• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

I think the effect should only last for one turn. All cards in your hand are discounted by one next turn. If you don't play them next turn, they revert back to the original cost, unless Emperor Balanced is still on the field, then the effect will renew, but your cards will still only cost one less. That way, it's still a powerful effect, but it's not totally game breaking.

That's an interesting change, too.

Also, wow, not a single person in Ladder or Casual has played an Emp. against me.

-

Running Faceless Manip. with Emperor is hilarious. So many auto-concedes.

gutshot

I figured that's the case as well..in theory, the decks I've drafted using hearth arena have looked solid (I maybe differ in a handful of cards 2-3 each time) ..No doubt I feel like it's my play, just figuring out where I went wrong is a different story.

Yeah that is usually what I do. One thing I find weird is that I usually end up with like 8 spells max in my draft. Isn't that a bit on the low side?

Here's my heart arena profile- It's abyssmal

http://www.heartharena.com/profile/thermoelectron

I think you just need more experience with the system and with arena in general. I recommend doing arena runs on another server (EU if you are in NA or vice versa) to get more experience without having the pressure of needing to get a certain amount of wins. Doing that really helped me.

I think the effect should only last for one turn. All cards in your hand are discounted by one next turn. If you don't play them next turn, they revert back to the original cost, unless Emperor Balanced is still on the field, then the effect will renew, but your cards will still only cost one less. That way, it's still a powerful effect, but it's not totally game breaking.

im ok if it lasts for one turn but i dont like your idea of the cards revert back to their costs if not used.

FeD.nL

Thaurissian might be strong but face hunter still exists... which will likely forever be worse than any card they can give to midrange/combo/control decks.

Exactly what i'm thinking atm. Last expansion it was Dr. Boom, now Thaurissan and meanwhile we have the noble face hunter to keep the meta from spinning out of control.

Huck Funters

ViviOggi

Huntard shitstain with Rag hitting face into BGH topdick for my lethal Edwin plus Huffer roll just get the fuck out of my face

Outside of paladin innervate-o-dragon and possibly chromaggus what exciting cards do you see making consistent appearance in the meta if tharissan gets nerfed?

Pooya

I feel so dumb, just realized you can actually gang up enemy minions too /facepalm

felt so good though, poor druid conceded right there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think most of us knew Emperor was going to be the best card in the whole pack, but I'd like to wait a month or two before yelling OP. It's going to take a while to get used to the new possibilities and flow of that card, but people will certainly get better at playing against it than they are right now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah that is usually what I do. One thing I find weird is that I usually end up with like 8 spells max in my draft. Isn't that a bit on the low side?

In constructed it would be. But there are many more minions in the game than there are spells. Its a consequence of how the drafting system works. This drives arena strategy to be trade heavy tempo stuff, because board clears are so difficult to obtain. So you have to gain an advantage and keep it.

Magnus

Nothing like getting 2 Sheeps from 2 Resurrects.

facepalm.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think most of us knew Emperor was going to be the best card in the whole pack, but I'd like to wait a month or two before yelling OP. It's going to take a while to get used to the new possibilities and flow of that card, but people will certainly get better at playing against it than they are right now.

I think it's pretty telling that they could have made the effect a battlecry and it would probably still be one of the best cards in the set.

Malice215

I like that EMP is very strong because it gives me a reason to play other classes in this meta and other legendaries who wouldn't see the light of day because of them being too slow and because of BGH.

This is the time people should be experimenting instead of crying for nerfs after one day. Give it a month.

SentryDown

BRM is way too easy, I have beaten the whole thing in less than an hour but it's way better than Naxx (boss design, challenges, ...)

Fixed1979

I like that EMP is very strong because it gives me a reason to play other classes in this meta and other legendaries who wouldn't see the light of day because of them being too slow and because of BGH.

This is the time people should be experimenting instead of crying for nerfs after one day. Give it a month.

I'm with you, less than 24 hours after the first cards hit is a little too early to start calling for changes.

Bizazedo

Emperor Balanced allowed my Control Warrior to beat a Handlock 10 turns after he was played.

I won't bore with nitty details, but the last turn Warlock was Jaraxxus'd, 15 life, with two wounded taunts and two normal minions. My board was empty and had one use left of Fiery Axe.

0 cost Execute, 1 cost Execute, 8 cost Grommash Hellscream, 1 cost Taskmaster, GG.

JesseZao

I HATE "Amaz Slang". When he's casting tournament games, he shouldn't use his insular character shtick.

I know it's "his" tournament, but it's still incredibly obnoxious and confusing for new players.

Heropon

I've had two Priests in a row misplaying against Grim Patron using Holy Nova or other convoluted strategies just to say oops later. I won't complain about that, though, I really like that card right now.

Magnus

The dream - Cabal Priesting an Ysera with Shrinkmeister's help. YES. I could taste the salt in the air steaming off of this Warrior. Hahaha.

Dahbomb

Emperor Balanced allowed my Control Warrior to beat a Handlock 10 turns after he was played.

I won't bore with nitty details, but the last turn Warlock was Jaraxxus'd, 15 life, with two wounded taunts and two normal minions. My board was empty and had one use left of Fiery Axe.

0 cost Execute, 1 cost Execute, 8 cost Grommash Hellscream, 1 cost Taskmaster, GG.
Now you know son...

There are many clutch plays that are produced by the Emperor. A fairly standard play that happened for me yesterday was killing an enemy Rag with BGH at 2 mana and putting down a Ysera in the same turn for 8 mana. It was a huge tempo swing for me that won me the game.

Otherwise I would've had to choose between playing Ysera or BGH as I had no other big minion to follow up BGH.

This is a very common thing that will happen due to Emperor. I have seen more outrageous things happen like Belcher plus Dr Balanced.

Levi

Banned
I pulled a golden Cenarius like a year ago. Dusted it because druids are filthy cheating bastards.

Every midrange and control deck has ramp now, so Druid isn't alone in "cheating". Dragon Paladin with Emperor plus 2x Dragon Consort has crazy ramp. Even if Emperor lasts only turn, that's a three mana discount on any in-hand Dragons if you played a consort at any point earlier in the game, not to mention any Dragon synergy cards you had in hand also get the 1 mana discount from Emperor. I'm really excited to try out Dragon Ramp Paladin and I don't think I'm alone. Will it be a "tier one" deck? We'll have to see what the meta does to counter Dragon decks, and how Dragon decks respond, but I think it might be a very powerful archetype.

Also, combo Druid doesn't seem so special when Emperor unlocks so many more possible one turn combos because he effects every card in hard.. If you have four cards in hand then Emperor is at least equivalent to double-innervate, and he might be better because you don't have to draw them. The advantage of innervate is that you can choose when to use it and you can hold it for a specific situation, and Emperor is dependent on what you've drawn.

Also, Golden Cenarius is arguably the best Golden minion. Dude is holding a shiny, shimmering rainbow, and you get two Golden Treants with taunt. #value

Maybe Sneeds or Jaraxxus would argue with him for the title. Maybe.

bunbun777

Shrinkmiester into shadow madness to steal sylvanus which was just resurrected from kelthezud to kill his KT and steal back my stolen voljin. Well played indeed lol.

ViviOggi

I pulled a golden Cenarius like a year ago. Dusted it because druids are filthy cheating bastards.
highfive.gif

I HATE "Amaz Slang". When he's casting tournament games, he shouldn't use his insular character shtick.

I know it's "his" tournament, but it's still incredibly obnoxious and confusing for new players.
It's especially awkward when the other casters have no idea how to deal with it and the cast devolves into minutes of Amaz explaining his epic memes
cBj1LTf.png

Just fired up PoE but I absolutely have to see the new ridiculousness in a tournament setting

Bizazedo

Had a weird bug in that Warlock vs Control Warrior game, though. Jaraxxus replaced Gul'dan, took damage, and Watcher didn't get the +2/+2.

Didn't change the game as I won when it was my next turn, but it did perk an eyebrow.

Tacitus_

Every midrange and control deck has ramp now, so Druid isn't alone in "cheating". Dragon Paladin with Emperor plus 2x Dragon Consort has crazy ramp. Even if Emperor lasts only turn, that's a three mana discount on any in-hand Dragons if you played a consort at any point earlier in the game, not to mention any Dragon synergy cards you had in hand also get the 1 mana discount from Emperor. I'm really excited to try out Dragon Ramp Paladin and I don't think I'm alone. Will it be a "tier one" deck? We'll have to see what the meta does to counter Dragon decks, and how Dragon decks respond, but I think it might be a very powerful archetype.

Also, combo Druid doesn't seem so special when Emperor unlocks so many more possible one turn combos because he effects every card in hard.. If you have four cards in hand then Emperor is at least equivalent to double-innervate, and he might be better because you don't have to draw them. The advantage of innervate is that you can choose when to use it and you can hold it for a specific situation, and Emperor is dependent on what you've drawn.

Also, Golden Cenarius is arguably the best Golden minion. Dude is holding a shiny, shimmering rainbow, and you get two Golden Treants with taunt. #value

Maybe Sneeds or Jaraxxus would argue with him for the title. Maybe.

None of that compares to double innervate nonsense. The 2nd reason I don't like druids is the combo, as it smells too much like the old leeroy miracle. At least they don't have sap.

Jrmint

I just don't like listening to him at all period. I find him very annoying.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't wait for that paladin discount dragon + emperor. Prepare for 0 mana azure drake and ysera combo plays.

Hektor

(̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄ Hey People, im McSkill, TOPDICK McSkill. (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

€: Jesu Desu, how does a Rogue get to 6 wins in the Arena with 2 target dummys?

Malice215

I'm with you, less than 24 hours after the first cards hit is a little too early to start calling for changes.

I wouldn't want to see something nerfed unless it became very overwhelming, but EMP does highlight the bigger issue where so many cards never get played because they suck, are too slow in this meta, or their worth is dependent on their ability to be targeted by BGH. And with GvG making the game more aggressive, you need to play more high value cards which makes Dr. Boom an auto-include because of how much value you get from the card even with BGH.

What Blizzard is doing is deliberate which is why EMP is so strong and is the first legendary being offered, and it opens the door for lots of ridiculousness to take place. I'm more excited to see what I can come up with using that card versus playing crap like face hunter, so I'll wait to see how things look after a month.

Gotchaye

Yeah, I can see Emperor getting played in every non-aggro deck, but I'm not sure Blizzard actually thinks it's a problem for one card to be ubiquitous when the function of that card is to make lots of kinds of decks playable. Dr. Boom is problematic because it's just an auto-include in otherwise-viable decks - like, you could remove the card from the game and the meta would plausibly be pretty similar (except there'd be fewer BGHs). Emperor creates a big shift towards slower decks that have lots of cards in hand or which have combos that would be great except they cost 11 mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom