• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

jblank83

I hate this brawl. People are so bad at it.

- There's no point in trading in a 1/1 minion. Use it as a dmg sponge or savage roar target, unless it's lethal
- Low dmg minions in general are better as sponges for Mechazods random dmg than as miniscule DPS
- Think hard about trading in super useful minions (Troggzor, moonkins)
- Don't fill your board with 7 minions; Mechazod will destroy all of your minions when he swaps to your side of the board
- Wait til your buddy has a packed hand before you use a Milhouse Manastorm

CoolOff

5 minions on board + my face. 6 targets for his Boom-Bot

I need it to not hit my full HP Harrison, so that I can kill his Boom with it. 4 outcomes if it does hit it.

Guess what happened?

CoolOff

Screw the salt.

ywRfelE.png

4 down, 5 to go.

EmiPrime

- There's no point in trading in a 1/1 minion. Use it as a dmg sponge or savage roar target, unless it's lethal
- Low dmg minions in general are better as sponges for Mechazods random dmg than as miniscule DPS
- Don't fill your board with 7 minions; Mechazod will destroy all of your minions when he swaps to your side of the board

I just had someone play Milhouse on turn 2. I conceded there and then.

And another one. Christ.

I'd add, try to play Lorewalker Cho into Mirror Entity then spam all your spells (but not to the point you make your opponent mill a card).

You guys are right about Fel Reaver turning people stupid. Wow. Played it against a Priest knowing I had lethal in hand if he left it on the board. He proceeded to play all kinds of junk (Swamp Ooze, two Northshires, Power Word Shield) to burn up my cards. Easy lethal next turn. *Thank You, Well Played*

I'd like to imagine he had a Shadow Word Death in hand. ;)

Scratch

You guys are right about Fel Reaver turning people stupid. Wow. Played it against a Priest knowing I had lethal in hand if he left it on the board. He proceeded to play all kinds of junk (Swamp Ooze, two Northshires, Power Word Shield) to burn up my cards. Easy lethal next turn. *Thank You, Well Played*

I'd like to imagine he had a Shadow Word Death in hand. ;)

I don't think that's a "stupid" play. If I don't have an answer to your fel reaver, the next best play is to dig for removal and drop minions in the hopes that I can kill it next turn.

I don't think that's a "stupid" play. If I don't have an answer to your fel reaver, the next best play is to dig for removal and drop minions in the hopes that I can kill it next turn.

Good point. I just like to pretend it was stupid, I guess. Makes me feel better after having a lot of terrible games this weekend. I hardly ever play Fel Reaver, I just happened to pull it from a Raven Idol and went with it.

It really just depends. If you can keep the Fel Reaver at bay and keep burning your opponent's cards, playing more is a good plan. Getting a Peacekeeper on a Fel Reaver is pretty much game over for that player.

However, mindlessly playing cards just cuz is a bad idea because you're wasting resources. Usually decks that run Fel Reaver have other threats as well, so just throwing cards away is a problem.

I always forget, do minions with special effects on their attacks(freeze and lethality) proc with Betrayal? I thought it was yes but I don't remember for sure.

Hycran

Banned
One day, Thrall....one day.

I'm surprised anyone could ever vote for Paladin or Druid. Those are two classes that are in their prime right now. Maybe salty people? Who knows.

Also, there is a big difference between constructed and arena badness. Shaman is probably still worst in both, but Rogue would obviously be either the best or second best class in Arena.

jblank83

It really just depends. If you can keep the Fel Reaver at bay and keep burning your opponent's cards, playing more is a good plan. Getting a Peacekeeper on a Fel Reaver is pretty much game over for that player.

Yah. I think I've won about as many games as I've lost to Fel Reaver by burning out the other player. Freeze/Peacekeeper/Etc can utterly ruin the other player. I've burnt up 16 cards in a single turn.

Fel Reaver can be powerful and it can be a boat anchor.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yah. I think I've won about as many games as I've lost to Fel Reaver by burning out the other player. Freeze/Peacekeeper/Etc can utterly ruin the other player. I've burnt up 16 cards in a single turn.

Fel Reaver can be powerful and it can be a boat anchor.

It's only a boat anchor against taunt decks or freeze mage. As long as you can hit face with it, it is doing its job.

I'm surprised anyone could ever vote for Paladin or Druid. Those are two classes that are in their prime right now. Maybe salty people? Who knows.

Also, there is a big difference between constructed and arena badness. Shaman is probably still worst in both, but Rogue would obviously be either the best or second best class in Arena.

How Paladin and Druid ended up with any votes is beyond me, unless this is supposed to be a total history thing and which class has been bad for the longest time. Even Shaman is better now.

In fairness for Druid, I think it's among the worst designed classes in Hearthstone. Like, I can't imagine where Druid would be right now without combo, probably even below Shaman. Granted I don't think the class is the worst but Blizzard definitely needs to improve things for Druid, at least in terms of giving them other archetypes to play that aren't centered around bullshit combos or just hitting face.

If I was going to rank all the classes for constructed I'd probably say;

9. Shaman
8. Hunter
7. Rogue
6. Warrior
5. Priest
4. Druid
3. Mage
2. Warlock
1. Paladin

Maybe flip flop Rogue and Hunter, I'm not sure. Hunter has been stagnant for so long at this point but Rogue does still only have one reliable archetype despite getting some solid cards recently.

Zoggy

How Paladin and Druid ended up with any votes is beyond me, unless this is supposed to be a total history thing and which class has been bad for the longest time. Even Shaman is better now.

in the reddit thread there were just a bunch of people who took the question "which is the worst class?" as "which class do you hate?"

FeD.nL

In fairness for Druid, I think it's among the worst designed classes in Hearthstone. Like, I can't imagine where Druid would be right now without combo, probably even below Shaman. Granted I don't think the class is the worst but Blizzard definitely needs to improve things for Druid, at least in terms of giving them other archetypes to play that aren't centered around bullshit combos or just hitting face.

If I was going to rank all the classes for constructed I'd probably say;

9. Shaman
8. Hunter
7. Rogue
6. Warrior
5. Priest
4. Druid
3. Mage
2. Warlock
1. Paladin

Maybe flip flop Rogue and Hunter, I'm not sure. Hunter has been stagnant for so long at this point but Rogue does still only have one reliable archetype despite getting some solid cards recently.

I don't really think Druid would be anywhere near the bottom of the list if they took away combo. It is sad though that those 2 cards are so powerful any other archetype that doesn't use those cards is just a waste. I mean the class has some pretty damn good early game cards, can still cheat out (some insane) big minions etc. It's just FoN/SR that ruins it for me.

Like Hunter and Shaman are just stupid design.

Pooya

f rogue, secret paladin it is rank 1 get fast. almost there. DansGame.

Murloc knight in secret paly is pretty good, specially if you have redemption up, it eats a removal and comes back too lol.

I saw secret paladin today that ran Leeroy! I guess why not, you're almost like a rush deck. Paladin lacks that a little bit of reach too.

Zoggy

you know people always cry about hemet being such a useless legendary.

they really should have switched the battlecries for hemet and bgh.

i know this idea is probably not original but w/e.

bgh is OP.

i just lost a game because of BGH and i am butthurt

Pooya

Rogue is probably up there because most people can't play oil rogue and it's understandable.

It's hard. It relies almost entirely on classic set cards still. Azure Drake into backstab was pretty amazing, it's still strong but the power level of cards others play is on another level now. ERF for heal really isn't going to do anything, might as well play BGH these days, if you need heal you're dead anyway. Basically if you can't establish board by teacher in the opening you're probably going to lose.

The deck is just really unforgiving, if your draws don't line up decently, you're going to instantly lose. Rogue needs some kind of health recovery that isn't ancient like ERF or anti tempo like Healbot, then they need some actually strong minions. Tomb Pillager is just ok. Raptor didn't work out, the card is good but for a non combo deck like that you need some new cards. Maybe new ways to draw cards too. They're totally afraid to print new spells for rogue though, it's really obvious.

The class is not healthy, the class minions are too weak unlike others. Just look at any oil list. Only Edwin and SI7 are class cards, everything is neutral and almost all of them are from launch set. yeaaah.

It's amazing that they barely even print cards with 'combo' effect anymore, last one was that 3/7 one from TGT which is just a big body, it doesn't do anything.

look at paladin, druid, warrior, mage etc. class minions take a good portion of the decks.

Rogue is probably up there because most people can't play oil rogue and it's understandable.

It's hard. It relies almost entirely on classic set cards still. Azure Drake into backstab was pretty amazing, it's still strong but the power level of cards others play is on another level now. ERF for heal really isn't going to do anything, might as well play BGH these days, if you need heal you're dead anyway. Basically if you can't establish board by teacher in the opening you're probably going to lose.

The deck is just really unforgiving, if your draws don't line up decently, you're going to instantly lose. Rogue needs some kind of health recovery that isn't ancient like ERF or anti tempo like Healbot, then they need some actually strong minions. Tomb Pillager is just ok. Raptor didn't work out, the card is good but for a non combo deck like that you need some new cards. Maybe new ways to draw cards too. They're totally afraid to print new spells for rogue though, it's really obvious.

The class is not healthy, the class minions are too weak unlike others. Just look at any oil list. Only Edwin and SI7 are class cards, everything is neutral and almost all of them are from launch set. yeaaah.

It's amazing that they barely even print cards with 'combo' effect anymore, last one was that 3/7 one from TGT which is just a big body, it doesn't do anything.

I really wish there was a card draw minion for rogue. I've been trying maly rogue but man when you just get those all spell hands shit can get rough

Mulgrok

It has gone to the point where I am mulligan for repentance to play on turn 1-2, because I am seeing deathlords every game. 3 priests in a row had double deathlord on turns 2-4.

tylerf

To me it seems like LoE didn't shake things up as much as people thought originally. There might be a lot of viable decks but the sheer number of people playing secret paladin at all ranks is ridiculous.

CY9xTW0UEAAk6Cv.png

CY9xTL6U0AEGiSf.png

2 and 0 so far with this deck, seems pretty balanced

To me it seems like LoE didn't shake things up as much as people thought originally. There might be a lot of viable decks but the sheer number of people playing secret paladin at all ranks is ridiculous.

Broken deck is still broken. Tons of LoE cards are being run, probably the highest amount of cards being run/cards released since Naxx.

I'm running into a ton of actual decks with actual good cards, which is a bit disheartening when you're new like me and just don't have the cards to put up an actual fight. Very rarely I can actually win, and that's great, but more often than not I just lose by turn 4. Last game this guy plays his mech warper turn 2 and I already know I've lost the game.

I think I'm just gonna stick to arena as much as I can going forward, ranked is probably going to be a waste of time until I have much more cards to work with.

JesseZao

I'm running into a ton of actual decks with actual good cards, which is a bit disheartening when you're new like me and just don't have the cards to put up an actual fight. Very rarely I can actually win, and that's great, but more often than not I just lose by turn 4. Last game this guy plays his mech warper turn 2 and I already know I've lost the game.

I think I'm just gonna stick to arena as much as I can going forward, ranked is probably going to be a waste of time until I have much more cards to work with.

I have been playing for years now and that's how I rolled at first as well. If you find arena enjoyable, I would definitely do that.

So, I taught all my roommates how to play Hearthstone about a year ago. Or a year and a half, maybe. It was a pretty good experience for all of us. At about that time, I started actually hitting Legend and have consistently been there each month since then, so I can say I got my fill of the game. Almost have a gold collection from playing Arena and spending more on the game than I probably should.

But lately, one of my roommates has just sapped my enjoyment of the game by CONSTANTLY raging as he plays. We got him to Legend last season, and now he is better than every player. Every time he loses is due to the other guy drawing better than him. It was kind of funny, but then he started yelling and being pretty obnoxious. No clue how to approach that other than to ask him to quiet down. Any advice? xD

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So, I taught all my roommates how to play Hearthstone about a year ago. Or a year and a half, maybe. It was a pretty good experience for all of us. At about that time, I started actually hitting Legend and have consistently been there each month since then, so I can say I got my fill of the game. Almost have a gold collection from playing Arena and spending more on the game than I probably should.

But lately, one of my roommates has just sapped my enjoyment of the game by CONSTANTLY raging as he plays. We got him to Legend last season, and now he is better than every player. Every time he loses is due to the other guy drawing better than him. It was kind of funny, but then he started yelling and being pretty obnoxious. No clue how to approach that other than to ask him to quiet down. Any advice? xD

Does he happen to play Paladin?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neviilz' Murloc Paladin. xD

In that case I would just keep quoting minion attack phrases to him until he snaps.

But really, sounds like he just needs a break. I'd try to recommend he just plays every few days for the quests for a month or so to cool off and try to ladder up refreshed afterwards. I've definitely been like that where nearly ever game starts to put you on tilt, lol.

Mulgrok

well, I think playing arena during prime time is a bad idea. It is full of people who saved great drafts for stream sniping.

It seems arena players are much better recently. (or card quality has gone up) The first three games in an arena run used to be easy but the last three arena runs I've done after explorers usually ends in both players top decking. Doesn't help most of my drafts have been on the bad side with maybe 2 or 3 "amazing" cards.

Mulgrok

It seems arena players are much better recently. (or card quality has gone up) The first three games in an arena run used to be easy but the last three arena runs I've done after explorers usually ends in both players top decking. Doesn't help most of my drafts have been on the bad side with maybe 2 or 3 "amazing" cards.

During off hours I average 7 wins, but the last few days during prime time I am lucky to get 5.

accel

FWIW, I am pretty new as well, decided to do mostly arenas, and I think that was absolutely the right decision.

Forgive the dumb question but what are considered off hours for arena?

Morning / middle of the working day in whatever region you are playing.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I need to win 5 games as a rogue or a warrior ._.

Any fun decks? I have Cleef and Grom but I don't have Alex.

There is a face/charge warrior deck out there that I have seen a few times on ladder. It is about 50/50 vs my Golden Monkey control priest so take that as you feel.

For Rogue I have been running a more minion oriented Raptor deck that has a few more minions than the normal combo decks. It works OK at best. Still plays a lot like Oil, and definitely isn't interesting. I pretty much always mulligan quests for Rogues or Warriors.

Top Bottom