• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just waiting for big names like Kripp and Trump to cut down on Hearthstone as well. It's a sinking ship, if you're a big time streamer you need to branch out to other games like people like Lirik and Sodapoppin.
I hear the game is dying even worse than Dota 2 (which as we know is basically days from the grave). Blizzard's headquarters is currently on fire and the entire Hearthstone team has been reassigned to work as security guards at King.com. Half the acquisition cost of King was actually just them hiding how much money the game has been losing.

They're probably canceling all the game announcements at Blizzcon as well. They won't have any remaining community in the two day wait for updates on where the game is headed so they won't bother.

The Twitch viewers at 69,498 people right now in second place are actually just Actvision paying off Amazon (big corporate loves big corporate!) and it's really more like 7000 people.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Just waiting for big names like Kripp and Trump to cut down on Hearthstone as well. It's a sinking ship, if you're a big time streamer you need to branch out to other games like people like Lirik and Sodapoppin.

So are you saying burn it all down? I wonder if that would actually happen, maybe if that elder scrolls card game is any good but who knows when that will be out.

Owzers

I hear the game is dying even worse than Dota 2 (which as we know is basically days from the grave). Blizzard's headquarters is currently on fire and the entire Hearthstone team has been reassigned to work as security guards at King.com. Half the acquisition cost of King was actually just them hiding how much money the game has been losing.

They're probably canceling all the game announcements at Blizzcon as well. They won't have any remaining community in the two day wait for updates on where the game is headed so they won't bother.

The Twitch viewers at 69,498 people right now in second place are actually just Actvision paying off Amazon (big corporate loves big corporate!) and it's really more like 7000 people.

I didn't know things were this bad

gutshot

Forsen, Ekop, Trolden and Lothar were all streaming Overwatch all day yesterday and having a blast. It was weird seeing Forsen enjoy himself on stream.

Xanathus

Hearthstone isn't going to suffer from some sudden migration unless Blizzard tries to do something crazy like remove daily quests, but it's definitely looking like it's going to slowly die out like WoW as people gradually lose interest and the HS team is unable to make playing on ladder an experience that people actually WANT to do. I'm just saying that any intelligent streamer should slowly branch out to other games so that they aren't known as just a "Hearthstone" streamer. You can see people like Forsen already doing that as he seems to be doing other games more regularly.

Tacitus_

3 control warriors in a row... goddamn this aggro meta. Can't handle the face rushes
laugh.gif

Hearthstone isn't going to suffer from some sudden migration unless Blizzard tries to do something crazy like remove daily quests, but it's definitely looking like it's going to slowly die out like WoW as people gradually lose interest and the HS team is unable to make playing on ladder an experience that people actually WANT to do. I'm just saying that any intelligent streamer should slowly branch out to other games so that they aren't known as just a "Hearthstone" streamer. You can see people like Forsen already doing that as he seems to be doing other games more regularly.

Pretty sure they reported record profits year after year and their stock is mulitplying up like bunnies in heat. This isn't because people are slowly ditching the game I would imagine.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm definitely losing interest myself. I've been trying to cut down to only playing for daily quests and have been actually do it for the past 2 weeks. Haven't watched a single hearthstone stream in a couple of weeks either.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

Hearthstone dead confirmed
PogChamp.png
Mods delete the thread and ban every user who has posted here burn it down
4Head.png

Yeah i noticed that forsen and trump have been streaming more overwatch leaving less time for hearthstone, it surprised me a lot but i guess that TF3 is the new hot stuff.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To note, I'm not saying the game doesn't have problems. It obviously does. But like, we're two days from them unveiling more and explicitly being asked about these issues in interviews.

If their answers all suck, I think it makes more sense to hit the panic button then than in the middle of the quiet month they have every year leading up to this event.

On the streamer note, many of the Hearthstone streamers who are popular actually were streamers before hand, which is how they started getting their popularity.

You'll notice that Trump is TrumpSC, the SC standing for StarCraft. Forsen is also from StarCraft.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Pretty sure they reported record profits year after year and their stock is mulitplying up like bunnies in heat. This isn't because people are slowly ditching the game I would imagine.

None of this has anything to do with Hearthstone. Blizzard is a large company with a fair number of other products. This game has not been around all that long so to say their stock is going up and profits increasing "year after year" literally cannot be all that relevant, and certainly not relevant to what has happened in the past 6 months.

Funny to compare Hearthstone to WoW, in Hearthstone the developers seem to care a lot more about newer players and less serious ones but in WoW for the longest time most of the new content has been aimed at raiders of varying degrees of seriousness. I can't imagine more then 2% of the community raids Mythic, and that's probably really high. I guess there isn't much of an equivalent in Hearthstone except for Legend rank and maybe doing adventures on Heroic which is completely pointless.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I turned on the first available ladder stream and a thoughtful play was immediately negated by silence, so the caster started repeating, "nice cancer". Hearthstone is also one of the few userbases on Twitch that has a more global reach, so I'm not really surprised that the numbers stay high, but they're not particularly indicative of anything. Many of these streamers are pros who need to put in hours on the game, and have a fan base that revolves around Hearthstone. Even in spite of that the number of big names in the community that seem disappointed in the game seem like they're at an all time high. Negative word of mouth around the game can and will spread.

Lots of people based around the scene who are high level players or otherwise are coming out to talk about how the game is becoming increasingly less fun to play. Strong balance and design is pretty important for a game's health long-term. I don't really think it's irrational or unreasonable for people to say stuff like, "Wow, the game is not fun to play right now and I don't like the course it's been heading down."

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Do you write for Kotaku?

While i dont agree with the game has evolved i think there's no need to panic yet, Blizz can still fix and improve the major issues.

Personally i think that GvG made the game too rng based. Its the direction that Blizz took the game, i might not like it but it's their game. (NERF DR BOOM PLS)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't really think it's irrational or unreasonable for people to say stuff like, "Wow, the game is not fun to play right now and I don't like the course it's been heading down."
That's a very favorable read on the phraseology and extent of statements being levied at the game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Forsen, Ekop, Trolden and Lothar were all streaming Overwatch all day yesterday and having a blast. It was weird seeing Forsen enjoy himself on stream.

Dad was happy cuz he sold like 2000+ shirts.

I quite like hearthstone, but i have never spent money so maybe i don't feel the same attachment
I spent good money and still like the core game, but dont like the 'meta' and how Blizz made it so RNG based.

Wanna see HS at its best? Watch the Colegiate tournament, so many cool non ladder decks.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That's a very favorable read on the phraseology and extent of statements being levied at the game.
This is the internet so most of the time I just internally tone down the intensity of comments positive or negative.

Yeah the game becomes increasingly less fun to play by the day. The matches where I feel like we were constantly on equal footing and victory was decided by a smart play or a tech card are few and far between the ones where I or the opponent get a perfect curve or topdeck perfect lethal.

None of this has anything to do with Hearthstone. Blizzard is a large company with a fair number of other products. This game has not been around all that long so to say their stock is going up and profits increasing "year after year" literally cannot be all that relevant, and certainly not relevant to what has happened in the past 6 months.

So hearthstone doesn't make much money?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Blizzard put combo decks in their sights for not being fun. Now it is apparent that the game has become so sticky and so tempo based that you cant punish anybody for certain lines of play anymore. Which means deck archetypes are becoming increasingly homogenized. Unless you play freeze mage, which is also super unfun to play against.

Blizzard needs to nerf MC and they need to think about doing some major house cleaning for the next major expansion.

manhack

I think a lot of how you feel about the game depends on how much of your play time it has consumed. It is likely that only Diablo 2 has been played more by me in terms of hours played, but I managed to take lengthy breaks from the game when I am bored.

Streamers, on the other hand, are in a situation where they need to play Hearthstone to keep subscribers and donations coming in: they must be extremely burnt out. I think the only way we will see big streamers jump ship is when the viewer numbers start to drop. Hearthstone is such a great game for a caster and viewer that I don't expect it will lose its appeal any time soon.

Pooya

I don't know about Hearthstone being doomed or not, but popular players are definitely not happy with the game, and I recall when those players left SCII that game kinda died. Now by dead I mean, there are SCII tournaments all the time, it's not at top of the twitch ever but it's still on the front page often and it's still being developed and everything but it's not a game that is flourishing or growing. HS could become like that too, it's not the end and they will make bank for years to come but it's something they might want to prevent. If that takes changing their stance on game's management and some of their design principles they really like to stick to, I think it's worth it.

Dahbomb

HS will remain healthy as long as they keep introducing more content and more features. And that's what they plan to do at Blizzcon.

Best thing about HS is that you always know that new content is around the corner.

Metas keep changing and all these streamers taking a break will be back when the shiny new cards come because that's what their viewer base wants to see.

And if the game starts to really stagnate then Blizzard can definitely change their design philosophies. That's what happened with Diablo 3.

I don't think many big streamers quit (if any?). I guess toast dude is making less youtube content. But eager people will step up and fill his shoes, there is definitely a market for it. And despite most hearthstone pros and streamers not streaming this week because they are at or going to blizcon, we still see it sitting comfortably at number 2 on the twitch charts.

I don't mind people saying the game is no longer fun for themselves. But I think it is dangerous and uncalled for to pronounce that they speak for people, other than themselves. Ever since beta, I've come to realize there will always be that type of person who, once they decide to quit a game, tries to spread negativity and pronounce the game is dying... perhaps even every week over the last 2 years. It is just nonsense you come to expect on the blizzard official forums.

I'm looking forward to what they announce at blizcon.

rac

Banned
I actually like playing face hunter. Don't have to worry about shit draws just play cards and if you lose who cares.

Dahbomb

I am not going to lie, that blue colored secret has me fuckin nervous. Last thing we need right now is a 4-5 mana secret for Shaman.

Personally I would love an All Around Azeroth expansion that gives some areas more love like Pandaria, the Naga, the Qiraji, and countless dungeons.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I welcome the inevitable introduction of a format where only the X most recent sets are allowed to be played. It won't happen for another year maybe, but when it does and GvG gets out of the format, that will be the most fun way to play this game.

There is a reason Magic the Gathering has been doing it that way for like 10+years. The people making actual physical cards probably know something about making actual physical card games fun.

Im definitely waiting on seeing what they unveil next. I mean if the developers play their own game, they should know it's not all that interesting to get killed from an empty board by druids, navigating a swarm of secret paladins, or the meta of playing the best stat for stat minion on curve. If not, then god help us all

manhack

I don't mind people saying the game is no longer fun for themselves. But I think it is dangerous and uncalled for to pronounce that they speak for people, other than themselves. .

Exactly a a little bit before TGT came out I took at least a month off playing HS. I let my dailies expire and played a bunch of other stuff. I had a ton of fun with Diablo 3, CS:GO, some PS4 game back log, etc.

I'm having fun with Hearthstone at the moment because I am working on golden heroes and only have Rogue left, so you know I've played way too much of the game.

I still get annoyed when I queue into the same deck 5 times in a row, but usually that is only because my deck is bad against it. Running Shaman vs Paladin was annoying as hell. Now that I'm playing Rogue, the match up is at least better.

I also think I've been lucky to see a lot more diversity in the classes and decks I've been playing against. I see aggro, control, tempo and all classes represented every time I play. There are always popular decks being played (paladin, druid, hunter, mage) but I don't think things are as bad as Reddit would make it seem.

Exactly a a little bit before TGT came out I took at least a month off playing HS. I let my dailies expire and played a bunch of other stuff. I had a ton of fun with Diablo 3, CS:GO, some PS4 game back log, etc.

Yeah, I didn't play a lot during the time leading up to BRM and for a few months during BRM. It was a nice recharge period.

I also think I've been lucky to see a lot more diversity in the classes and decks I've been playing against. I see aggro, control, tempo and all classes represented every time I play. There are always popular decks being played (paladin, druid, hunter, mage) but I don't think things are as bad as Reddit would make it seem.

I am seeing a lot of diversity myself. I've only played 33 matches this month and paladin only represented 8 of those, so roughly 25%. And even then the paladin matches were really spread out. And even in that class it wasn't all secret paladin and was at least 1 aggro paladin and several midrange paladins (also doesn't hurt I am still 100% winrate versus them).

After today I am seeing more control and patron warrior than even druid, but not by much. So paladin then warrior then druid. Every other classes is roughly 2-3 matches, including rogue, but shaman only has 1.

This is a lot more diverse than say undertaker hunter meta where sometimes you'd see 50% of the ladder playing some form of hunter, or at least that is how it felt. That meta was much worse than this one. And face hunter metas... while counterable just aren't very interactive and get boring. I just don't get where people are seeing all this aggro, cause even among druids it isn't all aggro druid and aggro druid is definitely the most played aggro deck atm.

Today I played 3 control warriors in a row. As rogue, beating 2 of those I feel pretty good about that. Damn death's bite. Damn you back to back death's bite to hell. Then 1 midrange paladin. Followed up by a malylock I lost to and then requeued into and beat. 0 aggro so far today.

Portugeezer

Just a note, blessing of wisdom on gearmaster doesn't work lol.

Also, some guy just kept buffing the gearmaster, we got him to 22 attack lol

Fersis

Brawl is live (At least in LATAM)

Owzers

Im definitely waiting on seeing what they unveil next. I mean if the developers play their own game, they should know it's not all that interesting to get killed from an empty board by druids, navigating a swarm of secret paladins, or the meta of playing the best stat for stat minion on curve. If not, then god help us all

they really need to take a large view of the decks and cards that fuel them and not try to just nerf one thing per half year.

Fersis

lol my first 2 brawls and my partner concedes after 2 turns.
SUCH A LUST OF PACKS!

Top Bottom