• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ViviOggi

Still playing Arena so I can even out my Gold and don't have the 5 leftover. Was up against a Druid who got to get of a Druid of the Fang. Even casted Mark of Nature on it. Though I could have easily get rid of it otherwise, I draw an Unstable Portal and I cast it just for the lolz. Got a Black Knight. :D
That's some bullshit but at least it's dream tier rng, it happens and you move on. Meanwhile the consistency of my opponents pulling BGH or Keeper from lategame Scarab is just fucking moronic. Also every Mage I face at 5+ has at least two Conjurers in their first half of the deck, absurd that that's a common but STILL not as outrageous as Uldaman. Fuck that card so goddamn hard.

Pooya

Murloc paladin decks are like freeze mage but with no counter. You either rush them down or you're dead. With doomsayers, double equality, wild pyromancer and I've even seen enter the colosseum once lol it's really hard. double healbot, double lay on hands too.

Sjow was playing control warrior against one of these, he was like at 80 life and could barely tank both anyfin. Yeah...

Haunted

What kind of card do you think is more problematic for the game's overall balance?

Neutrals that are so strong that they're played in almost every archetype, reducing card variety (Boom, Shredder)?

Or class cards that are so strong as to enable whole decks built around them (Mysterious Challenger)?

i.e. which is more harmful, the card that is automatically included in every deck, or the card that pushes just a single deck to be stronger than any other?

ViviOggi

What kind of card do you think is more problematic for the game's overall balance?

Neutrals that are so strong that they're played in almost every archetype, reducing card variety (Boom, Shredder)?

Or class cards that are so strong as to enable whole decks built around them (Mysterious Challenger)?

i.e. which is more harmful, the card that is automatically included in every deck, or the card that pushes just a single deck to be stronger than any other?
Sticky hypervalue minions that cannot be answered remotely evenly as they encourage a braindead playstyle of dropping the best card on curve and then do whatever as your opponent scrambles for non-existant answers. That includes all of the above plus shit like Minibot and Muster. While those two are arguably ridiculous though Paladin was lacking any kind of early game options when they were first printed. The big issue really isn't single cards (besides MC) but the ongoing trend of Blizz refusing to print adequate answers to the cancerous, unclearable value drops they keep introducing.

FeD.nL

I just want a monthly ladder that rotates sets. Like basic cards + something else (1 exp or 2 adventures or 1 exp + 1 adventure). I mean there are three card sets now and three adventures so it should be possible and even has enough combinations to carry the playerbase over to the next exp.

Pooya

Cards that are so good you can stick them in any deck and play them in any situation are worse for the game, neutral or class specific doesn't matter. They have to keep these under control. Keeper of Uldaman is the newest offender here, it goes into any paladin deck, aggro, control, secret etc. These cards reduce variety so I feel they're bad for the game.

Strong cards that enable a new decks are actually good to me. MC is just too strong. We have Goblin Blastmage or Wyrmrest Agent and a lot of others for example. They are very strong for their cost but enable certain decks, they don't go in any deck and you don't win the game when you put them on board like MC. These cards can bring other cards into the game that otherwise won't see play. like MC or Grim Patron have. Grim Patron is a well designed card with that stat, cost and ability. MC isn't. I like this approach overall, you just have to be mindful of how strong the card is.

Dragner

Agh ok back to other games was seeing a paladin drawing 6 cards after a board clear and ragequit.

Divine favour is probably the worst card design of this game. It totally breaks the balance between aggro and control (if you stabilize vs aggro you should win if not you lose. Now even if you stabilize they catch you in resources but you are still near death...).

They dont look to other games? Cards like divine favour are banned in every game (windfall in mtg. Ultra banned in every format).

ViviOggi

Agh ok back to other games was seeing a paladin drawing 6 cards after a board clear and ragequit.

Divine favour is probably the worst card design of this game. It totally breaks the balance between aggro and control (if you stabilize vs aggro you should win if not you lose. Now even if you stabilize they catch you in resources but you are still near death...).

They dont look to other games? Cards like divine favour are banned in every game (windfall in mtg. Ultra banned in every format).
LMAO I didn't know about Windfall, that's the ultimate "fuck you" to control.

Next set:

Ice Favor
3 mana Paladin spell
Common

"Each player discards his or her hand, then draws cards equal to the greatest number of cards a player discarded this way"

gutshot

He made it one week before they announced LoE. Blizzard just didn't release the video until now, presumably deciding to save it until when they felt the community was getting more antsy.

Oh, that explains the "one week away" comment he made in the video then. He's not referring to something that is going to be announced one week from now.

That being said, I do expect they will announce or release a new patch soon with some feature additions and QoL upgrades.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think I've already doubled down, so I'll triple down on the next major card expansion also being a point where we have a major re-organization of cards and formats, with some cards being moved into a legacy format to cut down the size of the card pool.

FeD.nL

I think I've already doubled down, so I'll triple down on the next major card expansion also being a point where we have a major re-organization of cards and formats, with some cards being moved into a legacy format to cut down the size of the card pool.

I really, really, REALLY hope this is happening. The only cards that really make an impact at this point are broken as fuck.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, I mean, this doesn't seem like much of a risk:

Hearthpwn said:
- They try to split releasing content from releasing features to limit the risk with huge patches.
- They have a couple of patches planned before the content release after The League of Explorers.
- Digital-only can let them do a lot with formats, announcements soon, they're planning on radical stuff.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1083-tavern-brawls-and-open-q-a-blizzcon-2015-live
Ben Brode via Hearthpwn said:
Also, I agree we do need to do something about the barrier to entry. I'm not sure it's catastrophic right now, but it won't take too many more expansions before it is. I made a video about this recently, you can check it out here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGc6hAr8r6c

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1144-happy-holidays-from-hearthpwn-ben-brode-on-deck

R A D I C A L S T U F F
R A D I C A L B O Y S
113696.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they have multiple patches planned before the next content release I have to imagine one is coming fairly soon then.

I imagine this patch was one of them given it added in Fate cards along with a few other things: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1131-hearthstone-patch-10956-winterveil-brawl-event

They've said they like to test mechanics in Brawl before releasing them into the wild in an ideal scenario, so I imagine one of the formats involves Fates. The discover brawl was supposed to happen before League of Explorers, but they couldn't get it done in time.

Man game is now so unfun to play. Tempo is so hardcore now if you don't get the perfect answer right out of the gate it snowballs so hard and so fast you pretty much just lose. I can't believe I miss the days where a turn 4 yeti is seen as a powerful play. Now you are likely half dead from some bullshit aggro or zoo board by turn four.

Dahbomb

Man game is now so unfun to play. Tempo is so hardcore now if you don't get the perfect answer right out of the gate it snowballs so hard and so fast you pretty much just lose. I can't believe I miss the days where a turn 4 yeti is seen as a powerful play. Now you are likely half dead from some bullshit aggro or zoo board by turn four.
I am pretty sure if you try to play Yeti in Constructed these days people will hover over the card to see if it has any text, laugh at it and continue to go face.

Basically the game has gotten too punishing if your best play on turn 2 is hero power.

Can people take their top tier constructed decks out of my rank 20 and back to where they belong? This is becoming unplayable, I just want to do my quests...

Also Tomb Spider > Tomb Spider > Tomb Spider > Tomb Spider happened to me.

gutshot

Can people take their top tier constructed decks out of my rank 20 and back to where they belong? This is becoming unplayable, I just want to do my quests...

Golden portrait farmers are the worst. They are just trying to get easy and quick wins to get to 500 ranked wins. If you can make it past rank 20/19, it gets better.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Casual uses MMR so if you have bad cards it's a better match-up.

Once you start to do well at the game and have a large collection, then casual is pretty much always matching you with legend or nigh-legend players.

That said, this has the adverse effect of forcing great players into the lower ends of ranked if all they do is their dailies, since playing Secret Paladin at Rank 20 is way easier than going into casual for them.

I am pretty sure if you try to play Yeti in Constructed these days people will hover over the card to see if it has any text, laugh at it and continue to go face.

Basically the game has gotten too punishing if your best play on turn 2 is hero power.

If you don't get to play minions on curve you basically are screwed. At most you can hope for is a board clear to come ASAP to hopefully catch up. And even then with all the sticky minions around you probably didn't clear their board fully, meanwhile they get to play more stuff and you are already way down on HP from not having adequate answer earlier.

Playing control feels so damn bad now. Even with a renolock deck I am constantly at the mercy of drawing the perfect answer. I lose to even face hunters because I could easily not draw into my heals/taunts which gets bypassed easily and die by turn 5.

I thought reno helped the meta to shift away from aggro/face but it really doesn't feel that way.

Moonlight

Banned
If you don't get to play minions on curve you basically are screwed. At most you can hope for is a board clear to come ASAP to hopefully catch up. And even then with all the sticky minions around you probably didn't clear their board fully, meanwhile they get to play more stuff and you are already way down on HP from not having adequate answer earlier.

Playing control feels so damn bad now. Even with a renolock deck I am constantly at the mercy of drawing the perfect answer. I lose to even face hunters because I could easily not draw into my heals/taunts which gets bypassed easily and die by turn 5.

I thought reno helped the meta to shift away from aggro/face but it really doesn't feel that way.
There was an impact when Reno dropped, but that was just flavour of the week effect. Reno's high impact, but he's not consistent enough to represent an actual shift in the meta.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Speaking of Divine Favor, I have no idea how that one made it out of beta. Cards like it like Greater Heal and Mental Collapse were so obviously broken.

It's worth considering that originally Paladin was the worst class in the game for a long time.

Divine Favor was essentially letting a class that was heavily stacked toward control try to play a more aggressive game.

It didn't become a problem until they gave Paladin 5000 amazing cards.

gutshot

Got the last murloc I needed in the Classic set from my Brawl pack and then was awarded with no less than FOUR Old Murk-Eyes.

FSdJeqHl.png

I'm sure it's just a bug. Was kinda funny though.

There was an impact when Reno dropped, but that was just flavour of the week effect. Reno's high impact, but he's not consistent enough to represent an actual shift in the meta.

I think that's my biggest problem with the aggro shit going on now vs the slower decks. Doesn't matter how many heal/taunt I put in my deck if I don't draw it in time I am still dead to mindless face decks. That one brawl where you get the perfect curve was one of my favorite brawls ever because I am guaranteed an answer, and face decks can't just easily rush you down without you being able to answer their aggro.

This brawl is so cool. I really like to do the PvE stuff once in a while and I wasn't actively playing during the last Mechazod brawl. I was Medivh though, and I don't own Medivh. Is that just something everyone is getting?

Edit: And I already had two of everything that I got in my brawl pack. I guess 135 dust is nice, but it sure would've been awesome if I managed to get not another shield slam.

Zoggy

hey druids in this brawl, wait for the lorewalker cho+ millhouse combo (and if its turn 8, play jungle moonkin)

don't coin out millhouse or cho turn one

edit: last guy coined out millhouse, i sighed and sent my pyroblast+fireball.

he then play cho next turn

Phreaker

Got the last murloc I needed in the Classic set from my Brawl pack and then was awarded with no less than FOUR Old Murk-Eyes.

FSdJeqHl.png

I'm sure it's just a bug. Was kinda funny though.

Whoa, so you got a bunch of free dust? I got this guy long ago and didn't get 4.

Brawl Pack after winning:

VL79ave.jpg

Can safely say I didn't have an Illidan before, and I wouldn't ever craft him. Not worth dusting though. Shame it wasn't one of the few classic legendaries I'm missing that are actually usable - Velen, Al'Akir, Malygos. I actually used to have Al'Akir, he was my first legendary, but Shaman was poop at the time so I dusted him to make other stuff early on in those beta days.

Top Bottom