• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Fireblend

Banned
The free decks seem like a good idea.

But the whole standard implementation as they are doing now is just preventing stuff from getting worse (though I would go for 3 adventures/3 sets over 2 adventures/5 sets any day of the week) instead of making it easier for new players.

Also the yearly (static) rotation is a bad call in my opinion. Theoretically it's nice if you expect all your new players to join the game when rotation happens. But what about the players that start to play in December that got some Blizzard shop cards for x-mas and decide to build a competitive deck? I really don't see Blizzard putting a timer on packs for how long they are in standard.

I started playing the game late last year and as a mostly F2P player I never felt the amount of cards was unsurmountable. If I had started next month or whenever Standard launches, it would have been even easier, so I agree it'd be preferable for players to join in as the rotation occurs, but it's a bearable content amount even if they don't. I think Blizzard placed the rotation cutoff at the right point to allow for variety while making the game not super restrictive for new players.

Also I wouldn't read too much into the free deck thing, for all we know it was just an idea they were toying with.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
On the topic of "free" decks:

Magic has done this as well for a long time. They print pre-made decks of various types (often tribal affiliated) and sell them in card stores and whatnot. The decks are never crazy powerful, but they will often include some big themes of an expansion or tribe and a short insert about how to play the deck and which of the cards are important. The decks rarely held "power rares" (i.e. Boom/Challenger equivalents), but often had a set of some nice commons/uncommons and some useful cards that had some synergy with the deck or were really cool in theory but not in practice. And they usually included about 1 boosters worth of random cards at the back of the deck. I think later they even started printing the decklists of Magic Pro Tour winners too. Maybe I dreamed that, I had stopped playing Magic by that point.

This is absolutely something Hearthstone could do (and is an AWESOME idea). They don't even need to give you cards for your collection. They could only be usable in that deck or something (oh no, more UI issues!) so that people still have incentive to buy packs. It is certainly a thing for new players in Magic (or it was when I stopped playing forever ago), and it could be here too. In fact, when I randomly get the urge to play Magic again, I have set up these kind of "sealed" tournaments where a group of friends get together and can only play the start box decks. It makes for a fun format where everyone has to use what they can. Liike Arena but IRL and with more fixed cards.

Dahbomb

YGO does that too but those decks were never that good. They were usually just starter decks to help you learn the game.

I remember getting a pack that had a Fire themed deck and and Water themed deck. It allows two players to play from the get go.

Found it, the set included these two structure decks:

51G54PTGX2L._AC_UL320_SR282,320_.jpg

140448.jpg

inky

What Blizzard considers competitive = That silly Joust Lock n Load Hunter deck they made for us in the Brawl before TGT.

For sure, but it's still something for new people to play with right away if they've been off the game for a while. My brother used to play YGO a decade ago and that's how I played with him, just get some starter packs instead of trying to make one with boosters alone, then he would give me stuff from his pile to switch in and out.

There are several ways they could go about it, but I wouldn't mind something like that. Maybe someone will make a guide on how to transition from a starter deck to a meta one by disenchanting and buying packs with gold.

Xanathus

Who is casting if I may ask? I'm watching the UCL but could have this on my second monitor as well.

Frodan and Kripp. Trump just 3-0'd Eloise. Eloise's Dragon Warrior deck failed 3 times and it seems correct because Tempo Dragon Warrior is already quite bad with even the current cards.

Apathy

Frodan and Kripp. Trump just 3-0'd Eloise. Eloise's Dragon Warrior deck failed 3 times and it seems correct because Tempo Dragon Warrior is already quite bad with even the current cards.

Her pick of dragon warrior was odd. Also she should have switched at some point.

I mean who expected anything other than Combo Druid and x tempo deck dominating this?

People going to mourn sludge belcher's death when standard hits.

Xanathus

Her pick of dragon warrior was odd. Also she should have switched at some point.

You don't switch decks in a streamed casted tourney with the Conquest format if you have another chance to play because you will then be showing your decks to your future opponent(s).

gutshot

How you going to host a "Standard" tournament when the real Standard is going to include another 130+ new cards plus a dozen of changes to Classic cards?

Xanathus

How you going to host a "Standard" tournament when the real Standard is going to include another 130+ cards plus a dozen of changes to Classic cards?

That's the stupidest thing about this tourney. Still it at least more interesting than a normal tourney.

How you going to host a "Standard" tournament when the real Standard is going to include another 130+ new cards plus a dozen of changes to Classic cards?

But why not? Who cares if its the actual standard or not. It is still an interesting, if not compelling, reason to watch the tournament. I think they are smart to capitalize on the coming format change.

gutshot

But why not? Who cares if its the actual standard or not. It is still an interesting, if not compelling, reason to watch the tournament. I think they are smart to capitalize on the coming format change.

You are probably right that they are smart to capitalize on the name Standard. But it's not really Standard and may as well be called Challengestone by Team Archon.

Dahbomb

Has less to do with Belcher and more to do with existence of strong Classix cards that dictate builds.

I expect the only new good decks to be Dragon Priest, Aggro Shaman and Anyfin Paladin. Not sure if anyone is using Anyfin Paladin in this tourney though.

Apathy

Has less to do with Belcher and more to do with existence of strong Classix cards that dictate builds.

I expect the only new good decks to be Dragon Priest, Aggro Shaman and Anyfin Paladin. Not sure if anyone is using Anyfin Paladin in this tourney though.

I like dragon priest, but it is very susceptible to not having the dragon activator sometimes (due to bad draw) and early pressure. I wish there were some more dragon cards to help out.

manhack

That's the stupidest thing about this tourney. Still it at least more interesting than a normal tourney.

Yeah part of the reason is that people are so bored of the current meta game and they want to try something new regardless of standard format changes.

Apathy

I like kibler, but yeah he would need to be dqed here, from this series and hope they let him go to the lower brackets and make a switch for crush and let the person he has to play down there agree

Dahbomb

It would be foolish to let him switch if given the option. From the opponent's point of view.

LOL Forsen let Kibler keep Crush.

After playing a lot more constructed than I usually do I'm really going to miss Loatheb. It requires reading your opponent's plays and hand to determine when you'll get the most utility out of the battlecry. I've been playing Zoo lock and Loatheb alone has secured me the win against so many mages, druids and priests. Not as helpful against freeze mages but against every other mage Loatheb's battlecry can determine games.

Top Bottom