• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Tarazet

If mill became popular / tier 1, couldn't you just run an aggressive or combo deck with zero draw and be fine? I feel like the only time I have issues with them are when I have a deck with goof draw / card generation.

Can you mill a face hunter? Answer: Yes, you can.

Mill decks stomp all over something like Freeze Mage. They can abuse something like a Control Warrior or Reno Lock pretty bad too. Sky-high skill cap against most decks, though. That's the real reason it will never be top tier. You can't just play shit on curve like a Paladin.

IceMarker

Meta snapshot 43

Aggro Shaman out of Tier 1, Freeze Mage in, with Tempo Mage the highest in Tier 2.

HjFNmy5.gif

This was easily the top 5 best Tavern Brawl that Blizzard made. Even in its last day I am seeing more variety in Brawl than in Constructed. Just played a Spell Hunter with Lock n Load against my Renolock.
Makes me wish they would buff underused cards even more. The amount of untapped variety in this game is unbelievable. I really hate their anti-buff/nerf philosophy. (And even then, they would then overdo it.)

ViviOggi

Finally had my first 12-1 run today. The only times I had gone 12 wins in the past were 12-2 runs so having a 12-1 under my belt felt pretty nice. I felt like it was even slightly more impressive once you realize that I went up against 5 Paladins and 4 Mages to do it! I was Paladin myself of course but my draft didn't really feel that disgusting, just a smattering of Paladin's crazy kit here and there.

Don't want to rain on your parade but that draft is pure
(and 90% Paladin/Mage is just standard)

Congrats anyway

Pooya

hopefully face shaman dies off, it's just so bad for rogue. Rogue is ok against druid and freeze mage and pretty good against secret paladin. It could be a good ladder choice again. But if freeze mage is popular, cw morons will come back again, it's just running in a circle. It's funny no matter what happens, secret paladin is still great, it really doesn't have an unwinnable match up. Just curve well and it will beat anything.

FeD.nL

Which is exactly something that he fails to understand.

He is basically the opposite spectrum of the HS player. Some players enjoy rushing the opponent down and hate drawn out fatigue games... other players hate quick games and enjoy games drawn out to fatigue. Games decided by fatigue are lame and in many cases are extremely non interactive (if no one is playing minions how the hell are the playees going to interact with each other with removals in hand). That said games decided by turn 5 are also not that fun when it came down to who got the better draw/curve.

Game is balanced around the 30 HP. The deck size, burn spells, heal spells, HP manipulation cards and mana acceleration cards all take into account the max HP of a player. If the game is tempo/aggro minion driven then that's not the fault of the HP it's the fault of minions power creeping above spell/weapon power.

Combo decks like Oil Rogue work with the 30 HP in mind. The Oil Rogue has a limited amount of damage in its deck and against higher HP it will struggle to finish games even with combo pieces. It's why Warrior does well against Rogue.

Aggro decks wouldn't be able to close out games before the Fatigue deck stabilizes if HP was higher.

Higher HP also makes cards like Reno, Alex and Tree of Life even stronger as heals.

That Thijs/Ostkaka match at the WC was the best game of HS I've watched so far where they were counting fatique dmg, pinging themselves etc. Much much more enjoyable than the Face Hunter mirrors we were having earlier in the year.

Haunted

This Tempostorm is a bait.

They did that shit two months ago as well. Put in Freeze Mage in tier 1 and didn't have Secret Paladin as #1. Then people played CW to farm the Freeze Mage while the Druids farmed the Warriors and Freeze Mage and Secret Paladins farmed every body. Then at the end of the month they put the king as #1 and Freeze Mage back to #2.

It's cyclical ladder stuff.
It's not like things always change week to week, especially when there are no new cards, decks or nerfs. Sometimes they just have to shuffle some stuff around to justify even putting out a separate snapshot. No one would click on the article if it was literally the same as last week.

Haven't we more or less established that Liquidhearth's Power Ranks is the superior meta list?

http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/499776-power-ranks-121-paladin-hangs-on
In Liquid we trust.

Dahbomb

That Thijs/Ostkaka match at the WC was the best game of HS I've watched so far where they were counting fatique dmg, pinging themselves etc. Much much more enjoyable than the Face Hunter mirrors we were having earlier in the year.
It was exciting because it doesn't happen a lot. If every game was like that then HS would start to die out pretty quickly.
Haven't we more or less established that Liquidhearth's Power Ranks is the superior meta list?

http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/499776-power-ranks-121-paladin-hangs-on
That's more like it although Maly and CW a bit high on that list.

ViviOggi

Man every game is basically secretadin. This nerf can't come soon enough.
That's a good one

Blizz is still giving players the chance to find the epic counter to Secredin, while everyone who has progressed past rank 20 understands that there's no counter to a perfect curve. Then we'll get some Weblord-/Exorcist-tier "tech cards" in the next expansion which will do nothing but annoy arena players. At that point Blizzard's next move depends on one thing: did Paladin get another beyond broken card or just four ridiculous ones? If it's the former they'll nerf MC as everyone is busy pumping money into packs trying to get the new Dr., otherwise it stays on the "watchlist" for another year like Boom while players can keep enjoying the fun and interactive Paladin deck building challenge. Brawl's open all year, come in and say hello.

Ben Brode's Twitter said something about it shouldn't interact with Brann the way the text on EO is worded.
I haven't even played a game and the dream is already dead. That's a huge bummer but I guess it makes sense if Ooze makes a duplicate when it's not your turn.

Thanks for the heads up.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ben Brode's Twitter said something about it shouldn't interact with Brann the way the text on EO is worded.

That's kinda bullshit. It's probably a technical thing, because that really isn't an obvious exception.

ViviOggi

See nothing but Paladin and Druid scum for days

Play Tempo Mage for dailies

Renolock, Renowarrior, Face Hunter, Dragon Priest, Control Priest w/ every single board clear in the game

Even matchmaking is rigged to punish you for not playing Paladin

Oh, just had another random idea. It's probably terrible but the is reason why I'm sharing it. What made me think it about it was trying to figure out how Warlocks could 'pay' for more powerful cards. They already have cards that take Health, Cards, and Mana, and there are cards that destroy their minion or give your opponent Mana. What if Warlocks could give up a turn as a resource? So basically something like this;

Manipulating Shivarra - 3 Mana - 6/6
Skip your next turn. On the turn after, gain +4/+4.

To go into more detail:
Warlock plays this Demon and ends turn > other player does whatever > Warlock draws a card but their turn then automatically ends > other player does whatever > Demon turns into a 10/10 and can attack while the Warlock returns to normal play

So again, I'm not thinking about this as something Warlocks or the game needs but merely as a new idea in how Warlocks can sacrifice or pay for a powerful demon. Hard to say if even a huge advantage like that would even be worthwhile considering how important it is to play something on every turn though.

Also, I know that in MTG, there are ways to skip turns, does anyone know if there are cards where a player will willingly skip their turn for a benefit?

That's kinda bullshit. It's probably a technical thing, because that really isn't an obvious exception.

Not really, EO isn't a battle cry, it's more similar to emperor in that it activates at the end of the turn. Battlecries activate technically before the minion even enters the field which is why you get the flame ele -> mad scientist -> mirror entity issue

Not really, EO isn't a battle cry, it's more similar to emperor in that it activates at the end of the turn. Battlecries activate technically before the minion even enters the field which is why you get the flame ele -> mad scientist -> mirror entity issue

They should probably remove the keyword then, if they even can. I could see that if they need to use the Battle Cry system for it to clone itself but there should be a way for them to hide the keyword.

I'm curious as to why they have to use that keyword now. Chances are it's because Battle Cries only trigger once where Special Effects trigger whenever a condition is met.

Pooya

Renolock, Renowarrior, Face Hunter, Dragon Priest, Control Priest w/ every single board clear in the game

I'm pretty sure match making is rigged. The game goes out of its way to match me with somebody 2 ranks ahead of me just to fetch the worst possible match up. It's like you're required to beat that worst case for last game to rank up.

Dahbomb

Punished for not playing Paladin

Sounds about right.

I say this every week... Blizzard aren't going to nerf MC until everyone here starts playing Secret Paladin on Ladder. The honor code bull shit just feeds into Blizzard's faulty statistics.

Though most have probably moved on from this conversation but when it comes back up again...

What is you simply changed Mysterious Challenger from a battlecry to a deathrattle?

CivRab

Anyone up for some sparring on EU?
Want to test out some deck changes before I take it to ladder and have 0 friends who play hearth :'(

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think you can leave MC alone stats wise and keep it a powerful card but not insane, buy saying it can only pull 1 (maybe 2?) secrets. Pick 2 at random from the deck. You get to keep the powerful body but lose the ability to "Christmas tree" all the powerful secrets at once. It would force secret pallies to chose which of those secrets they really want to play. Likely most would keep Avenge and Noble Sac, which means that they lose the Redemption, Competitive Spirt, etc. That seems like the easiest fix.

Raxus

I think you can leave MC alone stats wise and keep it a powerful card but not insane, buy saying it can only pull 1 (maybe 2?) secrets. Pick 2 at random from the deck. You get to keep the powerful body but lose the ability to "Christmas tree" all the powerful secrets at once. It would force secret pallies to chose which of those secrets they really want to play. Likely most would keep Avenge and Noble Sac, which means that they lose the Redemption, Competitive Spirt, etc. That seems like the easiest fix.

Except it doesn't fix much since they would run the same amount of secrets and get rewarded since it filters all the same.

Look what they did to Patron. You better believe when they nerf Mysterious Challenger they won't go easy on it.

Haunted

Played my first control warrior vs control warrior match in weeks.

It was just as cerebral and fulfilling as I imagined it to be.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

It's a battlecry. It says it right on the card. It created two 2/3s in this week's Brawl.

If it worked like emperor it would continue to spawn oozes at the end of each Turn.

ViviOggi

12-0 Rogue, feelsgoodman haven't had a flawless victory in a while

Final boss was another Rogue who I actually beat twice in a row, feelsbadman kicking a fellow Rogue instead of some Paladin scum

Owzers

i'm struggling against secret paladins.....i was playing a violet teacher druid and for me to win he had to make the mistake of playing a Mysterious Challenger and Zombie chow when i had a wraith and BGH in hand. Even with that, he quickly rebuilt the board a muster, knife juggler, blessing in two turns. Keeper of Uldamon kills my druid of the claw taunt :/

It's a battlecry. It says it right on the card. It created two 2/3s in this week's Brawl.

If it worked like emperor it would continue to spawn oozes at the end of each Turn.

Hmm true that is weird, I never saw it as a battle cry since it doesn't activate till the end of turn. They should probably re-label the card then because it doesn't act like any other battle cry.

Or you could see it like this "battle cry: minion creates copy of itself at end of round. So brand activates that twice and the card goes 'make copy of self at end of round' and then again goes 'make copy of self at end of round'". So in a sense it does activate twice it just doesn't change the impact of the battle cry similarly to iron beak or big game.

JesseZao

Hmm true that is weird, I never saw it as a battle cry since it doesn't activate till the end of turn. They should probably re-label the card then because it doesn't act like any other battle cry.

Or you could see it like this "battle cry: minion creates copy of itself at end of round. So brand activates that twice and the card goes 'make copy of self at end of round' and then again goes 'make copy of self at end of round'". So in a sense it does activate twice it just doesn't change the impact of the battle cry similarly to iron beak or big game.

It's similar to Lotheb. Battlecry at its base lets you know the effect only works the turn you play the card.

Edit: If echoing ooze doesn't work with Brann, I do feel that that it's a programming error. Rito pls.

Pooya

I've tried almost everything now, secret paladin, druid, patron, face shaman etc. except priest.

I've been getting the best results with renolock for rank 4-5. it's like the most consistent one to me, I'm actually going up now finally.

Secret paladin is bad, because everyone is targeting it kinda with face decks now or freeze mage, mirror games are coin flip too. I don't think it's as good where everyone is playing it, every third game is against secret paladin for me, It's the most cancerous deck ever, or it could be bots too. There is just sooo many of them.

Druid is almost same now, goddamn you just fold to mirror entity or patrons. Mirror games, you draw bad lose board gg.

Patron is bad too, you lose to every control deck there is.

Face hunter/shaman lose to reno. still not easy if you don't get reno.

Rogue is decent too but I get like every face shaman on ladder.

Priest loses to reno for free.

Warrior loses to reno for free too.

Secret paladin is pretty good for it, I play faceless and it's great on Tirion. Other games I use it on Stalaag/Fuegen. It makes them a LOT better.

Tricky games are druids but it's not one sided like that, god draw druid is unbeatable anyways but normally you have a reasonable shot. It's all about board control with midrange minions and you have better tools than druids.

What's bad are mirror matches, I've played so many today that I started running sac pac, it's working great lol. It's 5 heal for 0 on an imp in some other game, I take it.

So uh, that Secret Paladin deck list on Liquid's rank list is pretty good.

The egg one? That list has so many buffs, I feel it could get unplayable hands. eggs are cool though.

Top Bottom