• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

gutshot

I brought this up a couple weeks back, it's still the same content and the same Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler of Brian Kibler Gaming we know and love but the Youtuber reaction style thumbnails have been turning me off as well.

Eh, they're just thumbnails. I don't mind it. Ever since he started doing that, his views have gone way up. I can't begrudge the guy for trying to grow his viewer base.

Dre

AFAIK he doesn't even run his own Youtube channel, his wife is taking care of it, so there is a chance it wasn't even his idea to use those new thumbnails.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Keeper of Uldaman is a better version of a neutral legendary card that was nerfed (Overspark) but now its a class card and a common

Makes sense to me!!1!!1

Not sure if it's better, because Nat Pagle could also work as a silence and it was 1 mana less.

More consistent, maybe.

Jrmint

I think he has a point. Tinkmaster was a gamble every time you used it. You hoped it would either buff your guy or debuff their's.

Uldaman is a guarantee and a lot of times is a 3/4 with a 2/2 charge for 4 mana. It's insane. The only downside is no silence.

I think he has a point. Tinkmaster was a gamble every time you used it. You hoped it would either buff your guy or debuff their's.

Uldaman is a guarantee and a lot of times is a 3/4 with a 2/2 charge for 4 mana. It's insane. The only downside is no silence.

Tinkmaster was mainly used to silence the opposing player's minion. Even if it resulted in that minion being a 5/5, in most cases, that was still better than whatever you were silencing (Sylvanas, Ysera, etc). I'd much rather have old Tinkmaster over Uldaman, but they do different things and aren't really fairly comparable IMO.

Dragner

Still better stats and not variable outcome not justify being ok only for not having silence when we are talking about a frikin legendary vs a Common!!!!!

Ridli

Had the start of a really interesting arena run, lost game three vs a shaman in a really close game, barely lost to a bloodlust topdeck, but was feeling nice to have a close game. Then ran into two Paladins back to back that never even had to work. 4 keepers in 2 games. Feelsbadman

Still better stats and not variable outcome not justify being ok only for not having silence when we are talking about a frikin legendary vs a Common!!!!!
I think it's ZealousD who said this, but allegedly card rarity is actually about difficulty and complexity of use, not exactly power. Keeper is also one Mana more too, which grants some extra stats too of course.

CoolOff

I think I had more fun playing against 50% Face Hunter than I do 50% Secret Pally. I definitely had more fun facing Patron Warrior.

It's amazing that they've facilitated a deck as brain-dead as this.

ZealousD

So "Hearthstone Science" is going HAM on everybody that says battlecries resolve before the minion enters play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln0BisR_SfY

He basically explains that the source of confusion is that effects like secrets occur in an After Play phase that occurs after the death processing of the Battlecry phase. He's probably right about this, especially once you consider the Leeroy + Knife Juggler interaction. But one of my problems with the video is that he mentions Sword of Justice as occurring in the after play phase, but he doesn't explain why it buffs the battlecry-summoned minions first over the main body. That still doesn't seem to line up.

So I just had a conversation with this guy in the comments of his video. Battlecry-summoned minions get buffed first by Sword of Justice because there is a nested "After Summon" phase that occurs within the Battlecry Phase.

The advanced rulebook can get really confusing sometimes.

Dragner

I think it's ZealousD who said this, but allegedly card rarity is actually about difficulty and complexity of use, not exactly power. Keeper is also one Mana more too, which grants some extra stats too of course.

I can understand that, but theres also the fact that Tinkmaster is a 1 off and even is true the complegity thing powerlevel going up with rarity is also normal.

ZealousD

That's true for epics, I think. A lot of epics are situational or fringe.

Only commons can be vanilla (no text). There's also very few rares that just have a single keyword for their mechanic (only Soot Spewer, Target Dummy, and Ravenholdt Assassin).

So it's not a perfect indicator, but generally you do find that cards increase in complexity, not power, the rarer they are. Plus rarity is basically irrelevant in constructed when you're talking about cards in adventures. Rarity in adventures is more about arena balance.

Legendaries are defined more by their flavor and lore and by the fact that you can only have 1 of each in your deck rather than their power. There are some truly terrible legendaries out there.

We should also consider the fact that one card is a Classic card and the other is one fresh off the press. There's no denying that card power and effects have gone up as more cards are released(Outside of a few which will always be great).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Keeper is a billion times more appealing than old Tinkmaster to me, in terms of power. It's not even close. Consistency is king. Being able to run 2x Keepers vs. 1x Tinkmaster alone is huge, and opens up more opportunities to boost lowly statted allied minions. Tinkmaster was definitely a kneejerk nerf. Honestly I would be surprised if the unnerfed version would even be run in modern Hearthstone. It would be a pretty meaningless form of removal against the power cards you see in the meta now.

ZealousD

Keeper is a billion times more appealing than old Tinkmaster to me, in terms of power. It's not even close. Consistency is king. Being able to run 2x Keepers vs. 1x Tinkmaster alone is huge, and opens up more opportunities to boost lowly statted allied minions. Tinkmaster was definitely a kneejerk nerf. Honestly I would be surprised if the unnerfed version would even be run in modern Hearthstone. It would be a pretty meaningless form of removal against the power cards you see in the meta now.

Pre-nerf Tink would absolutely still be run in current Hearthstone. It also effectively works as a silence so it could handle Sylvanas, Tirion, and Highmanes in ways that Keeper can't. Plus keep in mind that we also have more token generating cards these days like Muster, Implosion, and Haunted Creeper that open up the potential offensive capabilities of the card.

I'm not 100% on this but I think there were two main reasons people used Tinkmaster over Ironbeak Owl. The body is bigger and at worst a 5/5 isn't that bad. With cards like Tirion, Chromaggus, and so on, a 5/5 is an improvement for you.

Now people just use Owl because it's the cheapest Silence. Allows set up for combos or spells. However, I would bet that more control based decks would drop the Owl for Overspark though if it was reverted.

Tomcat

What are your opinions on the murloc paladin deck? It seems like hit or miss. Not better than the other paladin decks but fun though.

ZealousD

What are your opinions on the murloc paladin deck? It seems like hit or miss. Not better than the other paladin decks but fun though.

General consensus seems to be that it's strong against aggro or control but terrible against midrange.

Jrmint

Pretty much what you said.

I enjoy playing Midrange and Secret more. I also really don't like One-Turn-Kill decks.

cHinzo

I would say Midrange Paladin is the most fun one to play of all the Paladin decks. Control isn't that great even though Paladin got tons of heal to stall to late, just not enough big threats. Wish Dragon Paladin was a thing.

Face Warrior has proven to be a nice change of pace on my free account. Nothing like giving a Face Hunter a panic attack and forcing him to trade, lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pre-nerf Tink would absolutely still be run in current Hearthstone. It also effectively works as a silence so it could handle Sylvanas, Tirion, and Highmanes in ways that Keeper can't. Plus keep in mind that we also have more token generating cards these days like Muster, Implosion, and Haunted Creeper that open up the potential offensive capabilities of the card.
I feel like it's just such a different world with the threats you deal with. Tink is great when your enemy is dropping Rag, Ysera, Ironbark Protector/Ancient of Lore, Savannah, Sylvanas, etc. But what value does Tink have against Secret Paladin, or Reno or Maly Lock, or the current iterations of Druid/Mage? I just don't see it.

ZealousD

I feel like it's just such a different world with the threats you deal with. Tink is great when your enemy is dropping Rag, Ysera, Ironbark Protector/Ancient of Lore, Savannah, Sylvanas, etc. But what value does Tink have against Secret Paladin, or Reno or Maly Lock, or the current iterations of Druid/Mage? I just don't see it.

I mean as long as your opponent plays a 5/5 or higher it's not like you could lose by playing him. Hell you could even play it against a Loatheb and you've got a 50/50 shot to turn it into a squirrel. In which case either you had a huge ass swing or just had a slightly weaker than normal turn.

Here's an idea. You are playing AS Druid. You go Turn 2 Darnassas Aspirant and next turn you can play Tinkmaster to effectively silence it, keeping the extra crystal either way and even having a 50/50 shot for a Devilsaur. Not to mention that as a midrange Druid you might just keep a pref-nerf tinker just as a removal option since you're so weak with that kind of thing anyway.

Zoggy

i said screw it and pushed the nuke button boys. i disenchanted most if not all my golden cards.

all of them were cards i never used and i already had doubles of their regs. got about 4k dust.

i can now make some doomhammers, and other cards i needed to try out this aggro shaman deck everyone is talking about.

maybe craft a gimmick legendary like blingtron or something.

i still kept a couple because they look so damn nice. god this game makes me everything i hate. i never gave a shit about cosmetics in games before but for some reason that golden jungle panther is so cool.

The amount of times that I've gotten Novice Engineer or Jeweled Scarab from my Piloted Shredder blows my fucking mind. And then my opponent gets Milhouse Manastorm of course. Holy shit.

Maybe the game is just taxing me for the ridiculous amount of legendaries that I pull from Unstable Portal. I guess I can't have too much luck.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
CY6uBxQWwAAsqlJ.jpg

Kornflayx

I want an in-game chat system. It's just not satisfying to say "Thanks" when you want to say "fuck you". There would be a lot less destroyed furniture in Yoshi's room too.

And before you say "But think about the kids", they're the worse than the adults in this game. They can handle this.

CoolOff

Yeah, okay, there's no reason to play anything but Secret Paladin until they nerf it. I'll just work on getting golden Paladin until then. I played Deathrattle Hunter when everyone was playing Face, I played Dragon Control when everyone was playing Patron, but this time I'll give in and just be as cancerous.

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Pooya

What is this, summoning stone mage with DOUBLE pyroblast. why you bring this garbage to top of ladder? How I am supposed to know what the hell is this random deck? Half of my time is spent thinking like, looks like freeze mage then nope looks like echo mage then THAT? Now your sucky deck won against me, whatever, it's going to lose every other match. People can be so inconsiderate, is netdecking that hard? You play summoning stone, it's ok. but with pyroblast??? that's AMBITIOUS.

ZealousD

I was playing against this warrior last night around ranks 10-11. I know it's not top of the ladder but you can't be a total scrub at this level. I'm playing as aggro shaman myself.

Now, my opponent should know that I'm playing aggro shaman, because my first play is Sir Finley into Hunter Hero power. His responds with Fiery War Axe.... to the face.

Okay, so I'm up against some kind of aggro warrior? But then he starts playing less aggressively than I would normally imagine... and finally by Turn 5 he plays.... healbot?

He caps off his total loss by going face with an arcanite reaper.

huh.gif

bjaelke

What is this, summoning stone mage with DOUBLE pyroblast. why you bring this garbage to top of ladder? How I am supposed to know what the hell is this random deck? Half of my time is spent thinking like, looks like freeze mage then nope looks like echo mage then THAT? Now your sucky deck won against me, whatever, it's going to lose every other match. People can be so inconsiderate, is netdecking that hard? You play summoning stone, it's ok. but with pyroblast??? that's AMBITIOUS.

Plenty of people play weird decks after securing their season goal (legend, rank 5 etc.). I've been having a lot of fun with a Druid inspire deck in the last couple of days. Also dropped 3 ranks in the process..

Zoggy

that deck seems creative.

why would you want more netdecking on the ladder? its makes it all boring as hell and basically a game of rock paper scissors.

oh this netdeck is a bad matchup for my netdeck or vice-versa. you'll already know who's gonna win 80% of the time.

you seem a little upset you lost to a deck someone made up themselves while all you can do is copy paste from the internet.

CivRab

Finally got my Tempo Mage in order, managed to grind out Dr Boom and Archmage. Not sure about keeping the polymorph boar, adds a lot of removal when combo'd with an Arcane Blast or can turn a low mob into 4 damage before it dies.
image.png

Was thinking maybe a counjourer, pyroblast or another secret?

Pooya

that deck seems creative.

why would you want more netdecking on the ladder? its makes it all boring as hell and basically a game of rock paper scissors.

oh this netdeck is a bad matchup for my netdeck or vice-versa. you'll already know who's gonna win 80% of the time.

you seem a little upset you lost to a deck someone made up themselves while all you can do is copy paste from the internet.

pfff creative? the deck was just random and awful. All he got me over was the element of surprise. It's like changing your decks in between matches in a tournament to create unfair advantage!

It's like all these warlocks playing a lot of different random decks these days and you have to play the guessing game for like 3-4 turns to what you're actually up against. Some of these reno decks curve so well too. oh looks like kinda zoo or malylock, nope it's reno!!!

excuse me for playing rogue, everyone knows every single card in my deck all the time it's not my fault... /salt

Calion

pfff creative? the deck was just random and awful. All he got me over was the element of surprise. It's like changing your decks in between matches in a tournament to create unfair advantage!

It's like all these warlocks playing a lot of different random decks these days and you have to play the guessing game for like 3-4 turns to what you're actually up against. Some of these reno decks curve so well too. oh looks like kinda zoo or malylock, nope it's reno!!!

excuse me for playing rogue, everyone knows every single card in my deck all the time it's not my fault... /salt

This fucking community man.

Sande

I always call my friend out on complaining about people who don't play the exact same OP netdecked bullshit. I guess the sheer amount of salt just shuts down all ability to reason sometimes.

Pooya

Whenever you hit that play button on ranked and it's like a single digit rank you have to comply with rules of sportsmanship in hearthstone, it's your only responsibility. That you pick a deck from tier 1 or preferably tier 2 on the latest ranking on tempostorm.com(c). During mulligan phase you have to mulligan optimally and correctly so that your opponents can tell which of the two possible decks for that class you're playing immediately. So if you're a handlock kind of deck, you throw every or almost every card. You don't keep slow unplayable cards to bluff! seriously it's bad stahp. This guy kept Dr. Boom in his hand, reaaaally? People on there are trying to rank up, no one has time for these silly 'fun' decks. Casual mode is over there. In truth, you're not trying some fun decks, you're just trying to troll hard working ladder players and that's just rude not creative.

Top Bottom