• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
It would be a lot of work and Blizzard doesn't seem to be too fond of work.

I've never worked anywhere where people work as hard as we do, and I used to work in television.

Your words have an impact, you know. You're shitting on real people when you say things like this.

It's not only you, 2 other people in my friend's list have got golden legendaries in the past couple of days. Raxus was one of them I think.

I've been playing since beta and still no golden for me that's why ;_;

I got a golden Fjola the other day, so one was probably me. ^_^

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've never worked anywhere where people work as hard as we do, and I used to work in television.

Your words have an impact, you know. You're shitting on real people when you say things like this.
Fair enough, my apologies to you and your team.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I played for a year without seeing gold legendaries but got super lucky this year. Golden millhouse and malygos in the same pack, and since TGT I've pulled golden paletress and golden eadric.

I will probably never open one again.

Cipherr

Sucks that the coop brawl isnt one where you can build your own deck. And the mob spamming assassinates is freaking dumb as hell. But its satisfying to win with a random person
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Even though I already had the pack from losing beforehand I still fist pumped when we won lol

Dahbomb

Yeah the boss should've been a hero and you should be allowed to make your own deck.

Now that would've been godlike .

They could've made it really hard so that it only could've been beaten with proper coordination and optimized decks by both players. It could've been Hearthstone's own version of a mini-raid.

Papercuts

Build your own deck would need banned cards or else it would be trivialized by stuff like confuse, equality, or black knight.

Having a premade deck of each class would be really neat though.

Levi

Banned
15 brawls, 13 times playing as priest. 15 losses. So fucking salty right now. Was one turn form winning one of the games I was Paladin because I didn't waste my fucking buffs like every one of my goddamn partners.

Dahbomb

Build your own deck would need banned cards or else it would be trivialized by stuff like confuse, equality, or black knight.

Having a premade deck of each class would be really neat though.
Why? It's not like those cards would affect the enemy hero.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Doing Co-Op with the enemy as a hero is waaaaaaay more work than what Blizzard did. You're talking about completely rewriting how Hearthstone is setup.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If this is going to be a dedicated mode I think it demands that level of attention.

As it is the current brawl is more like a mod hacking co-op into Hearthstone's engine than a dedicated co-op mode. For a brawl, that's fine and dandy.

But I think it'll put a severe limit on what they can do if this is the extent of their vision for Hearthstone co-op.

The Adder

Banned
Ladies and Gentlemen, join me for a grand experiment.

So, as I may or may not have made clear back when I used to post in the Hearthstone topics, not a big fan of Hunter. Basically, its main play style isn't any fun to me.

But today I've decided to have a bit of fun.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Mk I Stifle Hunter:

Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2011-04-15%2019.30.16_zpstvl6400v.png

Now, I know what you're thinking "that deck looks awful!" And you're not wrong. This is the first draft of an idea I want to test and refine.

That idea is a Hunter built to take board control not by keeping their side of the board well-stocked, but by not allowing the opponent to do anything. The most important objective of this deck is rendering the opponent's previous turn meaningless while not over-investing in the board yourself (meaning cards like Hellfire, Consecration, and Flamestrike are render cost ineffective).

I'm not sure it's possible to make a good Hunter deck like this, but I would like your help refining this down to The Best version of this deck possible. If you get the chance, have some free time and want to try something a bit different, plug in the deck, play a few games, and report back to the topic. Together we'll model new versions of the deck and experiment more. See how far we can take this idea before it starts butting too hard up against more traditional Mid-Range or Control hunter decks

So if anyone's interested, I'd love to get your input on this project.

Stifle Hunter Progress

Played my first ladder game of the season, so it's not very meaningful, given how low my current rank is, but I won and my opponent started his turn with anything on his side of the board once.

The opponent was a hunter.

It's playing, so far, a bit like slow-face hunter in that the Steamwheedle Sniper always went face, but the few other minions I played all acted more as removal than minions. Used both of the Kill Commands for removal instead of face damage as well. Whittle him down 2-4 damage per turn at a time. Snipe was extremely useful. Was pretty damn fun.

Refinements: None yet. The match never got to a point where I could see a glaring weakness. I'm expecting card draw may be a problem eventually.

johnsmith

remember me
Needs win conditions. Add Alexstraza, Ysera, and Boom. Maybe that worm that does 1 damage too since there's so many 1/1s around right now. And Highmanes.

ZealousD

Your hunter deck looks like it has a bunch of weak removal with absolutely zero finishers.

You're going to get absolutely STUFFED by any deck with remotely any healing or armor gain since your only threat is your hero power and the aggro decks will eventually run you over because you have very little tools to go 2-for-1 against their own cards.

Control hunter decks exist if you really want to try them, but honestly if you don't like the style of being aggressive you don't really have much business playing hunter.

Haha pulled a Tinkmaster from my brawl pack. Looks like a lot of people drew legendaries as well. Wonder if they upped the drop rate for this one.

The Adder

Banned
Needs win conditions. Add Alexstraza, Ysera, and Boom. Maybe that worm that does 1 damage too since there's so many 1/1s around right now. And Highmanes.

Boom and Highmanes are out. They're too ubiquitous for my personal tastes. Like I said, this isn't about being good, it's about being good at what it does.

Did add a Frost Giant, because the Hero Power gets used quite a bit. Alex is a good idea.

Your hunter deck looks like it has a bunch of weak removal with absolutely zero finishers.

You're going to get absolutely STUFFED by any deck with remotely any healing or armor gain since your only threat is your hero power and the aggro decks will eventually run you over because you have very little tools to go 2-for-1 against their own cards.

Control hunter decks exist if you really want to try them, but honestly if you don't like the style of being aggressive you don't really have much business playing hunter.

I think you're missing the point here. I'm not trying to build a tier one deck. I'm just trying to do something a bit different and see how good it can be made ya know?

I did just lose to a Face Hunter one turn away from a kill. I'm now testing Illuminator in the deck, as she's cheaper than Healbot and can potentially provide as much/more healing if I can protect her. 4 more HP would have won me that game.

Ladies and Gentlemen, join me for a grand experiment.

So, as I may or may not have made clear back when I used to post in the Hearthstone topics, not a big fan of Hunter. Basically, its main play style isn't any fun to me.

But today I've decided to have a bit of fun.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Mk I Stifle Hunter:

Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2011-04-15%2019.30.16_zpstvl6400v.png

Now, I know what you're thinking "that deck looks awful!" And you're not wrong. This is the first draft of an idea I want to test and refine.

That idea is a Hunter built to take board control not by keeping their side of the board well-stocked, but by not allowing the opponent to do anything. The most important objective of this deck is rendering the opponent's previous turn meaningless while not over-investing in the board yourself (meaning cards like Hellfire, Consecration, and Flamestrike are render cost ineffective).

I'm not sure it's possible to make a good Hunter deck like this, but I would like your help refining this down to The Best version of this deck possible. If you get the chance, have some free time and want to try something a bit different, plug in the deck, play a few games, and report back to the topic. Together we'll model new versions of the deck and experiment more. See how far we can take this idea before it starts butting too hard up against more traditional Mid-Range or Control hunter decks

So if anyone's interested, I'd love to get your input on this project.

Stifle Hunter Progress

Played my first ladder game of the season, so it's not very meaningful, given how low my current rank is, but I won and my opponent started his turn with anything on his side of the board once.

The opponent was a hunter.

It's playing, so far, a bit like slow-face hunter in that the Steamwheedle Sniper always went face, but the few other minions I played all acted more as removal than minions. Used both of the Kill Commands for removal instead of face damage as well. Whittle him down 2-4 damage per turn at a time. Snipe was extremely useful. Was pretty damn fun.

Refinements: None yet. The match never got to a point where I could see a glaring weakness. I'm expecting card draw may be a problem eventually.

why so many traps and no mad scientists. gotta at least have some minions in there otherwise you're just gonna get rolled

Papercuts

Dog just broke the stream on his game. I'm crying.

Why? It's not like those cards would affect the enemy hero.

Oh, yeah if it was a hero it'd be fine, just meant making your deck in a format like this one wouldn't work.

Dahbomb

That just looks like Control Hunter with Lock n Load.

Here's a list I made.

*I greatly removed the number of secrets because most of the time they are going sit in your hand not be able to do anything. Snipe sucks in a game where people are running stuff like Minibots and Shredders. Bear Trap and Freezing Trap are good enough for a control/lock n load hunter. Also cut down on one Flare because you really need only one.

*I cut down the amount of spells because it was reaching ridiculous amounts, you had basically no minions. You don't need Kill Command for example because you don't even have a good amount of Beasts.

*Added 3 heals and 2 taunts. Because you aren't playing for tempo early on and rather playing for control, you need to get to the later stage to be able to combo Lock n Load to refresh your hand.

*Added Emperor Thaurissan because this game's late game win condition is through Lock n Load, with a huge discount you can make a wild play.

*Added Dr Balanced in it because Dr Balanced is balanced.

*Added Acolyte in there because it has some synergy with the deck. You kinda needed some regular draw in there and you might be able to get a couple off of it. Probably not necessary.

*Added Dreadscale because it allows you to control the early game and combo with stuff like Hunter's Mark.

*Added Gazrilla because it's like a win condition for the deck. You can Steamweedle your own Gazrilla. or Arcane Shot it or Quick Shot it or set up lethal with Dreadscale in advance.

You would maybe want Wild Pyromancers in there somewhere because it allows added synergy with the deck. It's another activator for Gazrilla. Maybe a Zombie Chow in there as well.

ZealousD

I think you're missing the point here. I'm not trying to build a tier one deck. I'm just trying to do something a bit different and see how good it can be made ya know?

I did just lose to a Face Hunter one turn away from a kill. I'm now testing Illuminator in the deck, as she's cheaper than Healbot and can potentially provide as much/more healing if I can protect her. 4 more HP would have won me that game.

The concern here is that the thing you want it to do, it won't do very well. You're just going to constantly play from behind and you won't be able to turn the game around at the end because you don't have any threats. It's kind of like you're trying to invent some kind of "fatigue hunter" deck. But hunter doesn't really have the kind of tools to make that kind of thing very good at all.

Dahbomb

Illuminator not a bad option versus Refreshment Vendor. Though most of those Secrets aren't bound to stay active for a while.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Fair enough, my apologies to you and your team.

To be clear, I'm not on the Hearthstone team, I'm on a different one. Don't want to give the wrong impression. I just get tired of people calling Blizzard lazy. We're so not. : ) I also feel like this game helped me get my job, so it's very dear to me.

Thank you all for being fans.

Dahbomb

Kripp getting paired up with dummies and getting owned by the AI in the Brawl.

Last game ended up being epic though.

The thing about this brawl is that even when you're playing with bozo's you can still get easy wins. I played a golem on 3, and for 3 turns in a row the paladin buffed its attack, shielded it, the whole nine yards. The CPU had 6 chances to execute and it never did, so we won by turn 7. Other times you play with geniuses and get bad RNG and gg ez skins.

Cat Party

Got my first 12 win arena run! Lost the first match and then went 12-0. Final boss was a mage that didn't even get a single point of damage on me. I didn't even think the deck was that great, but it just curved out so well. Dalaran Aspirant was severely underrated by my opponents. It turned into a Malygos a few times.

Not pictured: Shredder, Fen Creeper, Grim Patron, Tiger, Blizzard, Flamestrike (x2), War Golem, and the MVP (a.k.a. North Sea Kraken).

Rewards were 600 gold and a pack. Felt like I was stuck on 10 wins for so long. Nice to finally break through.

The thing about this brawl is that even when you're playing with bozo's you can still get easy wins. I played a golem on 3, and for 3 turns in a row the paladin buffed its attack, shielded it, the whole nine yards. The CPU had 6 chances to execute and it never did, so we won by turn 7. Other times you play with geniuses and get bad RNG and gg ez skins.

Man i hate not being able to communicate lol. It such an easy brawl if you do. Paladin save all buffs for turn 9. Have priest play milhouse then paladin play icehowl +blessing might/kings, seal of champion into double blessed champion.

Only got that combo twice so far.

Dahbomb

Man i hate not being able to communicate lol. It such an easy brawl if you do. Paladin save all buffs for turn 9. Have priest play milhouse then paladin play icehowl +blessing might/kings, seal of champion into double blessed champion.

Only got that combo twice so far.
Many games end before getting to Ice howl anyway. You are always at the mercy of the RNG bot.

Many games end before getting to Ice howl anyway. You are always at the mercy of the RNG bot.

Well if the Preist knows what up they will just throw out double arcane golem so really Ice Howel on turn #7, and the Murloc that draw 2 cards. I mean it's basically draw your cards and one, two or three shot the fucker.

Haunted

I crafted a Malygos but didn't actually find a good deck idea to build around him yet.

I'm thinking Dragon Warlock with Maly as win condition.

squidyj

be judicious in your buffing, he likes killing the highest powered minion,

the greatest thing that can happen is if you can hoard spells and coordinate a cho manastorm combo.

Decided to download this on my phone to see what all the fuss is about. Just did a couple of rounds...can see myself getting addicted to this pretty easily. I love how simple it is to get into; that's always been a barrier for me with the likes of MTG.

Top Bottom