• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah it unlocks crystals both this turn and for the next turn.

And Lava Shock won't be good until Fireguard comes out. Then you can see big tempo push with stuff like Unbound, Fireguard, Lava Shock + Feral Spirits, Flame Elemental. Mid range Overload deck essentially.

Currently Lava Shock will only see play in the Malygos Shaman deck which is still gimmicky as fuck because the win condition relies on a single card.

Right, but in the example I quoted, Fireguard applies 1 overload on turn 4 that goes into effect on turn 5, so on turn 5 you have 4 mana to work with. I would think that playing Lava Shock would unlock that 1 crystal, so now you have 3 and can cast Lightning Storm, but won't that just add 2 overload to next turn? Lava Shock was already played, so how does it clear the overload applied after that?

I haven't played with the card yet, but doesn't it only unlock crystals that are already locked or remove the locks that are already in place? Like, if you play Lava Shock then Lightning Storm, won't you still have two overloaded crystals next turn? I would think that you would have to play Lightning Storm then Lava Shock, but you couldn't do it in that order because of the overload from Fireguard.
Yes, if you overload more crystals AFTER playing Lava Shock they will still get locked unless you play another Lava Shock.

https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/575346856806346752

I haven't played with the card yet, but doesn't it only unlock crystals that are already locked or remove the locks that are already in place? Like, if you play Lava Shock then Lightning Storm, won't you still have two overloaded crystals next turn? I would think that you would have to play Lightning Storm then Lava Shock, but you couldn't do it in that order because of the overload from Fireguard.

From my understanding that's how it works. I don't think it can unlock mana crystals that aren't overloaded yet.

jblank83

I think Onyxia, Ysera, and Twilight Drake is enough to get started.

Still don't think Hungry Dragon is the least bit OP. Seems underwhelming to me.

It's not Hungry Dragon.

It's Drakonid Crusher, Dragonkin Sorcerer, Nefarian, and Chromaggus. Those are all solid cards and will make Dragon Paladin a scary thing. Not that Ysera, Onyxia, Twilight, and Azure are bad cards. But the amount of dragons is still lacking, so hitting with Dragon Consort may still be more miss than hit.

The other issue is those who don't have Ysera and Onyxia. However, once Blackrock is completed, everyone will have Nefarian, Chromaggus, and the rest. So you'll see many more people running Dragon Paladin.

inky

Wing 2 done. The 3rd Heroic was way easier than last weeks IMO. What did others use for the 2nd Heroic boss? I tried Mill Rogue just for fun but it actually worked after I got a SS in my opening hand to dodge the Hero Power.

Warlock with Jaraxxus. Still making my way through Rag, but I was super close to beating him already. (Put me exactly at 8 and got me with his hero power when I had lethal and 5 minions on board).

Ideally you want to play lava shock last, but during the class challenge just using it to unlock 3 mana to then play doomhammer was pretty strong. I think I had 4 mana, 3 overload. So lava shock spent 2, to recover 3, giving me 5 to play doomhammer which also happened to add up to being lethal.

I'm definitely going to try some shaman when I get to playing later tonight. Still, Fireguard Destroyer is just crazy good. Need that from week 4. Lots of good stuff still coming.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's not Hungry Dragon.

It's Drakonid Crusher, Dragonkin Sorcerer, Nefarian, and Chromaggus. Those are all solid cards and will make Dragon Paladin a scary thing. Not that Ysera, Onyxia, Twilight, and Azure are bad cards. But the amount of dragons is still lacking, so hitting with Dragon Consort may still be more miss than hit.

The other issue is those who don't have Ysera and Onyxia. However, once Blackrock is completed, everyone will have Nefarian, Chromaggus, and the rest. So you'll see many more people running Dragon Paladin.

Drakonid Crusher and Dragonkin Sorcerer won't see play in Paladin. Chromaggus is tremendously overrated. Nefarian stands a pretty good chance. I might run him over Ysera. I think Volcanic Drake is an essential piece. Maybe a 1-of.

ZealousD

Okie doke.

Seriously though. Unless you can guarantee a solemn vigil combo why would you run Chromaggus? An 8 mana 6/8 that draws a card is not exceptional. You need this guy to draw 2 cards. Too difficult.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God dammit. I almost had the heroic rag down with a loaded board but he just used a spell on my face and sniped me with hero power.

Seriously though. Unless you can guarantee a solemn vigil combo why would you run Chromaggus? An 8 mana 6/8 that draws a card is not exceptional. You need this guy to draw 2 cards. Too difficult.

Not sure if it'll be enough to warrant, but with consort he becomes 6 mana and 6/8 is a powerful statline.

Man, heroic Rag/Domo is brutal. Have to kill Domo from ~20 to dead or you'll get a bunch of Moltens + Rag.
I did it with Priest and buffed some dudes' HP above 8 so they could take at least 1 shot and live. I got the dump of Moltens when rag was at 8 HP so it didn't matter.

Why run chrom in paladin? Because you can get chromaggus out on turn 6 with dragon consort on turn 5. Or you can have an acolyte on board prior to playing or other crazy things due to Emperor, and if chrommagus survives a round, 8 hp and not bgh vulnerable is very possible, you can lay on hands to get 4 extra copies. Basically giving you more resources without pushing you faster towards fatigue, which actually matters in control match ups.

I think what matters most is the value of the copied cards and whether getting extra copies is worth it. Can't imagine someone successfully killing me if I get an extra healbot or belcher, consecration, etc..

ZealousD

Not sure if it'll be enough to warrant, but with consort he becomes 6 mana and 6/8 is a powerful statline.

That's basically 1hp over boulderfist. I don't think a 6 mana 6/8 would see any more constructed play than boulderfist. If you managed to draw a card, then it'd be worth it then. Again, you better have a solemn vigil combo the moment you play him. Otherwise you can't guarantee value.

Still think this guy is Foe Reaper tier.

jblank83

A 6 mana 6/8 that draws a card and duplicates it is nice, though. It's especially nice depending on what card is drawn and duplicated (2 Dr Booms, 2 Sylvannas, 2 Sludge Belchers, 2 Truesilvers, 2 Consecrations, etc etc). The longer it stays on the board the more "value" the effect is. And given it's 6 mana, not 7, it's going to take a little more effort to get rid of it than some legendaries (unless it's a priest).

Beyond that, setting up some immediate card draw isn't that insane. Take a Blessing of Wisdom. Run 1 Cult Master. Even throw a Loot Hoarder in there. A little work, but not too much.

It's a little slow when we're talking about immediate effects, e.g. Rag, but it's not as slow as others. I think it's a strong mid-game card, assuming the Dragon Consort "innervates" it out, and good in late game as well, due to the value (don't forget Emperor Balanced). Obviously wouldn't go into an early game deck, though.

inky

Man, heroic Rag/Domo is brutal. Have to kill Domo from ~20 to dead or you'll get a bunch of Moltens + Rag.

If you have Jaraxxus, control the board then leave him at 21~ Then slowly build infernals until you fill the board and he runs out of minions to play, then repeat with Rag. He never gets to put down his moltens and his other cards are easy to deal with.

Papercuts

That's basically 1hp over boulderfist. I don't think a 6 mana 6/8 would see any more constructed play than boulderfist. If you managed to draw a card, then it'd be worth it then. Again, you better have a solemn vigil combo the moment you play him. Otherwise you can't guarantee value.

Still think this guy is Foe Reaper tier.

Eh, maybe. Even then he's still a boulderfist that you reallllly need to remove, but you can't BGH it. Foe Reaper's biggest issue was being slow, but Consort is already going to be the main cog making Dragon Paladin a thing which helps rectify that somewhat.

ZealousD

A 6 mana 6/8 that draws 2 cards is nice, though, and that's basically what it does.

If that's actually what it did that would be amazing. But that's not what it does. That requires both Dragon Consort AND a zero mana Solemn Vigil.

If you don't combo with Solemn Vigil, it has to survive two turns to do what you said it does.

ZealousD

Eh, maybe. Even then he's still a boulderfist that you reallllly need to remove, but you can't BGH it. Foe Reaper's biggest issue was being slow, but Consort is already going to be the main cog making Dragon Paladin a thing which helps rectify that somewhat.

Yes, but you're basically saying that Chromaggus isn't worth it unless it gets Dragon Consorted out. But you're not going to use your Dragon Consorts on Chromaggus every time.

ZealousD

There are other card draw solutions and mana permutations.

Acolyte will get cut for Solemn Vigil. Every other solution involves weaker cards like Novice Engineer that aren't good enough on their own, or higher mana cards like Lay on Hands which require you to wait a turn. Your opponent will probably kill it by then.

Papercuts

Yes, but you're basically saying that Chromaggus isn't worth it unless it gets Dragon Consorted out. But you're not going to use your Dragon Consorts on Chromaggus every time.

True, though I think a lot of this depends on what the entire deck looks like. Consort being a permanent next and a 2 of gives more leeway, and I'd be amazed if Emperor isn't there for some more acceleration.

I'm excited to see what happens either way.

jblank83

Acolyte will get cut for Solemn Vigil. Every other solution involves weaker cards like Novice Engineer that aren't good enough on their own, or higher mana cards like Lay on Hands which require you to wait a turn. Your opponent will probably kill it by then.

Run a Blessing of Wisdom. One mana, possibly 0 with Emperor Thaurissian. It's not run now because it's only 1 draw, usually. However, 1 mana for 1 draw that's duplicated is a lot nicer.

Not a big hole in Paladin decks, which are pretty efficient.

ZealousD

Run a Blessing of Wisdom. One mana, possibly 0 with Emperor Thaurissian. It's not run now because it's only 1 draw, usually. However, 1 mana for 1 draw that's duplicated is a lot nicer.

Not a big hole in Paladin decks, which are pretty efficient.

Blessing of Wisdom is one of those weaker solutions like Novice Engineer I mentioned. Constructed is not a place where you can run subpar cards just to make another subpar card better. Every single card in a constructed deck has to be meaningful.

And the copy effect really isn't that much better.

Xanathus

If you have Jaraxxus, control the board then leave him at 21~ Then slowly build infernals until you fill the board and he runs out of minions to play, then repeat with Rag. He never gets to put down his moltens and his other cards are easy to deal with.

And then he double shots you when he becomes Rag.

inky

And then he double shots you when he becomes Rag.

Only happened once ;P

6yd7QfQ.png

rickyson1

just had the most incredible comeback i've ever had

was in an arena match as a priest at 1 health with a few small things including a cleric on the board facing a full health shaman with a 8/4 sea giant and an Al'Akir with ancestral spirit cast on it

drew a shadow word pain and healed a minion and drew another shadow word pain,killed the Al'Akir twice with those and traded pretty much everything i had out to clear the sea giant

established board control after that and eventually went on to win like 10 tense turns later

ZealousD

Man Blingtron seems such a fun card. Too bad it's so down on the list of stuff I need before it.

I don't know why the stats on it are so awful for the cost. Should be like a 5/5 or 4/6 or something.

jblank83

Blessing of Wisdom is one of those weaker solutions like Novice Engineer I mentioned. Constructed is not a place where you can run subpar cards just to make another subpar card better. Every single card in a constructed deck has to be meaningful.

And the copy effect really isn't that much better.

Okie doke.

TheChaos0

Grim patron is kind of a fun card. Especially when you combo is with Emperor to make the comboing later one easier. Between Whirlwinds, Deathspites, Cruel Taskmasters, Mad Bombers, Commanding Shout, Whirling Blade and Unstable Ghoul there's quite a few ways to trigger them. Shame I couldn't fit executes in... ah well. It's kinda nice plying something other than control.

hm druid of the fang isn't very good, even with the new 3 drop beast. I just realized that playing call of the wild + druid of the fang is basically a worse Dr. Boom, and takes 2 cards to do.

As for the new druid card, it seems like both 5/2s and 2/5s aren't particularly useful in constructed, but it seems like a decent enough arena card.

Heroic Rag.. it took me 2 hours to beat this bastard.

hm druid of the fang isn't very good, even with the new 3 drop beast. I just realized that playing call of the wild + druid of the fang is basically a worse Dr. Boom, and takes 2 cards to do.

As for the new druid card, it seems like both 5/2s and 2/5s aren't particularly useful in constructed, but it seems like a decent enough arena card.

Getting the building blocks for beast druid. xD

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Used the new rag card, transformed to rag

First turn guy had 3 minions, hits face

Second turn 4, hits face

Third turn 6, hits face

Based ragnaros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom