• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did a shaman kill gadgetzan conceal? Rolling the dice with lightning storm? No. They won by being capable of racing. Which I just did to an oil rogue btw just prior to this response. Fight for the board hard with fire ele, crackle, lightning storm etc..

Mana tide can also draw way more than 2 cards if used correctly. And it being a body, even a 0/3, is actually an important tempo deal. Your opponent must spend removal etc., thus having less mana to establish board etc.. You can't simply say it is a worse arcane intellect cause the cards come at the end of the turn. It has other aspects that make it strong as well. I really don't get why people say mana tide totem is weak, it makes me think they are using it wrong. Some decks run 2 mana tide totems.

Why do you assume paladin will have board more often than not? Did I mention fireguard destroyer? Shaman has a lot of tempo based cards to fight for the board early. Paladin has mostly minibot, at least unique to them. It isn't abnormal for shamans to run zombie chow as well. Also shaman can just earthshock the minibot. Such good value too.

I disagree with you saying the opponent has the choice when to trigger Volcanic drake. If they do, they are already winning anyway.

Card draw really isn't shamans problem. I think their biggest problem atm is the 4 drop slot and they are getting something amazing imo.

edit:
Gonna do a small experiment and remove my DOA's and replace them with mech yetis.

Mana tide is good in a vacuum, but in the current game where your opponent has three minions on the board and you are playing a 0/3 to get one card? It just doesn't do enough.

Nat Pagle could draw 10 cards for you too.

Mana tide is good in a vacuum, but in the current game where your opponent has three minions on the board and you are playing a 0/3 to get one card? It just doesn't do enough.

Nat Pagle could draw 10 cards for you too.

Nat Pagle is bad because of the RNG and the fact that it needs to survive an entire round just to have a chance to draw it.

Also, how is arcane intellect any better in that situation? If your opponent has 3 minions and your best play is to draw cards, sounds like you're fucked anyway. How is any card draw good in that situation? If you're last ditch effort to get back into the game is to top deck an aoe... it sounds like you probably lost and you're making the risky play because there is nothing else.

Nat Pagle is bad because of the RNG and the fact that it needs to survive an entire round just to have a chance to draw it.

Also, how is arcane intellect any better in that situation? If your opponent has 3 minions and your best play is to draw cards, sounds like you're fucked anyway. How is any card draw good in that situation? If you're last ditch effort to get back into the game is to top deck an aoe... it sounds like you probably lost and you're making the risky play because there is nothing else.

Arcane intellect gets you two cards, mana tide gets you one.

Two > one.

Ikkarus

All I can think about is 1/4 chance of getting BGH'd (goes even higher with Flametongue Totem)

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽_•︻̷̿┻̿═━一 Sniperino
I would love it if my opponent used BGH on a 4 mana card. It paves the way for Dr Balanced and Neptulon to stay on the board.

Shaman's biggest issue, in my opinion, is early game. I mean, the best 2 drop for Shaman is what, Haunted Creeper? And that's only good if you manage to pair it up with a Flametongue. For a class that relies heavily on board control there isn't much to play in the early game right now. So in a very fast/aggressive meta it's hard for Shaman to find a consistent spot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would love it if my opponent used BGH on a 4 mana card. It paves the way for Dr Balanced and Neptulon to stay on the board.

BGH gang up new meta

Shaman's biggest issue, in my opinion, is early game. I mean, the best 2 drop for Shaman is what, Haunted Creeper? And that's only good if you manage to pair it up with a Flametongue. For a class that relies heavily on board control there isn't much to play in the early game right now. So in a very fast/aggressive meta it's hard for Shaman to find a consistent spot.

dust devil coin dust devil though

Arcane intellect gets you two cards, mana tide gets you one.

Two > one.

Sigh, I guess the point is escaping you. But I guess you can nitpick a situation where 1 card is marginally better than another and claim the latter card is bad... for nearly every card in this game. That is just how card games work.

Is arcane intellect better than mana tide totem when the totem draws you 2+ cards? Nope.

Dragner

Hey. If shaman wants to draw it can draw like the best. Im running malygos OTK shaman for my quests and I rarely go under 9 cards between manatide, far sight, loot hoarder and coldlight oracle,...

The deck is slow as hell but is equally funny.

Is arcane intellect better than mana tide totem when the totem draws you 2+ cards? Nope.

Actually yes it is still better.

A) draw two cards you can use straight away
B) draw three cards, but over three turns and only at the end of your turn.

Even if you get three cards, which you never will, I'd take the two cards in hand every single time.

You are pretty much arguing that a whelp is better than fireball because it can do 7+ damage.

Actually yes it is still better.

A) draw two cards you can use straight away
B) draw three cards, but over three turns and only at the end of your turn.

Even if you get three cards, which you never will, I'd take the two cards in hand every single time.

You are pretty much arguing that a whelp is better than fireball because it can do 7+ damage.

Okay, I guess mana tide sucks and pro players like kibler suck for talking it up and including 2 in their deck and I am lying about mana tide totem being able to draw 3 cards as well cause that never happens.

I don't know why I bothered, you clearly have made up your mind. Time to move on...

Okay, I guess mana tide sucks and pro players like kibler suck for talking it up and including 2 in their deck and I am lying about mana tide totem being able to draw 3 cards as well cause that never happens.

I replied to the comparison to arcane intellect, which is just a better card.

That doesn't help Shaman at all of course.

To clarify my position though, I don't think mana tide totem is strictly better than AI or vice versa. They both fulfill similar but still differing roles with the two classes. Having a body on board is important for shaman for multiple reasons, and they have different tool sets to get value out of mana tide totem that mage never could and while arcane intellect would be a fine card for shaman to have, it still wouldn't be strictly used over mana tide totem in top decks.

And at its core, the shaman doesn't lack card draw. They have azure drakes as well. Not sure why people think shaman have card draw problems tbh. Card draw isn't the answer to falling behind which can happen to shaman due to lacking really quality minions in the early game. And fireguard destroyer is a potentially big minion to change that around.

ViviOggi

༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE,GET IN HERE ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE,GET IN HERE ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽

And at its core, the shaman doesn't lack card draw. They have azure drakes as well. Not sure why people think shaman have card draw problems tbh. Card draw isn't the answer to falling behind which can happen to shaman due to lacking really quality minions in the early game. And fireguard destroyer is a potentially big minion to change that around.

The two problems go hand in hand though. To get card draw, Shamans have to sacrifice their early minions.

I'm interested to know what you are going to leave out for fireguard destroyer? Most of the good Shaman cards pick themselves and you'll want two lava shocks I would imagine otherwise you are just asking for a 5 mana 4/6. A couple of shredders seems better to me, or making better use of unbound elementals with lava shock.

On MTT vs. AI: MTT can draw your opponent's resources while AI never will, and it provides a body. Pretty obvious they have different functions, and going "AI draws 2 cards immediately while MTT draws 1 at the end of each turn, awful card" is obviously reductive. Play MTT at the right time and you can find out a lot about your opponent's hand. Play MTT when woefully behind on the board and it cycles for 3 mana, drawing little attention, but if you're woefully behind on the board as Shaman with no way to take it back you're likely done anyway.

tylerf

Just had a face hunter try and play Leeroy for the win while I had a knife juggler on board. Both knives hit Leeroy to kill him and I won the next turn. I don't know if anything in this game besides making legend can be that satisfying.

Dragner

Just had a face hunter try and play Leeroy for the win while I had a knife juggler on board. Both knives hit Leeroy to kill him and I won the next turn. I don't know if anything in this game besides making legend can be that satisfying.

I was on the face hunter once that happened, I just played the Leeroy for BM the juggler killed him, my opp started the BM against me then skill commanded to death. The rage.

Have to try face hunter with quick skillshot, I didnt touch the deck since last season, I think I can make it golden easily if I tried (150 wins last season...50 the very first day playing it for like 1 week).

Brofist

Mech mage is far worse than facehunter and much more brainless.

Really? I think mech mage requires a little more thinking by default, since trading is sometimes necessary. Same with zoolock, good trades and clearing the board is a must.

Visceir

Got the daily quest to spectate someone. Would be cool if someone could help me out with that, add me Kasp #2205 (EU server)

Raytow

Emperor so good, favorite legendary along with Loatheb and Dr. Balanced. These 3 do so much work in a handlock deck.

Rapstah

Shaman may have issues with early game but I refuse to accept the claim that they don't have any 2-drops. Whirling Zap-o-matic is insane.

Bizazedo

Just came back after a long hiatus. Something about this Mech version of Zoo / Mechs in general bugs me way more than Zoo did.

Might be the amount of minions that turn into additional minions after death. Might be the fact that two different opponents got Patient Assassin as their additional, which fucked my big minions up.

zoukka

Just came back after a long hiatus. Something about this Mech version of Zoo / Mechs in general bugs me way more than Zoo did.

Might be the amount of minions that turn into additional minions after death. Might be the fact that two different opponents got Patient Assassin as their additional, which fucked my big minions up.

Yeah shredders are shit card design.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While I personally doubt the leaks I guess in theory if we go by how Goblins and the Android tablet release and stuff that in theory we could get a phone version this Thurs.

I still think it's not near ready, and we are looking at a late Spring/Summer release.

jblank83

So what does everyone think of the new board?

It's a hundred times better than the garbage GvG board. Rocket board is so visually oppressive. I have to fire the rocket every time just so it looks less cluttered. Also, getting rid of the bombs takes too many button clicks.

The new board looks very "WoW", if that makes any sense, very fantasy and cartoony and all. The little tricks are easy to do, like the original boards, so they're amusing but not too distracting. And the sound effects are nice.

I'm happy with it.

Raytow

Best pack ever
HZR4HPv.jpg
Also got a King Krush from a free pack, too bad I won't ever use him or Tinkmaster, Tirion though...

Also does anyone listen to any good Hearthstone podcasts? I'd prefer something that doesn't get to into the weeds so to speak.

i really like the happy hearthstone but it can take brakes at times. on the most recent episode they said they will try to do 2 a month. 1 battle episode where a challenger brings a deck and they explain in and it battles against the current champ deck. and 1 episode that is more strategy that usually features scott lantz who is really good at breaking things down. you can look at the titles of their past episodes to find episodes that interest you as most of their shows have a topic. highly recommended

i have listened to a few others recently trying to find one i like after i burned through all the happy hearthstone ones. they are:

unstable portal - a more seasoned player and his newish to hearthstone friend talk about things.

the angry chicken - its also a video podcast but most of the time its not needed but they interviewed ben thompson recently who i think is the art director or something on the game and so that ones worth watching because they show various things like prototypes.

golden wisp: a competitive podcast - as the title suggests they also cover matches between pros and talk about what they are seeing in the meta. ive only heard a few episodes but i think they use to give decks that they used but now they are taking in listener decks and talking about them and offering advice on changes to the deck if needed. i made a mage control deck from their episode 18 and i like it

legend of the innkeeper: a hearthstone podcast for casuals - this is a father and daughter and then other guy podcast. they have shows like constructing your first shamen deck and went through all the classes. so i will go back and listen to some of those for the classes i don't play much.

there isnt a need to listen to all of these as there is a lot of crossover but if i had to rank them i would go happy hearthstone, the angry chicken or golden wisp, legend of the innkeeper and the unstable portal.

there is also a podcast called well met but i havent checked it out yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom