• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zalae vs. RDU, they both got Emperor out, but Zalae managed to get his to stick for two turns over RDU's one. The mana costs were so crazy with that game. Zalae had a 3 mana Loatheb and 4 mana Sylvanas while RDU had the 7 mana combo with a normal Savage Roar on top. Zalae was only saved by the heroic 4 mana Sludge Belcher.

Dahbomb

Zalae vs. RDU, they both got Emperor out, but Zalae managed to get his to stick for two turns over RDU's one. The mana costs were so crazy with that game. Zalae had a 3 mana Loatheb and 4 mana Sylvanas while RDU had the 7 mana combo with a normal Savage Roar on top. Zalae was only saved by the heroic 4 mana Sludge Belcher.
It was like watching a bizarro version of Hearthstone where everything just costed less.

Right now at this tournament... pretty much everyone is running an Emperor with their decks left largely unchanged. If that is not the definition of "staple" then I don't know what is.

Yeah it was pretty crazy at the end there. Sludge belcher saved his ass. I remember before belcher when druid were really dominant for a while. Along with miracle rogue.

Also the casters are right, it is much harder to find the optimal play as your choices increase and with thaurissian they go through the roof. I often rope out when using him. He should be nicknamed Emperor Rope.

edit:
Nozdormu hard counter to him? lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I made up my own game in the Mage challenge where you try to survive the deck of legends and win via fatigue without attacking face. Obviously helped out by Cho milling and Pagle fishing for double burn, but needless to say shit got weird.

bZyqCAy.png

He ended up pulling Antonidas from a portal and getting fireballs from using the ones I filled his hand with.

FPdBtLu.png

I got ol' Gazzy(and had a Houndmaster) which hardcounters his hero power.

So, naturally, what does he get from a portal?

3nM3ySa.png

Fucking hell. Game was hilarious and actually took a few tries to win like this. Sylvannas, Deathwing, and Shredder are the main threats.

What would you guys say are the best cards to craft for a new player that can fit into as many decks as possible? Azure Drakes, Knife Jugglers, Piloted Shredders?

Levi

Banned

So, I decided to try and make a miracle Druid. The idea is to get tons of early draw so you can drop Emperor Balanced between turns 4 and 6, and have plenty of cards in hand to get absolute max value. First time I tried it I had combo in hand, innervate, and Emperor on Turn 4 so I was able to innervate him out and get a 7 mana FoN/SR, plus discounts on wild growth and swipe. Because of all the draw, by turn 10 I had FoN/SR/SR/Innervate/Hero Power for 10 mana and 23 damage. If you fuck up, you can Tree of Life to reset and then Alex your opponent putting them at 15 which is exact lethal for FoN/SR/Innervate/Hero Power without any mana discounts.

It's not optimized at all, and I'm sure aggro would destroy it, but it was fun to make and I won the game I tested it in.

What would you guys say are the best cards to craft for a new player that can fit into as many decks as possible? Azure Drakes, Knife Jugglers, Piloted Shredders?

Piloted Shredder is really strong. Azure Drake/Knife Juggler are good cards but not auto-includes in every deck. I'd go look at budget decks on Hearthhead and see what interests you, and craft accordingly. Don't craft commons, you'll be getting so many of those in packs (even if you only get a pack every couple days from doing dailies) that it's wasted dust because you'll eventually pull them all.

Dahbomb

So everyone is going to have to save a removal or silence to deal with Emperor now
In the super late game Emperor will not really matter as much (less cards in hand and games will be decided by a few points of face damage, Emperor would be too slow to build the board).. it's really in the mid game where he is devastating and at that stage you should have a removal in hand anyway.

But he's PREMIUM removal tier at the moment. You cannot have him stay alive no matter what.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying to treat the opponent's Emperor Thaurissan like a powerless 5/5 as a matter of research.

Results have been mixed. I'm thinking 4 cards or below and it's probably fine to not remove him any faster than any other 5/5, unless you're worried it'd set up a big board clear + board develop combo like a flamestrike + minions, or a super deadly kill move, like the force savage combo + silence.

5 cards or more and you probably need to remove him right away no matter the deck.

I've also been using him in the standard midrange paladin deck, and find most of the time my hand is full of answer cards where mana doesn't really matter that much. It's extremely rare to have a turn where I play more cards than I otherwise could. I was able to get one Boom Belcher combo in which made me win a game where i only had a slight lead.

I think as things get figured out, he'll become a lot more specialized in certain decks, and left out of a lot more decks than Boom is, but those specialized decks might end up being really good.

Danj

I'm Danj#2393 if anyone wants to add me. I'm a (relative) noob though so I imagine you guys would flatten me with your fancy BRM cards.

johnsmith

remember me
Idiot freeze mages need to learn to instantly concede vs control warriors. You aren't beating me bro, not even with emperor whatever.

johnsmith

remember me
Stupid question, how do you tell what sort of deck your opponent is playing?

Based on the cards they play you can tell what style of deck they are and how they aim to win. For example Freeze mages will only play mad scientists and card draw minions and freeze effect aoes to draw into their direct damage spells and alexstraza, and to survive by freezing your board and play defensive secrets, while Mech Mages will play lots of mechs.

Face hunters will play stuff like leper gnomes, wolf riders, and arcane golems that guarantee face damage, while midrange will play webspinners, houndmasters, and savannah highmanes that give more value and contest the board.

There will also be lots of core cards that are just too good and are included in almost every build, but there's usually enough unique cards that give you clues as to what kind of deck you're playing against.

ViviOggi

Past rank 15 or so you can usually tell your opponent's deck within the first 3 turns. There'll be some cards that catch you off guard till you hit the higher single digit ranks and expansions shake things up a bit but with experience identifying decks becomes pretty simple.

Idiot freeze mages need to learn to instantly concede vs control warriors. You aren't beating me bro, not even with emperor whatever.
Firebad almost threw vs Savjz's Freeze Mage yesterday though, people want to believe

Danj

Another question, what happens when you open a pack that has a card that you already own 2 of? Does it get destroyed or turned into dust, or does something else happen?

Another question, what happens when you open a pack that has a card that you already own 2 of? Does it get destroyed or turned into dust, or does something else happen?

You can have more than two copies in your collection, but you can only put two in a deck. You can disenchant them at your leisure, or there's a button in the crafting menu that disenchants all extraneous cards.

IceMarker

You can keep it, but is has no use other than to dust it. Some players keep extras of hot-topic cards in case a card gets changed that warrants Blizzard giving full dust value for it for a limited time. (i.e. Unleash The Hounds, Leeroy Jenkins, Dr. Boom, etc.)

ViviOggi

You can own unlimited copies of any card except for non-golden adventure cards which aren't obtainable from packs or crafting.

TP17

Completing the first wing of Blackrock Mountain has motivated me to go back and finally do the last couple of heroic naxx bosses I never got around to.

For those complaining about the Emperor, just enjoy the meta shift and embrace the opportunity to be more creative in deckbuilding.
You have 29 card slots to play with :p

Xanathus

Completing the first wing of Blackrock Mountain has motivated me to go back and finally do the last couple of heroic naxx bosses I never got around to.

For those complaining about the Emperor, just enjoy the meta shift and embrace the opportunity to be more creative in deckbuilding.
You have 29 card slots to play with :p
28. Dr Boom.

Heropon

At last I feel like I have a really decent deck after beating my first golden opponent. He was some kind of shockadin with Tirion, so I'm even more proud.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I just think that the card's value is greatly diminished in decks that end up usually only playing one card per turn like Control Warrior or Ramp Druid, and gets exponentially better in decks that have tools to both quickly draw and spend cards like miracle, combo druid, handlock, zoo, or midrange hunter. Basically getting stuff one turn earlier isn't fantastic, especially if you're already behind. He's still very good, better than some general-use legendaries like Loatheb, but I don't think he has as much universal utility as Boom. He doesn't outclass the other 5-6 mana cards for me as much as Boom outclasses the other 7+ mana cards, but I need more time to see what he can do in actual play.

We'll see, though. I'm sure he has some wild applications that none of us are savvy enough to think of, and I'll definitely focus on getting him to work since he's the most interesting card in the set.

Not really. It's a world destroyer in ramp. I'm slaying with it.

Xanathus

Just counter it with Face Hunter

It really seems that all of the "OP" decks that are going to be introduced with BRM are easily countered with Face Hunter. Dragon Paladin is probably not going to run Sludge Belchers because of Dragon Consort, and the next best taunt minion is Taz'dingo but it's 4 mana which is taken up by Truesilvers and Consecrates.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It really seems that all of the "OP" decks that are going to be introduced with BRM are easily countered with Face Hunter. Dragon Paladin is probably not going to run Sludge Belchers because of Dragon Consort, and the next best taunt minion is Taz'dingo but it's 4 mana which is taken up by Truesilvers and Consecrates.

Consecrate isn't necessarily an on-curve play. I don't think those two cards alone lock up the 4 slot. More likely that it's the Twilight Drakes or Hungry Drakes that lock it up.

Xanathus

Consecrate isn't necessarily an on-curve play. I don't think those two cards alone lock up the 4 slot. More likely that it's the Twilight Drakes or Hungry Drakes that lock it up.

Looking at my midrange Pally list, there's also 2 Piloted Shredders which will probably be replaced with Hungry Dragons and 1 Defender of Argus. Actually it looks like I'll have to remove quite a number of tech cards in order to fit in the Dragons and Dragon synergy cards. I might even have to replace Tirion for a Ysera or Chronmaggus in order to have a dragon to hold...

I'm starting to think Dragon Paladin isn't that great.

FeD.nL

Is every deck running some kind of combo now? Earlier today I got killed by a priest putting down a 6 mana Velen + 2x mind blast

Jrmint

My favorite deck archetype, ramp Druid does not seem to be in a good place at the moment. Just about everyone is playing extremely aggressive decks on ladder and if you don't draw perfectly as Druid you can get run over pretty quickly. I went back to 2 belchers instead of azure drakes.

Also how is midrange Hunter at the moment? I know there's lots of face hunter but not as much midrange. I started messing around with it today and took out 1 belcher and Loatheb for 1 quick shot and Emperor. Not sure if that's correct though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I see 2 options here:
1) Nerf the Emperor so his abilities activates at the start of your turn (Given the opponent a turn to clear it)
2) This is the game we'll play from now on.

ViviOggi

I see 2 options here:
1) Nerf the Emperor so his abilities activates at the start of your turn (Given the opponent a turn to clear it)
2) This is the game we'll play from now on.
It'll be 2) unless tournament holders start banning him en masse like that did with Pagle/Tink

He enables both innovative strategies and utter stupidity, it remains to be seen which one becomes more prevalent which is why we should wait with the cries for nerfs

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Looking at my midrange Pally list, there's also 2 Piloted Shredders which will probably be replaced with Hungry Dragons and 1 Defender of Argus. Actually it looks like I'll have to remove quite a number of tech cards in order to fit in the Dragons and Dragon synergy cards. I might even have to replace Tirion for a Ysera or Chronmaggus in order to have a dragon to hold...

I'm starting to think Dragon Paladin isn't that great.

Here's my current list.

bHCIgz5.jpg

Not show: Onyxia and Nefarian.

I agree that it's probably a little weak against Face Hunter. But i see a lot of strength against mid-range decks and other control decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom