• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Everyone I have talked to who plays Hearthstone hates playing against Face Hunter. The only people who don't hate Face Hunter are those who play Face Hunter themselves or play some deck that specifically counters Face Hunter.

It's certainly the most hated deck in HS currently. Only thing taking the heat off Hunters at the moment is Emperor Balanced.

And of course I don't feel you need to nerf Face Hunter but Mad Scientist shouldn't exist and neither should Quick Shot. A way to deal with Face Hunters is to introduce more anti aggro cards like Zombie Chow, Annoyotrons or Unstable Ghouls or a Belcher type minion that comes it earlier.

A 2/4 Taunt that costs 3 mana would also greatly help in dealing with early game aggression.

I love playing face hunter. Easy wins for control warrior. and it keeps other cancer decks like mech mage and zoo in check.

The thing that really makes me rage is mages with mirror entity.

FeD.nL

Thanks.

I don't have Abusive Sergeant, Glaivezooka, Explosive Trap, Quick Shot, Ironbeak Owl, Knife Juggler, Eaglehorn Bow or Arcane Golem and I only have one Unleash the Hounds.

There's always Trump's basic level 10 Hunter deck I suppose, does that count as Face Hunter?

You should really craft an Ironbeak owl. Pretty much staple in nearly any deck.

Casual mass players (particularly in a F2P games like HS) do not post on the specific reddit

Just like NeoGAF posters/opinions is a tiny minority of people who play video games, and is not a good representation

Oh please. These players you're talking about don't even exist. They're at Rank 25 No Stars, playing decks with Goldshire Footman and such. If you're playing Face Hunter, you're trying to rank up faster, that means you're not a casual player. It's a strange class of casual player that cares so much about their rank they'll go to HearthPwn, look for a netdeck, and then play the deck that causes them to rank up the fastest. If anything, they'll play basic decks with gimmicks like All Taunts or Priests with the Divine Spirit/Inner Fire combo or Mana Wyrm -> Coin -> Arcane Missles or even the dreaded Turn 1 Holy Smite To The Face.

Playing Face Hunter at Rank 20 isn't casual at all, it's going full tryhard.

I don't even hate the deck. I can beat it most of the time because they simply run out of gas. Midrange Hunter back last summer when they had Buzzard/Timber/Hounds was way worse. I can take being swamped by an onslaught to the face. It's the decks with huge swing potential that only get me mad. Time after time around last summer I would be close to lethal and they would play that combo, suddenly draw 4 cards and have 4 2/1s with Charge.

Levi

Banned
There's always Trump's basic level 10 Hunter deck I suppose, does that count as Face Hunter?

I took a look at that Trump deck, and it's definitely an aggro deck. Not as well tuned as the list that Chakki made popular, but why not try it out and see what you think? When I started, trying new decks every day kept me going until I had a decent collection and figured out what kinds of decks I preferred. (which, it turns out, is combo decks and greedy control decks).

I decided to try that Lightbomb Priest deck Savjz made popular, but I replaced one Giblin with one Resurrect (because new). Don't have much experience with Priest so I'm not winning a ton, but it's neat to try all these new interactions and cards I haven't ever used before.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mad Scientist is still a piece of shit card that should have been nerfed long ago. Blizzard has nerfed cards that are far less deserving.

Danj

You should really craft an Ironbeak owl. Pretty much staple in nearly any deck.

It costs 40 dust and I only have 15. I'd have to disenchant like 5 commons just to get enough dust for one :( and my rares and above are few and far between so disenchanting them wouldn't be real great for me.

KePoW

Banned
Oh please. These players you're talking about don't even exist. They're at Rank 25 No Stars, playing decks with Goldshire Footman and such. If you're playing Face Hunter, you're trying to rank up faster, that means you're not a casual player. It's a strange class of casual player that cares so much about their rank they'll go to HearthPwn, look for a netdeck, and then play the deck that causes them to rank up the fastest. If anything, they'll play basic decks with gimmicks like All Taunts or Priests with the Divine Spirit/Inner Fire combo or Mana Wyrm -> Coin -> Arcane Missles or even the dreaded Turn 1 Holy Smite To The Face.

Playing Face Hunter at Rank 20 isn't casual at all, it's going full tryhard.

well I'm not totally sure the point you're trying to make, all I was saying if you take the entire registered player-base of HS, I would bet the vast majority do not post on the HS reddit or NeoGAF, etc

So I don't think it's a good barometer of what people think. Just the same way I always say NeoGAF in general is nowhere close to representative of most people who play video games

Also I guess it depends what your definition of "casual" is. Take me for example... I literally average less than 2 games per day. Because I don't bother to play HS every day. But I only play Face Hunter when I do. I don't care about ranking up. Not sure how that would define me as a hardcore try-hard though

Dragner

Game with Druid:

Turn 2 Innervate Piloted Shredder
Turn 3 Coin Innervate Emperor
Turn 4 Druid of the claw
Turn 5 Doctor Boom.

B A L A N C E B O Y S

I don't think I've ever beaten a face hunter deck ever (I might have a handful of times when they hit a bad draw- I feel like I play against hunters way too much). Tempted to assemble my own face hunter deck but it feels like a very autopilot style deck where the cards pretty much dictate what the player will do with no real strategic choices..

well I'm not totally sure the point you're trying to make, all I was saying if you take the entire registered player-base of HS, I would bet the vast majority do not post on the HS reddit or NeoGAF, etc

So I don't think it's a good barometer of what people think. Just the same way I always say NeoGAF in general is nowhere close to representative of most people who play video games

Also I guess it depends what your definition of "casual" is. Take me for example... I literally average less than 2 games per day. Because I don't bother to play HS every day. But I only play Face Hunter when I do. I don't care about ranking up. Not sure how that would define me as a hardcore try-hard though

Yeah I mean rank 12-13 represents the top 15-20% of the player base. I'm sure that pool as is already is high but there's a greater number of casual players that just do their own thing.

We can only go off opinions that are actually out there though.

If you're playing to win and playing optimal netdecks like Face Hunter (though I have no problem with netdecking, even my gimmick decks are netdecked), you're not casual IMO. Same if a player spends real money on packs or adventures. They're paying to accelerate their progress. If they were really casual, they wouldn't give a shit about winning.

Personally, I have had to cut down my playing time drastically recently for personal reasons (all good stuff though), so I am just doing my dailies and playing BRM as it comes out. I don't really consider myself a casual though, 'cause I still watch a ton of streams and visit HS threads on multiple forums. I've also spent more money than is sane on this game, not Yoshi level but probably more than I should have. But I don't play any other F2P games except for Path of Exile where's there's no need to spend money at all, so when I have a spare few quid, HS is where it goes.

Anyway, this is pointless. You play Face Hunter, you like it, I'm not gonna change your opinion. If you're having fun, you're having fun.

KePoW

Banned
We can only go off opinions that are actually out there though.

If you're playing to win and playing optimal netdecks like Face Hunter (though I have no problem with netdecking, even my gimmick decks are netdecked), you're not casual IMO. Same if a player spends real money on packs or adventures. They're paying to accelerate their progress. If they were really casual, they wouldn't give a shit about winning.

Personally, I have had to cut down my playing time drastically recently for personal reasons (all good stuff though), so I am just doing my dailies and playing BRM as it comes out. I don't really consider myself a casual though, 'cause I still watch a ton of streams and visit HS threads on multiple forums. I've also spent more money than is sane on this game, not Yoshi level but probably more than I should have. But I don't play any other F2P games except for Path of Exile where's there's no need to spend money at all, so when I have a spare few quid, HS is where it goes.

Anyway, this is pointless. You play Face Hunter, you like it, I'm not gonna change your opinion. If you're having fun, you're having fun.

yeah, we'll just have to see what Blizzard thinks

I hope they keep Face Hunter as effective as now (50/50) but that's strictly a selfish opinion of course

The DREAM!

I don't know about going against a Zoo Deck with secrets in play...

It'd be worth it for the first time a streamer loses to a Zoo that gets Ice Block from the Scientist.

yeah, we'll just have to see what Blizzard thinks

I hope they keep Face Hunter as effective as now (50/50) but that's strictly a selfish opinion of course

I dunno what they would even nerf though. They have already nerfed Eaglehorn and Unleash. I think I'd change Scientist to "Add a secret from your deck to your hand." but otherwise I'm stumped.

Dahbomb

If you are visiting/posting on a game forum for a particular game and using an optimized net deck then you probably aren't casual.

CoolOff

Asian arena meta is so aggressive. Was 2-0 as a Hunter, turned into 2-3 after 3 Face Paladins.

Face Paladins as in "let me put Blessing of Kings on this minion and hit you for 8 instead of doing the necessary trades". If I had any silences or UTH they'd been fucked.

Also the last one who coin + Razorfen'd into Tinkmaster turning his 1/1 Boar into a 5/5 Devilsaur didn't help proceedings. Absolutely disgusting.

It'd be worth it for the first time a streamer loses to a Zoo that gets Ice Block from the Scientist.

I dunno what they would even nerf though. They have already nerfed Eaglehorn and Unleash. I think I'd change Scientist to "Add a secret from your deck to your hand." but otherwise I'm stumped.

They will change cost of charge. What makes the deck out of control is the ability to do damage to the face and keep a minion on board. The state penalties on charge cards are basically meaningless in a face hunter deck. So hogger, wolf rider, arcane, leeroy and unleash are the cards that make the deck insane. Of those it seems arcane and hogger are candidates for change. Perhaps another tweak to unleash because its overall power level is still pretty high. Of course the other option is the hero power. Randomizing its effect seems to make general sense to me.

H3wV4LY.jpg

Get rekt with your stealth antonidas bullshit. It's not safe from me.

OTK ftw.

Aylinato

I just made a face hunter, just because I wanted to see how fast I could win. Turn 5. The dude even had the perfect removal for everything but he was at 4 health turn 4. Fucking absurd

They will change cost of charge. What makes the deck out of control is the ability to do damage to the face and keep a minion on board. The state penalties on charge cards are basically meaningless in a face hunter deck. So hogger, wolf rider, arcane, leeroy and unleash are the cards that make the deck insane. Of those it seems arcane and hogger are candidates for change. Perhaps another tweak to unleash because its overall power level is still pretty high. Of course the other option is the hero power. Randomizing its effect seems to make general sense to me.

I think you mean Huffer, not Hogger? Hogger in a Face Hunter deck would be weird.

I think Animal Companion is fine, you're getting a 4 mana minion for 3 but it's random. It's really strong as a coined 2 drop though.

I don't think I'd be in favour of a nerf to Arcane Golem either. It's a risky play against control unless it gives you lethal. It also serves as a cheap alternative to Leeroy, and I think it's important to have those options.

I'd like to nerf Knife Juggler somehow. The 1 damage is almost never bad even with the randomness.

Dahbomb

None of those cards need to be nerfed at all.

All those cards get countered by Annoyotrons and Unstable Ghouls so hard. Arcane Golem is a risky play on turn 3 as going second you can give them an early Belcher.

Dragner

Druid is so absurd right now...

Im like 8-1 vs face hunter and every game I innervate emperor is like I cannot lose. Today after the dream turn above I played vs a warrior that let emperor stay to try to silvannas it next turn, I silenced it and turn 8 I double combo him. Emperor its just old old buzzard levels of absurd.

KePoW

Banned
I think you mean Huffer, not Hogger? Hogger in a Face Hunter deck would be weird.

I think Animal Companion is fine, you're getting a 4 mana minion for 3 but it's random. It's really strong as a coined 2 drop though.

I don't think I'd be in favour of a nerf to Arcane Golem either. It's a risky play against control unless it gives you lethal. It also serves as a cheap alternative to Leeroy, and I think it's important to have those options.

I'd like to nerf Knife Juggler somehow. The 1 damage is almost never bad even with the randomness.

None of those cards need to be nerfed at all.

All those cards get countered by Annoyotrons and Unstable Ghouls so hard. Arcane Golem is a risky play on turn 3 as going second you can give them an early Belcher.

agree on Arcane Golem

I actually don't think it's super great, and like yall said I never play it until the end. It's just way too risky in the first few turns

Mad scientist... I don't feel like this card is as strong as it once was under the UT regime. Still a fairly strong card but deserving of a nerf? Not sure. It isn't gamebreaking like UT was. The tempo value is enormous but at the price of it being a secret, granted they aren't weak but they are also situational and the secret being random.

I personally don't think mad scientist breaks any decks by making them too good. If you feel that way, you might just be in an already bad match up in which case kezan mystic is a bigger value play since it removes a card from their board and places it on your board, while playing a minion.

I think if they didn't introduce kezan mystic, I would say mad scientist has to change.

Im like 8-1 vs face hunter and every game I innervate emperor is like I cannot lose. Today after the dream turn above I played vs a warrior that let emperor stay to try to silvannas it next turn, I silenced it and turn 8 I double combo him. Emperor its just old old buzzard levels of absurd.

To be fair, druid was already vastly favored against warrior. In that match up it is likely just a pure win more card tbh.

johnsmith

remember me
Man, some people do not know how to play face hunter. You silence my belcher, then use quickshot and worgen infiltrator against it? Dude.

And this dude just went quickshot to the face for 2 damage with a full hand.

Shhhhhhh

Dragner

Man, some people do not know how to play face hunter. You silence my belcher, then use quickshot and worgen infiltrator against it? Dude.

And this dude just went quickshot to the face for 2 damage with a full hand.

Face hunter takes a lot more skill that people give it credit. Its absurd how many mirrors of face hunter I win because I just hero power every turn while my opponent becomes greedy and that fails to do nothing to a timely explosive trap.

Face hunter takes a lot more skill that people give it credit. Its absurd how many mirrors of face hunter I win because I just hero power every turn while my opponent becomes greedy and that fails to do nothing to a timely explosive trap.

I really don't think so. Using hero power every turn and then playing a card is the "key" but that doesn't equal skill. That is really all there is to it, so Face hunter is as basic as it gets (especially with quickshot which fixes the only real problem which was running out of cards and hoping for a top deck - see the handlock match up).

Hektor

tfw your opponent keeps on sapping and vanquishing your Dr. Boom

Gang-up mill rogue is pretty fun to play against, though.

Malice215

Face Hunter takes skill because it takes still to stop yourself from going for face after every single turn and to play the matchup.

Dahbomb

Yes Face Hunter takes a lot more skill than people give it credit for (you need to Mulligan properly against certain match ups, Mulligan depending upon turn 1 or turn 2, calculate and optimize damage per turn and think about setting up lethal 2-3 turns in advance, whether to Kill Command a taunt or hold for finisher) but it's still the easiest top level Hearthstone deck to play by quite a margin.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
There must be a point where all face hunters do is meet face hunters and then give up

I really hope so

Been trying out the popular snake trap deck, 12-3 so far. It has a lot of the same starting cards as face hunter so it probably tricks quite a few people.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It didn't stop mech mage.

I hope all these decks meet each other at rank 5, i hope it so much, I hope they then realise how little of an achievement it was and how unfun it is to play against.

KePoW

Banned
Yes Face Hunter takes a lot more skill than people give it credit for (you need to Mulligan properly against certain match ups, Mulligan depending upon turn 1 or turn 2, calculate and optimize damage per turn and think about setting up lethal 2-3 turns in advance, whether to Kill Command a taunt or hold for finisher) but it's still the easiest top level Hearthstone deck to play by quite a margin.

this is the most accurate description

Face Hunter certainly takes some amount of thinking. Just see the examples of bad play by posters above

It just doesn't require as much thinking as other decks

Milennia

wow. so i am climbing on my warrior quite rapidly, have played maybe 11 face hunters and have not even come close to dropping a game against them with the deck, even when drawing and playing like shit some of the time.

standard control warrior just grinds them into dust basically on auto pilot

_DrMario_

So I finally have enough dust to craft another legendary. Which one should I craft next?

The ones I have so far: Ghaz'Rilla, Prophet Velen, Grommash, Cairne, Hogger, Sylvanas, Toshley and Dr Balanced.

I was thinking Rag or Alex. Or maybe there's some must have epics I could craft?

Tacitus_

The Black Knight and Harrison Jones are always nice to have. Other than that, some class legendaries like Tirion, JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION, or Antonidas are nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom