• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh. I know everyone says "search on HearthPwn" when I ask for recommendations, but is there one on there that I can afford that sucks less than this?

Aggro decks are usually the cheapest. There's a decently popular aggro deck for Paladin known as Shockadin that is relatively affordable. Just copy that archetype and make swaps where you need to.

Tacitus_

You can limit searches for dust cost and/or cards in the deck. For example you can search for a deck that costs less than 4k dust and doesn't have boom in it.

Iryx

Grim Patron combo Warrior is surprisingly fun. Emperor helps so much since you can play Warsong, Frothing and Grim Patron on the same turn with 0 mana Whirlwinds.

Danj

Aggro decks are usually the cheapest. There's a decently popular aggro deck for Paladin known as Shockadin that is relatively affordable. Just copy that archetype and make swaps where you need to.

Yeah I think your idea of "relatively affordable" and mine are a lot different. The cheapest one on there costs like 720 dust. I don't have: Divine Favor, Abusive Sergeant, Ironbeak Owl or Knife Juggler, is there anything you could recommend to replace those?

Haunted

What an opener!

Mage challenge, Heroic Pub guy and Heroic Arena were all extremely fun to play.

Heroics done! They were much easier than the Naxx ones IIRC.
I think you just got better. :D

I had to build and then adjust my deck several times for the first two alone and haven't even tried the supposedly hardest one yet.

This is the most fun I've had in Hearthstone for a long time.

edit:

HdhTjdC.jpg
Double Lorewalker Cho on turn 1 = madness ensued. At one point his hand was filled with 9 silences and a power word: shield and I forced him to burn his legendaries. Later we swapped mind control back and forth for 5 turns in a row (good for me because I wanted to stall). Exhilarating.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Two hours on 2nd boss who spawns legendaries on heroic, dreading final one, got it first try :D

Loved these heroics, really good

Tacitus_

Lol a druid just innervated an ooze (and wild growth) against my rogue on turn one. #justrank19things
He also made his ancient 10/5 twice when I sapped them, the second time was when he was at 6 HP.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Not sure whether its intentional but my rag bugged the fuck out of their ai, they kept going for it instead of the better face play, I won the 2nd heroic by continually duplicating rag and replaying it, eventually rag did literally all the face damage over time, they kept doing bad 2 for 1 trades to kill it.

ZealousD

Not sure whether its intentional but my rag bugged the fuck out of their ai, they kept going for it instead of the better face play, I won the 2nd heroic by continually duplicating rag and replaying it, eventually rag did literally all the face damage over time, they kept doing bad 2 for 1 trades to kill it.

The AI is terrible. Always has been.

Mr Cola

The AI is terrible. Always has been.

I noticed they only did this with rag, i played it for near two hours and when face was better they always went face, except for rag, really its the only way I managed to complete it, they could have easily killed me in two turns if they went face but always traded.

Amaz World first was decided by a.i when a fire elemental used its battlecry to trade instead of lethal on face.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I didn't create it, but what's wrong with this deck? I need a Paladin deck for my daily quest today. I have no dust left, so it'd need to be F2P + Naxxramas cards (excluding Heroic because I am not able to do the Heroic bit yet, it needs decks costing thousands of dust), any suggestions?

I play with a variant of that deck. I've mixed in some other cards for a few of them, and yeah you will lose a lot but you'll win some too.

You can limit searches for dust cost and/or cards in the deck. For example you can search for a deck that costs less than 4k dust and doesn't have boom in it.

LOL, 4K dust. I've been playing for months now and have nowhere near 4K dust. To most people that is an insane amount.

Oh. I know everyone says "search on HearthPwn" when I ask for recommendations, but is there one on there that I can afford that sucks less than this?

Not so much. I mean yeah there are other cheap decks, but for people just starting out who don't have all of the cards and lots of dust and gold, you just really have to lose a lot in order to win a little. Starting out late in this game is brutally punishing, unless you only play arena which puts everyone on a equally random playing field. I need to learn to like arena, because playing in constructed gets to be a worse and worse experience with every new infusion of cards.

Yeah I think your idea of "relatively affordable" and mine are a lot different. The cheapest one on there costs like 720 dust. I don't have: Divine Favor, Abusive Sergeant, Ironbeak Owl or Knife Juggler, is there anything you could recommend to replace those?

Yep, welcome to Hearthstone! It's gonna be a rough road for ya laddie!

ZealousD

720 is cheap, if you don't have Owl, Juggler, or Sgt then you need to get them ASAP

Yeah man. If a deck doesn't have any epics or legendaries, it's a budget deck. Even a deck with an epic or two isn't really considered expensive.

If a couple rares puts you over the edge then I'd say you're way too new at the game to start worrying about HearthPwn.

Danj

720 is cheap, if you don't have Owl, Juggler, or Sgt then you need to get them ASAP

Yeah man. If a deck doesn't have any epics or legendaries, it's a budget deck. Even a deck with an epic or two isn't really considered expensive.

If a couple rares puts you over the edge then I'd say you're way too new at the game to start worrying about HearthPwn.

Well okay then, so why do people just tell me "oh go look at Hearthpwn" when I ask for deck recommendations then??

I've watched the Trump Teachings and taken the lessons to heart but the simple fact is that with all these overpowered Naxxramas and now Blackrock Mountain cards out there, the basic decks provided there just aren't up to the job. I bought Naxxramas and got all the cards except the ones from Heroic mode, isn't there some way that helps me, or have I wasted my £17.49?

KePoW

Banned
Well okay then, so why do people just tell me "oh go look at Hearthpwn" when I ask for deck recommendations then??

I've watched the Trump Teachings and taken the lessons to heart but the simple fact is that with all these overpowered Naxxramas and now Blackrock Mountain cards out there, the basic decks provided there just aren't up to the job. I bought Naxxramas and got all the cards except the ones from Heroic mode, isn't there some way that helps me, or have I wasted my £17.49?

What exactly are you looking for? If you cannot spend 720 dust to make one full deck, then we can't help you

You only want deck recommendations with 0 dust??

Dragner

My girlfriend has a basic mage deck with naxx only using duplicate and mad scientist with only pack cards are 2 azure drakes 2 mirror entity and 2 mana wyrms all from basic packs. Fill with frost bolt, fireball, flamestrike, senjin, water elemental, kel thuzad and loatheb. The deck was good enough for rank 16 last season. And she didnt netdeck at all I just help her witb the basic tools she had. Just try to find your spot. To be fair, mage is the better for starters, the basic cards are really good. Paladin ones outside of truesilver and consecration are pretty bad IMO.

Danj

You don't get cards from heroic mode

Oh. I didn't realise that. I guess I can ignore it then, I thought there was something I was missing.

What exactly are you looking for? If you cannot spend 720 dust to make one full deck, then we can't help you

OK, that's fair enough. So who can help me?

Oh wait, this guy:

My girlfriend has a basic mage deck with naxx only using duplicate and mad scientist with only pack cards are 2 azure drakes 2 mirror entity and 2 mana wyrms all from basic packs. Fill with frost bolt, fireball, flamestrike, senjin, water elemental, kel thuzad and loatheb. The deck was good enough for rank 16 last season. And she didnt netdeck at all I just help her witb the basic tools she had. Just try to find your spot. To be fair, mage is the better for starters, the basic cards are really good. Paladin ones outside of truesilver and consecration are pretty bad IMO.

Thank you! And yes I do like playing mage the most, so I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: am I missing something? I put most of that in (I don't have Azure Drake and I only have one Mirror Entity) but that only gives me 19 cards?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The Naxx cards help a lot, but you will not be able to win consistently when starting out. Losing often and losing hard will be your norm as you slowly build up gold and buy card packs. There are only really two ways for newcomers (or just people with poor card collections like me) to work up to a decent constructed deck:

1. Do your dailys or arena every day to earn gold to buy packs, super slowly though
2. Pay lots of cash to buy card packs to "catch up" much faster

Those are your options. Buying the expansions like Naxx and Blackrock help as everyone will have those same cards so it keeps you on somewhat of a more "even" playing field, but the truth is that without a huge basic card pool or a LOT of dust, you just won't be winning many games, and ranked constructed play is going to be devastatingly hard even up in the 16-20 ranks where I'm stuck. It's just the nature of Hearthstone.

On the plus side, which is how I look at it, it gives you a nice goal and challenge to overcome!!! :)

ZealousD

With Hearthstone, you need to spend time and/or money to get a solid card base. Buying Naxx and Blackrock is really just the first step. This is a CCG, you need cards to build good decks. Decks featuring only basic cards generally can't compete. Yeah, I could possibly recommend the best possible deck using only cards you currently have, and maybe you'll get to Rank 15 instead of Rank 18. But your rank really doesn't mean anything. You're far away from getting legend and ranking is mostly meaningless outside that since you aren't rewarded the higher you go up or anything like that.

When you're this new at the game, I generally recommend that you experiment with different cards first. Look at cards you think are good and then try including two of them into your decks. See how well it performs. Do you get favorable card exchanges with it? Do your opponents deal with it too easily? You kind of need that experience to learn why cards like Goldshire Footman or Lord of the Arena are considered bad.

Once you build up a solid enough card base that you can easily play any budget deck listed on HearthPwn, then you can worry about HearthPwn.

Danj, if you have a decent grasp on the basics, learn arena, play arena a lot, and start building up a constructed deck. It'll still take time but it is the best way. Also, if you get good at arena, once you come back to constructed you'll be better at constructed.

Danj

Danj, if you have a decent grasp on the basics, learn arena, play arena a lot, and start building up a constructed deck. It'll still take time but it is the best way. Also, if you get good at arena, once you come back to constructed you'll be better at constructed.

Only problem is, arena costs 150 gold per go, and you can only earn a maximum of 100 gold per day plus what you get from quests.

ZealousD

Blech. Arena is brutal when you're first starting out. Everybody may be on equal footing with cards but you're also way more likely to get matched up with people who are just flat out better than you at the game. Going 0-3 or 1-3 in the arena is the worst and new players will hit that a lot. That really doesn't help you build your card base either since you'll get subpar rewards.

Stay in constructed until you can consistently hit Rank 15 on your own has been my advice.

gutshot

Meh, haven't really been super impressed by Quick Shot in Face Hunter. I mean, it's nice to be able to squeeze out 3 damage and cycle a card but I've yet to be in a scenario where Quick Shot saved a game for me when something like Wolfrider or Bow wouldn't have done the same. I think it is better in mid-range Hunter TBH.

I just rolled the spectator quest, but I don't have anyone added to my friends list. I'll go back through the thread and pick up some IDs. My tag is SuperNothing#1241, so you know I'm not some random salty player looking to berate you.

I honestly hate Kel Thuzad. So many nonsense setups that I just can't anticipate.

Had a Druid down and out, pulls out Thuzad, and there was simply no coming back.

Guess I need to try my best to hold on a silence card, but the fact that he resummons both turns just makes him such a pain to deal with.

I can survive Dr. Boom just fine, but Kel Thuzad leaves you completely vulnerable when someone drops it on their turn, sacrifices his cards to kill off your side, and then gets to resummon them back.

What's the strategy here? Secrets?

CoolOff

Grim Patron is fucking hilarious. It doesn't need to be OTK, as long as you can spawn an extra the turn you play it the card is great value.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So what kind of deck is Thaurissan most OP in? Druid? Paladin?

Danj

Probably a stupid question, is there any way I can get a list of all the cards I own in some automated fashion, rather than having to manually write them all down myself?

I feel like the best starter deck with a bit of dust is probably Paladin mid. Create Musters, Knife Jugglers and Shredders (and at least one owl). I forgot what you get in terms of standard cards now but as long as you start with Stormwind Champ, Frostwolf Warlord and Dark Iron Dwarfs, you should do fine. Of course a Quartermaster is awesome but only if you have enough dust past the essentials.

Got to rank 8 with no quartermasters. Only have first wing of naxx done too as I just got around to starting it.

/e Forgot I did a few games before end of season and got to 8. Thought i stopped at 10

ViviOggi

Yo Resurrect is fucking legit, guaranteed Auchenai/Blademaster against any matchup where you can play it slow

Particularly Druid babbies who already shit their pants upon seeing a 3cc 4/7 cower in fear once the second one comes down

gutshot

Probably a stupid question, is there any way I can get a list of all the cards I own in some automated fashion, rather than having to manually write them all down myself?

Not currently, no. You have to manually enter your collection on Hearthhead or using the collection spreadsheet in the OP. It doesn't take too long though and as long as you stay on top of keeping it updated, you will only have to do it once.

I wish Blizzard would create an API for Hearthstone to allow third-parties more access to player's account info.

Special C

I got Wrecked my a Mage using Grim Patron. As a Priest there wasn't much I could do. Holy Nova can't clear them, and Wild Pyro just makes it worse.

Pooya

EVERYONE GET IN HERE hoho

madness, lmao.

Patron works decent enough in mage, I actually combo it with Baron Geddon too! mad bomber is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom