Breath lands in the average tier, worse than Fireball, Frostbolt, etc. but better than just about every other Mage spell. Definitely not a crappy spell intended to nerf Mage in arena.

Haunted

Nefarian in human form.
Gotcha. Description text said Nefarian was evil, seemed more like a grumpy landlord from the little bit with Ragnaros. :lol

I assume he'll be the final boss of BMR and that his characterisation here in Hearthstone is much more lighthearted than in Warcraft lore proper (much like KT).

Dahbomb

HearthArena has updated their tier list with the cards from the first wing of BRM.

And as I predicted Dragon's Breath lands in the average tier, worse than Fireball, Frostbolt, etc. but better than just about every other Mage spell. Definitely not a crappy spell intended to nerf Mage in arena.
Blizzard doesn't balance for Arena anyway. Anyone who thought that Dragon's Breath was put into the game to nerf Mage needs to learn how Blizzard makes cards in the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I dislike their arena stats because I feel they give to much weight to what they believe a card is worth, over how it performs, and boost or lower the "value" of a card even if their data says otherwise. Like how Hungry Crab if you went by the chance of winning with it should be 45, but they lower it significantly. Call Pet and Flame Leviathan are more cards they artificially deflate the value of despite their data saying its a tier or two better then where they place it (Flame Leviathan by the numbers should be in the same Tier Boom is, but it gets pushed down to 'Above Average'). On the other side of the coin, they inflate Yeti's value in their system a tier because of tradition.

gutshot

I dislike their arena stats because I feel they give to much weight to what they believe a card is worth, over how it performs, and boost or lower the "value" of a card even if their data says otherwise. Like how Hungry Crab if you went by the chance of winning with it should be 45, but they lower it significantly. Call Pet and Flame Leviathan are more cards they artificially deflate the value of despite their data saying its a tier or two better then where they place it (Flame Leviathan by the numbers should be in the same Tier Boom is, but it gets pushed down to 'Above Average'). On the other side of the coin, they inflate Yeti's value in their system a tier because of tradition.

What numbers are you talking about? I know that HearthArena recently adjusted their tier list to account for how cards were performing. I suspect they will continue to do so as they get more comprehensive stats.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Flame Leviathan same tier as Dr Balanced?

Surely you jest sir.
Here, lets put it this way. The reason both Dr Boom is so good is he does a large amount of damage that is hard to prevent (2-8 from the bots), plus has a large body at 7 mana.

Flame Leviathan causes are large amount of damage that can't be avoided (2 to everything), and can be placed for a large body at 7 mana.

And here is the blurb from the the guy who runs it.
The Mysterious Case of the Flame Leviathan. Speaking of things that punched wayyy above its weight. . . presenting: Flame Leviathan. 7/7 for 7 mana, with a totally RNG 2-damage board clear. This card should not be much better than a War Golem. We did not move it. But, it definitely wins the award for the biggest wtf stat. If rated purely by statistics. Flame Leviathan would be rated a 94 (150 run sample size, so on the small side, but not worthless).

-----------
What numbers are you talking about? I know that HearthArena recently adjusted their tier list to account for how cards were performing. I suspect they will continue to do so as they get more comprehensive stats.

These:
Dr. Boom is OP. Yup, even in arena. I'm not going to go too deep into it, but we're not giving it its proper due in this Tier List due in part to the slight RNG, and due in part to leaving some space for potential better cards. But seriously, Blizzard. Every result ever gathered in Hearthstone with Dr. Boom is pointing in the same direction. I was never a huge fan of the card (and only used it once), and so we didn't have it top-tier rated. But, the stats for this are as ridiculous as the stats for Ancestor's Call (I've said it on stream before, but if we could, we'd give this thing a -30 tier score, max, so that nothing heartharena does could push it over a hungry crab). Oh, and speaking of Hungry Crab. It's pure statistical value is about a 44 Tier Score. We are not joking. The sample size is surprisingly decent as well. Please post your personal testing results.

It's Still Very Very Good to Draw Cards. We were never huge fans of card draw, and with GvG's more tempo-based meta in the Arena, it seemed like most players had come around to our thinking (or even gone further than that into straight up aggro). Well, two classes aside (Hunter and Warlock), cards that draw other cards are still very very good. If we stuck straight to the statistics, Acolyte of Pain would be one of the top 3 common neutrals. Novice Engineer statistically is one of the top 3 2-mana minions. Shiv is great, Hammer of Wrath and Starfire are certainly not "too slow", and even friggin Call Pet is not an awful card (that's right, we're actually artificially deflating Call Pet's score, to stay sane).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Redoing the class challenges from Naxx to get in the mood, fuck the druid and mage ones, you can end up losing games because of terrible card draw, in one mage game he drew 5 doomguards in a row, in one druid game i drew 4 gargoyles and on turn 3 he had a 7-8 acolyte

Dahbomb

You can't always go by stats. A lot less people pick Flame Leviathan over other Legendaries and when they do it means they already have a fairly slow deck with big minions. Flame Leviathan is a lot harder to fit into a deck and has a big potential negative side to it where as Dr Balanced does not have it.

Flame Leviathan should not be a 94 rated card in Arena and should never be in the same tier as Dr Balanced. Plus the guy even admits that the sample size is pretty small.

gutshot

Here, lets put it this way. The reason both Dr Boom is so good is he does a large amount of damage that is hard to prevent (2-8 from the bots), plus has a large body at 7 mana.

Flame Leviathan causes are large amount of damage that can't be avoided (2 to everything), and can be placed for a large body at 7 mana.

And here is the blurb from the the guy who runs it.

-----------

These:

I think they are just not wanting to overreact to a potential outlier in the data and are sticking to their own playtesting experience and common knowledge in certain cases. Like I said, if the data continues to suggest that common knowledge and personal experience is wrong, I'm sure they will adjust accordingly. They did adjust a bunch of cards, so the cases where they are sticking to their guns is rare and, in my opinion, warranted.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can't always go by stats. A lot less people pick Flame Leviathan over other Legendaries and when they do it means they already have a fairly slow deck with big minions. Flame Leviathan is a lot harder to fit into a deck and has a big potential negative side to it where as Dr Balanced does not have it.

Flame Leviathan should not be a 94 rated card in Arena and should never be in the same tier as Dr Balanced. Plus the guy even admits that the sample size is pretty small.

150 is not that small sample size though. Even for an "unlimited" population You would only have roughly a 10% margin of error with it (It could even be higher value then Boom!)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gotcha. Description text said Nefarian was evil, seemed more like a grumpy landlord from the little bit with Ragnaros. :lol

I assume he'll be the final boss of BMR and that his characterisation here in Hearthstone is much more lighthearted than in Warcraft lore proper (much like KT).

Nefarian isn't super serious in WoW either. He has a few jokes.

There's one joke from BRM that you'll see in Hidden Laboratory which is straight from WoW for certain.

Slayer of Stupid, Incompetent, and Disappointing Minions.

Ikkarus

FUCK YOU BANE OF DOOM! I JUST LOST A GAME BECAUSE YOU SUMMONED 2 MALGANIS! Not to mention the one he had in the deck so i ended up killing 3 malganis, after that he jaraxus and won the game. Fuck bane of doom is good now.
Bane of Doom is much better. The element of RNG will still weaken the card however the odds of pulling a decent-great demon is high with it now.

Danj

I'm having real trouble getting off the mark of Rank 20 this time around, is it because all the good players are now back down to rank 20 too?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, the world first hype is real? (4 clients)

TpD5V2F.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

TpD5V2F.jpg

Wonder what sort of trollishness he we do

Only downside to this whole thing is im a have to try to watch 4-5 streams at once D:

But I cant wait :3

TpD5V2F.jpg

Twitch or someone thought up some stupid contest where the world "first" wins 200 dollars. But you have to stream it on twitch and have a VOD for it and it has to be each wing. I don't really get the point. It is quite stupid since it opens first on NA apparently.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twitch or someone thought up some stupid contest where the world "first" wins 200 dollars. But you have to stream it on twitch and have a VOD for it and it has to be each wing. I don't really get the point. It is quite stupid since it opens first on NA apparently.

Well Twitch/Amazon is a US company, so I don't think they care that much about the second part.

Xanathus

xanathus#6279 on NA servers for anyone who wants to spectate me when BRM is out PogChamp

edit: I'll just be doing the wing, class challenges and heroic

^ yeah, next week's cards are going to be amazing.

I'm miffed about all the wings not being open right away for $$ payers. I want my priest cards tonight, god damn.
eh, it's fun to have something to look forward to each week. The staggered release period will be over before you know it :)

and yeah, it also allows freemium players time to earn gold for each wing.

Instant unlock for $$ payment would indeed be a form of pay 2 win and it would be pretty fucked up.

I mean, unless you could unlock each wing for gold instantly as well, but that doesn't seem to be what he was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom