• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

accel

the biggest and most impactful rng is the card draw. but that's inherent to all card games.

Maybe the solution is a mechanic like Tracking - the new expansion might add tons of cards concentrating on making the draw more reliable in this or other ways.

Then again, as I said, unless sky falls RNG is guaranteed to stay in big amounts simply because they want it to stay, it serves a purpose (fun).

There are ways to reduce draw RNG. For example, imagine if every turn's draw let you choose from your top 3 cards, and the 2 you don't want go to the bottom of the deck. Less RNG, more skill, more consequences for the player.

Dahbomb

There are ways to reduce draw RNG. For example, imagine if every turn's draw let you choose from your top 3 cards, and the 2 you don't want go to the bottom of the deck. Less RNG, more skill, more consequences for the player.
Tracking am cry.

Blizzard isn't interested in stuff like that, for them more RNG is a good thing. Mechanics like that just results in games playing out the same way and better players winning more often which isn't really what Blizzard wants.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think draw RNG is fine. I dislike Portal/Shredder type RNG because it allows a deck to achieve power spikes much greater than what it would've if these cards were limited fairly.

It's one thing to get a Ysera Awakens for lethal out of a fresh Ysera on turn 20, and a whole other thing to get a 4 mana Dr. Boom out of portal.

Dahbomb

At some point, every card game and beyond is heavily based on RNG simply because of draws.
There's RNG when you get a certain card out of 20 in your deck (that you yourself put in your deck for a specific purpose)....

There's a different RNG where you play a card on Turn 2 and it conjures up an alternate win condition for you that the opponent can never ever play around.

There would be more decks if there were more interesting cards. A huge portion of the cards in this game are simple stat drops, maybe with one basic ability. The number of cards that you can say "Oh hey, there's synergy here" is few.

Tracking am cry.

Blizzard isn't interested in stuff like that, for them more RNG is a good thing. Mechanics like that just results in games playing out the same way and better players winning more often which isn't really what Blizzard wants.
Then it's up to Blizzard to make the game more interesting IMO.

Tracking can stuff it for all I care.

At some point, every card game and beyond is heavily based on RNG simply because of draws.

There is good RNG and bad RNG. And I don't mean just acceptable RNG and unacceptable. I mean there is the type of RNG you actually want in the game, so above acceptable.

I wouldn't categorize card draw as bad RNG by any means. You can build your deck to minimize it's impact on your strategy, by including card draw to thin your deck, picking a number of early game cards to get you better odds at a good start, and in hearthstone the most skill based would be the mulligan phase.

Tarazet

It's not just RNG, it's the design direction of the cards themselves. When every deck is relentlessly efficient, there's less room for individual skill and the game devolves into who draws better.

As toxic as Patron was for most players, the mirrors were highly skill intensive games.

They still are, realistically. Few things are as mentally taxing in Hearthstone as a Miracle or Patron mirror.

Tacitus_

Removal of GvG removes a good portion of the strong RNG cards in the game. Unless they mess up the expansion with a ton of RNG based cards.

Mess up?

1430068474919.jpg

I'm at 11 hp with counterspell and mirror entity and the board, warrior has no cards in hand, what could go wrong? Oh, he will just topdeck 2 weapons in a row, one of which is ogre warmaul. God, i hate arena.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Decided to do some quests in preparation for Standardmageddon and the first deck I see is a Warlock playing Shattered Sun Cleric and Gnomish Experimentor in the depths of Rank 19.

I didn't even have the heart to go through with the game. I just conceded because I didn't want to kill him with Freeze Mage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Decided to do some quests in preparation for Standardmageddon and the first deck I see is a Warlock playing Shattered Sun Cleric and Gnomish Experimentor in the depths of Rank 19.

I didn't even have the heart to go through with the game. I just conceded because I didn't want to kill him with Freeze Mage.

Little do you know he found a secret top tier deck and is currently farming a gold portrait.

We're likely to see a set with a power level much closer to GVG than to classic or TGT. They definitely won't aim for cards about as strong as classic in future sets because if that were to happen then the meta would never change as classic will always be legal in standard.

So I think the strongest "classic" decks will continue to be neutered. Freeze mage and druid's combo in particular, I think may be targeted. I don't think they should be eradicated. I personally don't think they're that offensive right now. I just think they could be something blizzard doesn't want to continually have to consider when introducing new cards... forever.

FeD.nL

We're likely to see a set with a power level much closer to GVG than to classic or TGT. They definitely won't aim for cards about as strong as classic in future sets because if that were to happen then the meta would never change as classic will always be legal in standard.

So I think the strongest "classic" decks will continue to be neutered. Freeze mage and druid's combo in particular, I think may be targeted. I don't think they should be eradicated. I personally don't think they're that offensive right now. I just think they could be something blizzard doesn't want to continually have to consider when introducing new cards... forever.

This makes sense.

I do wonder how they are going to move forward in 'fixing' classes. I mean Hunter is so defined by their 2-dmg face hero power that the class would require a lot of card each set in standard to make a new archetype viable for the class.

Are we going to see more cards like Explorer's Hat, maybe a tad more powerful? Or perhaps a legendary spell like it that has the text: This is always in your starting hand.

Zemm

Reading that conversation is pretty much what we figured. Thijs and others tweeted similar thing, in that how difficult it is to have an edge over regular ladder players with current decks. It could improve in standard, hopefully but I think this is a problem for esport aspect of hearthstone actually.

They want people to watch HS, right. People won't be thrilled to watch no name ladder players playing net decks over and over again while showing nothing worth noting. The few dozen or so recognized names of HS didn't just get there because they were here from the beginning or that they stream, some of them don't even stream like ostkaka. They got there mostly show casing unique qualities or influenced the whole game with their deck building skills that these ladder players are copying now and beating them with.

It's good that just about any one can get good at ladder and come to the competition but if it's just who flips coins better with 50 percent win rates across the spectrum with tempo rush decks, it's not going to be a good esport for viewers or players. It's good that major changes are coming, hopefully they don't mess it up with the new set and game goes back to strategy and planning rather than tempo. If things are going to be like it is now, maybe they would need invitations still. People aren't going to tune in to watch Blizzcon it's just games of insert random name here vs another random name here. When you look at starcraft or dota etc. there are big names that consistently make it there. Only one person from 2014 Blizzcon made it into 2015 and with this route probably zero will in 2016 unless we start playing a different game.

Completely agree. That tournament on the weekend was awful. It was players who probably have like 50 viewers on twitch playing netdecks, it could literally have been anyone in here that replaced those players and nothing would have changed, you knew the way the match would play out after turns 3-5, there were no shocks, no crazy plays, just all by the book. That's the meta now though so I don't even blame the players, you go there to win and play the decks that give you the best chance. The game just needs that big shake up asap.

FeD.nL

Completely agree. That tournament on the weekend was awful. It was players who probably have like 50 viewers on twitch playing netdecks, it could literally have been anyone in here that replaced those players and nothing would have changed, you knew the way the match would play out after turns 3-5, there were no shocks, no crazy plays, just all by the book. That's the meta now though so I don't even blame the players, you go there to win and play the decks that give you the best chance. The game just needs that big shake up asap.

And this directly feeds back to what Strifecro was saying (and Reynad to a lesser degree) that in the long term Wild is going to be more exciting to play/watch, with what Strifecro expects less netdecking because it's not the supported Tournament format.

And with the comment they want all MU's ideally be a 50/50 I assume that they are going to force archetypes in the standard season. Looking at both Patron warrior and Secret pally 'successfully' making it to the top of the ladder, Blizzard now knows what it has to do to get people to play certain archetypes.

Priest should get a card something like:
1 mana
Silence a weapon. Draw a card.

Silence a weapon is a cool idea but it should cost next to nothing since obvi it's hyper situational and gotsta be cheaper than ooze, but taking away wind fury, nerfing a rogues oil, killing eaglehorn, nerfing true silver, and with more weapon effects on the way I think it could be a one off in some decks

Everything should have a counter, ooze is cool but I think a cheaper silence a weapon is a neat idea

accel

Priest should get a card something like:
1 mana
Silence a weapon. Draw a card.

Silence a weapon is a cool idea but it should cost next to nothing since obvi it's hyper situational and gotsta be cheaper than ooze, but taking away wind fury, nerfing a rogues oil, killing eaglehorn, nerfing true silver, and with more weapon effects on the way I think it could be a one off in some decks

Everything should have a counter, ooze is cool but I think a cheaper silence a weapon is a neat idea

Steal a weapon. Like Mind Control. But that's probably not 1 mana.

Axe flinger is such a fun card, I love putting it in warrior decks, hiding it behind ghoul, using deaths bite, whirlwind, taskmaster, inner rage, it combos with so many class cards, pretty much had to be hard removaled or else it's easy to get mad value from, very well designed card.

Not OP or anything but it can really burn people when they dot respect it, the kind of design I like to see in hs cards

Parshias7

I think every class should have weapons, though some, like Priest, might have 0 strength and have a more utility-oriented purpose.

It'd be cool to have shields or armor. Goes in the weapon slot, can't attack, (obviously) but then has an effect like -4 damage per enemy attack on your face.

accel

I think every class should have weapons, though some, like Priest, might have 0 strength and have a more utility-oriented purpose.

Priests might use weapons of others, stealing things from others is one of the defining themes of the class.

Mages can have staves that add spell power (equip a staff, it has 2 charges for +2 spell power, fire a frostbolt, have it hit for 3+2 and spend one charge, etc).

accel

Druids are tough. They might use staves, too, but if we go for something unique, then perhaps fangs to add bleeds or something.

Warlocks can have something like conjurer's stones - summon demons at the cost of health (or cards).

Apathy

Priests might use weapons of others, stealing things from others is one of the defining themes of the class.

Mages can have staves that add spell power (equip a staff, it has 2 charges for +2 spell power, fire a frostbolt, have it hit for 3+2 and spend one charge, etc).

A +2 spell power weapon that currently has two counters in ooze or Harrison on a freeze mage just seems way scary. The burst damage would be worse than it is now

Apathy

I was thinking about counterspell today and how about giving other classes something similar. Like kick/pummel/skull bash/wind shear/etc

Also for warlocks, i was thinking of a fel hunter card. Either its a dropped card that while alive any spell the opponent tries to play gets stopped (so it needs to be killed), or it's a drop that has a battlecry of consuming a secret and gaining +1 health, at the start of your turn consumes another random secret and gain +1 health.

Dahbomb

2 weeks since announcement and no follow up since then.

Don't leave us hanging like this Blizzard... at least give us one nerfed card preview!

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah it sucks to have to wait this long. Such a tease. In other news I got the 100 gold quest today after mulligan! Yay for proper quest management :D I think I'm going to save to ~4500 for when the expansion comes out and then spend it all at once (I don't think I'll go all in on expansion packs though, my classic collection still has some holes).

Dahbomb

Blizzard doesn't buff cards anymore.

Last buff they did was they buffed Bane of Doom to include the full demon roster. Technically that's a bug fix but it was still a substantial buff to the card.

Xanathus

I took my time climbing ladder this month by only playing to do my daily quests and already hit rank 5 :/ Already at 10605 gold, probably will hit at least 12000 by the time the next expansion comes out.

accel

I just realized that I have lost interest in watching any tournaments prior to changes that they said they are going to do (Standard, rebalancing, new addon). This last tournament with boring same-ish games where pros were dropping like flies to random newcomers (who played indistinguishably from pros, granted) have broken something in my brain.

I think I am going to take an extended break until they post something about the changes.

Ketch

Couple questions about the upcoming patch.

What should my card acquiring strategy be until then? Just save all gold and dust? I'm Skiping arena because I don't want to get GvG packs.

Once nax goes away will I still be able to play the adventure if I already bought it? Do you still get a card back for beating it on heroic?

Fireblend

Banned
Couple questions about the upcoming patch.

What should my card acquiring strategy be until then? Just save all gold and dust? I'm Skiping arena because I don't want to get GvG packs.

Once nax goes away will I still be able to play the adventure if I already bought it? Do you still get a card back for beating it on heroic?

If you own at least one wing of Naxx, no content is being taken away from you (other than the ability to pay for the other wings with cash). I personally am saving my gold for the expansion. I'll see how I distribute that gold after the new cards have been revealed.

Also, since they're nerfing cards soon, don't dust anything. Keep your dupes until after the nerfs are announced.

Top Bottom