• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Xanathus

If you own at least one wing of Naxx, no content is being taken away from you (other than the ability to pay for the other wings with cash). I personally am saving my gold for the expansion. I'll see how I distribute that gold after the new cards have been revealed.

Also, since they're nerfing cards soon, don't dust anything. Keep your dupes until after the nerfs are announced.

Yeah, basically don't spend any gold or buy anything. You probably do want to buy at least one wing of every adventure expansion though so that you can at least play the adventure and get the heroic card back later on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Couple questions about the upcoming patch.

What should my card acquiring strategy be until then? Just save all gold and dust? I'm Skiping arena because I don't want to get GvG packs.

Once nax goes away will I still be able to play the adventure if I already bought it? Do you still get a card back for beating it on heroic?

As it stands, the most valuable packs will be Classic as they will in theory last forever.

If you have most of the Classic set, then I'd sit on the gold and wait for the new set, as it has to have a bunch of hole filling cards due to everything that was solved by Naxx/GvG and is now being removed from Standard.

Apathy

i am so sick of having to kill a reno lock like 5 times, this shit is getting annoying. It's bullshit they can reno and use jaraxxus in the same game.

Couple questions about the upcoming patch.

What should my card acquiring strategy be until then? Just save all gold and dust? I'm Skiping arena because I don't want to get GvG packs.

Once nax goes away will I still be able to play the adventure if I already bought it? Do you still get a card back for beating it on heroic?

If you're desperate for packs, Classic packs will technically always be useful. You can get TGT if you really want to but those will be gone in a year now. I personally am just saving everything since I already have a good collection of Classic cards.

As for Naxx, if you have it now, they have mentioned you will keep it forever. It's actually the one thing I'm really worried about myself for new players. Naxx, Blackrock Mountain, and League of Explorers are a lot of fun to play and from the sound of things, they'll just disappear for those who don't have them around. I know they don't want people to pay for them anymore but why not let people play them for free now?

I've asked a few times and even sent out a tweet but I have yet to get a response.

Mulgrok

i am so sick of having to kill a reno lock like 5 times, this shit is getting annoying. It's bullshit they can reno and use jaraxxus in the same game.

OTK paladin is almost as bad

last time i played against one he healed himself for 36, and he still lost

so damn annoying

EDIT:

If you're desperate for packs, Classic packs will technically always be useful. You can get TGT if you really want to but those will be gone in a year now. I personally am just saving everything since I already have a good collection of Classic cards.

As for Naxx, if you have it now, they have mentioned you will keep it forever. It's actually the one thing I'm really worried about myself for new players. Naxx, Blackrock Mountain, and League of Explorers are a lot of fun to play and from the sound of things, they'll just disappear for those who don't have them around. I know they don't want people to pay for them anymore but why not let people play them for free now?

I've asked a few times and even sent out a tweet but I have yet to get a response.

I imagine they will rerelease naxx like they did in WotLK expansion of WoW. Probably nerfed to hell like the dungeon was as well.

Apathy

BTW for those people that were around when unstable portal was introduced, what was the rationale from blizzard for why anything from a 2 mana card that can summon anything, even some fucking huge card also have it reduced by 3.

Like anyone with a brain can see even without implementing that, that it would be so stupid crazy. The RNG to summon any minion is already bad, but the reduction and that it cost 2 to cast is just beyond crazy. If it only summoned a random minion that would be enough for the card cause then you are like playing the lottery, you might win big or might crap out.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
had a sick warlock draft yesterday, 4 dark peddlers, Brann bronzebeard. There was one game where I combined bronzebeard and healbot, so good. Too bad I only made it to 5 wins :(

Sande

BTW for those people that were around when unstable portal was introduced, what was the rationale from blizzard for why anything from a 2 mana card that can summon anything, even some fucking huge card also have it reduced by 3.

Like anyone with a brain can see even without implementing that, that it would be so stupid crazy. The RNG to summon any minion is already bad, but the reduction and that it cost 2 to cast is just beyond crazy. If it only summoned a random minion that would be enough for the card cause then you are like playing the lottery, you might win big or might crap out.
It's not that crazy. At the end of the day the total cost only goes down by one. It can even go up by one if you're unlucky. Of course being able play big minions way ahead of the curve is still huge, but I feel like a lot of people exaggerate its effectiveness when it's regularly mentioned as one of the most bs cards in the game.

Tarazet

It's not that crazy. At the end of the day the total cost only goes down by one. It can even go up by one if you're unlucky. Of course being able play big minions way ahead of the curve is still huge, but I feel like a lot of people exaggerate its effectiveness when it's regularly mentioned as one of the most bs cards in the game.

If anything, Innervate is far better, since you can build your deck around getting terrifying things on the board way too early. And since it just flat-out gives you mana, you can use it on spells too if that's what you really need the extra mana for.

It's really the synergy with other Mage cards, like Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mana Wyrm and Antonidas, that makes Unstable Portal good.

Fireblend

Banned

It's confirmation bias. You don't hear stories of when people play Portal into anything that isn't a perfect answer or a crazy good minion, and that makes it seem like an incredibly unbalanced card. I mean, it's still pretty RNG-ish and it can decide games which is undesirable, but I don't think it's a win condition by any means like people like to pretend it is. For me UP has a positive effect overall 25-33% of the times I use it.

I got a mountain giant earlier from one, played it on turn 3 and it pretty much won me the game.

ViviOggi

If it didn't reduce the minion's cost the card would be ridicuously awful

inky

It's confirmation bias. You don't hear stories of when people play Portal into anything that isn't a perfect answer or a crazy good minion,

That's not true =(

and that makes it seem like an incredibly unbalanced card. I mean, it's still pretty RNG-ish and it can decide games which is undesirable, but I don't think it's a win condition by any means like people like to pretend it is. For me UP has a positive effect overall 25-33% of the times I use it.

Is that percentage statistically accurate or just "what it feels like"?

It might be nice to get some real data about what people get. I know there's infographics out there with average minion and all that stuff, but it might be interesting to keep a record of a certain number of uses or so to see the real effects here.

Mulgrok

That's not true =(

Is that percentage statistically accurate or just "what it feels like"?

It might be nice to get some real data about what people get. I know there's infographics out there with average minion and all that stuff, but it might be interesting to keep a record of a certain number of uses or so to see the real effects here.

The only data I have on it is that within the past few days 75% of the portals gave big bodies or powerful legendaries. 5% of the time gave me crap. That is only from ~20 portals though... so crappy sample size

EDIT. those arena feels when a druid innervates out a fel reaver on turn 3 and coins out another on turn 4, and I have no answers in hand. I guess there are worse ways to get knocked out at 6-2

manhack

Nothing more fun than making a stupid dragon rogue deck and beating all the top meta decks. You can taste the salt as zoolocks and Druids hover over cards and rage quit in disgust after using their silence on minor threats.

manhack

Maybe the solution is a mechanic like Tracking - the new expansion might add tons of cards concentrating on making the draw more reliable in this or other ways.

Then again, as I said, unless sky falls RNG is guaranteed to stay in big amounts simply because they want it to stay, it serves a purpose (fun).

Yeah would be amazing if they added more ways for all classes to pull cards out of their decks outside of the normal draw mechanic (not mad scientist / Mysterious Challenger).

Heropon

Nothing better than going from 6-1 to 6-3 in arena thanks to paladins, minibots, their keepers of Uldaman and perfect curves. And they even BM!

Dahbomb

It's confirmation bias. You don't hear stories of when people play Portal into anything that isn't a perfect answer or a crazy good minion, and that makes it seem like an incredibly unbalanced card. I mean, it's still pretty RNG-ish and it can decide games which is undesirable, but I don't think it's a win condition by any means like people like to pretend it is. For me UP has a positive effect overall 25-33% of the times I use it.

I got a mountain giant earlier from one, played it on turn 3 and it pretty much won me the game.
IMO the upside is if you get a good 3 drop and any reasonable card for its cost at 4 and above. If you get a very good 2 drop that's about standard though you probably don't want that and of course you don't want a 1 drop (some are decent but most aren't).

That's a lot of cards you can get that can give you a huge advantage in the game.

I played some Tempo Mage yesterday and I got the following cards in 5 matches:

Savage Combatant
Neptulon (one of the cards was a Murloc Knight)
Sky Golem
Mech Warper (allowed for a turn 3 Shredder)
Volcanic Lumberer (was able to get it out on turn 4 with cost reductions)

And they were game winning for me.

The card is extremely busted when you can play it for 1 mana with Sorc Apprentice.

Heropon

emoting is the hardest part of playing a paladin

Yeah, with keeper of Uldaman around the only thing you need to think about is choosing between well met or sorry that happened.

I think I've never got so many 6 wins runs in arena. It's like some company doesn't want me to get 75+ gold just by getting an extra victory.

Blizzard hasn't even confirmed/announced the March 9th event yet, have they? Regardless, they announced standard/wild too soon if they have nothing to follow-up with for over a month

I just wish they'd start showing off new cards already. Even the slow drip is better than nothing.

I don't expect to hear a peep about nerfs until the patch though.

Pooya

The FAQ states that initially when standard launches, you will have the same rank in standard that you're in wild. I think that means it launches mid season rather than April 1. Probably after winter tour ends. They could announce this on March 9th and it be out in like 10 days. They probably won't drag it like TGT, that kind of backfired. You want to cash in on the hype rather than have people going on and on that how cards are bad :b

How will Ranks work in Standard and Wild?
When Standard format arrives, your current rank will be “split” and applied to both Standard and Wild in Ranked play. For example, if you are Rank 5 when formats arrive, you will be Rank 5 in Standard and Rank 5 in Wild.

Afterwards, you'll have a separate rank and match making rating for each format,

I think they would have said nothing until March 9th except that they wanted people to stop buying Naxx and GvG packs.

Yeah I'm glad they did say something, I probably spared myself a bunch of dust from not crafting GvG cards and a bunch of gold from not buying classic packs anymore. Immediately buying a bunch of new packs and crafting some essential cards should help me out a lot when Standard is finally here.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Blizzard hasn't even confirmed/announced the March 9th event yet, have they? Regardless, they announced standard/wild too soon if they have nothing to follow-up with for over a month

They probably announced Standard early so that people wouldn't be angry at them for not letting them know beforehand. Stop people from crafting golden Dr. Booms literally days before a new expansion bans him. Especially considering that they aren't giving full gold refunds for stuff that gets pushed into Wild.

manhack

I really feel like pit viper is an underated rogue card. I've been having fun using it in a Dragon Rogue deck and it is causing many of my opponents to play off curve and really lets me get to turn 5 where my deck starts to build up steam.

Also the early dragon cards burn a lot of silence and removal early and allow my bigger threats to do work.

JohnCYQ

So this Druid innervates out Boom on 5, and I managed to deal with it using a bunch of 1/1 taunts and then killing it with hobgoblin/boar and my enhance-o. I maintained board control throughout (he dropped drake/mounted raptor and double Lore after Boom).

It's turn 10, I have full board control with boom/boom bots and a bunch of 3/3s, I am at 22hp while I get him down to 10hp, didn't even tap last turn..

What do you know, turn 9 force of nature, innervate, double roar. Fuck that shit lmao. I'll be disappointed if the combo doesn't get nerfed by the time standard rolls out.

Ridli

Mana spent summoning minions is mana that can't be used for hero power

And over too soon. I'm curious where he goes with this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The FAQ states that initially when standard launches, you will have the same rank in standard that you're in wild. I think that means it launches mid season rather than April 1. Probably after winter tour ends. They could announce this on March 9th and it be out in like 10 days. They probably won't drag it like TGT, that kind of backfired. You want to cash in on the hype rather than have people going on and on that how cards are bad :b

Yeah, Blizzard doesn't give a shit about timing their content releases for Ranked mode. Like there was no reason Blizzard couldn't have waited till the start of a new season for the Undertaker or Warsong nerfs, and instead did it at the tail in of a current season. Undertaker was like 3 days before the season ended too.

I'm hoping for a mid march release, and that Blizzard doesn't wait till mid April.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
OTK paladin is almost as bad
last time i played against one he healed himself for 36, and he still lost
so damn annoying
I love when these little anecdotes could be me. Though I did D/C from a surefire win against a Warlock after I had 2 Anyfin in my hand. Topdeck'd the first one to activate Reno. I love my AnyFin-Reno deck sooo much. I've been doing much better since I made my own sub list for aggro and control subs.

Aggro: Annoy-o-tron, Seal of Light, Earthen Farseer.
Control: BGH, Shade of Nax, Hammer of Wrath.

Once (if) I hit Rank 5 for the month, I'm gonna test out Enter the Coliseum. Wipes Aggro and handles out of control decks. A second Humility didn't work out too well, even more unreliable Reno. Neither did Guardian of Kings, too high mana for too little effect. Keeper of Uldaman was always useless, discounting 4 attack off a minion or buffing a 1/1 is blegh.

Say what you will about Standard, but I'm gonna miss this short lived era of throw one of everything into a deck with Reno and see if it works. Wonder how many other AnyFin Reno players there are.

Peléo

Currently sitting on 1000gold. Hopefully I can get to 2000 before the expansion drops. 100 new cards will be neat. Did the same with TGT and got a decent percent of the total.

Chromax

Wait, how does The Skeleton Knight work?

Doesn't it die if the guy loses the cost match? How can my opponent play it twice in ranked match when he lost the first time when I killed it? @_@

bjaelke

If he lost the joust then it would die without triggering the deathrattle. Did he steal a copy from you (priest) or play Elise?

This fucking game, I swear.
haha That's awesome. Making a video like that must take hours though. Crazy how it all plays put though.

The best part for me though is seeing the card effects happen in your hand. If you're wondering why that happens, it's probably because the card effects are children of the cards that spawn them. The cool thing is that the cards are 3D UI which uses what's called world space, which is why the effects can appear in hand.

Top Bottom