• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nat pagle nerf is too big. They need to make it like echoing ooze maybe. Battlecry: at the end of THIS turn do XYZ. That way it would only go off once. I think the problem remains at its core it just ends up reducing interactivity of some decks beyond what should be allowed. I think of miracle rogue levels of un-interactivity getting off 20+ damage combos from hand with a few cards.

Still, I am not utterly convinced this card breaks the game, but I definitely lean on the side of it being bad for it.

LiveWire

All hail the Emperor! Turn 1 Emperor = Good times

mfZ2r7fl.jpg

Ashodin

Frodan talking about the demonlock decks after Imp Gang Boss + Demonwrath

Demonwrath + Egg = omg my 4/4 and ur dudes r dead

Dahbomb

Frodan talking about the demonlock decks after Imp Gang Boss + Demonwrath

Demonwrath + Egg = omg my 4/4 and ur dudes r dead
Everyone thought of that combo the day that card was showcased.

And that card is like really good, it's in my top 5 best cards to look out for BRM. That and Imp Gang Boss.

debating a finishing up my control warrior or my fast druid atm... i mean most of the cards overlap int erms of legendaries at least, harrison/boom/sylv

warrior would be missing grom/rag if i decided to go with druid
druid would be missing cenarius if i decided to go with warrior, basically i can craft one or the other in its entirety lol just not sure which

i dont have alexstrasza or baron but i have access to ysera/rag/boom/sylv/harrison/grom

You can play Druid without Cenarius. You can't play Warrior without Grom, and Alex is pretty necessary as well. Baron is good but the least important Legendary in the CW deck IMO. I played without him for awhile and did fine.

I don't think I would run Harrison and TBK at the same time. Too many tech cards IMO.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Playing as a shaman in arena I am shocked at how people dont take into account bloodlust, they leave harmless totems up all the time and BAM

Yall got schooled :3

Milennia

You can play Druid without Cenarius. You can't play Warrior without Grom, and Alex is pretty necessary as well. Baron is good but the least important Legendary in the CW deck IMO. I played without him for awhile and did fine.

I don't think I would run Harrison and TBK at the same time. Too many tech cards IMO.

i wouldnt run the 2 together either no, basically i would be running a standard kolento build atm since im lacking the alex.

ysera
rag
harrison
grom
sylv
boom

unsure how or if i would even want to fit thaurissan in atm

my goal is to basically just hit legend this season, i have the mechanical skill through a long history of tcg play, just trying to find the most well rounded deck to do it with, so my choices came down to these 2

i have pretty much every other deck there is or the possibility to make anything, but have no interest in playing face hunter

I just had an unstoppable kill caused by thaurisian. I mean, it only gave me like 6-7 mana over the course of 2 turns - and it only survived 1 turn.

After thaurisian this is what happened in shaman vs warlock (I was playing shaman). Turn 6 thaurisian and he had a belcher and a 2/1 on board. He kills the thaurisian immediately of course.

My fire elemental next turn was 5 mana, allowing me to totem and try to get a spellpower totem. 1 mana extra mana so far.

Then I played a doomhammer + hex, both discounted. 3 mana extra thus far.

Finally, on turn 9 with 2 mana locked, I played alakir for 7 mana and 2 earthshocks. 3 extra mana again, bringing the total value of thaurisian up to 6 extra mana.

And I still had feral spirits in hand at 2 mana.

7 extra mana to play with basically. I had turns where I could have played the feral spirits but felt it unnecessarily moving too far into shadowflame.. not that that would have saved him from anything I was doing anyway.

I think he was a handlock, but maybe demonlock, but either way....

Also, I just want to note, this card is causing a lot of experimentation, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to end up making previously shitty/mediocre cards suddenly amazing. Because, would you rather have a previously mediocre card cost 1 less some of the time to make it good or would you rather have previously great cards cost 1 less some of the time and still be great the rest of the time?

Also... 0 mana earthsocks... crazy. 0 mana rockbiters... omfg.

Tempo shaman... is gonna be nuts imho. It hasn't even gotten its class cards.

sibarraz

Banned
Had the most epic match of my life, I was facing this priest who at turn 6 put emperor, I had no way to destroy. Next turn he makes a copy of it and has 2 of them

CByNxJlWMAAJUy9.png

after destroying them, he plays resurrect and gets emperor, I destroy it, 4 turns later he plays resurrect and gets another fucking emperor.

After surviving for a while he plays velen and lefts me 1 life, saying me well played and all that shit. I thought that the match was lost.

CByNxY5WAAAnY90.png

But then I draw Jaraxxus and make the best comeback of my life

Had the most epic match of my life, I was facing this priest who at turn 6 put emperor, I had no way to destroy. Next turn he makes a copy of it and has 2 of them

CByNxJlWMAAJUy9.png

after destroying them, he plays resurrect and gets emperor, I destroy it, 4 turns later he plays resurrect and gets another fucking emperor.

After surviving for a while he plays velen and lefts me 1 life, saying me well played and all that shit. I thought that the match was lost.

CByNxY5WAAAnY90.png

But then I draw Jaraxxus and make the best comeback of my life

LOL nice...

Magnus

I hope aggro priest catches fire a bit and truly justifies a Velen craft. I've always kind of wanted to make one.... :p

tylerf

I always wanted to try and fit Velen but it was so situational and control priest was already hard enough to play. Perhaps Emperor Balanced can make him a bit easier to use.

Malice215

Also, I just want to note, this card is causing a lot of experimentation, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to end up making previously shitty/mediocre cards suddenly amazing. Because, would you rather have a previously mediocre card cost 1 less some of the time to make it good or would you rather have previously great cards cost 1 less some of the time and still be great the rest of the time?

Also... 0 mana earthsocks... crazy. 0 mana rockbiters... omfg.

Tempo shaman... is gonna be nuts imho. It hasn't even gotten its class cards.

I feel the same way after doing a bunch of experimenting yesterday. The 1 mana discount doesn't justify putting mediocre cards in your deck because of the meta, so I will just stick to the good stuff.

Going to try to climb back up the ladder with Shaman and Priest after getting wrecked by Hunters yesterday.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I feel the same way after doing a bunch of experimenting yesterday. The 1 mana discount doesn't justify putting mediocre cards in your deck because of the meta, so I will just stick to the good stuff.

Pretty much. Why would you want a shitty card at a 1 mana discount when you can have good cards at a 1 mana discount?

E M P E R O R B O Y S

Seriously the card is OP. Fact is if you don't remove it instantly it's gonna destroy you...But wasting removal on a 5/5 isn't ideal when you'll have bigger threats to deal with after it. The value I've gotten out of Emperor most of the time is just insane.

I just got Emp out on like turn 3 or so, got a turn 7 Force of Nature + Savage Roar combo because of Emp. I actually said "sorry" before I played it because I took the warlock from like 23 to 0 on turn 7.

Dahbomb

Mill Rogue is still very hard to play and even someone who has played the deck before is liable to make mistakes. You can see it in that Kripp video, he made many mistakes using the deck and still barely won the matches.

What is a mill deck?

You win by making your opponent continually draw cards until they max out (and cards get burned) and eventually fatigue.

The current popular deck is coldlight oracle (draw 2 cards) and gang up and shadow step. With this you can burn through your opponents deck (while getting 6 cards extra), hope they lose something valuable and use the cards you get yourself to respond.

It is tough to play right and loses to face hunter, which you will see every now and then (Because you keep giving the hunter cards, which isn't helpful).

Magnus

I clicked way too fast and missed the reward, but I believe I just got this:

"Big Winner Win 1000 games in any mode. 300 gold"

Sweet!

ZealousD

You destroy the other person's deck by having them over draw (past 10) and speed up the process of them dying from fatigue damage.

It's more accurate to call it Fatigue deck for Hearthstone terminology as Mill is from Magic.

In Hearthstone terminology there's a difference between Mill and Fatigue, I think. Mill decks actually aim to fill your opponent's hand and hope to burn key cards once the hand is full. They might use cards like Mukla, Clockwork Giant, and Vanish to use the size of the opponent's hands against them. These are gimmicky decks that almost never win. At best they'll screw over Handlock and Control Warrior.

Fatigue decks don't aim to burn cards necessarily. They just use card draw mechanics against your opponent in order to force your opponent to hit fatigue damage before you do. They aim to use efficient removals to destroy potential threats. Board clears, things like that. Stall the game and then they finish you off with fatigue damage.

They often get confused because both rely on making your opponent draw cards, and both strategies are essentially a component of what mill did in Magic. But Hearthstone isn't Magic, and these are actually two different types of strategies in Hearthstone.

Magnus

lmao

Legend Druid innervated out a Piloted Shredder.

I coined out an Injured Battlemaster.

He trades, a 2/2 pops out.

I have two Resurrects and a Smite. I rez the BM at full health and smite the 2/2. Next turn I rez again, pulling the same BM at full health. I PW:S each of them and have two 4/9's out on turn 4.

He concedes. lol

Dahbomb

In Hearthstone terminology there's a difference between Mill and Fatigue, I think. Mill decks actually aim to fill your opponent's hand and hope to burn key cards once the hand is full. They might use cards like Mukla, Clockwork Giant, and Vanish to use the size of the opponent's hands against them. These are gimmicky decks that almost never win. At best they'll screw over Handlock and Control Warrior.

Fatigue decks don't aim to burn cards necessarily. They just use card draw mechanics against your opponent in order to force your opponent to hit fatigue damage before you do. They aim to use efficient removals to destroy potential threats. Board clears, things like that. Stall the game and then they finish you off with fatigue damage.
Most Mill Decks these days have efficient removals and AOE board clears as well (at least the good ones, those that don't are garbage because otherwise they won't be able to survive the early aggression).

Especially the Druid Mill deck which is basically the same thing as the Druid Fatigue deck when you look it up online. Massive AOE clears, lots of removals and a bunch of heals.

The new Rogue deck is also that but it's the MOST aggressive form of Milling in the game currently. Like you can get the game to fatigue by turn 10, that's how aggressive it is. However, you can still just stall with taunts and heals while clearing the opponent's board with removals because of Gang Up.

Against a Face Hunter for example you don't aggressively Mill, rather you Gang Up on Healbots/Taunts and just stall against the Hunter until he runs out of steam. There is nothing he is going to do against 4-5 Healbots.

Gang Up has pushed Mill Rogue from gimmicky deck to a legitimately strong deck.

Magnus

Well, for the first time in my HS life, I've decided to try out a Face Hunter.

Wow.

The power.

It's attractive, being on this side of it all....lol.

I hate it, because it's so mindless. But fuck. The power.

ZealousD

Well, for the first time in my HS life, I've decided to try out a Face Hunter.

Wow.

The power.

It's attractive, being on this side of it all....lol.

I hate it, because it's so mindless. But fuck. The power.

Damage comes from nowhere. "I already did 20 damage to this guy? How did I do that?" You just play cards and hero power and suddenly you win. The deck is stupid.

Resurrect should not trigger Wild Pyro. Literally 100% bullshit.

People who play Face Hunter disturb me. Looking at it from a psychological angle, why are you playing it? To win? But what is the point of winning if you did nothing to earn that win? Because you didn't make the deck, and you didn't use any particular set of skills or intelligence to win. So what is the point? Winning for the sake of winning? Sure you can hit legend with it, but what does that get you? You can show off to all your friends that you hit Legend, I guess.

I don't really mind, since I've just ran a quicker variation on Control Warrior today. I'm loving that win rate.

Most Mill Decks these days have efficient removals and AOE board clears as well (at least the good ones, those that don't are garbage because otherwise they won't be able to survive the early aggression).

Especially the Druid Mill deck which is basically the same thing as the Druid Fatigue deck when you look it up online. Massive AOE clears, lots of removals and a bunch of heals.

The new Rogue deck is also that but it's the MOST aggressive form of Milling in the game currently. Like you can get the game to fatigue by turn 10, that's how aggressive it is. However, you can still just stall with taunts and heals while clearing the opponent's board with removals because of Gang Up.

Against a Face Hunter for example you don't aggressively Mill, rather you Gang Up on Healbots/Taunts and just stall against the Hunter until he runs out of steam. There is nothing he is going to do against 4-5 Healbots.

Gang Up has pushed Mill Rogue from gimmicky deck to a legitimately strong deck.

I tried out the new Mill Rogue, and it's still just as bad as it used to be. Gang up on taunts is entirely too slow against Face Hunter. You basically have until turn 6 vs Face Hunter. How many of those 3 extra taunts/heals are you going to see by turn 6? Against control decks, you're still entirely dependent on pulling Coldlight Oracle. If you don't, you lose. I had the Rogue/Warrior Dominance quest today and completed it with Mill Rogue. 3 out of 5 wins were against other Mill Rogues, the other 2 were against Face Hunter and Grim Patron Warrior. The Face Hunter win was a bit of a fluke, and on the way to completing the quest I managed to lose to Control Warrior, Demonlock, Control Priest, Ramp Druid, and a slew of Face Hunters. All of the control losses were due to Coldlight just not showing up.

Dahbomb

There is no universe in which Mill Rogue is "as bad as it always was". Gang Up is objectively a buff to that playstyle.

Whether it's enough in the current meta is a different discussion entirely but to say it's basically the same is IMO incorrect.

There is no universe in which Mill Rogue is "as bad as it always was". Gang Up is objectively a buff to that playstyle.

Whether it's enough in the current meta is a different discussion entirely but to say it's basically the same is IMO incorrect.

Fair enough. It's better than it used to be, but still way too dependent on a single card. If you don't pull that one card, you lose. And you can't run a lot of card draw to try to find it, because then you'll wind up fatiguing yourself instead of the other player.

gutshot

Resurrect should not trigger Wild Pyro. Literally 100% bullshit.

People who play Face Hunter disturb me. Looking at it from a psychological angle, why are you playing it? To win? But what is the point of winning if you did nothing to earn that win? Because you didn't make the deck, and you didn't use any particular set of skills or intelligence to win. So what is the point? Winning for the sake of winning? Sure you can hit legend with it, but what does that get you? You can show off to all your friends that you hit Legend, I guess.

I don't really mind, since I've just ran a quicker variation on Control Warrior today. I'm loving that win rate.

People play it because it is a super cheap deck that wins quickly. If you are grinding for ranks or gold, it is the most efficient deck to do that with.

Also, it isn't completely mindless. It doesn't require navigating tricky board states but you do have to think a few turns ahead when trying to set up lethal. It takes some level of skill to climb really high with the deck.

People play it because it is a super cheap deck that wins quickly. If you are grinding for ranks or gold, it is the most efficient deck to do that with.

Also, it isn't completely mindless. It doesn't require navigating tricky board states but you do have to think a few turns ahead when trying to set up lethal. It takes some level of skill to climb really high with the deck.

I've ran the deck, just to figure out how it played and such. I'm not going to say it's mindless, but I don't think there is a single deck in Hearthstone where it doesn't take some level of skill to climb ranks. There are Face Hunter players and good Face Hunter players, I guess. I just can't wrap my mind around winning just for the sake of winning.

On the other hand, I do understand that the deck is cheap to make. But there are other decks that are just as cheap. Maybe not as viable or tier 1, but still playable and with the potential to improve your level of play. Although, the argument could be made that simply playing with any deck would help with that.

Edit: I guess the only thing to blame would be the ladder system in HS. In a world where 50% of players play a deck that always wins against Face Hunter but the games last 15-20 minutes and everyone else plays Face Hunter, I think the Face Hunters still rank up at the faster.

Bliz QA!?

Kappa?

Gamebreaking bug alert: Emperor Thaurissian is missing the lightning bolt that signifies he has an active text ability.
Kappa

How the fuck does this pass Bliz QA!?

edit:
yes of course Kappa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom