• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

G.ZZZ

Kolento stream chat is so full of italian and i don't know why but i'm having a blast in it
BabyRage.png
BabyRage.png

Ladekabel

Coldarra Drake is a card that could be very good down the line. If they introduce a Jaraxxus like card for Mage then Coldarra Drake can be used in it. I have seen it used in a Majordomo Mage deck.

I once played against someone who used it. I lost and I wasn't even mad.

Dahbomb

I've only ever seen that happen on YouTube. I've never actually played anyone that tried that gimmick crap. But even if your hypothetical card gets made, Coldarra Drake is still slower than MC because it does not have an immediate impact on the board without further mana investment.
Like I said comparing anything to MC is futile at this point.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't think Iron Juggernaut effect is awful, it's actually quite cool and works well in a Fatigue Warrior deck. It's a cool gimmick.

It's just that comparing anything to Mysterious Challenger is folly. Like compare Fizzlebang and Mistcaller to Mysterious Challenger.

Remember how Sideshow Spelleater is a 6/5? Mogor's Champion is a 8/5? Fearsome Doomguard is a 6/8? Captured Jourmungand is a 5/9?

It is almost baffling that all these cards are in the same game as Mysterious Challenger and Dr. Boom. Blizzard plays it super conservatively with some cards and then plays it fast and loose with others. It is baffling.

zoukka

Remember how Sideshow Spelleater is a 6/5? Mogor's Champion is a 8/5? Fearsome Doomguard is a 6/8? Captured Jourmungand is a 5/9?

It is almost baffling that all these cards are in the same game as Mysterious Challenger and Dr. Boom. Blizzard plays it super conservatively with some cards and then plays it fast and loose with others. It is baffling.

Not all cards can be god tier.

ZealousD

Not all cards can be god tier.

All of those underpowered cards I mentioned could all have an extra stat point added and people still wouldn't play them. This has nothing to do with making 100% of cards playable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll agree on Mogor's Champion and Sideshow being underwhelming, but the last two are Arena cards and Fearsome is also there to add to Bane of Doom.

If you see an underwhelming common, that's frequently the purpose.

It doesn't really surprise me that Mysterious Challenger's stats are so high for what it does compared to other cards around the same cost.

Blizzard has always had a hard on for secrets and finding ways to coax people into playing them. It's the same reason Mad Scientist exists after all, which is another card that is too good for its cost.

Dahbomb

Captured Jormunger is fine. It has well balanced stats for a vanilla 7 drop and it has the beast tag. It's better than a War Golem in most cases. Same for the demon although it being class card it could've had better stats.

Mogor Champion on the other hand is a terrible card all around.

Sideshow Stealer is a few stats short. It's actually usable in Control Rogue because they have a bad late game hero power.

johnsmith

remember me
The fact that Arcane nullifier can just be silenced is hilarious. The untargetable effect needs to apply to battlecries too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To me the issue Mogor's Champion has that the other cards don't is that the entire idea of the 50% miss chance cards is that they have better stats than average as a trade-off for missing.

Mogor's Champion has the same stats total as Boulderfist Ogre though.

To me the issue Mogor's Champion has that the other cards don't is that the entire idea of the 50% miss chance cards is that they have better stats than average as a trade-off for missing.

Mogor's Champion has the same stats total as Boulderfist Ogre though.

It's also easier to kill than Boulderfist Ogre with its low health/high attack stat distribution making it much less threatening. It puts everything it has into offense and then has a 50% chance of whiffing when you go to use it.

I am enjoying how you're using this Rogue deck and your other one Tempoil, I believe. Does this consistently wipe out aggro Druid and Eboladin?

On an unrelated note and VERY LATE, via @Kolento...

CSsl3a6WsAALoGo.jpg:large

Fucking kill me. :V

I haven't lost to eboladin yet but I haven't played against it a ton either. This deck is very capable of dumping its hand in a meaningful manner so playing around divine favor is not difficult.

As for aggro druid, I have lost to one druid in 10 games. Now that the deck has BGH (this one and tempoil are basically the same deck with that 1 specific change), there is an easy answer to fel reaver to pull. But last aggro druid I faced I had such a steam roll it is worth mentioning, and I remember manhack was spectating.

My mulligan was going second and I had VT + 2 backstabs. And I drew into another VT. So on turn 3 I coined out VT (which he actually spent a savage roar + shade removing) and on turn 4 I played the second one. When he played his fel reaver, I had backstab, eviscerate, si7 agent. It was pretty disgustingly one sided from there although I guess maybe if he got some crazy combo off on turn 7 somehow... like a 4-5 card combo although his hand size didn't have that. But I also had a dread corsair so even that was probably not enough.

The one loss I had to druid was last month in legend and this guy... I am looking at the replay, and this guy had a turn 2 emperor thaurisan. I probably still had a solid chance but for dr. boom coming out on turn 6. If I had the BGH in the deck back then, I probably also would have won since I drew the card I replaced it with... lol. Also the funny thing is I queued into the same guy right away and I remember beating him hard.

Don't stats become less relevant the more expensive the creature is? There's a huge difference between 2/3 and 3/2 2-drops, and almost all the viable 1-drops are 2-attack, but outside of patron how many decks have minions that aren't either part of the win condition or chosen because they can immediately affect the board state? Would you play MC if it was a 4/4? Would you play Boom if it was a 7/5? Loatheb if it was a 4/5? Antonidas if it was a 5/5?

Stats felt really important when I first started hearthstone (the first batch of nerfs like shattered sun and argent were stats-based, but you wouldn't even play the original versions of those cards now), especially the "can flamestrike kill this" or "is it 4-attack", but it feels totally different now.

Dahbomb

you want to kill aggro dead, all aggro for all time hunh.
Oh noes, Aggro decks will have to use their minions to go through taunts or *gasp* use a spell on a taunt.

Don't stats become less relevant the more expensive the creature is? There's a huge difference between 2/3 and 3/2 2-drops, and almost all the viable 1-drops are 2-attack, but outside of patron how many decks have minions that aren't either part of the win condition or chosen because they can immediately affect the board state? Would you play MC if it was a 4/4? Would you play Boom if it was a 7/5? Loatheb if it was a 4/5? Antonidas if it was a 5/5?
Stats are extremely important up until the 4-5 mana. Beyond 6 and up stats are enough by themselves.

Zombie Chow still gets run and it's a stats monster. If there was a 2 mana equivalent of Zombie Chow (3/4 gives the opponent 7 health) then it would be run no question about it. Hell Totem Golem has become the staple 2 drop of Shaman despite having a considerable draw back. Minibot is a stat monster and is a staple card. Muster for Battle is a 4 stat value card for 3 mana, obviously it's run. Shredder is a stat monster on average, of course it's the most used.

It gets tricky at the 5 mana. There aren't huge value monsters at 5 mana. Loatheb is used for the effect, I would say that even if it was a 4/5 it would still get used though it would get used A LOT less if it was a 5/4 (because of Shredder). Belcher is also a stat monster and hence it's the default 5 drop in quite a few decks. Fel Reaver is used in SUPER aggressive decks and it's the best stat for stat 5 cost in the game (but comes with a considerable drawback).

6 mana and up, you need a godly effect... stats aren't enough. People used to run Sky Golem/Cairne in that slot because these cards are amazing raw stats for the cost but that's too slow and low board impact these days for the cost. The only other card that is run for pure stats is Highmane though it has the Beast tag so Hunter gets the added synergy. Notice that these cards just like Shredder have powerful deathrattle effects which means that they maintain their stats for quite some time.

Asides from these powerful deathrattle minions, the other 6 mana cards have powerful effects. MC, Cabal, Sylvanas, Emperor Thaurissan. That's because 6 mana is the slot where powerful legendaries start coming in as well.

Above 6 mana it's all about powerful legendaries. I can't really think of any non Legendaries minions that are used past 7 mana.

Boom would get played at 7/5, MC would get played at 4/4 and Antonidas would get played at 5/5 but all these cards would be quite a bit weaker.

ZealousD

Captured Jormunger is fine. It has well balanced stats for a vanilla 7 drop and it has the beast tag. It's better than a War Golem in most cases. Same for the demon although it being class card it could've had better stats.

Morgan Champion on the other hand is a terrible card all around.

Sideshow Stealer is a few stats short. It's actually usable in Control Rogue because they have a bad late game hero power.

Blizzard is playing vanilla stats super conservatively on the 7 slot for some reason. Most vanilla cards get 2x+1 stats for their mana cost but all the vanilla 7 drops are 14 stats for some bizarre reason, like they think it is too good for a 7 drop to have 15 stats. I am not sure why. A card like North Sea Kraken is actually too good when using any traditional formula (the main body is like a 6 mana 9/7) and even it can't see play in Constructed. Blizzard is penalizing cards for being big giant vanilla bodies for high mana costs when they should be rewarding them. Nobody thinks Ancient of War is OP, and it has 15 stats, with flexibility and the taunt option to boot!

I think it is absurd that Blizzard plays it conservatively with these giant bodies that don't do anything when the very concept can't be any further from where the game is headed right now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just god-drawed this Paladin as Tempo mage.

T1: Coin, Apprentice
T2: Apprentice, Mirror Image
T3: Flamewaker, Unstable Portal (Fire Elemental), Flamecannon

mayatomr_gdlk.gif

Dahbomb

Can't wait for Battle Golem, 7/8 7 drop in the next expansion.

Ancient of War actually has 16 stats in taunt form because you have to count the taunt as well. But it's a class card. That's why I said the demon that Warlocks got should've been a stat or two higher because it's a class card. Class cards are generally budgeted higher than their counter parts. That's probably why they made MC 6/6.

ZealousD

Can't wait for Battle Golem, 7/8 7 drop in the next expansion.

That would essentially be a card as consequential as Evil Heckler. Nobody would play it in Constructed but you'd pick it in arena. And it'd be the best vanilla 7 drop in the game.

Are we really scared of a 5/10 Captured Jourmungand or an 8/6 (or even 8/7) Mogor's Champion?

Dahbomb

Hearthstone needs an Exodia equivalent. Alternate win condition.

Are we really scared of a 5/10 Captured Jourmungand or an 8/6 (or even 8/7) Mogor's Champion?
No one is scared of them. I have already said many times that Mogor's Champion is an awful card and shouldn't have come with that stat line. Captured Jormunger feels like a flavorful card that is the reverse of Core Hound.

Haly

Mimiron's Head kind of works like that?

Like if you can get him off he's pretty much Exodia, complete with awesome cut scene.

Face Hunter down, I'm spitting hot fire from my flamewakers.

Dahbomb

I am thinking 6 cards, 5 cards you need to have in hand and one card you have to play from hand which has the Battlecry: "If you have the other 5 cards in the hand then you win the game".

Haly

Too easy. Hearthstone has way too much card draw at the base level to make Exodia balanced.

Hell Exodia isn't even balanced in YGO.

Dahbomb

Too easy. Hearthstone has way too much card draw at the base level to make Exodia balanced.

Hell Exodia isn't even balanced in YGO.
I am not even sure about that. I mean yeah you might get the god draw in some games and win the game by turn 7 (I would cost that minion that you have to summon a 7 mana) but it's very likely that you can easily get killed before that time.

And if they play Deathlord then it might pull one of the pieces out of your deck and you lose.

Of course Blizzard would never really implement this mechanic because it goes against their design philosophies.

you're insane if you think that change would be in any way good. the salt's gone to your brain.
I am not saying that all previous Taunts should be changed to that. I am saying they should create new Taunt minions that have a special text which says that they can't be targetted by minions.

Sort of like that 4 mana 2/5 immune taunt but one that works on minion instead of spells.

The "after X condition the owner loses the game" text I've seen on Magic cards might be fun on a Hearthstone card

Might be too good/too awful on a minion since you can silence your own minions

ZealousD

I am thinking 6 cards, 5 cards you need to have in hand and one card you have to play from hand which has the Battlecry: "If you have the other 5 cards in the hand then you win the game".

Let's be honest.

Patron was basically this.

Dahbomb

Let's be honest.

Patron was basically this.
Arguably Patron was even more consistent than this because it could win with fewer cards and it had different win conditions. Against face rush deck they could combo Patrons with Armorsmiths for massive armor gain. Against Control deck they can draw out their deck and then finish with Berserker OTK. Against Zoo type decks they can combo Warsong with Patron to have a huge board etc.

What this is closer to is Malygos Shaman. I would also say Freeze Mage but Freeze Mage usually sets up lethal over two turns at the minimum.

Haly

I admit, I did look at my Patron/Miracle cards as pieces of a puzzle and then laughed maniacally when I lethal'd for 40 while yelling MIND CRUSH.

It was the best.

Top Bottom