• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

egruntz

shelaughz
Just realized why I never tried taking Hearthstone seriously.

Blizzard has no interest in keeping it balanced.

This Face meta sure is fuuuuuuuuuun

Dahbomb

I think the huge swings in RNG (build into the cards on top of the inherent RNGs from card games in general) is a much bigger problem competitively for Hearthstone than balance (very few competitive video games are perfectly balanced and that is especially the case for card games where class power keeps changing with cards being introduced).

Like that whole Amaz vs Trump game today was just a roller coaster of RNG mechanics.

*Trump gets lucky Huffer roll for extra damage to the face.

*Amaz gets lucky rolling 4 Imps from killing the Huffer.

*Trump gets lucky on the Knife Juggler rolls to clear the 4 Imp Implosions.

*Amaz gets lucky getting a Malganis from a Bane of Doom to prevent a lethal play.

*Amaz is able to hold off Trump's aggression with a Malganis from his hand and the only way for Trump to win is to top dick a Silence... which he does to win the game.

The last one is just inherent to card games but the rest is exclusive Hearthstone BS which resulted in that final situation. And this is IMO a very tame example of some of the RNG that happens even in competitive play.

Pooya

I enjoy playing rogue a lot lately but don't have preparation and without if often it just doesn't work. epics need to be cheaper, can't bring myself to spend 800 dust here :\

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow, I opened a pack of classic cards tonight and got this:

Pae1Ieb.png

Golden Deathwing!!!!

Can't see me ever using it though. Honestly I think I may just dust it and use the newfound wealth to craft a lot of the basic rares and such that I'm still missing, maybe even another legendary or two.

On the other hand, what are my chances of ever pulling another golden Deathwing again? Ah decisions....

Pooya

My Patrons got hit by Blizzard and the copies got frozen too after they spawned but didn't take any damage. This is gotta be a bug? ruined my game.

Slashlen

My Patrons got hit by Blizzard and the copies got frozen too after they spawned but didn't take any damage. This is gotta be a bug? ruined my game.

It probably did 2 damage to all minions(creating the copies) and then froze all minions(now including the copies). I doubt it's a bug.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I enjoy playing rogue a lot lately but don't have preparation and without if often it just doesn't work. epics need to be cheaper, can't bring myself to spend 800 dust here :\

Yeah, I can't bring myself to craft an epic but I also am missing preps. The mill deck seems super fun too.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've played 3 games in a row in Arena where I had Sylvanas in hand. Granted I didn't need her to win but I realize I'm a bit confused on how to play her. All 3 times, I've had the beefiest hero on the board and they would either have a bunch of small minions or the board would be clear. Do I hold her in my hand until they play something worth stealing, or do I drop her even though their side doesn't have much (bunch of weenie heroes/nothing)?

It's really hard to get a big minion off of Sylvanus even in constructed, and it's even harder in arena where there are less big minions. I'd say definitely be ok with stealing a small minion. Even taking a 1/1 is value, thinking about it as remove a 1/1 plus summon a 1/1. A 2/3 or 3/2 should be considered a really good steal.

On an empty board, you might as well play something else if you have something else good to play, but it's fine to play her then too. You're not just thinking about what is on board to steal but what could be on board next turn. It just sucks if they use a removal, but you can't play around removals too much.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think the huge swings in RNG (build into the cards on top of the inherent RNGs from card games in general) is a much bigger problem competitively for Hearthstone than balance (very few competitive video games are perfectly balanced and that is especially the case for card games where class power keeps changing with cards being introduced).

Like that whole Amaz vs Trump game today was just a roller coaster of RNG mechanics.

*Amaz gets lucky getting a Malganis from a Bane of Doom to prevent a lethal play.

*Amaz is able to hold off Trump's aggression with a Malganis from his hand and the only way for Trump to win is to top dick a Silence... which he does to win the game.

The last one is just inherent to card games but the rest is exclusive Hearthstone BS which resulted in that final situation. And this is IMO a very tame example of some of the RNG that happens even in competitive play.

I find RNG bad for newcomers as well. Trump and Amaz can tell when they lose because of RNG and they lose because of bad play, but newcomers will often think RNG is the only reason they lost. Or not blaming they should, and thinking certain plays are better than they really are because of it, like with Crackle.

It makes a hard to learn game even harder to learn.

Fixed1979

Shit, I somehow started 0-2 in arena then went 5-2...was cruzing and then ran into a beast of a shaman, at one point he had mech yeti an 8/6 piloted sky golem (from power mace) he then plays sneeds plus reincarnate and pulls a rag...gg I probably could have set myself up better, but even with my best draw it would have been difficult to get by that guy.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can't see me ever using it though. Honestly I think I may just dust it and use the newfound wealth to craft a lot of the basic rares and such that I'm still missing, maybe even another legendary or two.

Dusting a golden legendary for dime-a-dozen rares?

Dude, come on.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just played mill rogue who mismanaged hand and milled his second vanish.

Well played boss.

Also my aggro paladin has been putting in work.

EmiPrime

I'm still bitter that miracle rogue got nerfed while face Hunter and mech mage get left alone or buffed.

Mad scientist is long overdue a nerf.

Pooya

face hunter loses, sends friend request,I accept then tells me to "suck a dick", even face hunters have feelings, I thought otherwise. The game needs some way to report players like this.

Aylinato

face hunter loses, sends friend request,I accept then tells me to "suck a dick", even face hunters have feelings, I thought otherwise. The game needs some way to report players like this.

I'm actually surprised there's no report in this game, I've seen some horrible names so far

Levi

Banned
Disenchanted my Golden Pagle and decided to use all the dust I've been hoarding. Crafted Al'Akir, Neptulon, Malygos, Nozdormu and Onyxia.

Now I'm only missing 15 legendaries, and the only ones I don't have that I actually want are Van Cleef and Blingtron. If they ever nerf Dr. Boom I'll DE my golden Boom and craft both of those.

JesseZao

Disenchanted my Golden Pagle and decided to use all the dust I've been hoarding. Crafted Al'Akir, Neptulon, Malygos, Nozdormu and Onyxia.

Now I'm only missing 15 legendaries, and the only ones I don't have that I actually want are Van Cleef and Blingtron. If they ever nerf Dr. Boom I'll DE my golden Boom and craft both of those.

You crafted Nozdormu?!

Dahbomb

I have actually warmed up to Rend Blackhand. I didn't think much of the card when it was first unveiled but the more I think about it... the more I think it's a great fit in a Paladin Dragon Deck.

It's basically a slightly more expensive Black Knight when you think about it (that's 6 mana 4/5). Black Knight is pretty much useless against aggro which was the number one complaint people had about Rend Blackhand. Also Black Knight isn't going to hit many taunts in aggro decks either so it's about as useless as Rend Blackhand (minus the random 4/4 Hunter taunt or Annoyotrons).

Pretty much every Control deck runs some Legendaries... everyone is running Emperor Balanced which is a straight up kill for Rend Blackhand because it comes right after Emperor Balanced! (sort of like how Black Knight comes the turn after Belcher)

Even if you kill this card with a BGH... that's one less BGH for your dragons you have to worry about. Even if you run a 2 mana 3/2 into this card or a Shredder you have still gotten value with this card by killing a Legendary with it.

I think the biggest problem with this card is actually dealing with the other 2 big Legendaries in the meta currently... Dr Balanced and Sylvanas. You can never use this against Sylvanas unless you have a board full of cheap 1/1s (possible but not problem) and the Boom Bots can potentially kill it (hell just one Boom Bot can kill Rend Blackhand). That is the actual weakness of the card... is that it's weak against the two of the strongest Legendaries out there currently.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rend would be better in a slower meta. He does basically nothing against any sort of aggro deck. BGH can at least give you a serviceable 3-drop in a pinch. Rend would just sit in your hand.

I think the problem with Dragon Paladin right now is that it's not the greatest against aggro. Rend just exacerbates that problem.

Danj

Still haven't received a legendary card from booster packs.

Getting destroyed.

Went from 17 to now 19.

Yeah me either, all my legendaries came from Naxxramas.

I get to play legendaries vicariously though, I seem to get them a lot off of Webspinner deathrattles when playing Hunter.

Dragner

This is month is the one Im playing the least (I Blame you BloodBorne), only 4-5 ranked matches a day to clear quests...And somewhat Im rank 6, My winrate is absurdly high with my Druid deck for the time I play the game (Im somewhere near 75%). Last month I climbed rank 10 in one day then fall to ranks around 15 for almost 10 days to finish 5...

Wondering If I should focus on push to legend...But BloodBorne is BloodBorne.

CRS

"Why is my opponent making this weird trades?"

"Minions,Servants,..

"Oh,sh..."

There's only so many removals and as funny as it sounds, I wish he was a 7/8 instead of 6. But I guess that says more about the game's balance with BGH than anything else.

I like runny Fatigue Mage a lot and it's frustrating that I can't take it out since I don't have a Polymorph in my hand or already used them on other cards. And now with Emperor Thaurissan in every deck, I have to save one for him.

I'm just sad that Fatigue Mage is getting harder and harder to play. :(

Maximo

It's honestly why I enjoy watching Hearthstone much more then playing, I mean I enjoy playing the game but I definitely watch Funniest Moments/Best Plays/Tournaments more then actually playing it.

Zemm

Yeah I think the game is a terrible competitive one, like bottom tier shit, but watching Forsens Dr boom getting hit by 2 x 4 dmg boombots whilst he has 3 other targets on the board is some of the funniest shit you'll see all week. That owl last night for trump is hilarious, I love seeing shit like that even though it's complete luck. I love watching streamers get angry as fuck, I love watching people at LAN tournaments try not to get angry as fuck. Memories.

FeD.nL

Wow, I opened a pack of classic cards tonight and got this:

Golden Deathwing!!!!

On the other hand, what are my chances of ever pulling another golden Deathwing again? Ah decisions....

The way the cards have been going expect this one next card set

Just kidding

Don't know if you DE'ed it yet but if you need some of the staple legendaries I'd go for that.

ViviOggi

It's funny how on the one hand Hearthstone is one of the easiest games to stream full time, on the other to become successful you have to participate in all these ridiculous coin flip tournaments. Only the luckiest streamers will ever reach Trump status where they can do whatever and still get 20k viewers consistently.

Xanathus

It's funny how on the one hand Hearthstone is one of the easiest games to stream full time, on the other to become successful you have to participate in all these ridiculous coin flip tournaments. Only the luckiest streamers will ever reach Trump status where they can do whatever and still get 20k viewers consistently.

Eh Trump got famous not because he was very good but because he streamed consistently and was pleasant and got in early when there weren't many other streamers. You don't really have to participate or even in tourneys to be famous although it's one of the paths, but it's more important to be interesting to watch and fulfill a niche e.g. being an "arena" guy like Kripp, Ratsmah, Guardsman Bob, being super reactive to chat, or having boobs.

Celegus

This is month is the one Im playing the least (I Blame you BloodBorne), only 4-5 ranked matches a day to clear quests...And somewhat Im rank 6, My winrate is absurdly high with my Druid deck for the time I play the game (Im somewhere near 75%). Last month I climbed rank 10 in one day then fall to ranks around 15 for almost 10 days to finish 5...

Wondering If I should focus on push to legend...But BloodBorne is BloodBorne.

Bloodborne!!

Rapstah

Will Amaz actually voice act Axe Flinger in the Taiwanese version of the game and Imp Gang Boss in the mainland Chinese version of the game or were those just recording sessions organised by Blizzard for fun?

Special C

Yeah, I can't bring myself to craft an epic but I also am missing preps. The mill deck seems super fun too.

I enjoy playing rogue a lot lately but don't have preparation and without if often it just doesn't work. epics need to be cheaper, can't bring myself to spend 800 dust here :

It was hard for me too. It's hard to swallow the dust, especially for class cards. It's worth it though. I finally crafted 2 preps and 2 ancient of Lores and I'm glad I did. Its hard to play rogue or druid competitively without them.

CoolOff

Playing some Mech Warrior. Dropping Warbot turn 1 against Face Hunter is like the most satisfying thing ever, you can just taste the salt. They struggle so much with it.

I mean, I die by turn 4 anyway because they're broken as fuck, but that moment is priceless.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Don't know if you DE'ed it yet but if you need some of the staple legendaries I'd go for that.

I've decided I'm going to keep it for now. My card collection is only at like 33% complete, I still need so many cards, I'm even missing a lot of popular basics and rares, not to mention most epics and legendaries. And with dragon decks possibly becoming a thing soon, I'm just gonna hold onto it and see. Maybe down the line when (if?) I get a more fleshed out and complete card set and I still need a bit of dust to fill in some gaps, then I'll reconsider dusting it.

For now, I've got a golden legendary Deathwing God Damnit! Now I just need to change all of my decks so that I can always play it!

FeD.nL

decklist?

f592y34.png

I've decided I'm going to keep it for now. My card collection is only at like 33% complete, I still need so many cards, I'm even missing a lot of popular basics and rares, not to mention most epics and legendaries. And with dragon decks possibly becoming a thing soon, I'm just gonna hold onto it and see. Maybe down the line when (if?) I get a more fleshed out and complete card set and I still need a bit of dust to fill in some gaps, then I'll reconsider dusting it.

For now, I've got a golden legendary Deathwing God Damnit! Now I just need to change all of my decks so that I can always play it!

Ah ok, yeah golden Legendaries are great :D, grats on the pull btw.

Having one of those Arena runs right now. Draft what I thought was a strong Pally deck. First match is a mirror who gets Zombie Chow -> Shielded Minibot -> Spider Tank -> Piloted Shredder T1-4, but still loses control soon after. I think I've probably won since my deck runs pretty deep. He comes back and outlasts me with 2x Stormwind Champion, 1x Lay on Hands, 1x War Golem, 2x Truesilver, 2x Guardian of Kings, 1x Piloted Sky Golem, 1x FT MAX, 1x Defender of Argus. Damn. Next game I play an aggro Warlock and we contest the board hard, deplete all our resources and drop low on life. I look to be winning out, using Coghammer to get a Taunt/Divine Shield 5/5 while he's topdecking and leave him facing lethal (I have 11 HP, him less). He topdecks Deathwing. Well, fuck. 0-2. Let's see if I can turn this around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom