• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Does anyone else run into instant concede players in ranked?

Just had 3 in a row

i have had some in the higher ranks 10-18 (excluding the times people quit after reque into me). i think it's mostly because my golden hero portrait since I wasn't playing face/aggro. I changed my card back away from legend card back but they don't let you turn off golden portraits

I am excited to play shaman once fireguard destroyer is released. I've prepared a list but I'm not sure how exactly lava shock fits into it, not because I think it is a weak card but because Emperor Thaurissan is like unlimited mana and there are limited deck slots. I've already cut DOA for fireguard destroyer, weakening myself to face huntard. I had to make tough choices to cut cards to fit destroyer and lava shock in and I only managed a single lava shock.

BRM_shaman.png

Cards I would include:
Defender of Argus
Big Game hunter
Second mana tide totem
Harrison Jones

It kinda sucks that I have to wait til week four to use fireguard destroyers. Card looks badass for shaman.

Damage comes from nowhere. "I already did 20 damage to this guy? How did I do that?" You just play cards and hero power and suddenly you win. The deck is stupid.

I've said this before in this thread, but the deck needs a nerf somehow because it's so stupidly easy to play. The counters are so ridiculously tough to come by and you have to draw the right cards in the right order or you're boned. If the counter was as easy to play as the deck itself I'd have no problem.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I am excited to play shaman once fireguard destroyer is released. I've prepared a list but I'm not sure how exactly lava shock fits into it, not because I think it is a weak card but because Emperor Thaurissan is like unlimited mana and there are limited deck slots. I've already cut DOA for fireguard destroyer, weakening myself to face huntard. I had to make tough choices to cut cards to fit destroyer and lava shock in and I only managed a single lava shock.

I would probably cut one of the Earth Shocks. I suspect I might be the only person in the world who thinks Hungry Dragon is overrated enough to run Twilight Drakes instead. And Handlock still won't be a thing with all the Face Hunters around.

Xanathus

I would probably cut one of the Earth Shocks. I suspect I might be the only person in the world who thinks Hungry Dragon is overrated enough to run Twilight Drakes instead. And Handlock still won't be a thing with all the Face Hunters around.

Handlock is actually considered to be 50/50 or even favored with Face Hunters if they're running Healbots and/or Farseers and/or 1x Zombie Chow. It's Midrange Hunter that is the almost unwinnable matchup.

Aylinato

Handlock is actually considered to be 50/50 or even favored with Face Hunters if they're running Healbots and/or Farseers and/or 1x Zombie Chow. It's Midrange Hunter that is the almost unwinnable matchup.

I was 50/50 last week vs facesmashhunter but...I'm at like 0 now with that stupid "do 3 card" card, I've actually lost 5 matches solely because they emptied their hands and they got two cards from it. I've switched to my priest that solely is built vs hunters. Lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Well whatever it is, I haven't seen an actual honest-to-god Handlock in ages.

My point is that I don't see the necessity of 2x Earth Shock unless you expect to be seeing a ton of Twilight Drakes.

ViviOggi

Now I really wanna try arena, but it'd be tomorrow at the earliest before I'd have enough gold :(
If you don't want it to end in tears make sure to watch a good arena streamer first and focus on their play, arena is an entirely different beast from constructed

You can use Heartharena or whatever for drafting help

Dahbomb

BRM_shaman.png

Cards I would include:
Defender of Argus
Big Game hunter
Second mana tide totem
Harrison Jones

It kinda sucks that I have to wait til week four to use fireguard destroyers. Card looks badass for shaman.
Need to replace one of the cards for Dr Balanced.

Levi

Banned
Alright guys, I've been gone for a couple months now. What do I need to know about the new meta and cards?

There's ton of awesome new meta decks, cards, and late game options. None of it matters because all you face on ladder is herp derp face hunters. You can get the same result as playing Hearthstone without the frustration if you just flip a coin, because that's what playing against that shitty deck comes down to.

KePoW

Banned
There's ton of awesome new meta decks, cards, and late game options. None of it matters because all you face on ladder is herp derp face hunters. You can get the same result as playing Hearthstone without the frustration if you just flip a coin, because that's what playing against that shitty deck comes down to.

I still don't understand what you anti-FH people complain about? When it's clear that they are 50/50 at high ranked play (and probably lower win % at Legendary ranks)

So how can you justifying nerfing that entire deck and make it much worse than 50/50?? I don't see how it's overpowered at those ranks

Aylinato

I still don't understand what you anti-FH people complain about? When it's clear that they are 50/50 at high ranked play (and probably lower win % at Legendary ranks)

So how can you justifying nerfing that entire deck and make it much worse than 50/50?? I don't see how it's overpowered at those ranks

It was 50/50 until expansion.

Danj

I've said this before in this thread, but the deck needs a nerf somehow because it's so stupidly easy to play. The counters are so ridiculously tough to come by and you have to draw the right cards in the right order or you're boned. If the counter was as easy to play as the deck itself I'd have no problem.

Either I must be doing something wrong or you need more expensive cards, I tried this Face Hunter deck and lost nearly all the games I played with it.

Dahbomb

Slightly higher than 50% winrate is enough to get you to Legend if you grind out the games and Face Hunter is IDEAL for Ladder grinding.

Either I must be doing something wrong or you need more expensive cards, I tried this Face Hunter deck and lost nearly all the games I played with it.
That's because this is a woefully outdated and bad Face Hunter deck. Rhino Tundra and Starving Buzzard? lol

Look at the list that DrKirby posted and that's the Face Hunter people are running these days (+/- Leeroy but even that is not essential).

I think earthshock is sooo good though. But if pilotted shredders suddenly start dropping from decks, I guess it might be worth it. Also, ET + 0 mana earthshocks... wow that is incredibly strong in this deck which tries to burst down opponents over 1-2 turns. Belcher in particular is a card worth including earthshocks for as well I think.

Speaking of handlock, I've come into quite a few of them recently. And even some of the more recent demonlock decks have opted to run some twilight drakes if not mountain giants so they are handlocky as well.

Need to replace one of the cards for Dr Balanced.

I've thought about it. I don't think it necessarily belongs but I guess dr. boom can fit into almost anything. I personally have come to think of Dr. Balanced more as Dr. Overrated. I think it is an incredibly high value card, but at the point in the game where dr. boom can be played, I want to be pushing faster cards than dr. boom.

It remains a definite possibility though.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Tune into twitch and everyone is playing rogue :O

Levi

Banned

Who said it was overpowered? I said it's a coin flip. That's, like, the opposite.

It's completely unfun to play against. It's boring as shit to watch in tournament play. Worst of all, it's a boring deck to use.

It makes the game less fun for me, both as a player and spectator.

Dahbomb

This Freeze Mage on the Amaz stream let the Emperor live for 3 turn against a double combo Druid..

The fuck did he think was going to happen?

KePoW

Banned
It's completely unfun to play against. It's boring as shit to watch in tournament play. Worst of all, it's a boring deck to use.

It makes the game less fun for me, both as a player and spectator.

Ok that's a totally different subject & topic then, and only one person

I only play Face Hunter on ladder and nothing else, but I've never called for any other class to be nerfed even though I have zero fun playing control decks. That's because I realize there should be all types classes in a card game -- as long as they're relatively balanced at high ranks

That should be the only consideration.

I usually lose to Priests and Control Warriors. should I ask for those to be nerfed? No, because that would not be a valid opinion

Ok that's a totally different subject & topic then, and only one person

I only play Face Hunter on ladder and nothing else, but I've never called for any other class to be nerfed even though I have zero fun playing control decks. That's because I realize there should be all types classes in a card game -- as long as they're relatively balanced at high ranks

That should be the only consideration.

I usually lose to Priests and Control Warriors. should I ask for those to be nerfed? No, because that would not be a valid opinion

I don't understand this point about whether an opinion is valid or not. Validity has to do with the underlying logic behind a statement, not whether it is compelling or not.

But people have always been hoping that hearthstone slows down a little bit. If you lose based on the first 2-3 turns, which happens very often with face hunter and few other decks because hunter is built to win off the consistently strong start, you don't feel like your choices or even their choices actually had any impact on the game's result.

The way a game plays is arguably even much more important than how it is balanced. Why have a balanced game if it is not fun to play.

Levi

Banned

I still didn't ask for a nerf. If you have fun dragging icons towards face over and over and letting a coin flip decide if you win or lose, more power to you.

Dahbomb

Problem with Face Hunter is that it lacks much thought/skill to play and you are pretty much ignoring the board (unless they play a taunt in which case you silence/remove and proceed to going back to non interactive play).

It's the type of play that Blizzard doesn't want to take with Hearthstone. They want back and forth minion trading which is why there are quite a few cards in the new expansion that give you incentive for it. They also don't want decks that are unfun to play for a majority of players. And they especially don't want to create games where the game is decided on opening hands and turn 1/2 plays like what was happening with the Undertaker not too long ago.

Thing is that aside from Mad Scientiest and the new Quick Shot nothing is over powered in the deck. Mad Scientist was long overdue for a nerf anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel face Hunter has a higher more skill cap then people believe, the way you play your cards and when to hold you cards is key to winning vs control line ups or mirror matches. It takes some skill to realize your only chance not to lose is actually playing nothing for a turn or two.
OK really what gives with these small pictures that people feel the need to incessantly paste into the Hearthstone thread?
Most of them are Dota2 emoticons, but that one is the dota player eternal envy face palming in depression after a crushing defeat. There is an extension to make posting them easier.

johnsmith

remember me
Comcast/Xfinity is sponsoring a Hearthstone tournament? That's gotta be the biggest sponsor so far.

Also lol at this fucking music. Whoever is handling the sound is an idiot.

KePoW

Banned
I don't understand this point about whether an opinion is valid or not. Validity has to do with the underlying logic behind a statement, not whether it is compelling or not.

But people have always been hoping that hearthstone slows down a little bit. If you lose based on the first 2-3 turns, which happens very often with face hunter and few other decks because hunter is built to win off the consistently strong start, you don't feel like your choices or even their choices actually had any impact on the game's result.

The way a game plays is arguably even much more important than how it is balanced. Why have a balanced game if it is not fun to play.

I still didn't ask for a nerf. If you have fun dragging icons towards face over and over and letting a coin flip decide if you win or lose, more power to you.

Problem with Face Hunter is that it lacks much thought/skill to play and you are pretty much ignoring the board (unless they play a taunt in which case you silence/remove and proceed to going back to non interactive play).

It's the type of play that Blizzard doesn't want to take with Hearthstone. They want back and forth minion trading which is why there are quite a few cards in the new expansion that give you incentive for it. They also don't want decks that are unfun to play for a majority of players. And they especially don't want to create games where the game is decided on opening hands and turn 1/2 plays like what was happening with the Undertaker not too long ago.

Thing is that aside from Mad Scientiest and the new Quick Shot nothing is over powered in the deck. Mad Scientist was long overdue for a nerf anyway.

I'm not totally discounting what you guys are saying. However one thing, regarding the parts bolded above --

Are yall absolutely sure that the Majority of players and Blizzard do not want agro/face decks?? I'm not convinced of that feeling

Keep in mind that the famous streamers and tournament players represent a tiny portion of the mass casual entire player-base. Are we sure that the entire casual player-base does not find agro/face to be fun??

I'm not totally discounting what you guys are saying. However one thing, regarding the parts bolded above --

Are yall absolutely sure that the Majority of players and Blizzard do not want agro/face decks?? I'm not convinced of that feeling

Keep in mind that the famous streamers and tournament players represent a tiny portion of the mass casual entire player-base. Are we sure that the entire casual player-base does not find agro/face to be fun??

Go to reddit any weekend and click on the weekly rant/rage threads. There you will find your answer.

People play Face Hunter because it is the cheapest and fastest way to rank up. Before that, it was Zoolock, but I'd take Zoolock anyday because IMO there was more strategy to that deck. It has gone stupid now that people are running double Overwhelming and such, but it teaches an inexperienced player more about how the game works. You have to consider when to tap, when to trade, when to risk a discard (this was when people were running 0 mana Soulfire and not Darkbomb), etc.

Dahbomb

Everyone I have talked to who plays Hearthstone hates playing against Face Hunter. The only people who don't hate Face Hunter are those who play Face Hunter themselves or play some deck that specifically counters Face Hunter.

It's certainly the most hated deck in HS currently. Only thing taking the heat off Hunters at the moment is Emperor Balanced.

And of course I don't feel you need to nerf Face Hunter but Mad Scientist shouldn't exist and neither should Quick Shot. A way to deal with Face Hunters is to introduce more anti aggro cards like Zombie Chow, Annoyotrons or Unstable Ghouls or a Belcher type minion that comes it earlier.

A 2/4 Taunt that costs 3 mana would also greatly help in dealing with early game aggression.

KePoW

Banned
Go to reddit any weekend and click on the weekly rant/rage threads. There you will find your answer.

Casual mass players (particularly in a F2P games like HS) do not post on the specific reddit

Just like NeoGAF posters/opinions is a tiny minority of people who play video games, and is not a good representation

Danj

If you've never played Arena, your first ticket is free.

I must have tried it at some point in the dim and distant past before I was serious about Hearthstone, it's showing as £1.49 or 150 gold now ;_;

That's because this is a woefully outdated and bad Face Hunter deck. Rhino Tundra and Starving Buzzard? lol

Look at the list that DrKirby posted and that's the Face Hunter people are running these days (+/- Leeroy but even that is not essential).

Do you have the link to that post? I must be blind or something, having trouble finding it.

this is an absolutely horrible deck

<edit> actually I think this is a total troll deck to lure HS noobies to try it

That is one of the worst decks I've ever seen.

Could someone possibly put together a worse set of cards in one deck? Is it possible?

Pretty sure that deck is a clever ruse to curb Face Hunter population on ladder

With this deck, the only face getting hunted is yours, lol.

Well okay. So I guess it's a miracle I won any games with it at all then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom