• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Type2

I have to say I think emperor is a decent addition to this game to enable possible card combos that couldn't be played because of the 10 mana limit. His power level needs to be addressed in the fact that he is a ticking time bomb and sometimes just one tick is enough to destroy the game. I understand that for value reasons most people would want his effect to work once dropped but on the other hand there is no counter play if you don't have a removal spell immediately you not only deal with the effect but also a 5/5.
Some solutions could be
1) not allow his effect to reduce cards cost a second time. Meaning only have it work on unaffected cards per turn.
2) make it a single use battle cry which could offer more strategic timing in playing the card to reduce for a next turn otk.
3) lower some of his stats but I don't think that's the big issue there. Putting him in range of 3dmg spells might make him to weak but he will still see play in combo decks.
4) add some kind of penalty to the player using him per effect proc.

Aylinato

I really enjoy playing handlock and control decks. If the meta was only face hunter I would play my anti-face hunter priest deck but it is horrible vs anything else

Also with how I play gruul is amazing legendary that people usually rage quit when I get it out

rickyson1

I feel like Emperor Thaurissan would be much more balanced if it's effect was at the start of your turn instead of at the end

would actually have to survive for a turn to get value then

ViviOggi

Tides vs Darkwonyx, worst decks I've seen in my life
cBj1LTf.png

Aylinato

I feel like Emperor Thaurissan would be much more balanced if it's effect was at the start of your turn instead of at the end

I think it'd be good if just a battle cry, one time use, more skill that way

I just realized that I don't hate zoo as much as face hunter, you have to know how to control the board as zoo, not so much with facehunter

Knife juggler should be nerfed to a 1/2 and it would be fine

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

That outright killed Pagle. Making expensive cards wait a turn to get value is a good way to kill it.

I don't know if this will ever actually work, but there's this synergy between Gang Up and Fel Reaver that I'm working on. Fel Reaver thins out your deck and Gang Up lets you put back whatever you want. So it kind of guarantees that you get out what you put in.

There might be something there, but I'm probably doing it in the wrong way.

Mechwarper is OP as fuck. A 2 mana 2/3 minion that acts like multiple innervates if you can't clear it fast enough. Should be 2/2 at best with that kind of ability.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
God emperor is so broken in Druid. I silenced a taunt with Keeper and did a force of nature with 2 savage roars and i even had enough mana to do my hero power.

Hearthstone 4-4-15:

Match I played earlier Mage vs Lock. Gotta climb back up the ladder!

The KT play at the end was cool, but you passed up lethal in order to do it. You also misplayed the Blastmages. When he had Haunted Creeper + Nerubian Egg, you played Blastmage and hatched the egg and then were forced to trade your Mad Scientist into the Huanted Creeper anyway. You should've traded Mad Scientist first and then used Blastmage's battlecry to kill the 1/1s and have a lower chance at hatching the egg and saving your hero power for face damage rather than clean up work. Then, when you copied his Harvest Golem and played double Blastmage, you should've attacked his Harvest Golem with your Harvest Golem, then played the Blastmages. That way, you'd have a better chance of clearing off his board. By leaving the Harvest Golem, you could've walked into something like Power Overwhelming + Shadow Flame, leaving you with nothing and him with a 2/1.

Levi

Banned
Emperor won't get nerfed anytime soon. Giving him the Nat Pagle treatment would destroy the card, and since a lot of people are going to be buying BRM just to get him I can't see them doing that.

ZealousD

since a lot of people are going to be buying BRM just to get him I can't see them doing that.

Come on, really? You think anybody that plays this game with any regularity is really just going to get the first wing of BRM and be done with it?

Visceir

Don't really have any issues with Emperor, usually it's fairly easy to remove it or it's so late in the game that the mana reduction doesn't really matter.

Think I would personally get more value out of Sylvanas, but I haven't gotten around to crafting it yet.

CoolOff

What is strange is that Emperor is in the first wing. If someone had said a month ago "this card will be in Blackrock" I'd have guessed 3 or 4 just so they can push more full sales.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
That's if you can keep the card out that long and manage to stay afloat in this aggressive meta.

Even if emperor dies right after you play it he pays for itself if you have a few cards, your opponent has to get rid of it asap which means he has fewer removals for your other big minions. Also i'm currently running 2 zombie chows to fight aggro decks, works pretty well except that time i played it and gave my opponent enough HP to survive my combo :(

KePoW

Banned
hahaha, I just beat a Druid in ranked with my regular Face Hunter even after he used Tree of Life and Antique Healbot

I was very close to hitting the Concede button, but I said fuck it and kept playing for fun

He wasn't throwing it in either, he still was playing for real. I think he was just shocked that I did not concede

What is strange is that Emperor is in the first wing. If someone had said a month ago "this card will be in Blackrock" I'd have guessed 3 or 4 just so they can push more full sales.

Obviously pushing preorders was more important. Not to mention any new player has to (in relative terms) a) buy brm and b) craft boom.

I'm surprised no one has done the one legendary+every spare part for extra mech cards

Or a rogue deck with hobgoblin and the +2/2 at end of your turn mech combo

Lots of people have tried. Priest seems to work ok but it is too slow and random.

ZZMitch

I'm surprised no one has done the one legendary+every spare part for extra mech cards

Or a rogue deck with hobgoblin and the +2/2 at end of your turn mech combo

Gazlowe works best with Priest, PWS and stuff like that. Gazlowe Priest is actually my highest win rate deck since GvG cane out lol.69% win rate with over 100 games played so its pretty legit. Actually really good against agro since 1 Mana spells aso work well with Wild Pyromancer :p

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this is my first go at it (link):

GkYWRnw.png

I think the goal is to survive to turn 6, and start playing a lot of strong turns where you use mana discounts to play big turns with a big minion + more to get a huge advantage on board. It's probably best to think of it like a slightly different handlock, not a midrange paladin.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone have a link to the BRM-music? Like, the one that plays when you're playing against the adventure bots?

Seems like hitting for 5 is going to be the next mandatory thing be capable of in order to avoid giving too much value. 3/5 blackwing technician... ouch. Okay acceptable I guess. But thaurisian needs to be removed almost immediately. How much do you sacrifice for that? What if they have a belcher up? Silencing it? It already got value. Silence is a low ball response. Removal that hits for 5? Very few. In fact, very few weapons even hit for 5 - arcanite reaper and the second half of death's bite. How do you set up your mid game to even remove a 5 hp minion as a paladin? They basically have to play it in a vulnerable spot where you have your truesilver or another weapon plus a minion on board. I guess perhaps hammer of wrath helps some. And eventually hungry dragon will help some.

I am trying to figure out how to build a deck now though, not once Hungry dragon is in the game. If paladin doesn't have a good answer, I guess paladin kinda sucks in this meta.

Maybe I'll try out stampeding kodo again.

ZealousD

I don't think Blackwing Technician and Dragon Consort alone are reasons enough to make a Dragon deck. I think you need more synergy then that, otherwise your deck is just too weak elsewhere to make the synergies work.

Also I don't want to live in a world where a Paladin cuts Truesilvers.

Pooya

Emperor is fine,
1-he only is really powerful if you can draw him before turn 6.
2-5/5 is easy enough to remove, if you can't by that point in the game you're going to lose anyway even without emperor...
3-They must have introduced this card to sway people away from cheap decks that were everywhere and make the more expensive card more used in the game, switching to start of the turn completely kills the point.
4- While game is p2w but still this card is only 700 gold away to any one. That's nothing. So much value there even for free players. With your starting gold you can get this, makes sense that the first wing is super easy to beat too, you can do it with the all the free cards straight away.

People were crying for face hunter and similar nerfs, this is the answer, you can play high mana cost decks faster now and they still gave the face hunter a buff too. Fair game I say. I've played quite a lot of games with emperor now and against, it's perfectly fine. The card is a key to a lot of fresh and creative decks.

Danj

4- While game is p2w but still this card is only 700 gold away to any one. That's nothing.

Oh really? With a limit of 100 gold you can earn per day, that's a whole week's worth of winning 30 games a day. I don't know about you but I just don't have time to win 30 games a day for 7 days. Sure, you can pay with real money, but then you get ripped off if you buy the wings individually as it costs more, and if you buy the whole thing you're getting ripped off as 80% of it is locked until the next few weeks.

CoolOff

Oh really? With a limit of 100 gold you can earn per day, that's a whole week's worth of winning 30 games a day. I don't know about you but I just don't have time to win 30 games a day for 7 days. Sure, you can pay with real money, but then you get ripped off if you buy the wings individually as it costs more, and if you buy the whole thing you're getting ripped off as 80% of it is locked until the next few weeks.

Uh, you get a new daily quest worth on average maybe 50 (lowballing it a bit since you can re-roll).

That's maximum two weeks, not even including the 3 win 10s.

You guys are smoking if you think ET is perfectly okay as is. Every druid I play now drops it turn 5 or 6. That means turn 7 combo enabler quite often.

There is a reason why combo decks have been continually nerfed. There is a lack of interactivity to those decks that make them fun playing against. FON + SR was borderline unacceptable as a combo already. Now the game is just going to be reduced in interactivity as people discover more powerful combos or on the flip side its going to be about rushing people down with decks like face hunter... both extremes happen to be very uninteractive compared to midrange and control decks.

There are big issues with this card. It is very fun to use and play, but it is great for the long term? I seriously doubt it. It remains to be seen how good this card is after the rest of the cards remain, so judging it needing to be nerfed or not is still way too early.

Strider

E M P E R O R B O Y S

CNPil98.jpg

Seriously the card is OP. Fact is if you don't remove it instantly it's gonna destroy you...But wasting removal on a 5/5 isn't ideal when you'll have bigger threats to deal with after it. The value I've gotten out of Emperor most of the time is just insane.

I don't know about anyone else, but I bought Blackrock with cash because lots of people had trouble paying for Naxx with gold. I was playing Naxx when it launched when people were stuck on the authorization screen trying to pay with gold.

I've got no problem with the wing structure either. If it all came out at once people would gorge on the whole thing and all the fun would be over in a weekend. Five weeks of content builds hype in the community and the meta changes week-to-week for over a month. The first week of Naxx when Warlocks had Egg and Creeper and there were no counters was crazy.

Dahbomb

The whole point of ET was to make late game drops more viable.

Have a slow deck but drop down ET and suddenly you can play your 8 drop cards on turn 7. That's not that offensive by itself.

Thing is that this card helps out spells more than minions... and that by extension helps out combo decks.

Levi

Banned
Come on, really? You think anybody that plays this game with any regularity is really just going to get the first wing of BRM and be done with it?

F2P players are going to prioritize wing one, yes. Quickshot helps the cheap hunter decks and Emperor helps every midrange and control deck. Doesn't mean they won't get the other wings down the line, but Blizz put the best legendary and best hunter card out right away.

You're forgetting the daily quests.

You guys are smoking if you think ET is perfectly okay as is. Every druid I play now drops it turn 5 or 6. That means turn 7 combo enabler quite often.

There is a reason why combo decks have been continually nerfed. There is a lack of interactivity to those decks that make them fun playing against. FON + SR was borderline unacceptable as a combo already. Now the game is just going to be reduced in interactivity as people discover more powerful combos or on the flip side its going to be about rushing people down with decks like face hunter... both extremes happen to be very uninteractive compared to midrange and control decks.

There are big issues with this card. It is very fun to use and play, but it is great for the long term? I seriously doubt it. It remains to be seen how good this card is after the rest of the cards remain, so judging it needing to be nerfed or not is still way too early.

Isn't that more of an issue with the actual Druid combo than anything? Being able to do so much damage out of the blue already gave Druid games they could win off of a 2 card combo. 2 1/1 minions with combo gives 20 damage. ET is actually fairly fine as it is, in my opinion. I've only played against one person who won due to the effect, out of the 50 or so games I've played this season.

Milennia

debating a finishing up my control warrior or my fast druid atm... i mean most of the cards overlap int erms of legendaries at least, harrison/boom/sylv

warrior would be missing grom/rag if i decided to go with druid
druid would be missing cenarius if i decided to go with warrior, basically i can craft one or the other in its entirety lol just not sure which

i dont have alexstrasza or baron but i have access to ysera/rag/boom/sylv/harrison/grom

Only gold earned from grinding constructed is limited. You can earn unlimited gold from quests and arena.

Isn't that more of an issue with the actual Druid combo than anything? Being able to do so much damage out of the blue already gave Druid games they could win off of a 2 card combo. 2 1/1 minions with combo gives 20 damage. ET is actually fairly fine as it is, in my opinion. I've only played against one person who won due to the effect, out of the 50 or so games I've played this season.

Druid is just the easiest example to give. One from probably many.

tylerf

debating a finishing up my control warrior or my fast druid atm... i mean most of the cards overlap int erms of legendaries at least, harrison/boom/sylv

druid would be missing cenarius if i decided to go with warrior, basically i can craft one or the other in its entirety lol just not sure which

i dont have alexstrasza or baron but i have access to ysera/rag/boom/sylv/harrison/grom

Recently had a similar decision and I ended up going with Cenarius. Using the combo is just a lot of fun (more than when it gets used against you).

I think either one will always be strong. Druid seems stronger in the Meta right now, but Control Warrior feels more "timeless" to me. My friend runs a faster Cenarius-less (replaced by Emperor Thar) Druid by choice and he's sitting at 9 right now. Alexstrasza is less important in the current meta as well, IMO.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
He's an amazingly fun and awesome card, also might make some of those less prevalent 9 mana legendaries more playable which is always a + imo.

If they do have to nerf him, hope it's just the stats route, making him into a 5/4 or 4/4 or something along those lines. But it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too early for any changes anyway. I still remember when people in this thread were talking about how baron and KT needed to be nerfed immediately rofl.

I personally feel if they nerfed him, it should be that his effect doesn't happen until your turn start. But I'm not sure he really needs a nerf yet ether, he is damn strong, but you can't build a deck around a single card unless you have the ability to cycle your entire deck. You may never actually draw Emperor, which was a major issue when I was playing with him in decks. He is strong in control, but he isn't going to single handily win you the game in something like control warrior.

Emperor is fine,
1-he only is really powerful if you can draw him before turn 6.
2-5/5 is easy enough to remove, if you can't by that point in the game you're going to lose anyway even without emperor...
3-They must have introduced this card to sway people away from cheap decks that were everywhere and make the more expensive card more used in the game, switching to start of the turn completely kills the point.
4- While game is p2w but still this card is only 700 gold away to any one. That's nothing. So much value there even for free players. With your starting gold you can get this, makes sense that the first wing is super easy to beat too, you can do it with the all the free cards straight away.

People were crying for face hunter and similar nerfs, this is the answer, you can play high mana cost decks faster now and they still gave the face hunter a buff too. Fair game I say. I've played quite a lot of games with emperor now and against, it's perfectly fine. The card is a key to a lot of fresh and creative decks.

He is far from fine.

Creative decks? I'll give you that... For about one more day. Then everybody will settle on the deck he is most broken in and that will be that.

Druid, miracle rogue, freeze mage or face hunter. What else is going to compete with that? They are not new decks, they just got incredibly stronger (face hunter being for different reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom