• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

sibarraz

Banned
Currently on a 14 winstreak with Rogue (still 100% winrate vs paladin):

CS5PLrOVEAAlbhf.png

Druid: 2- aspirant, 3- keeper, 4- knife juggler, 5- dr. boom, 6- fel eaver

That curve... I ended up killing him on turn 9 with 3 points from fatigue helping me out lol.

also I just noticed the rank recording on that list are very off. Must be a bug in the deck tracker. I'm currently ranked 8

Could you post the decklist?

They changed it. They just made it worse to everyone who's not a new player with the random card pack reward.

The random pack isn't necessarily worse. It sucked that they made that change right when TGT was releasing and everyone was expecting them to award TGT packs for the next few months. But in the long run, a random pack is probably better for most players except for right after the release of a new card set when you want to concentrate on that set. The best reward would've been a voucher for a pack of your choosing, though. I can kind of understand why they don't want to do that, but I don't think it really makes that much of a difference when you're basically just opening 40 dust from all packs.

Have you posted your current list recently? I'd be interested in trying it out.

Could you post the decklist?

I will warn you that it is a pretty difficult list to play and it is not a deck that plays on curve very often. And you have to utilize your hp while staying out of lethal range, sometimes you'll win by the skin of your teeth. But other times you'll also blow your opponent out by wresting board control early on using backstabs, si7 agent, blade flurry, and even autobarber. Don't be afraid to let your opponent make trades either, or taking extra damage to set up for a blade flurry or to get bigger value from a blade flurry.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_11_02_15_02_01_30.png

The random pack isn't necessarily worse. It sucked that they made that change right when TGT was releasing and everyone was expecting them to award TGT packs for the next few months. But in the long run, a random pack is probably better for most players except for right after the release of a new card set when you want to concentrate on that set. The best reward would've been a voucher for a pack of your choosing, though. I can kind of understand why they don't want to do that, but I don't think it really makes that much of a difference when you're basically just opening 40 dust from all packs.

Also since not many TGT cards are played in top decks, it is arguably better to get classic or gvg. And they've never made it so you can choose so the new system technically isn't worse than before, it is just worse than what people want.

Peléo

There was a guy in this thread which said Misterious Challenger would be OP and I strongly disagreed with him. Want to give you my compliments for being right. Can't remember his name though.

gutshot

Kibler just made four Hunters in a row 360 noscope concede with his glorious Hobolock

You've gotta love Kibler. Everyone else is whining incessantly about the meta and rolling with the FOTM secret pally or aggro druid and he just continues to create unique, new decks that actually work.

This meta is driving me insane. Aggro and face everywhere. If you don't get a great curve it's very easy to just die on turn 4 or 5, even with your own aggro deck. They need to buff hero HP to like 40 to put a stop to this aggro shit. And aggro will be fine since board clears are still shit, low mana minions still vasty out value high mana minions, and taunts still suck. But at least it gives people a few more turns to try to stablize.

At this point I am asking myself why don't I just join the aggro/face hunter train. And then I realized it's not fun at all so why bother playing.

Dahbomb

Peléo;184066700 said:
There was a guy in this thread which said Misterious Challenger would be OP and I strongly disagreed with him. Want to give you my compliments for being right. Can't remember his name though.
That was probably me and I don't really care. Quite frankly I expected the Midrange Secret Paladin list to be the dominant one (and it is very strong) but even I didn't expect lists to be running 10 secrets in it. I actually underestimated the strength of Divine Favor in a secrets deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That was probably me and I don't really care. Quite frankly I expected the Midrange Secret Paladin list to be the dominant one (and it is very strong) but even I didn't expect lists to be running 10 secrets in it. I actually underestimated the strength of Divine Favor in a secrets deck.

We'll discuss it more once we get to the re-review stream but you actually thought the Secrets deck would only run about 5 secrets, a spread like 2x Avenge 2x Competitive Spirit and 1x Noble Sacrifice

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You've gotta love Kibler. Everyone else is whining incessantly about the meta and rolling with the FOTM secret pally or aggro druid and he just continues to create unique, new decks that actually work.
How does creating new decks change the fact that you're seeing the same small set of decks over and over and over again on the ladder?

Dahbomb

We'll discuss it more once we get to the re-review stream but you actually thought the Secrets deck would only run about 5 secrets, a spread like 2x Avenge 2x Competitive Spirit and 1x Noble Sacrifice
Yeah that's what I said and that's similar to what some Midrange Secret lists run (replace one comp Spirit with one of the other two secrets). Though it's more common to run 7.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kibler's having fun with quirky decks because he's not a pile of salt and knows how to relax.

But his decks are not really working. He's been hovering around rank 11 the entire day. A player like Kibler shouldn't even be fazed by Ranks 5-15 and he's still struggling. His decks likely have a sub 50% matchup against the entire field and he's only making it up by being a really good player.

he hits at least rank 5 by the end of the season, but I do remember seeing him play a legit deck trying to get to legend. I think it was midrange paladin

ZealousD

Yeah that's what I said and that's similar to what some Midrange Secret lists run (replace one comp Spirit with one of the other two secrets). Though it's more common to run 7.

Yeah 7 is the sweet spot imo. Double up on Avenge and Noble Sac.

Dahbomb

Loving that new and original deck Strifecro is playing right now.
I didn't think this was a troll so I actually tuned in to see Strifecro's Aggro Secret Paladin playing against another Aggro Secret Paladin...

Chat is going ham saying that Strifecro is losing to a bot. Sad part is that I really can't actually if it's a bot or if it's just a bad player who's winning anyway because of Secret Paladin.

Dahbomb

Handlock is falling in the ranks due to the inability to interact with boards consistently before turn 4. Mountain Giant in particular has been deemed too slow against most classes. Most decks at the moment are able to get on board for very quickly and forces the Handlock to make incredible risks or suboptimal plays. As a result this deck is rarely seen and is actually dropping in ranks more and more.
YOU_DONT_SAY.png

Strifecro is a great player, but I have no idea why anybody would want to watch someone play Agro Secret Pally

LOL at DieMing and Pingpingho's rankings

Dahbomb

I was watching Pingpingho play his Shaman at Blizzcon.

Basically there he played a Totem Golem on turn 6 and was unable to play Dr Balanced on turn 7 because of it. It almost cost him the game but he was eventually able to play Dr Balanced on turn 9 and won with like a top dick Al Akir or something.

I just couldn't help but think "man any other class in that situation would've won the game by now and would've actually played Dr Balanced on curve".

The overload mechanic in the current meta is at its most punishing. When people are putting down best minions on every turn, you can't afford to put down the best minion and then a much weaker minion the following turn because of overload. All of this has really made re-evaluate Totem Golem. I still think the card is good and that's why it's still used in every Shaman deck but this is the type of card that Shaman doesn't need more of in the future. Like Blizzard better not give them a 3 mana 4/5 1 overload minion in the future... they need to find better ways to make use of overloaded crystals.

Kunohara

Just played against a priest using this weblord/hobgoblin deck that Zetalot was apparently playing today. I was playing control warrior. Every time he used divine spirit and or velen's, I would just execute or shield slam it. I put down a Ysera, he puts one down. I just nightmare'd it and BGH'ed it, and he could not deal with it for several turns. His weblord actually was on the board for several turns. Too bad it wasn't affecting me at all, heh.

I just find it really funny as soon as someone posts a deck on reddit that a streamer uses, I see it on ladder right away. I knew exactly what was in the deck and was able to deal with it.

ZealousD

I was watching Pingpingho play his Shaman at Blizzcon.

Basically there he played a Totem Golem on turn 6 and was unable to play Dr Balanced on turn 7 because of it. It almost cost him the game but he was eventually able to play Dr Balanced on turn 9 and won with like a top dick Al Akir or something.

I just couldn't help but think "man any other class in that situation would've won the game by now and would've actually played Dr Balanced on curve".

The overload mechanic in the current meta is at its most punishing. When people are putting down best minions on every turn, you can't afford to put down the best minion and then a much weaker minion the following turn because of overload. All of this has really made re-evaluate Totem Golem. I still think the card is good and that's why it's still used in every Shaman deck but this is the type of card that Shaman doesn't need more of in the future. Like Blizzard better not give them a 3 mana 4/5 1 overload minion in the future... they need to find better ways to make use of overloaded crystals.

There are several problems with Totem Shaman that make it so it isn't as good as it could be right now.

1.) You can't think of it as a 2 mana creature. It's a 3 mana creature you play on Turn 2. So when you are evaluating your curve for Shaman, you have to think of it as a 3 drop and then you need 2 drops to support it. But in this current tempo meta, Shaman doesn't have any strong 2 drops. Whirling Zap-o-Matic is a very inconsistent card because it needs to survive a turn to get any benefit. And it's a poor drop on Turn 3. It's like playing Knife Juggler on curve which always creates for sad times. Shaman doesn't have any strong on-curve 2-mana complimentary cards like Mad Scientist, Shielded Minibot, Wild Growth, Darnassass Aspirant, Fiery War Axe, etc. The best they have is Haunted Creeper, which is still a little slow.

2.) It doesn't cleanly answer other popular 2 drops. Totem Golem needs to be able to really fuck up other 2 drops to get clear value and it doesn't so often. At least, not in this meta. It doesn't cleanly answer mad scientist, shielded minibot, haunted creeper, or wyrmest agent, which are some of the most popular 2 drops right now. It does pretty well against fiery war axe, darnassass aspirant, knife juggler, sorcerer's apprentice, and king's elekk, but only aspirant and juggler are top tier and juggler is usually avoided on curve if possible. This is a big reason why the card is SO MUCH more powerful in arena at the moment.

3.) It competes against Tuskarr Totemic. Tuskarr Totemic is the only other really solid early game shaman card right now for a mid-range deck and you can't have both of them in your opening hand at the same time. .It's too awkward.

Basically, Totem Golem is still a really great card, but Shaman doesn't have the complete toolset for some kind of tempo shaman deck. You're often hero powering on Turn 3 because you just used totem golem and you don't have a good 2-drop to follow it up. Or you miss your 2 drop (or play haunted creeper) and follow up with Tuskarr Totemic, so you can't get ahead to protect the Tuskarr and you lose the board.

Peléo

Yeah, recognized your avatar after you responded. I think no one expected MM would be this broken and shape the whole metagame. Still, always interesting to review predictions after their out. People called Mistcaller insane...

Dahbomb

Main card I got wrong was Mulch. Not because it's a bad card but because it does not fit into the type of cards that Druids put in their decks.

All used Druid cards basically boil down to:

Can it do damage.
Can it draw.
Can it ramp.

For Aggro Druids even the second option is not used. Mulch does not fit into any of these categories and thus sees no play. As long as the Druid combo exists, Mulch will not see play except in Fatigue decks.

I guess Mulch, Polymorph Boar and Enter the Colisseum. None of which I still feel are bad but they either don't fit currently or there are better options. Kinda like Dreadscale in Hunter.

As far as a card I thought would not see play but is seeing play is Bash. Card is really damn good and that's the main reason CW has been relevant in an aggressive meta. Warriors now have a decent answer to Shredders in the former of Bash plus Axe (as compared to before where you had to use two weapon charges and lots of face damage to deal with).

ZealousD

Main card I got wrong was Mulch. Not because it's a bad card but because it does not fit into the type of cards that Druids put in their decks.

All used Druid cards basically boil down to:

Can it do damage.
Can it draw.
Can it ramp.

For Aggro Druids even the second option is not used. Mulch does not fit into any of these categories and thus sees no play. As long as the Druid combo exists, Mulch will not see play except in Fatigue decks.

I guess Mulch, Polymorph Boar and Enter the Colisseum. None of which I still feel are bad but they either don't fit currently or there are better options. Kinda like Dreadscale in Hunter.

As far as a card I thought would not see play but is seeing play is Bash. Card is really damn good and that's the main reason CW has been relevant in an aggressive meta. Warriors now have a decent answer to Shredders in the former of Bash plus Axe (as compared to before where you had to use two weapon charges and lots of face damage to deal with).

So how's that Confuse deck working out for you?
crazy.gif

Dahbomb

So how's that Confuse deck working out for you?
crazy.gif
I always cited Confuse as a gimmick card belonging to Inner Fire Priest deck (that's actually what I meant by Confuse deck). Nothing more nothing less. I don't even have Confuse in my collection to try it out. I did once lose against it though where it was used like an OTK.

Whenever I talk about cards and "THE DREAM" I don't actually think the card is good because good cards are good without dream situations. Kinda like Astral Communion. In dream scenario, it's game winning but in many cases it can be a dead card.

Only exception being MC and pulling the 5 secret dream.

Dahbomb

You called it one of your favorite cards in the set!
Yes and so is Astral Communion! Actually Astral Communion might be my favorite card from TGT.

Favorite doesn't even mean good (well competitive at least), it just means it's an interesting concept with interesting implications.

My favorite card in all of Hearthstone is probably Mimiron Head/Voltron.

ZealousD

You also called Mysterious Challenger one of your favorites.

I bet you wanna walk back on that one. =P

Dahbomb

You also called Mysterious Challenger one of your favorites.

I bet you wanna walk back on that one. =P
I am not sure why I called MC one of my favorites, maybe I misspoke on that front. I actually hate that type of card effect similar to Mad Scientist. Maybe I was trying to sell MC too hard because a lot of people didn't think the card was going to be that good.

Anyway it's going to be interesting going back on the re-review. Time to eat some delicious crow!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Imagine if you could go to your battle.net profile page and see your collection, stats and other things without any external tool...

Crazy talk. How about a new adventure + skins?

gutshot

Hearthpwn released a collection manager tool, no more spreadsheets.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1075-introducing-innkeeper-the-hearthstone-digital

Imagine if you could go to your battle.net profile page and see your collection, stats and other things without any external tool...

Or even if they just had an API that made it easier for third-party tools to access all that relevant information. That would be super easy to setup and then Blizzard could just sit back and watch all kinds of great apps spring up to take advantage of the API.

Dahbomb

In the spirit of positivity and to reduce sodium levels... post your favorite/best designed cards in Hearthstone.

Here's my top 10 all time:

1) Jaraxxus: Easily my favorite card of all time in Hearthstone and why Handlock is my favorite deck to play. More effort went into making Jaraxxus than the new hero portraits that Blizzard charges you $10 for.

2) Mind Control: It's the only 10 mana spell in the game besides Pyroblast and that alone makes it exciting. It's also an extremely powerful effect that can be game winning. It's sad that the meta is so aggressive and tempo based that you often don't even cast this spell or if you do it's on some weeny creature that is actually a tempo loss if you steal it (ideally you want to steal a minion that is worth 5 mana or more for MC to have the appropriate amount of tempo).

3) Mimiron's Head: Amazing ability, amazing visual effect... just great stuff all around. It's like a semi win condition but it's extremely difficult to set up.

4) Astra Communion - Already talked about this card before but this card is so extreme that it's hard not to like. In a recent Tavern Brawl this card made Druid the best class to use because if you got this in your opening hand you basically won the Brawl (unless against another Druid).

5) Echo of Medivh: This card allows for some interesting decks and playstyle, most specifically the Echo Giants deck (now it comes with Frost Giants as well). There's more potential with this card when they add new cards and that's always cool to see.

6) Confuse: Another card with a very interesting effect that has implications. It obviously belongs in the Inner Fire Priest deck but there will always be Brawls/Adventures where this card is going to be game breaking because it's mechanics are so powerful.

7) Shadow Step: This card alone enables a lot of interesting stuff with Rogue because of all the multiple Battlecries you can get off. From Miracle Rogue to Mill Rogue... both very different decks but both revolve around the use of this spell. Any future neutral minion with a very powerful battlecry has to be designed around the existence of this card.

8) Dreadsteed: If I had some extra dust I would craft two of these and play a Dreadsteed deck. It's just such an interesting card design and more importantly it synergizes very well with the Warlock cards that have the negative effects. Hell it even makes Sacrificial Pact (a garbage card) into something that is usable!

9) Lorewalker Cho: You know this card was going to be in it! If there was a deck that was playable without any spell then Lorewalker would be used in it. Back in the old days Lorewalker used to be played in Zoolock but Lorewalker had better stats. Nevertheless this effect is super cool... well until it comes out of a Shredder and ruins your game!

10) Majordormo Executus: Man this card is fucking garbage... but you can't deny that it is interesting as hell!

Honorable mentions to: Lava Shock, Feign Death, Light of the Naaru, Justicar Truehearth, Bolf Ramshield, Gallywix, Chillmaw, Faceless Manipulator, Alexstrasza.

In the spirit of positivity and to reduce sodium levels... post your favorite/best designed cards in Hearthstone.

Lord Jaraxxus - Easily the card with the most thought put into it
Sylvanas - Forces uneven trades and smart plays
Azure Drake - Just all around well designed.
Cruel Taskmaster - For proccing Garrosh or removing an annoying 1 hp minion.
Tirion Fordring - PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE LIGHT.
Loatheb - Played at the right time can win you the game if your foresight is good
Preparation - Makes wombo combos
Iron Juggernaut - Conceptually awesome card
Vol'jin - Removal + solid body for a cheap cost
Malygos - I AM THE ESSENCE OF MAGICKHKKHK! And also the only card that isn't just +1 to spell damage!
Gladiator's Longbow - Removal without needing to trade minions, too bad Huntards would never trade
Feugen and Stalag/Mimiron's Head - for Exodia potential
Cairne Bloodhoof - Double yeti for the price of a yeti and a half
Nexus-Champion Saraad - All around fun card. Not great, but usable
Deathwing - I AM POWER INCARNATE
Faceless Manipulator - Enemy has a nice minion? Copy that. You have a nice minion? Copy that too.
Gorehowl - You have all that armor, why not use it?
Keeper of the Grove - Amazing utility.
Twisting Nether - Has the coolest animation (aside from Voltron)
Shadowform - Potentially has the ability to make an entirely different class entirely.
Auchenai Soulpriest - Extremely unique and cool effect
Zombie Chow - Appears terrible to a new player, but actually a great anti aggro tool
Avenging Wrath - Just bomb the board and pray something good happens.

Top Bottom