• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best pack ever

Also got a King Krush from a free pack, too bad I won't ever use him or Tinkmaster, Tirion though...

king krush is so fun to play the way it like lands on the board. i was messing around with a deathrattle shamen deck that didnt win enough but was so fun when it worked. anyway i threw tinkmaster in that since it was a "fun" deck but took him out after a couple games. if you could select the minion tinkmaster could transform i would use him but since its random its too crazy. i dont have tirion but could craft him but im messing a decent amount of pally cards so holding off for now but thats a great pack

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So I bought some packs...got 3 legendaries in 6

Tirion, Ysera, Black Knight

What

um ok

2 Tirions in 8 packs

What the fuck

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
1KoPwAH.jpg

8EK1Keo.jpg

PGw0yTF.jpg

Already had copies of each

That must be statistically rediculously lucky

Mr Cola

I have tirion finally, I enjoy it. Whenever dragons come out I'm going to switch to paladin dragon with holy wrath

Yeah definitely, Gonna hold onto these incase I can get the full dust if they change any of the cards, unlikely but no pressing need ot dust them yet.

Pandacon

Hey all, I've been playing on and off since the games release. Most of my decks are pretty gimpy, only Legendaries I have are Bloodmage, Ysera and Rag, though I crafted Ysera. I had a couple crappy legendaries which I already dusted. I mostly play Druid, but recently made a Priest deck I really like, though I mostly play at work, and my rank stays pretty low because I often have to go afk.

If anyone wants to friend me shoot an invite to "Pandacon", I could use it since I got that spectator quest, and questing is really the only way I get packs nowadays.

Bizazedo

Put in Mekgineer Thermaplug in a Paladin deck that had every Aspect dragon / big creatures.

He actually won the game versus a Mage, mage had nothing but little dudes and spawned sooooo many Leper Gnomes running into him. Couldn't stop chuckling after every one spawned.

People realize you can X out one quest per day and get a new one right?

i do now but i didnt for like my first few months. also i heard on one of the podcasts if you have more then three quests built up as long as you dont x out any quests it will store up to 6 but if you x any of them the ones in the reserve that you can see go away.

Bizazedo

i do now but i didnt for like my first few months. also i heard on one of the podcasts if you have more then three quests built up as long as you dont x out any quests it will store up to 6 but if you x any of them the ones in the reserve that you can see go away.
I don't think this is true....? I've had a 4th one appear, but not often, and usually just get 3 after prolonged breaks.

Maybe I hit X, though, I dunno.

That quest is for a pack..I just got it too and I'm on NA server. I'll post my info when I get home from work today

It would be hilarious if they replaced the 100 gold quest with this one.

Magnus

While I personally doubt the leaks I guess in theory if we go by how Goblins and the Android tablet release and stuff that in theory we could get a phone version this Thurs.

I still think it's not near ready, and we are looking at a late Spring/Summer release.

What. Where is this leak?

Aylinato

i have no cards on usa serv :(

You could always add me and watch me play various decks.
Decks I have: mill Druid, mill rogue, handlock, face hunter(I haven't deleted it), not yet demonlock but I would, a priest for when I get sick of fucking face hunters, and sometimes this Mage deck with only spells that wrecks for some odd reason because no one expects 6 AoE spells

Put in Mekgineer Thermaplug in a Paladin deck that had every Aspect dragon / big creatures.

He actually won the game versus a Mage, mage had nothing but little dudes and spawned sooooo many Leper Gnomes running into him. Couldn't stop chuckling after every one spawned.

Against this shaman(poor dude) I stole his thermaplug with slyvanna and I had 7 leper gnomes in 2 turns. 14 damage because he had to lighting storm it

ViviOggi

ez 3 damage lightning storm roll on entire board
smile.gif

me hand empty
whatever ill just topdick fire ele into fire ele into alakir

fuck this idiotic class

Bizazedo

fuck this idiotic class

I can honestly say I had less fun playing this past week than I did a few months ago. I can't put my finger on why, though? Shredders? Seems rather simplistic. My decks suck now that people have evolved? Maybe, I dunno.

Maybe it just feels like there's nothing I can do now whereas before it felt like I made (more) poor decisions when I lost.

I had some fun, don't get me wrong. Salvaging a game versus Priest where I was at one life by two amazing Ragnaros RNG shots, including hitting an Onyxia right after she was cast (so he had a ton of targets), salvaging another game where I was at two....but in general.....

Aylinato

So I had my first proper go at Arena today. As you might expect I didn't do very well (1-3) but I got a pack and 30 gold out of it, so I'm only 20 gold down which is less bad than I expected.

Can anyone check out my arena session and tell me what I did wrong? I used this guide and this arena tierlist.

I average 5-7 wins in arena. Mostly my loses seem to happen vs decks that must be 12-0

Did anyone else notice that the shredder doesn't drop the useless units?

Xanathus

So I had my first proper go at Arena today. As you might expect I didn't do very well (1-3) but I got a pack and 30 gold out of it, so I'm only 20 gold down which is less bad than I expected.

Can anyone check out my arena session and tell me what I did wrong? I used this guide and this arena tierlist.

Use http://www.heartharena.com/ instead, it detects card synergies as well. I only skimmed through your deck selection process but it looks like you missed out on some good mechs when you had Blastmage.
edit: I mean use the tool rather than looking at the tierlist

Dahbomb

Well just going to write down stuff as I see:

*Felt like Scarlet Crusader over the other two options was a mistake... I don't know what Heartharena gave as higher value but Scarlet Crusader gets wrecked in a Mage infested arena.

*You also picked Kobold Geomancer over Water Elemental and Silverhand Knight. I would've picked Silverhand Knight there as you already had enough 4 drops there.

*You picked Goldshire Footman over a solid 2 drop............... never pick Goldshire Footman that's a very cliche rookie mistake.

*Game 1: You didn't Mulligan the 5 drop. That was a mistake right from the get go. The rest of the hand was good but it can always be better (like you could've gotten a 3 or a 4 drop).

Instead of pinging off the Totem you should've dropped down your 2 drop to build more board presence. Getting momentum/tempo in the early game is crucial to doing well in Arena.

You actually did this twice and on turn 3 you did Coin into hero power into a 2 drop.. which was a weak turn. It wasn't that terrible because you at least had a follow up but overall not that great of a play.

After getting your 2 drop killed by the weapon you play ANOTHER 2 drop to feed him. You should've played a 4 drop who would've survived the weapon hit at the minimum.

And yet again instead of building up the board with a 5 drop you instead just Frostbolt the 4 drop. At this point you have a hand filled with 3 4 drops, 1 5 drop and 1 6 drop and its turn 6. At least you dropped the 6 drop on curve to combat the other player's 6 drop Ogre.

The next play you made was the correct play... you could not have let the 5/4 Whirlomatic on the board when your board was weak so you did right Polymorphing it. However after that you made a big mistake in pinging down the totem... you should've killed his craze alchemist with your 1/6 minion + hero power. This resulted in him killing your Goldshire footman for free.

After these series of plays you had basically lost the game. Another example of a bad play was when you had 6 mana to work with and instead of dropping a stealth 5 drop minion you dropped a 5/4 4 drop. You need to make MAXIMUM usage of your mana at all times if possible.

*Game 2. This time you mulligan'd fine by keeping the 2 drop and 3 drop. I personally would've mulliganed away the 2 drop as well because it's a bad 2 drop in general but your deck already lacked good 2 drops.

Rookie mistake coining out the Kobold Geomancer with NO 2 drop follow up. That's one of the worst mistakes you can make in hearthstone. You usually coin when the play is strong... this is the 2nd least powerful play you can make and the only way this could've been weaker if you did coin into Hero power. This didn't have any disastrous effect in this game as the player failed to follow up on his 3 drop but in future games this could've costed you the game.

Next play you made a super, super greedy play. You needed to kill the Yeti right away or he would've 2 for oned you. You put out the dog and buffed your Worgen with hero power which would've allowed you to do 5 damage to face and killed the Yeti (essentially trading up with your Worgen). However you were greedy and went all face. He punished your play by killing the dog with the Yeti and killing the Worgen BASICALLY FOR FREE by using Bomber plus Hero power. You are now very behind in board because of the previous greedy play.

The next two plays you made were good, it actually put you back in the game. However after he put down the Spiteful Smith you made another bad mistake by using the Flamecannon. That minion is PRIME for a Fireball and you went greedy trying to take it out with the Flamecannon which almost back fired.

Next play you put down a Cultmaster on an empty board. NEVER DO THAT! You want to put it down when you are about to trade (and kill off) your minions. That allowed him to get a free kill on Cultmaster... a crucial card that could've put you back in the game.

Next turn you were forced to waste a Poly on a 4 drop, further digging your own grave.

*Game 3 the other Mage didn't have any minions in hand.... absolutely lousy hand which allowed you to rush him down. There wasn't much to say here.

*Game 4 On turn 4 you basically wasted your Frostbolt killing the Acolyte when you could've killed it with your Spider Tank and developed the board with your Darkiron Dwarf.

After a while you failed to play Boulderfist on curve and you didn't attack with your Tiger when you needed to which resulted in him getting the free kill with Poison Seeds which was unfortunate but still. This play lost you the game as he followed it up with Starfall which was a devastating combo and again you played Cultmaster without trading your minions which could've resulted in you gaining card advantage instead of being put into top deck mode.

Danj

Well just going to write down stuff as I see:

Thanks for your advice, it's really detailed and helpful.

It'll probably be a while before I attempt arena again as it takes too long to save up the gold and it seems like it'd be more worth my time to spend gold on packs as I am lacking a lot of cards that folks in here seem to consider as essential.

ViviOggi

Drafting mistakes (these are only the glaring ones, there were some choices I would have made differently but they're negligible)

3 Fairy Drake > Scarlet Crusader
7 Snowchugger >>>>>>>>> Cult Master - Cult Master is a good card in arena but you already had one. It's an incredibly poor 4-drop without minions to trade away and you didn't have any 2-drops at this point, of which Snowchugger is one of the best you're gonna get
13 Snowchugger > Spectral Knight - you're almost halfway through your draft and still don't have a single 2-drop except for Dire Wolf whose 2/2 are very weak when dropped on an empty board. Spectral is strong but picking it over another Chugga is extremely greedy
14 Loot Hoarder > Dark Iron Dwarf - what are you going to buff with the Dwarf with a curve that heavy? Loot Hoarder is very solid
21 You picked a Geomancer over a third Water Ele or Silver Hand Knight. Easily the worst choice as you only have a Flamecannon and a Fireball for the spellpower while Silver Hand Knight would have fit your curve well and it's impossible to have too many Water Eles
22 Ship's Cannon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Goldshire Footman - Footman is one of the worst minions in the entire game while Ship's Cannon is a solid 2/3 even without any pirates

First game

- Mulligan: you kept this entire hand. Worgen and Frostbolt are fine, considering how you're lacking solid twos due to drafting mistakes holding onto the Geomancer is probably okay too (with a better draft you'd fish for solid 2-drops stats-wise, the spellpower is meaningless when you can't cement an early board and a 2/2 is going to get value traded by your opponent), but the Tiger is inexcusable. You need either a 3 or, since you have the coin, a 4. With this mulligan you're setting yourself up for an empty turn 4, which is incidentally the most important power turn in arena as the power difference between 3- and 4-drops is HUGE.
- turn 2: You should have just dropped a Geomancer as it trades favorably with your opponent's 1/1, but puts a minion on the board. He gave you the perfect opportunity to take over the board and set up a turn 3 coined Violet Teacher, which would have been an insane tempo swing considering he even hero powered again on turn 3. Keeping the Worgen stealthed is correct.
- turn 3: You ping another 1/1 but at least use the coin to finally put down the Geomancer, which a Powermace removes easily next turn. You should have just ignored the totem and finally get the Violet Teacher out, you can ping the totem next turn but he won't have a simple answer to a 3/5.
- turn 4: This is by far the biggest one yet. You have a decently curving hand and 4 mana to spend on an empty board. This is what you did. What? I seriously can't even process this, instead of dropping the perfectly fine Violet Teacher or Blastmage you play a 2/2 right into his Powermace and ping face for 1? Maybe you wanted to set up the spellpower for the Frostbolt or something but aside from the obvious floating 2 mana on the key turn 4 you already know that your opponent is going to kill the Geomancer without spending any mana. I'm typing this as I watch and I wouldn't be surprised if this turn lost you the entire game.
Turns out your opponent rather kept his Powermace to buff a Zapomatic three turns later instead of taking the aforementioned, juicy trade, still you can't bank on your opponents being idiots if you want to go past 3 wins. Regardless, he value trades your Geomancer later on and you're forced to Polymorph a 2 mana minion.
- turn 7: Killing totems is good, but when you have to make a choice like here you always remove the minion that can attack, especially when it kills your Footman for free next turn. The healing totem matters even less as your opponent would have been left with only a 1 health sheep.
- turn 8: Presented with this board state you decide to use your Ogre, a ping (2 mana) and the Rifleman to clear his three one health minions, completely ignoring the 7 attack Salty Doge. The correct play was killing the 2/1 with the Ogre, ignoring the other tokens and simply dropping the two Blastmages. When you can't efficiently clear the board you have to drop the most stats you can to challenge their minions. Instead you ended up with a crappy 2/2 and floating 3 mana.
- turn 9: Now you're forced to polymorph the 7/3 Doge which, while the correct play in this situation, is awful value for a top tier removal like Polymorph. Left with 5 mana you inexplicably drop a 5/4 Blastmage instead of an on-curve stealthed 5/5? He's going to clear the Blastmage easily with a Flametongue which wouldn't have worked on the Tiger.

From here on out you're never able to clear the Flametongue and just get value traded to oblivion due to an unfortunate lack of AoE. Not getting those Flamestrikes is something that happens, however in this game you had ample opportunity to propel ahead in tempo and take over the board for good.

Dahbomb
headshot.gif

ViviOggi

Also despite maybe coming off a bit harsh for your first arena it's not the end of the world. I see plenty of similar misplays in the first matches of a run - this opening from a 0-0 opponent certainly takes the cake recently, I don't think it's possible to go more dennis. Poor lopey, compared to him you played like a god.

Going forward I would suggest watching some arena streamers to get a feel for maximizing value and focusing on getting a good curve during your draft, which I believe the guide you linked goes into as well. Like you said, even at 1-3 you only lost 30 gold, so it's easy to chalk that one up to a learning experience.

Dahbomb

Also despite maybe coming off a bit harsh for your first arena it's not the end of the world. I see plenty of similar misplays in the first matches of a run - this opening from a 0-0 opponent certainly takes the cake recently, I don't think it's possible to go more dennis. Poor lopey, compared to him you played like a god.
Goldshire Footman, Angry Chicken AND Target Dummy opening play?

All he was missing was the Wisp for the greatest worst opening play in Hearthstone of all time.

Hektor

My opponent just unbalanced portal'd into Millhouse Manastorm and i didnt had a single useful spell in my hand.
wut.gif

€: I really think "unsilence" should be a thing.

Danj

€: I really think "unsilence" should be a thing.

That would be so awesome, I can't count the number of times some bastard silenced my really useful minions with an Ironbeak Owl or that "Your magic shall not save you" guy.

In other news, that feel when you get a legendary "The Beast" off of a Webspinner deathrattle.

Aww yiss. (the other player conceded after I played it, heh)

Clearly he was just trying to build a hobgoblin deck in Arena.

I love the little tune those guys hum when you play them.

Heropon

I'm having a lot of fun with this Grim Patron deck. Emperor Balance is also perfect to get some nasty combos like Warsong Commander + Grim Patron + Commanding Shout for 7 mana the next turn.

Aw it sucks we have to wait another 3 days for more cards.
cry.gif

I'm not that hyped about this week's card set either. (Or even the third week, but the fourth week looks great)

Druid of the flame, blackwing technician, imp gang boss, majordomo, axe flinger, and lava shock.
sleeping.gif

I guess lava shock is interesting at least.
techies.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom