• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I can honestly see people replaying this Mage Challenge just for the weird shenanigans that happen. It's pure chaos.

If it's anything like the hunter challenge then I totally will. The "All Webspinner Deck" was hilarious. All Unstable portals will be equally funny IMO.

Emarv

If it's anything like the hunter challenge then I totally will. The "All Webspinner Deck" was hilarious. All Unstable portals will be equally funny IMO.

I'm playing it again right now and I have him at 2 HP on Turn 6. Going to try and sit and fatigue him.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Forsens first game and a druid innervates emperor

Good god D:

Dahbomb

Just beat the Heroic 2 Boss with Fatigue Mage.

It was going good for him until he Deathwing'd his entire hand of Legendaries....

inky

Doing the second Heroic Boss. I steal his Sneed's, clear the board, on my way to winning until he fucking Deathwings me... except my stolen Sneed's summons Kel Thuzad on death and I get everything back, LOL

lmao1rfu1x.png

lmao25juqs.png

Sometimes RNG in Hearthstone is the best.

Doing Grimstone heroic. He has 6 1/1's and the Gelbin invention that heals 6. He just goes face every turn so it heals me back up at the end of each turn. Just going to let him fatigue himself until i can finish him off.

Edit: Killed off his minions and he immediately played Deathwing and discarded his whole hand. Easy win lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why does the injured blademaster spawn as 4-7 when he gets spawned from "Resurrect"?

i just beat heroic grimstone with a mill druid deck, after many tries

he finally played the best possible minions for me to win, cho and pagle

we just traded naturalize back and forth. he almost got me, but i had drawn tree of life in time, so i was able to reset

XReZSF1.png

after that i just bounced my healbot back to my hand a bunch and it was smooth sailing
smile.gif

i was a little worried he'd tree of life himself, but i did 17 fatigue damage to him with my final play, so he didn't have the opportunity to

oh also a pivotal moment was when i was debating whether or not to mct, and in retrospect, i really shouldnt have. cant risk grabbing his cho, which was taunted up. but instead i grabbed his cairne, so, i got super lucky

heres the deck if you want to try it. absolutely take out the taunts, those were a mistake. you dont want him killing off his 1/1s

xcKv613.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm watching Forsen and so far every deck had the emperor and had some crazy plays after. A freeze mage that did 1 mana double kobold geomancer, 1 mana double frostbolt into 0 mana double ice lance.

Warrior that just did 0 mana iron beak on his shredder, 0 mana war axe to clean up, 4 mana sylvanas with a 1 mana armorsmith.

This looks hilarious.

Dahbomb

I'm watching Forsen and so far every deck had the emperor and had some crazy plays after. A freeze mage that did 1 mana double kobold geomancer, 1 mana double frostbolt into 0 mana double ice lance.

Warrior that just did 0 mana iron beak on his shredder, 0 mana war axe to clean up, 4 mana sylvanas with a 1 mana armorsmith.

This looks hilarious.

Emperor Balanced basically. Like everyone expected.

squidyj

I"m kind of liking grim patron, I'm trying to construct a warrior deck built out of mostly cards that become unreasonably threatening if left alone, frothing berserker etc, so I can go face and force my opponent to play removal. Patron just keeps giving me more and more 3/3s that I can then throw around into whatever I want.

Either if he lives a turn or if I combo on the turn I play him into having 2 full health patrons it usually gets pretty tough for everyone but rogue to clear them out.

Also Emperor is at least as great as everyone predicted, no surprise.

iirate

Why does the injured blademaster spawn as 4-7 when he gets spawned from "Resurrect"?

because since he isn't played his battlecry isn't triggered.

When evaluating Ressurection, I've only considered the good battlecries that won't trigger, and not the bad ones. Maybe Hungry Dragon won't be as bad in priest as I was thinking(especially w/Cabal Shadow Priest & Shadow Madness)...

JohnCYQ

Emperor seem OP as fuck as predicted by everyone. Holy shit, this card might actually see a huge, quick nerf at this rate (change him from every-turn effect to a battlecry).

gutshot

Emperor seem OP as fuck as predicted by everyone. Holy shit, this card might actually see a huge, quick nerf at this rate (change him from every-turn effect to a battlecry).

I can see him getting Nat Pagle'd and his effect being changed to beginning of turn, as opposed to end. Gives less immediate value but can still snowball if your opponent can't deal with him right away.

Dragner

In fact a battlecry isnt much of a nerf since he isnt going to be alive for more of a turn 90% of the time and a battlecry could, in fact, make him even better since you can use discounted spells after you play it and not next turn.

I expect to see the Nat Paggle nerf, change it to happen at the beggining of your turn.

IceMarker

Let it be known that a random guy and Ashodin today helped me discover the love and life of turn 6 Emperor into turn 7 Warsong + Grim Patron + Taskmaster on OTK Warrior. WE DID IT GAF

jU4WXk3.png

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Poor Reynad having so much troble with final boss :(

JohnCYQ

I can see him getting Nat Pagle'd and his effect being changed to beginning of turn, as opposed to end. Gives less immediate value but can still snowball if your opponent can't deal with him right away.

In fact a battlecry isnt much of a nerf since he isnt going to be alive for more of a turn 90% of the time and a battlecry could, in fact, make him even better since you can use discounted spells after you play it and not next turn.

I expect to see the Nat Paggle nerf, change it to happen at the beggining of your turn.

Good point on that. Thing is though, it still makes an innervated Emperor nearly impossible to kill for most classes that don't already have a board to trade with. Seeing Forsen play-test his rogue deck, Emperor + Conceal (or even goddamn Master of Disguise) will be a problem too for pagle-nerf.

tylerf

Having to attempt this Grimstone fight on heroic a few times is super annoying because you have to listen to him monologue over and over and over.

Dahbomb

Priest Deck I used to beat the final boss:

2x Healing Circle (though one is probably enough)
2x Holy Smite (early game board control)
2x Light of Naaru (clutch heal and minion on board, great value in this deck)
2x Zombie Chow (early game board control, he has a lot of cheap effective minions like Flame Imp)
2x Power Word Shield (to buff up his wife and for the card draw)
2x Cleric (for the draws, just be careful not to overdraw in this deck)
2x Crazy Alchemist (this was key in order to swap her health from 1 to 3)
2x Owls (necessary to silence the Abominations that can kill his wife)
2x Shadow Word Pain (he uses a bunch of very effective 2 attack minions like Imp Gang Boss and Axe Flinger)
2x Ooze (he uses a lot of weapons)
1x Harrison Jones (he uses weapons)
2x Light Wells (key as in he goes face a lot)
2x Injured Blade Master (with the heals you can have him at high healt)
2x Shadow Madness (he gives you a lot of targets for it like Loot Hoarder, Imp Gang Boss etc)
2x Holy Fire (he has 2 Fire Elementals you need to take down with this spell)

Don't over commit on the board as he has Flamestrike.

2nd boss I used a very standard Fatigue Mage. Double Polymorphs, double BGH, all the freeze AOE spells you can get, double Belchers, double Deathlords, double Explosive Sheep, double Coldlights. Stall his board until he goes to Fatigue. In the middle of the game he is likely to Deathwing his entire hand away... just make sure you have that one Polymorph for his Deathwing and the other one for his Fuegen/Stallaag combo.

1st boss I used a modified Handlock where I took out every spell except Shadow Flame and Hellfire plus Siphon Soul. Then packed my deck with a shit ton of high health Legendaries, Giants and big taunts (Belcher, Sunwalker, Deathlords, Annoyotrons were clutch). Foe Reaper was godlike as was Kel Thuzad and the Shadowflames.

Xanathus

Priest Deck I used to beat the final boss:

2x Healing Circle (though one is probably enough)
2x Holy Smite (early game board control)
2x Light of Naaru (clutch heal and minion on board, great value in this deck)
2x Zombie Chow (early game board control, he has a lot of cheap effective minions like Flame Imp)
2x Power Word Shield (to buff up his wife and for the card draw)
2x Cleric (for the draws, just be careful not to overdraw in this deck)
2x Crazy Alchemist (this was key in order to swap her health from 1 to 3)
2x Owls (necessary to silence the Abominations that can kill his wife)
2x Shadow Word Pain (he uses a bunch of very effective 2 attack minions like Imp Gang Boss and Axe Flinger)
2x Ooze (he uses a lot of weapons)
1x Harrison Jones (he uses weapons)
2x Light Wells (key as in he goes face a lot)
2x Injured Blade Master (with the heals you can have him at high healt)
2x Shadow Madness (he gives you a lot of targets for it like Loot Hoarder, Imp Gang Boss etc)
2x Holy Fire (he has 2 Fire Elementals you need to take down with this spell)

Don't over commit on the board as he has Flamestrike.

The trick for me was to use Crazed Alchemist to change his wife to 1/3 which not only nullifies her damage but also makes her more resistant to his AOE minions.

Dahbomb

The trick for me was to use Crazed Alchemist to change his wife to 1/3 which not only nullifies her damage but also makes her more resistant to his AOE minions.
Yeah when I discovered that trick out it I beat him.

I was trying it out with Paladin earlier in order to make her 1/1 but that didn't work when the other guy had Death Bite/Abomination/Ghouls etc. Priest can give her more health (Power Word Shield) and even heal her up after the self AOEs. Crazy Alchemist was what I needed as the clutch and once I used that I beat her first try.

Based on the cards I faced in the challenges:

*Thaurissan is currently broken IMO... stronger than even Dr Balanced. I thought this was by far the best card in the expansion and after playing against it, it's true.

*Quick Shot is godlike as expected. Clutch board control in early game for tempo swing. Putting two in every Hunter Decks.

*Grim Patron and Axe Flinger are better than expected. Axe Flinger is annoying as fuck to play against... he usually gets two hits in. This card might as well read (2/5 4 mana deal 2 damage to enemy when you die). Face Warrior is actually going to be a thing now, this combo is effective.

*Imp Gang Boss is top tier. I know this was one of the best cards in the game but playing against it you realize it even more. The 4 health is insane and he usually gets at least two imps off. Very, very annoying minion to play against... had to put in two Shadow Word Pains just to deal with it.

*Dragon's Breath sucks as expected. I played with a Mage deck using AOEs and such but there was no point in the game were using the spell (EVEN at discounted as low as 1) was that helpful. 4 damage just isn't as useful as 2 card draws or a 6/4 body.

I can honestly see people replaying this Mage Challenge just for the weird shenanigans that happen. It's pure chaos.
Holy shit! This is exactly what I was hopping it would be, just like the Hunter one from Naxx.

LOL, the dude just Millhoused me on turn 2. I love this!

Xanathus

Yeah when I discovered that trick out it I beat him.

I was trying it out with Paladin earlier in order to make her 1/1 but that didn't work when the other guy had Death Bite/Abomination/Ghouls etc. Priest can give her more health (Power Word Shield) and even heal her up after the self AOEs. Crazy Alchemist was what I needed as the clutch and once I used that I beat her first try.

Oops, didn't see CA in your list, I'm sleepy. But Priest is basically the MVP for the 2nd and 3rd heroic bosses in the first wing.

Anyone else draw Flame Leviathan in the mage challenge? And then have it not added to you hand?

EDIT: Err maybe it was him that drew it. Not sure now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
come on fucking blizzard

drop the game in EU already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom