• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It'll be 2) unless tournament holders start banning him en masse like that did with Pagle/Tink

He enables both innovative strategies and utter stupidity, it remains to be seen which one becomes more prevalent which is why we should wait with the cries for nerfs
For real, this card gonna change the meta for sure.

manhack

I see 2 options here:
1) Nerf the Emperor so his abilities activates at the start of your turn (Given the opponent a turn to clear it)
2) This is the game we'll play from now on.

I've never seen people rage quit quicker than when you drop Thaurissan and he total bullshit when a Druid drops him on turn 1-3 with 2-3 cards in hand and you have no answer.

Playing priest right now and actively mulliganing for Shadow Word: Death...lol

KePoW

Banned
I've never seen people rage quit quicker than when you drop Thaurissan and he total bullshit when a Druid drops him on turn 1-3 with 2-3 cards in hand and you have no answer.

Playing priest right now and actively mulliganing for Shadow Word: Death...lol

Doesn't Fireball work against it too?

Danj

Another turn 5 victory, feels good man:

XfB9D8C.jpg

Xanathus

Here's my current list.

Not show: Onyxia and Nefarian.

I agree that it's probably a little weak against Face Hunter. But i see a lot of strength against mid-range decks and other control decks.

Not sure why you're running Twilight over Hungry Dragon. Here's my tentative list though I need to figure out how to fit in Ysera.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...36:2;14437:2;14447:2;14450:2;14452:2;14454:1;

The major problem is that there's only a single Defender of Argus and Coghammer for taunt and no Belchers which is why it's so bad vs Face Hunter and Combo Druid.

edit: And... I'm missing Dr Boom as well. Probably swap Harrison or 1 Volcanic Drake for that.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I see 2 options here:
1) Nerf the Emperor so his abilities activates at the start of your turn (Given the opponent a turn to clear it)

He's an amazingly fun and awesome card, also might make some of those less prevalent 9 mana legendaries more playable which is always a + imo.

If they do have to nerf him, hope it's just the stats route, making him into a 5/4 or 4/4 or something along those lines. But it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too early for any changes anyway. I still remember when people in this thread were talking about how baron and KT needed to be nerfed immediately rofl.

Majine

Banned
Why do your own secrets show up as a "?" icon? Wouldn't it be more helpful for tournaments to see what each players secrets are?

My favorite deck archetype, ramp Druid does not seem to be in a good place at the moment. Just about everyone is playing extremely aggressive decks on ladder and if you don't draw perfectly as Druid you can get run over pretty quickly. I went back to 2 belchers instead of azure drakes.

Also how is midrange Hunter at the moment? I know there's lots of face hunter but not as much midrange. I started messing around with it today and took out 1 belcher and Loatheb for 1 quick shot and Emperor. Not sure if that's correct though.

I made a midrange Hunter to clear daily quests a week or two ago and I've found it quite successful. Got from Rank 18 to Rank 8 last season with barely any issue just using it from time to time. I'll post my decklist when I'm back home later today.

Danj

Wow that was some full on bullshit. Was about to kill a warrior next turn when he a) played a bunch of minions with enrage (thanks to Emperor Balanced last turn) b) did a thing which made it so they couldn't go below 1 health and c) did some crazy Bouncing Blade thing which pinged all over the place and put his minions up to like 20 attack each or something.

ViviOggi

My favorite deck archetype, ramp Druid does not seem to be in a good place at the moment. Just about everyone is playing extremely aggressive decks on ladder and if you don't draw perfectly as Druid you can get run over pretty quickly. I went back to 2 belchers instead of azure drakes.

Also how is midrange Hunter at the moment? I know there's lots of face hunter but not as much midrange. I started messing around with it today and took out 1 belcher and Loatheb for 1 quick shot and Emperor. Not sure if that's correct though.
Idk dude Druid is (as always tbqh) in a pretty damn good spot except for Face Hunter and even against them they have it far better than most other midrange/control options

Maybe the meta is different in NA or something and Mech Mage is still running rampant, then again you can make that matchup a coin flip with just one or two tech choices

Heropon

Priest thoughtsteals 2 healbots and 2 iceblocks

just die already pls

Thoughtsteal can be so frustrating but it can also be very fun when they steal useless things. A priest stole from me the only Shield Slam that I had twice, I'm sure he wasn't amused by that.

zoukka

Emperor balanced is such bad card design. Cards like Loatheb, Dr. Boom and Emperor are just the pay2win aspect of HS. I wonder how many more broken legendaries they can print until decks run out of free space.

Jrmint

Idk dude Druid is (as always tbqh) in a pretty damn good spot except for Face Hunter and even against them they have it far better than most other midrange/control options

Maybe the meta is different in NA or something and Mech Mage is still running rampant, then again you can make that matchup a coin flip with just one or two tech choices
Which tech choices would you recommend? I already swapped to belchers. You think maybe 1 belcher 1 healbot?

JSR_Cube

Emperor balanced is such bad card design. Cards like Loatheb, Dr. Boom and Emperor are just the pay2win aspect of HS. I wonder how many more broken legendaries they can print until decks run out of free space.

It's awful design and it's obviously going to be nerfed. What's even crazy about it is that I put him down and even before my opponent can do anything to him I get his card cost reduction benefit.

Danj

It's awful design and it's obviously going to be nerfed. What's even crazy about it is that I put him down and even before my opponent can do anything to him I get his card cost reduction benefit.

Really? Shouldn't it be start of turn at least, so there's a chance for the enemy to fireball/sheep/whatever it?

ViviOggi

Which tech choices would you recommend? I already swapped to belchers. You think maybe 1 belcher 1 healbot?

I'd always run two Belchers no matter what, they're good against everything and their sticky nature sets up combos much better than a Drake.
Against Hunter a Healbot is indeed great, for Mech Mage you'd want an MC Tech and Kezan is strong against both. Just depends on what you're facing the most. I've also seen many Druids run Zombie Sjows lately, kind of tough to fit those in as well but they can do a lot of work. Another slightly uncommon option is 1x Taz'dingo as it can draw silence/removal early, leaving your turn 5 Claw/Belcher unanswered.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I see 2 options here:

3) Rend Blackhand saves the day!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Not sure why you're running Twilight over Hungry Dragon.

I think Hungry Dragon is a tremendously overrated card. I don't think dealing with the 1 mana minion is worth the extra +1/+1.

Basically, for your free +1/+1 stats to be worth it, you have to spend a a tiny fraction of a card on whatever pops out. Like a couple hp from a minion or something. If that 2hp comes from the Hungry Dragon than you basically played a Lost Tallstrider. Even if you spend a hero power on it you just spent 6 mana for a 5/6, which is abysmal. So unless you have another minion on the board that can easily trade it's not worth it.

Think about what you would actually want to do in this game to get a 0 mana banana. And on the same subject, compare the card to King Mukla, which has even BETTER stats for its cost, and your opponent has to spend 2 mana to get the benefit. Hungry Dragon has slightly worse stats for the cost and your opponent pays nothing. And yet nobody runs Mukla.

Dahbomb

I think Hungry Dragon is a tremendously overrated card. I don't think dealing with the 1 mana minion is worth the extra +1/+1.

Basically, for your free +1/+1 stats to be worth it, you have to spend a a tiny fraction of a card on whatever pops out. Like a couple hp from a minion or something. If that 2hp comes from the Hungry Dragon than you basically played a Lost Tallstrider. Even if you spend a hero power on it you just spent 6 mana for a 5/6, which is abysmal. So unless you have another minion on the board that can easily trade it's not worth it.

Think about what you would actually want to do in this game to get a 0 mana banana. And on the same subject, compare the card to King Mukla, which has even BETTER stats for its cost, and your opponent has to spend 2 mana to get the benefit. Hungry Dragon has slightly worse stats for the cost and your opponent pays nothing. And yet nobody runs Mukla.
People run Mukla in mill decks at least.

Aylinato

I'm at 285 wins for my warlock. I mostly play handlock, don't have cards for demonlock.

Also why are all of you guys says nerf thausian when face hunter exists

I don't care if Emperor is imbalanced, because that shit is hilarious

Maybe make him a 5/4 so he can be more easily removed, but otherwise let the combos continue

Aylinato

The gimmicky ones that never win.

And I was also making the point that I think Mukla is actually the better card in most situations.

My rogue mill deck caused the opponent to take 17 damage from fatigue in one turn

Also had a priest concede at 30 health when I summoned rag

Dahbomb

The gimmicky ones that never win.

And I was also making the point that I think Mukla is actually the better card in most situations.
Bruh Mill Rogue is totally legit now.

I do agree with what you are saying in that Mukla is better than Hungry Dragon. Hungry Dragon just curves better with Darkwing Technician into Hungry Dragon. Also Hungry Dragon has MCT potential or being revived in Priest decks.

In addition in a Priest deck if Hungry Dragon has to attack a 2/1, Priest can heal that up as well. So if Priest dragon becomes a think, it's more likely to run Hungry Dragon.

From what I've read, EMP T is simultaneously the best and worst card in the game right now. I think the greatest grievance is that no one appreciates the He-Man reference!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Thing is, Mukla gives the opponent control over that +1/+1, which almost guarantees he'll find a spot where he can use it to save a minion on a much more efficient trade. Even if you don't have a way to deal with it same turn, it's on a timer to be used before you kill it first.

Paladin also is pretty good at early control with muster, zombie chow, knife juggler, and shielded minibot letting you be pretty sure you're going to have the ability to kill it. The 4 durability of that light's justice doesn't usually have much else to hit.

I'm also really excited to team him up with Mind Control Tech. 7 mana 8/9 + random 1 mana minion at worst with only 3 minions on board required. It also goes well with a late game consecrate turn.

You could still be right that he's not worth it, but I think it's worth at least a try.

From what I've read, EMP T is simultaneously the best and worst card in the game right now. I think the greatest grievance is that no one appreciates the He-Man reference!

I would say he's great if you have 6+ cards in hand, decent if you have 3-4 cards, pretty bad if you're in a topdeck war.

I would say he's great if you have 6+ cards in hand, decent if you have 3-4 cards, pretty bad if you're in a topdeck war.
Yeah, he does have that drawback too.

I agree with others that it's awesome that he opens doors to new decks/stratagies. That was probably the idea when they made the card. The also has the issue of you having no clue on what is going to kill you, so you can't protect yourself. Maybe that changes in a month or two when things settle down.

I will also agree that it will suck if the meta does boil down to whoever EMP Ts first, always wins. However, I feel if that is ever the case, someone will make a deck to counter.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm also really excited to team him up with Mind Control Tech. 7 mana 8/9 + random 1 mana minion at worst with only 3 minions on board required. It also goes well with a late game consecrate turn.

The slots in Dragon Paladin are pretty tight right now. I had to make a lot of cuts I wasn't thrilled about in order to make the deck work, like Dr. Boom. There's no way you're going to fit something as situational as MCT in there.

I agree that Muster into Hungry Dragon is decent, because it also deals with potential nightmares like Flame Imp or Shieldbearer fairly well. But that's not going to happen everytime. Chow probably isn't going to survive to Turn 4. Minibot will probably have its divine shield popped by this time so he's not a good answer if your opponent gets anything other than a 1/1 or 1/2.

I just think Twilight Drake makes more sense. Dragon Paladin is going to hold a decent amount of cards most of the time so it'll almost always be a 4/5 or better. The only nightmare it has to worry about are silences. I think Earth Shock is going to be either a 1-of or completely absent from Shaman decks and most other decks can't fit 2 silences. Plus a control deck really wants to save its silences for Tirion or maybe even Thaurissan, so they burn a silence on a drake I'm not that unhappy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wouldn't worry, he won't be nerfed for a while. It's more incentive for people to buy the adventure if there's a ridiculously powerful card as a reward.

I'm genuinely surprised he was actually the week 1 reward. Even if something shocking happens and the other legendaries are viable, just by looking at the card text it was obvious Emperor was the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom