• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

It may be dull but I'd try to get classes to level 10 through the AI, since you're missing core cards before that point.
I wanted to but I read that you get more exp if you play humans and I'm still winning so I thought why not?
First thing I did

You're close to the point where you'll start losing, but it will be to people still hitting face just with better stuff. It seems like you understand the basics well enough, tbh I'd start watching streamers like Kripp, Hafu or ADWCTA, read some arena guides and jump straight into that. You're gonna hit a wall in either mode, but in constructed you're boned without a better collection while arena will a) actually give you results from improving your play and b) help you expand your collection.

You don't become an infinite arena player overnight, so you'll still find yourself in constructed (or brawl) doing dailies which you'll hopefully enjoy at least a bit, but getting good at arena asap is really worth it. Constructed is in a terrible spot right now and I don't even want to think about playing it as a cardless newcomer.
Thanks for the advice, makes a lot of sense. I already watch Kripp's stream whenever I get a chance so I know what I'm getting into with arena I'm just not confident enough in my deck building skills to actually go for it just yet(though even someone as experienced as him is still using tier lists to decide what cards to pick sometimes).

I guess the only good way to stay F2P is to play arena though and I'm not willing to pay for anything other than adventures(at least those card drops are fixed and they're fun).

jgminto

Yessssss! Time to bust out the Oil properly!

9je87wv.png

Holy shit! Two Legendaries in a row!

ViviOggi

I wanted to but I read that you get more exp if you play humans and I'm still winning so I thought why not?

Thanks for the advice, makes a lot of sense. I already watch Kripp's stream whenever I get a chance so I know what I'm getting into with arena I'm just not confident enough in my deck building skills to actually go for it just yet(though even someone as experienced as him is still using tier lists to decide what cards to pick sometimes).

I guess the only good way to stay F2P is to play arena though and I'm not willing to pay for anything other than adventures(at least those card drops are fixed and they're fun).
Yeah, there's no shame in using tools like HearthArena, looking at the amount of autopilot Paladins and general draft quality nowadays I bet the majority of players is using it. Also check out Kripp and ADWCTA on Youtube if you haven't, I get my daily dose of the Kripparrian every night before bed while ADWCTA and Merps's arena runs are always super insightful, especially when they have Shadybunny or Hafu as guests.

Sande

Except when Reno is at the bottom of your deck. Or you don't draw any board clear so next turn they could just hit you back down to 10hp.
I've only played a few games but my experience so far is that I always have more than enough answers to anything my opponent could throw at me. I'm on a 8 win streak or something. The hairiest situation so far was when a tempo mage managed to drop me too low and get an Antonidas on the board so I had to spend one turn getting rich before I could deal with him. Would have lost that one to a top-decked fireball.

Funny interaction I had against a secret paladin: He had pretty much a full board of 1-4 hp minions, including a shielded minibot. Also an unknown secret. I had played Sylvanas on the previous turn and decided to shadowflame her. Turns out it was avenge so the minibot was buffed and then handed to me. "I greet you".

Pooya

Zero paladin , everything was druid. wow, Reynad has so much power over this game.
And I was enjoying renolock a lot, welp.

I feel like the only player who doesn't pay attention to streamers at all. People are always saying xxx influenced the meta today and I'm like, yeah I'm playing a few games based off my quests then playing whatever decks I'm having fun with at the moment. I only have so much time to play games I don't wanna spend it watching strangers play hearth. Watching my friends is fun though. I'll watch a YouTube vid here and there solely when they talk about cards decks and strategies but the minute they start showing gameplay vids I just wanna go to sleep

ViviOggi

I feel like the only player who doesn't pay attention to streamers at all. People are always saying xxx influenced the meta today and I'm like, yeah I'm playing a few games based off my quests then playing whatever decks I'm having fun with at the moment. I only have so much time to play games I don't wanna spend it watching strangers play hearth. Watching my friends is fun though. I'll watch a YouTube vid here and there solely when they talk about cards decks and strategies but the minute they start showing gameplay vids I just wanna go to sleep
You don't have to invest extra time, HS is like the perfect game to watch streams on the side

Maybe the reason Blizz keeps pushing towards a 100% brainafk tempo meta is a sick deal with Twitch they got

accel

My strategy of watching videos: start an arena run / choose class / compose deck -> watch a recent video of an arena run with the same class -> do my own run.

I guess I could try watching a video even before composing the deck, I wasn't sure if that is safe - is it? is there some kind of a timeout for composing the deck or can I choose the class and leave it at that stage for days?

Ladekabel

Lost to a friend, who's Priest plan is to hit face for 20 with Velen + Mind Blast. Only worked beause his Boom Bots hit my face for 8.

ViviOggi

4-1, my first arena run is already going better than expected. I'm expecting to lose two in a row any second now.
Nice, it's tryhard time in EU right now so that's already pretty damn good for your first run even if you lose your next two. Mind posting the draft?

Also feel free to add me if you'd like some advice sometime, ViviOggi#2280

Haunted

I just played a Grim Patron Warrior who beat me by taking Fireblast from a Mrrgleton and pinging his own Patrons (and Grom for lethal).

c6e184c37df932d599fc1db174c7c7b2c8caf5400bc6b13d6865c1393f7b3122.jpg

Nice, it's tryhard time in EU right now so that's already pretty damn good for your first run even if you lose your next two. Mind posting the draft?

Also feel free to add me if you'd like some advice sometime, ViviOggi#2280
Here it is, also I added you.

Meanwhile I'm 6-2 because the priest I faced DC'd like 1 turn before he had lethal, so that was nice. I think I already reached my peak, time to retire.

ViviOggi

Here it is, also I added you.

Meanwhile I'm 6-2 because the priest I faced DC'd like 1 turn before he had lethal, so that was nice. I think I already reached my peak, time to retire.
I was like "pretty average draft" until I saw the double Conjurer FUCK that card dude how is it a common

Pretty nice tempo-control deck otherwise, nothing too crazy going on

Also legendary day confirmed, I saw so many since last night and drafted three myself (Jaraxxus, Iron Juggernaut, Foe Reaver). None had any real impact though, each secured one game at best. I only ever get the situational legendaries.

MMaRsu

Its pretty good getting a flare from Nefarian when the opposing hunter has 2 secrets active haha. Instaconcede after that lol.

Ended my first arena run 7-3, that's like 4 wins more than I was expecting so I'm pretty happy about it. Earned enough gold to try again(I think I'll spend it on packs though) and got a Justicar and a Kraken in my arena pack. Good day for me.

bjaelke

Also legendary day confirmed, I saw so many since last night and drafted three myself (Jaraxxus, Iron Juggernaut, Foe Reaver). None had any real impact though, each secured one game at best. I only ever get the situational legendaries.

My drafts today have been mediocre at best, but the discover minions/spells have been very kind to me. Gorilla Bot -> Gorilla Bot -> Sneed's Old Shredder -> Avianna.

Discovered 5 legendaries in my current run (8-0).

Speaking of Discovery cards, other than Brann, do you guys think they'll make any cards that effect Discovery cards? For example, a minion with an aura that grants you four cards to discover from instead of three. I could also see a card in the Ancient Shade / Fel Reaver type were when you play it, your opponent gets to discover a card.

Better yet, couple it with Inspire where you get to discover something on hero power use.

Guys, help me! Even if I don't have a Control Warrior or even a Grommash, I'm tempted to buy Magni. And I don't know why.
There's going to be another major card expansion in what, 2-3 months or so? Save your money for that so you can get a prescription for the new doctor!

Edit: My hefty assumption is that we'll see new things by April-May. LoE came out in November and I'd guess December wasn't too busy because of the holidays, so that gives January and so on for development.

This is based on looking over past release dates of Adventures and Expansions.

ViviOggi

Guys, help me! Even if I don't have a Control Warrior or even a Grommash, I'm tempted to buy Magni. And I don't know why.
CW is a joke anyway, you can build it full retard anti-aggro, maybe win against Shaman but still get clowned on by average Paladin draws and absolutely disintegrated by Druid.

If you buy Magni you do it for arena.

Xanathus

CW is a joke anyway, you can build it full retard anti-aggro, maybe win against Shaman but still get clowned on by average Paladin draws and absolutely disintegrated by Druid.

If you buy Magni you do it for arena.

Patron is waaaaaaaaay better in the ladder meta, so you can use Magni with that.

Parshias7

I could also see a card in the Ancient Shade / Fel Reaver type were when you play it, your opponent gets to discover a card.

Sounds like a neat effect, but Blizzard seems pretty reluctant to let players do anything when its not their turn. They'd have to put a timer on the choice or maybe have the discover part happen on the turn after to prevent the opponent from just sitting around not picking a card to waste time on your turn.

Sounds like a neat effect, but Blizzard seems pretty reluctant to let players do anything when its not their turn. They'd have to put a timer on the choice or maybe have the discover part happen on the turn after to prevent the opponent from just sitting around not picking a card to waste time on your turn.
Yeah, that's a good point. It'd have to be an interesting discover though. Something where you give your opponent a strong, but high cost card, so they can't use it right away.

greepoman

Could just make the discover happen at the beginning of the opponent's turn. Course then you could do weird stuff like nozdormu+make the opponent do multiple discoveries

What happens in this scenario with a Shade Priest.

Turn 1: Pass
Turn 2: Coin Shadow Form
Turn 3: Destroy opponents minion. Drop Sir Finley (Life Tap)
Does the Priest still remain in Shadowform once I have changed Hero Powers?

While this may seem like a stupid play, my deck is desperate for card draw mid-game so Life Tap is an option.

Lets say turn 6 or 7 I draw my 2nd Shadowform. What happens if I play the card? Do I go back to the original 2-damage Hero power or is the Priest still considered in Shadowform so it would be 3-damage?

Its a ridiculous scenario but finding strange decks that work is part of the fun...and its better than playing Secret Paladin all the time.

Shadowform%28421%29_Gold.png

Unstable portaled Justicar turn 3, I should have won a fucking medal if I managed to win that one.

Edit: alright I'm actually encountering people who have absolutely no business being rank 19 with these decks.

IceMarker

I feel like so many neutral basic cards would be competitive again if they had a small change in their stat line somewhere. Imagine if Silverback Patriarch and Dalaran Mage was a 2/4, Reckless Rocketeer a 5/3, Raid Leader a 2/3, War Golem a 7/8, Nightblade a 5/5, Archmage cost 5 mana, Frostwolf Grunt a 2/3, Ironforge Rifleman a 3/3, Lord of the Arena a 6/6, Booty Bay Bodyguard a 5/5, Stormpike Commando a 4/4... Of course Magma Rager taking the rightful place of his cousin at 5/2. Sure, most of these still wouldn't be played, but it would give new players a slightly better chance against the rest of the player base and some that could positively tweak existing decks.

Dahbomb

I feel like so many neutral basic cards would be competitive again if they had a small change in their stat line somewhere. Imagine if Silverback Patriarch and Dalaran Mage was a 2/4, Reckless Rocketeer a 5/3, Raid Leader a 2/3, War Golem a 7/8, Nightblade a 5/5, Archmage cost 5 mana, Frostwolf Grunt a 2/3, Ironforge Rifleman a 3/3, Lord of the Arena a 6/6, Booty Bay Bodyguard a 5/5, Stormpike Commando a 4/4... Of course Magma Rager taking the rightful place of his cousin at 5/2. Sure, most of these still wouldn't be played, but it would give new players a slightly better chance against the rest of the player base and some that could positively tweak existing decks.
Those are all basic cards and Blizzard wants those cards to be bad so you have incentive to buy packs and grow as a player when you figure out that 2 is greater than 1.

Don't worry though, most of those cards will be getting better versions in the future like Boots Bay.

Top Bottom