• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Let the Thaurissan combo begin... a druid just force of nature + savage roar x2 me in the face with 9 mana. Zero innervates used.

fuck me.

Amaz just had an amazing match playing Malygos Shaman.

Gets 0 mana Crackles and Lightning Bolts and a 1 mana Lava Burst from Emperor Balanced.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_04_03_15_11_11_29.png

Totally balanced card that gave me only about 10 extra mana to use over two turns.
Not that I even needed the mana

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just crafted 2x Golden Belcher. Totally worth it.

Minsc

Gold Member
51 damage from hand, still can't kill control warrior.

Everytime I played control warrior, I get matched to a Druid that drops both or at least 1 shade, which you really have no answer to, not to mention Shredder and innervating out Boom, who if you weren't blessed to draw a removal or BGH, is a death sentence enough on turn 4, let alone the looming Shade with the FoN+Roar combo buffing the rest of the board to over 30 damage.

I think control warrior has no hope vs druid in general, and literally no hope if they get their shades down early.

Also control warrior tends to lose very often to face hunter and general rush decks, they just can't keep up vs a good Zoo draw/start. I now avoid playing control warrior nearly entirely, the deck is just too inconsistent for me, and the matches take forever.

Danj

Not currently, no. You have to manually enter your collection on Hearthhead or using the collection spreadsheet in the OP. It doesn't take too long though and as long as you stay on top of keeping it updated, you will only have to do it once.

I wish Blizzard would create an API for Hearthstone to allow third-parties more access to player's account info.

Ah cool, thanks. *loads up Excel*

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I crafted a Golden Piloted Shredder and that was it. I feel like you have to put a lot of money in the game to craft gold cards. I already had one and its such a cool card to have golden.

ShinNL

Everytime I played control warrior, I get matched to a Druid that drops both or at least 1 shade, which you really have no answer to, not to mention Shredder and innervating out Boom, who if you weren't blessed to draw a removal or BGH, is a death sentence enough on turn 4, let alone the looming Shade with the FoN+Roar combo buffing the rest of the board to over 30 damage.

I think control warrior has no hope vs druid in general, and literally no hope if they get their shades down early.

Also control warrior tends to lose very often to face hunter and general rush decks, they just can't keep up vs a good Zoo draw/start. I now avoid playing control warrior nearly entirely, the deck is just too inconsistent for me, and the matches take forever.
Strange, I have a great matchup against everything you mentioned. My win condition are value Legendaries like Sneed's, Sylvanas and Ysera, not the bursty kind (so no Ragnaros, Grommash and Alexstrasza). The rest of the deck is filled with all sorts of heal (including 2 healbots) and somewhat greedy in removal:
I mostly use AoE to clear things, so I have Cleave, Explosive Sheep (3 dmg AoE with your 4/2 weapon) and double Brawl.

Double Senjin and double Belcher does wonders combined with all the above.

I skip the early game, no Armorsmith, Cruel Taskmaster or Acolyte of Pain.

Levi

Banned

I think CW is favored against face hunter unless you get an awful draw--but face hunter punishes any opponent that doesn't draw well. Armor can keep you alive to mid/late game when you can start dropping threats that face hunter just can't deal with. Once you have a board developed it's GG face hunter.

Edit: Checked my stats and with Control Warrior I have a losing record against Paladin, Druid, and Warlock, and a winning record against everything else. However, that's only two weeks I've been tracking so it's a pretty small sample, with just 37 games played.

Sorry for the double post.

ZealousD

I think CW is favored against face hunter unless you get an awful draw--but face hunter punishes any opponent that doesn't draw well. Armor can keep you alive to mid/late game when you can start dropping threats that face hunter just can't deal with. Once you have a board developed it's GG face hunter.

Yeah CW can deal with face. Armorsmith is pretty powerful there. Its midrange hunter where warrior struggles.

A faster Priest deck really wrecks Face Hunter, though. Too bad the matchup is bad elsewhere.

After winning 6 games in one arena run, my last two have been 1 win each. I really though I turned the corner but boy it sure is frustrating to win your first arena match each time then lose 3 straight.

Couple of questions
Who should I watch for arena tips?
How solid is Heartharena's drafting program? I've been using it as a suggestion on general card values and deviating when I feel like there's better card synergy with another option.

ZealousD

After winning 6 games in one arena run, my last two have been 1 win each. I really though I turned the corner but boy it sure is frustrating to win your first arena match each time then lose 3 straight.

Couple of questions
How solid is Heartharena's drafting program? I've been using it as a suggestion on general card values and deviating when I feel like there's better card synergy with another option.

Tempo is generally better than synergy. HearthArena is about 85-90% there for understanding synergies so don't value synergy too highly. Don't pick a bad card just because it synergizes.

I generally try to get 5-6 of on curve 2, 3, and 4 drops. Don't pick a bad card just because you need tempo either, though. Just keep stuff like this in mind when making tough decisions.

Joco

Crazy, after Thaurissan everyone has stopped talking about Dr. Boom needing a nerf to Thaurissan needing one. Which is the right thing to do, IMO. Card breaks the game.

gutshot

Couple of questions

I recommend watching Guardsman Bob, Ratsmah, Hafu and/or Kripp (if you can stand the salt).

HearthArena is pretty good, in my experience. I follow it almost to the letter and am averaging close to 6 wins per run. Obviously, playing the games correctly is a huge part of it but I feel like the decks they draft are just really solid decks without holes, which is really what you want in arena.

I'm getting rocked today as a Priest. Resurrect isn't working out as well as I'd hoped, unless I can guaranteed resurrect a Blademaster.

WTB great deck ideas for Priest guyz

What are you mostly facing? If face decks, maybe go full taunt package with death lords, taz'dingo, and belchers.

I was trying out Resurrect in casual where I basically didn't play minions below 3 mana and ran nothing but removal early game. Needs some more testing though.

Levi

Banned
Crazy, after Thaurissan everyone has stopped talking about Dr. Boom needing a nerf to Thaurissan needing one. Which is the right thing to do, IMO. Card breaks the game.

Played a mage that played all the 1 and 2 drops that draw cards. Had a pretty full hand when she dropped Emperor Balanced. I had a full board because of the Mage's weak early game, so killed it right away, but the damage was done. Next turn Frost Nova/Doomsayer which I couldn't deal with. Had two consecrations, but no weapons or equalities. Lost my whole board. Next turn Alexed my face take half my health. Forced to lay on hands as I had nothing to deal with the Alex body. Next turn Antonidas arcane intellect.. After that I knew I was toast. Finished me off with a 2 mana Frostbolt, 0 mana Ice Lance, and two fireballs, lethal without even using board damage.

The best fucking part is facing two consecutive face hunters right after.

Xanathus

A real healthy mix of all classes and deck types actually, EXCEPT hunter face decks….go figure. lol. Stuck at Rank 20 like a chump.

At the low ranks you should play a deck that has a standard game plan and is good all-around, and optimize your deck towards that plan. The mistake would be playing decks that have very good + bad matchups since you're facing all sorts of players at that rank, and also weakening your deck by putting in tech cards like Kezan Mystic.

ViviOggi

Like I said earlier, if you want value out of Resurrect make sure it gets an Auchenai or Blademaster. Since you're not facing Face Huntards atm all you need to do is hold onto your Clerics early on. In most matchups turn 1 Cleric doesn't do much anyway.

Xanathus

Like I said earlier, if you want value out of Resurrect make sure it gets an Auchenai or Blademaster. Since you're not facing Face Huntards atm all you need to do is hold onto your Clerics early on. In most matchups turn 1 Cleric doesn't do much anyway.

Resurrect is basically value if it gets anything above 2 mana. The one iffy case is if you get Pyromancer because it triggers the effect as well, which may or may not be good. I think if you put in Resurrect in your deck, you will cut out combo card minions like Recombulator and possibly Shrinkmeister. Resurrect would be great too if there were minions with negative effects when you play them from hand that Priests can play, but I can't think of any other than Injured Blademaster at the moment.

I recommend watching Guardsman Bob, Ratsmah, Hafu and/or Kripp (if you can stand the salt).

HearthArena is pretty good, in my experience. I follow it almost to the letter and am averaging close to 6 wins per run. Obviously, playing the games correctly is a huge part of it but I feel like the decks they draft are just really solid decks without holes, which is really what you want in arena.

I figured that's the case as well..in theory, the decks I've drafted using hearth arena have looked solid (I maybe differ in a handful of cards 2-3 each time) ..No doubt I feel like it's my play, just figuring out where I went wrong is a different story.

Tempo is generally better than synergy. HearthArena is about 85-90% there for understanding synergies so don't value synergy too highly. Don't pick a bad card just because it synergizes.

I generally try to get 5-6 of on curve 2, 3, and 4 drops. Don't pick a bad card just because you need tempo either, though. Just keep stuff like this in mind when making tough decisions.

Yeah that is usually what I do. One thing I find weird is that I usually end up with like 8 spells max in my draft. Isn't that a bit on the low side?

Here's my heart arena profile- It's abyssmal

http://www.heartharena.com/profile/thermoelectron

Magnus

At the low ranks you should play a deck that has a standard game plan and is good all-around, and optimize your deck towards that plan. The mistake would be playing decks that have very good + bad matchups since you're facing all sorts of players at that rank, and also weakening your deck by putting in tech cards like Kezan Mystic.

Gotcha. I actually had a tech card in there that wasn't doing me any good, so I wiped it. Thanks.

Also, I've noticed a predictable pattern so far: every game where I actually play Emperor Balanced, I win.

This shit needs nerfing. I wonder if an appropriate nerf would be something like, "must sacrifice one friendly minion" for Thaurissan to even come out. Would thematically tie in with the idea of the Emp. sacrificing allies to gain the power of Rag.

Tacitus_

If it gets nerfed, I would bet on it getting a similar nerf like Pagle got and have it apply the effect at the start of your turn so if your enemy removes it instantly, you get zero value from it.

Magnus

If it gets nerfed, I would bet on it getting a similar nerf like Pagle got and have it apply the effect at the start of your turn so if your enemy removes it instantly, you get zero value from it.

Pagle used to be end of turn? lmao

And yeah, that sounds like the perfect nerf for him, actually.

Raxus

That is what I assume will happen.

We have seen Blizzard isn't against nerfing a card to uselessness. However, like Nat I am sure this will take ages too.

Lumine

Ha, I just resurrected my Thaurissan in a game. >:)

Well that and a Dark Cultist which were also the only friendly minions that had died at that point in the game. Was against a Paladin which my Priest usually doesn't do so great against, but it did now.

edit: I wonder if I have to take the shredders out of my priest deck because of resurrect. We'll see.

Resurrect is basically value if it gets anything above 2 mana. The one iffy case is if you get Pyromancer because it triggers the effect as well, which may or may not be good. I think if you put in Resurrect in your deck, you will cut out combo card minions like Recombulator and possibly Shrinkmeister. Resurrect would be great too if there were minions with negative effects when you play them from hand that Priests can play, but I can't think of any other than Injured Blademaster at the moment.

I haven't been able to get Resurrect to work out, so far. It always pulls up the worst minion unless I was able to only play one minion to specifically be resurrected. I even got screwed once when it pulled a Pyromancer that triggered knocked my Piloted Shredder that was buffed by Velen's Chosen into the other Priest's Hola Nova range. As for minions with negative deathrattles, Hungry Dragon could be a good Resurrect target when it gets released.

Desaan

Emperor Thaurissan should be a battlecry, not every single turn. 6 mana card that basically breaks the game.

Beta test has started boyz.

Couple of questions

The biggest flaw in Heartharena's suggestions is that it tries to draft for archetypes too early, when I think it should really only be a consideration in the latter half of picks. I've gotten a lot more mileage out of the program by making sure I play the way the system "expects" me to play the deck, since my natural instinct is to play for control even though my deck might not be drafted for it.

In general I think it drafts about as well as it needs to, and I feel like most of the differences between my 3-win runs vs my 7-win runs can be attributed to my in-game choices rather than drafting decisions.

Xanathus

I haven't been able to get Resurrect to work out, so far. It always pulls up the worst minion unless I was able to only play one minion to specifically be resurrected. I even got screwed once when it pulled a Pyromancer that triggered knocked my Piloted Shredder that was buffed by Velen's Chosen into the other Priest's Hola Nova range. As for minions with negative deathrattles, Hungry Dragon could be a good Resurrect target when it gets released.

I doubt Hungry Dragon would get played in Priest because Priest doesn't have a hero power or easy way that can deal 1 damage in order to immediately take out the 1 mana minion that's spawned. They also don't have good Dragon-synergy class cards to take advantage of it being a Dragon. The only classes I imagine will play Hungry Dragon are Rogue, Paladin and possibly Mage. It's just not as good as Piloted Shredder if you don't have a way to mitigate the drawback.

Emperor Thaurissan should be a battlecry, not every single turn. 6 mana card that basically breaks the game.

Beta test has started boyz.

I think the effect should only last for one turn. All cards in your hand are discounted by one next turn. If you don't play them next turn, they revert back to the original cost, unless Emperor Balanced is still on the field, then the effect will renew, but your cards will still only cost one less. That way, it's still a powerful effect, but it's not totally game breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom