• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Can you play this week's Brawl with someone from your friend's list?
My wife and I were so looking forward to this Brawl. The first co-op experience in Hearthstone!

We finally sat down and checked it out last night. It took us three attempts, but we finally beat it!

...and then neither of us got the reward pack. Turns out, you have to beat it with a stranger to get the pack. Fucking hell, Blizzard.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
...and then neither of us got the reward pack. Turns out, you have to beat it with a stranger to get the pack. Fucking hell, Blizzard.

You don't actually have to beat it. You can concede immediately and get it.

giapel

I have this idea for a game mode that would fit much better the title of "brawl"
-Pick a deck, enter the brawl
-Play against any opponent in the same mode (no rank matching)
-if you win, you can play again. If you lose you're out for good.
-Resets at the end of the day
-end of day rankings are produced among the undefeated players based on number of wins.
-Top x get a pack or something

Tacitus_

Why is freeze / tempo hybrid mage currently a thing in EU? I just fought a 2nd one.

One that did this

KhaTNEn.png

Pooya

If only Feral Spirit didn't have overload (2)! bloodlust shaman deck could be legit good. It's a card you need to play and the overload just can really ruin your turn. I would play a 4 mana Feral Spirit without overload. I don't think it would be a strong card even then.

Still trying to make the dragon priest work. But just realized I cannot beat any mill decks, meanwhile aggro/face would eat mill alive. Another reason why control and temp is so much more inferior and less fun to play.

I lost my first game as secret paladin

I didn't think it was possible to draw badly with that deck but I sure did. It was still close, though. I had 6 turns to draw MC or Boom and instantly win the game

manhack

I've never worked anywhere where people work as hard as we do, and I used to work in television.

Your words have an impact, you know. You're shitting on real people when you say things like this.

Yeah the whole anti Blizzard circle jerk is getting real old. I wonder how many people complaining have actually had a job in a corporation where you have 100's or even 1000's of 'priorities' and have to spend all day putting out fires while still getting your job done and working on projects at the same time.

Sure everyone had tough work, but things don't just 'happen' because they sound good and are easy to implement.

EDIT: I noticed Haly's apology. Thankfully GAF is better than some other places in that sense.

giapel

I lost my first game as secret paladin

I didn't think it was possible to draw badly with that deck but I sure did. It was still close, though. I had 6 turns to draw MC or Boom and instantly win the game
I think that's the main problem with MC at the moment. Blizzard thought that the downside of the card is that you have to include a lot of secrets in your deck. Turn out that Paladin secrets are not that bad and can win you the game even without playing MC. That fact made MC a (very likely) win condition.

manhack

Freeze Mage definitely is not brainless. It's kinda a control deck, one of the good guys right.

Freeze mage is annoying to play against. Fortunately I've moved on to some decks that stand a chance against it and it does have some REALLY bad match ups like control warrior that are just popular enough to keep it from being rampant.

Pooya

Freeze mage is annoying to play against. Fortunately I've moved on to some decks that stand a chance against it and it does have some REALLY bad match ups like control warrior that are just popular enough to keep it from being rampant.

I don't think annoying to play against is an excuse.

Control Warrior, has crazy armor, endless removals, you get them to almost dead and they have 20 armor two turns later. Annoying to play against.

Control Priest, similarly loads of removals. 'Annoying' things like Cabal and Shadow Madness. Annoying to play against.

Handlock, I can't go face or I lose also shadowflame, annoying to play against?

I don't think freeze mage is even that different from control warrior, hell it's way easier than control warrior to beat them. It just looks like control decks are annoying to play against I guess. Every one of them has their own weakness, you have to play completely differently than just putting stuff out on curve that you do with tempo or midrange. See thinking is required. Most players don't know how to play against freeze mage, do stupid mistakes like filling their board so that they can't play anything more after freeze and poor premature loatheb turns among other things. It's one of the decks that can be countered rather easily it just needs some actual game plan and strategy. I think that's good but I guess players can't be bothered with that these days, no one has time for that. just 3-4 min game win or lose bye.

ZealousD

Freeze Mage definitely is not brainless. It's kinda a control deck, one of the good guys right.

It isn't brainless but it is extremely frustrating to play against because its entire strategy lies in not letting the opponent play cards or do anything with them. You can't attack with your minions. You can't play cards because there is a doomsayer. You don't want to overextend into flamestrike or Blizzard. They just played their second ice block so it is like you just had your turn skipped. Freeze Mage is more of a "solitaire" deck than almost any other deck because of how incredibly lopsided most of its matchups are. If you queue unto freeze mage you generally know if you will lose or win the game.

bjaelke

I wish they were better to communicate a lot of the stuff they're working on, issues they're aware of, and most importantly, the logic behind the different choices they (don't) make. Replying to individuals on Twitter is simply not sufficient. Design Insights with Ben Brode is due for another episode.

I wish they were better to communicate a lot of the stuff they're working on, issues they're aware of, and most importantly, the logic behind the different choices they (don't) make. Replying to individuals on Twitter is simply not sufficient. Design Insights with Ben Brode is due for another episode.
Not that I'm entirely sure, but how well does something like that go? To me it seems like when they do take time to explain things, people are still unhappy and complain even more.

(I could be completely off base here so please correct me if I'm wrong) Wasn't the last time Brode did a video people just said how wrong he was or how stupid his explanations were. I don't see why they'd do a lot of videos if they don't go over well anyway.

I just imagine a post saying "We're looking into deck slots and how to balance arena," would just be met with posts of "Why is it taking so long," "Everything in this game is broken," and "Where's my pony?"

Again, this is all from memory and an assumption, but I'd guess they don't say much because it's not appreciated and/or it does nothing to appease people anyway.

Tacitus_

Blizzcon starts in ~24 hours.

Dahbomb

Freeze Mage is easy to counter play with various tech options. You can use multiple silences, Bolf, Wailing Soul, Loatheb, double Kezan, Flare etc. Certain classes/decks hard counter it. Yeah its not fun to play against but the game has counter play options against it. Hell it's not even fun playing Freeze Mage when you go up against Justice CW. If I am playing Freeze Mage and if I get whiff that my opponent is playing CW I instantly concede.

It's great that Ben Brode is even considering changing rarities on cards for Arena.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if they'd just change the rarities explicitly for arena, since I imagine they don't want the entire dust economy to change up.

ZealousD

Freeze Mage is easy to counter play with various tech options. You can use multiple silences, Bolf, Wailing Soul, Loatheb, double Kezan, Flare etc. Certain classes/decks hard counter it. Yeah its not fun to play against but the game has counter play options against it.

It's great that Ben Brode is even considering changing rarities on cards for Arena.

Cards like Bolf and Wailing Soul are so specific and niche in their counterplay capabilities that actually incorporating them into your decks is madness.

Realistically, you might get lucky and get a clutch Loatheb when you need it but otherwise if the Freeze Mage knows how their deck works it is really hard to escape the inertia of the favored matchup. You HAVE to have these sorts of tech options to put yourself on even ground. And the more niche tech options like Kezan are often very hard to justify.

Dreavus

I wonder if they'd just change the rarities explicitly for arena, since I imagine they don't want the entire dust economy to change up.

I'd think this would be weird to communicate to players.

Even if it messes with the dust economy a bit, I think that's worth the trouble swapping rarities around a bit for creating a more balanced arena. Other card games use rarity for limiting complexity (like in HS), creating "chase" cards (somewhat applicable, although the dust system puts the brakes on this a little bit), and also for balancing out their limited environments. It seems like Blizzard is lacking in the latter department.

The most prominent example here is Bolster of course. At this point it seems like having it at common was just an oversight; there's really no defending the choice since the card doesn't work well at all in that environment. It definitely needs to be at least rare. Right now it's one of the most common cards you'll see as a Warrior.

Dahbomb

That's what I am thinking as well. I can't see them making Flamestrike a Rare for constructed play because it's a great card to start the game with.

Best case scenario would be making Warsong and Bolster epic while making Sea Reaver and Sparring Partner common. Axe Finger should be Rare and Alex Champion should be common.

bjaelke

Not that I'm entirely sure, but how well does something like that go? To me it seems like when they do take time to explain things, people are still unhappy and complain even more.

(I could be completely off base here so please correct me if I'm wrong) Wasn't the last time Brode did a video people just said how wrong he was or how stupid his explanations were. I don't see why they'd do a lot of videos if they don't go over well anyway.

I just imagine a post saying "We're looking into deck slots and how to balance arena," would just be met with posts of "Why is it taking so long," "Everything in this game is broken," and "Where's my pony?"

Again, this is all from memory and an assumption, but I'd guess they don't say much because it's not appreciated and/or it does nothing to appease people anyway.
I'm not saying the first episode was perfect, but the format is great for addressing the various issues raised by the community. A monthly dev diary would also be acceptable.

Blizzcon starts in ~24 hours.

I've completely forgotten about that.
Hearthstone: What's Next, 3:30-4:30pm, Friday, Main Stage
Hearthstone: Fireside Chat, 10-11am, Saturday, Main Stage
Not a lot of time to discuss current state of game if they also plan to announce/tease the next adventure.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Consecrate at rare.
Flamestrike at rare.
Armorsmith to common.
Shield Slam to common.

Lots of others I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'm not saying the first episode was perfect, but the format is great for addressing the various issues raised by the community. A monthly dev diary would also be acceptable.
Oh, for sure, that would be amazing. And I also didn't mean to direct that right to you. Just throwing it out there as another possibile reason as to why we don't get a lot of output.

I can't see them switching rarities in arena and keeping them the same as they currently are for constructed, that just screams "confusing for casuals". Just bite the dust bullet one time, fix the rarities, and then be conscious going forward that rarities matter pretty much only in arena

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I've completely forgotten about that.

Not a lot of time to discuss current state of game if they also plan to announce/tease the next adventure.
They're hosting interviews with the major fansites separately.

Haunted

For Arena rarity balance ya goof.
Well, I don't think they're going to adjust them in one mode only, so my point still stands. :p

Though I don't think they'd adjust a card down two rarity levels. If they change shield slam (for example), they'll make it a rare instead of an epic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shield Slam would likely not get drafted at the Rare slot. It'll be, in an Arena environment, between 2 and 4 damage to a minion.

I mean you'd draft it over Ancient Watcher, sure, but you don't want a Warrior card to be competing with Arena powerhouses like Sunwalker. The point is to bring Warrior to the level of Paladin/Mage (and bring those two classes down), not just give them a minor buff.

sibarraz

Banned
I really doubt that they will change the rarities of cards since that could involve a lot of dust to giveaway, I think that they will change the amount of cards that you will draft by rarity

ZealousD

I think rarity is very important for Constructed and that rarity should continue to control when people get cards.

Shuffling rarities around just for arena balance throws some of this out of wack, and having separate rarities for Constructed and arena is confusing.

Nothing is ideal here.

Miletius

I don't expect the change to be sweeping. I figure what they will do is change some of the "better" epics or rares to be more common across the board and swap out something more esoteric in it's place.

An example for warrior could be: Revenge -> common, Axe Flinger - Rare.

Revenge would help out with an early or late game board clear for warrior, and axe flinger could still be useful but it's kinda limited in scope, which suits a rare better.

When does the card back for the Blizzcon virtual ticket unlock?

I started doing some ladder with dragon priest, put in double deathlord and lightbomb its pretty okay

I think in this insane aggro meta a deathlord might be ok - doesn't hurt too much to pull out a 2 or 3 mana minion while stopping a boatload otherwise.

Top Bottom