• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Sande

Another entry to the list of undisputed Hearthstone facts: Your opponent's King's Elekk always draws Savannah Highmane.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In what way Blizzard is badly handling the game?

No avenue for new players.

Balance tweeks months after the fact

Tavern Brawl seems broken or half assed on a weekly basis.

Power creep and mana cost is all over the place

They released some new class portraits then just stopped

Still haven't implemented any sort of stat tracking

Communication with the player base is piss poor

No real sense of where the game as a whole is headed

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are the class portraits even worth it? They are $10 for something cosmetic?!

Does it even matter? Why release 2nd portraits of only half the characters then stop? Makes no fucking sense both in terms of general sense or business sense.

No avenue for new players.

Balance tweeks months after the fact

Tavern Brawl seems broken or half assed on a weekly basis.

Power creep and mana cost is all over the place

They released some new class portraits then just stopped

Still haven't implemented any sort of stat tracking

Communication with the player base is piss poor

No real sense of where the game as a whole is headed

My biggest complaint is that they haven't updated the client much since the game released. The one update that I can think of is when they added the button to filter cards by set and a way to add a card back to your decks. They still haven't given us more deck slots, you still can't tell how many wins you have towards your next 10 gold, and they still don't show you how close you are to the day's gold cap. I've only maxed out the gold a few times, but it's annoying to get there, pick up a few wins, and then see that you didn't get anything for it. You can track this yourself, but you shouldn't have to. These are basic quality of life features that have been added by 3rd party software (except for the deck slots, nothing you can do about that). Blizzard should be able to do this stuff on their lunch break.

Currently on a 14 winstreak with Rogue (still 100% winrate vs paladin):

CS5PLrOVEAAlbhf.png

Druid: 2- aspirant, 3- keeper, 4- knife juggler, 5- dr. boom, 6- fel eaver

That curve... I ended up killing him on turn 9 with 3 points from fatigue helping me out lol.

also I just noticed the rank recording on that list are very off. Must be a bug in the deck tracker. I'm currently ranked 8

Priest is dead again with everyone playing armor warrior. Nothing new there :b

More than that. I am trying to do my daily quest three priest wins and have no luck with neither dragon priest nor control priest. Against handlock, great auto lose. Against face hunter, ooo yay no dragon in hand to activate my taunts. Against aggro, yay double priestess ope ing hand as the only cards I can play meanwhile the fuckpaladin drops double argent squire abusive sergent argent protector in two turns to clear my board without losing anything.

I am actively in search of a time waster game on android to replace hearthatone, maybe a light rpg or something. If anybody knows any good ones let me know.

JohnCYQ

The idea from a few pages back for not having silence remove taunts is a good thing IMO. Instead you now make cards that specialize to do just that (remove taunts).

3 mana 2/4: Battlecry: removes taunt from an enemy minion.

2/4 for 3 is one point below average but still trades well against 1-2 drops.
2 attack means that it isn't going to provide excessive pressure for aggro, which is a good thing because it already has a proper purpose anyway (removing taunts)

This seems like it would be a good first step to weakening aggression in general. Cards like Belchers/Chillmaw would get a little stronger as defensive cards and not be completely neutered by a single card (you silence the deathrattle but still have to get through a 6/6 or you get rid of the taunt to go face and risk letting the other player suicide their chillmaw for a 3-damage aoe).

Another idea is to have cards that forces the effect of Ice Howl for all minions while the minion stays on the board.

For example:

3mana 1/8: minions cannot target heroes

You can still silence its effects, or you simply kill off the weak minion. Having 1 attack lets it kill off tokens while not doing too much vs anything else, but can still be useful when combined with other taunts. Turn 8 this minion + belcher for example.

If the effect feels too powerful, you can even limit it to certain attack values.For example, make it such that the effect does not apply to minions with 4 or more attack. This way the card doesn't just become a super control tool since it does nothing against most mid-range minions (and allows attack buffs to be useful by allow weak minions to bypass the effect).

Pooya

this handlock guy just left my berserker alive, my harmless looking board one armor smith plus one frothing with two taunts on his side, suddenly next turn he was dead from 20 health lmao.

Wonder what Blizzard is thinking with all the backlash that's starting to build up. More and more people unhappy with how Blizzard is handling the game so I wonder how much longer they can stay silent. Then again, probably not affecting their profit margins too much I'd guess.

I think of it as the reddit effect, when your around people that share your same views, you assume ever one shares the same views. The people bitching about backlash are certainly not in the majority

Warxard

Banned
I'm just not drawing any legendaries as often as I'd like. I think I'm gonna dust Gormok and Maexxna and work on crafting Doc Boom.

Dre

Which streamer do I have to blame? EU casual is filled with freeze mages.
I'll have to play with my Gorlock deck another time I guess.

My biggest complaint is that they haven't updated the client much since the game released. The one update that I can think of is when they added the button to filter cards by set and a way to add a card back to your decks. They still haven't given us more deck slots, you still can't tell how many wins you have towards your next 10 gold, and they still don't show you how close you are to the day's gold cap. I've only maxed out the gold a few times, but it's annoying to get there, pick up a few wins, and then see that you didn't get anything for it. You can track this yourself, but you shouldn't have to. These are basic quality of life features that have been added by 3rd party software (except for the deck slots, nothing you can do about that). Blizzard should be able to do this stuff on their lunch break.

Mouse over your gold count, and it shows you this exact information. I dunno when they added it, but I first saw this a couple months ago.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, it's a Hearthstone Deck Tracker feature!

shit you CAN'T? :ccccccc

Alright, Gormok goes away. Gonna keep Lightbane, as it actually gives me a bit of use in my Warlock deck

I think Gormok works in Warlock decks better than Fjola Lightbane. I can't think of any Warlock buff spells that aren't demon specific and don't result in the minion dying at the end of the turn (making a divine shield buff useless). Gormok works well with Implosion and Imp Gang Boss plus other sticky minions that Zoo typically runs.

Mouse over your gold count, and it shows you this exact information. I dunno when they added it, but I first saw this a couple months ago.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, it's a Hearthstone Deck Tracker feature!

I play almost exclusively on my tablet, so I can't install Hearthstone deck tracker there.

Dahbomb

Freeze mage is so damn ridiculous. How can you win if they get a decent draw and you don't have a bunch of heals in hand? There's so little counterplay beyond just healing after Alexstrasza drops.
Counter play is Loatheb and Kezan Mystic. A couple of silences in the deck means you will not get board wiped. Never fill up your board with garbage minions.

And you can play Control Warrior and never lose the match up.

Dreavus

The idea from a few pages back for not having silence remove taunts is a good thing IMO. Instead you now make cards that specialize to do just that (remove taunts).

3 mana 2/4: Battlecry: removes taunt from an enemy minion.

2/4 for 3 is one point below average but still trades well against 1-2 drops.
2 attack means that it isn't going to provide excessive pressure for aggro, which is a good thing because it already has a proper purpose anyway (removing taunts)

This seems like it would be a good first step to weakening aggression in general. Cards like Belchers/Chillmaw would get a little stronger as defensive cards and not be completely neutered by a single card (you silence the deathrattle but still have to get through a 6/6 or you get rid of the taunt to go face and risk letting the other player suicide their chillmaw for a 3-damage aoe).

Another idea is to have cards that forces the effect of Ice Howl for all minions while the minion stays on the board.

For example:

3mana 1/8: minions cannot target heroes

You can still silence its effects, or you simply kill off the weak minion. Having 1 attack lets it kill off tokens while not doing too much vs anything else, but can still be useful when combined with other taunts. Turn 8 this minion + belcher for example.

If the effect feels too powerful, you can even limit it to certain attack values.For example, make it such that the effect does not apply to minions with 4 or more attack. This way the card doesn't just become a super control tool since it does nothing against most mid-range minions (and allows attack buffs to be useful by allow weak minions to bypass the effect).

If anything this would provide another degree of granularity that is probably needed. I think Kibler did an article on silence, pointing out that barely any new ones have been released because it's almost like there is no need to – the ability is a catchall solution to any non-battlecry minion with impactful effects and turns them into piles of stats, and there's already a 2 mana version and a 4 mana version.

Separating it from affecting taunt would open up more design space at the very least.

Warxard

Banned
I think Gormok works in Warlock decks better than Fjola Lightbane. I can't think of any Warlock buff spells that aren't demon specific and don't result in the minion dying at the end of the turn (making a divine shield buff useless). Gormok works well with Implosion and Imp Gang Boss plus other sticky minions that Zoo typically runs.

Well I already ran Gormok in a Zoo deck but I felt like the potential damage wasn't really worth it other to clear BIG monsters from the field :c

What do you guys think is more important for a paladin secret deck, a 2nd MC or a a single coghammer?

Co-op eh? Add me BigJonsson#1492

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What backlash? Did something happen? Or are you just talking about everyday salt?

I've been noticing a lot by some promenent members over at reddit:

Trolden

Seraph

Firebat

There have always been a ton of complaints about various overpowered cards, and Mysterious Challenger is getting that treatment to, but I think people are disappointed by how finally getting the Patron nerf they wanted so badly didn't all of a sudden turn the game into being fun and now instead of complaining about the next OP card, they're complaining about the game itself.

Personally, the main thing that's driving me away from playing this more is still the monthly ladder resets making it impossible to keep up a good rank, but all this negativity is making me wonder if it's even worth it in the first place.

It might be a good time to figure out what other digital collectible card games have to offer, if there are any.

Dahbomb

CS5PLrOVEAAlbhf.png

That curve... I ended up killing him on turn 9 with 3 points from fatigue helping me out lol.

also I just noticed the rank recording on that list are very off. Must be a bug in the deck tracker. I'm currently ranked 8
I like how most of your games are ending before 10 minutes and many before turn 8. Feeds into the whole notion of killing them before they kill you tempo game.

Well I already ran Gormok in a Zoo deck but I felt like the potential damage wasn't really worth it other to clear BIG monsters from the field :c

Fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that Warlock doesn't have anything to trigger Fjola's ability. Warlock has 4 buff spells, of those Demonfuse, Demonheart and Demonfire are all demon specific buffs. Using them on Fjola won't do anything. Power Overwhelming can be cast on Fjola, but she's guaranteed to die at the end of the turn, so her ability is still pretty useless. The only other spell that you could actually cast on her without completely wasting it is Shadowflame, which also kills her, making Divine Shield useless. Without her ability Fjola is pretty useless in Warlock decks. You may as well run a Spider Tank.

daemissary

CS5PLrOVEAAlbhf.png

Have you posted your current list recently? I'd be interested in trying it out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When do Blizzcon 2015 owners get the cardback?

Dahbomb

I think main issues with the game right now that are causing frustration for the core playerbase (not average Joe who plays like one game a day) are the following:

*No additional deck slots since the game has been released.

*No changes in the Arena reward system since release. Arena in fact has not been touched at all.

*Arena not thought about when assigning card rarity. See Warrior arena dilemma.

*Overpriced hero skins and not every class has them.

*Tavern Brawl being an underwhelming experience and with frequent recycling of Brawls.

*Casual mode not actually being casual. Players are much better off playing ladder with their joke decks, at least they will be matched up properly.

*TGT expansion is not working as designed. Joust was a flop, Inspire based mechanics are unused and despite introducing almost entirely cards that slow down the game or are slow... the game is about tempo now more than ever. Overall TGT was a huge waste of money for anyone that pre ordered. At least the TGT impacted the Arena meta but even there the focus on tempo was increased.

*Tempo is the dominant game plan of the meta these days. Card advantage be damned, late game strats be damned, healing be damned. This really limits the type of decks and strategies you can be run.

*Huge lack of counter play in the game. Only way to consistently win is to out tempo your opponent. Someone plays MC on 6 and you don't have board initiative... you are going to lose the game.

*Mysterious Challenger is legit top 5 most broken card in history of Hearthstone. Worst of all the card enables a dumb deck that even bots can pilot to legend.

*Blizzard does not balance the game as frequently as they should. And instead of making marginal changes with a good variety of buffs and nerfs... they employ the tactical nuke approach with nerfs. Instead of buffing cards they release better versions of previous ones in order to pad the amount of cards in an expansion.

*Way too many strong RNG cards in the game. Many like RNG including myself but the game is starting to reach critical mass in terms of RNG. This is why many people say they are fine watching the game but despise playing the game.

*Lack of communication or admission of mistakes by Blizzard. Only exception to this has been Warriors in Arena and that took a riot by the community to get a response from Blizzard. They played coy with Grim Patron for months until they finally nerfed the deck before Blizzcon. People are not entertained by the thought of playing against MC for 6 months until Blizzard admits that the card is a problem.

There are a few more but that's the gist of it.

gutshot

I just can't believe that here we are over 2 years since the game has been released and the client is still so bare bones. Regular balance and content patches would be nice, but the lack of quality of life improvements, which are relatively minor changes, is a joke.

ViviOggi

Lost a 10+ run at 8 because fucking Cho spawned from my Shredder and I couldn't swipe down the Murloc Knight cancerflood

Fucker drafted a Warleader too

ParityBit

Does it even matter? Why release 2nd portraits of only half the characters then stop? Makes no fucking sense both in terms of general sense or business sense.

I agree. I wonder how they are selling? I have not been playing long and I stink (always at the bottom of the ranks) but I have never seen one.

That's up to you.
For me it's certianly too much.

For what you get ... it is like horse armor!

I agree. I wonder how they are selling? I have not been playing long and I stink (always at the bottom of the ranks) but I have never seen one.

For what you get ... it is like horse armor!

If they're not selling, it's because the price is too high. There's no reason that an alternate hero portrait should cost $10, and Blizzard could easily adjust the price down. It's not like a manufactured product where you have a cost to produce each copy. Once it's made, you've spent pretty much as much as you're going to spend on it. If they want to make money on them, just lower the price or package them. All three current alternate portraits shouldn't cost more than $10 for the package. When they release the other 6, sell them in packs of three for $10 or all 9 for $25. I still probably wouldn't buy it, but I bet you'd get a lot more buyers at those prices than $10 per hero.

Top Bottom