• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

My new favourite card? Kezan Mystic.

I know it's useless against most classes, but when you drop it against a Mage, Paladin or Hunter you either get a stream of taunting or they just quit.

My new favourite card? Kezan Mystic.

I know it's useless against most classes, but when you drop it against a Mage, Paladin or Hunter you either get a stream of taunting or they just quit.
I've actually thought about building a "counterpick" deck, where you just stack cards that counter classes A. B. and C with other cards that counter Z, Y, and Z. I wonder how many gimmicks it would destroy.

Amaz is a trainwreck. He will always find a way to mess things up, and I don't mean it in a nice 'yeah, that's how he is, let's understand and forgive' kind of way. He is just irresponsible.

Amaz basically walked into a goldmine/career without any knowledge or ability on how to handle success, organization, or planning. He's a very good Hearthstone player and entertainer, but he's not a very good businessman, at least not yet. He'll get there though. I don't particularly like or dislike the guy, but I just feel he'll get a lot of continued on-the-job training has his career moves forward.

Seriously, where was Amaz before Hearthstone? Did he play other games competitively or stream?

Apathy

Amaz basically walked into a goldmine/career without any knowledge or ability on how to handle success, organization, or planning. He's a very good Hearthstone player and entertainer, but he's not a very good businessman, at least not yet. He'll get there though. I don't particularly like or dislike the guy, but I just feel he'll get a lot of continued on-the-job training has his career moves forward.

Seriously, where was Amaz before Hearthstone? Did he play other games competitively or stream?

Well, here's the bio:

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Amaz

I have nothing against the guy, we were all young and stupid once, etc, but it's just irritating already. You see the name Amaz, you know there will be a screw up.

You can say that about most people in their day to day job, the difference being that they aren't being watched by thousands of people and making it open to the public. Setting up tournaments isn't easy, and there will always be a chance for screw ups. Even blizzard themselves aren't immune from it just because they are a huge company with people specifically hired to run things. Amaz might annoy people, but he's at least actively trying to push hearthstone (obviously with some ulterior motives but that's the same for anyone else). He's setting himself up to continue on the business side of things down the road and you can't really hate a guy for trying to make something he likes also be a career path.

By the way I'm not implying you guys hate him, just sometimes the rhetoric that comes from people when they discuss some streamers.

Zemm

I don't understand people who are entertained by Amaz. Everything about him screams fake, his reactions, everything. Massan is another but atleast he started off OK and turned to shit whereas Amaz was always shit. Best streamer is either Kolento or Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler of Brian Kibler gaming, or Dog, or Firebat, or Sjow. Basically those 5 are miles above everyone else (unless you're really into Arena).

Fireblend

Banned
Polygon article on the format change.

Edit: This is pretty insightful actually.

This was said during brainstorming so it's not a confirmation of anything, but interesting nonetheless:
Standard rotation in general will, Donais says, be a significant exit point. Players will discover that a deck they love is no longer usable in the new format, and that could lead to them leaving altogether. Keeping the 300-ish cards in the Classic set around no matter what is one of many tricks Blizzard will be employing to make that exit point as small as possible. Other possibilities will include giving returning players free decks or offering bonuses for disenchanting cards that are no longer in Standard format.

It changed the name of the Legacy format to "Wild," urged on by Kibler saying they should have something more couched in the Warcraft lore. The team chose to give Wild format its own ranked ladder as well, a recommendation originally tossed out by Savjz.

One day, he says, Curse of Naxxramas or other future adventures that have rotated out of Standard could "come out of the vault" for limited amounts of time for players to purchase. Or perhaps Blizzard will come up with a different plan for purchasing these older adventures entirely. Nothing is set in stone, other than that they will disappear from purchase for a time when Standard is introduced.

Edit: Added some quotes.

Dahbomb

Seems like Blizzard will not be releasing as many Adventures from now on. 2 expansions and 1 adventure a year versus 2 adventures and one expansion a year like they did in 2015.

Sounds like they don't get enough money from the Adventures for them to be worth it. They also require more work with the boss stuff and voice acting.

Also this quote had me in stitches:
"If you had the option, you'd play 30 Leper Gnomes in a face deck," Kibler yells, to laughter and agreement from the rest of the room.

Donais confirms that Leper Gnome and Knife Juggler are two of the neutral minions being looked at by the team as they figure out which cards need to be rebalanced.
Also this was followed up by the team. Leper Gnome appears to be on the chopping block as well.

Haunted

I don't understand people who are entertained by Amaz. Everything about him screams fake, his reactions, everything. Massan is another but atleast he started off OK and turned to shit whereas Amaz was always shit. Best streamer is either Kolento or Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler of Brian Kibler gaming, or Dog, or Firebat, or Sjow. Basically those 5 are miles above everyone else (unless you're really into Arena).
I vote for Brian Kibler Gaming's Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler.

Also, I used to think people were really dumb, but maybe it's just that "fakeness" doesn't really register as a bad thing to people and they're watching popular YouTube influencers not because of their authenticity, but view it as a sort of circus like performance (with the loudness and overreactions and everything).

Fireblend

Banned
I hope we don't see less adventures in the future, they've been one of my favorite parts of the game.

I understand how producing them takes more work for something that yields a relatively low amount of cards though, which is what is ultimately needed. I think I'm ok with 2 pack expansions/1 adventure a year.

Owzers

I like adventures, you automatically get the best cards and get a mostly fun non-ladder play session. Extra dust for non-standard card dusting would be nice considering the Malganis i just crafted....

Pooya

Sounds like Ancient of Lore and Keeper of the Grove might be on chopping block too.

The new set better have some amazing cards for druid or the class is just dead.

I don't really like less adventures, more expansions approach. Adventures are far more consumer friendly.

Tagyhag

This new Brawl sounds very interesting (Hero has taunt).

Will be cool to see what decks people come up with. I might try Totem Shaman.

Apathy

How did Brode do yesterday in the F2P run? It was not archived.

Also, I just played a game where my opponent got Elise from UP. Yup, fuck that card. So glad I won't see it anymore.

Think frost mages do need a nerf, playing minimal minions and just saving for a OTK shouldn't be a thing. Specially vs a class that has so many tools to stop you with sheeps, secrets freezing, and they can get you from behind a taunt. Considering that most of their power is from classic cards, that isn't getting fixed with the new format

Playing against a Control Warrior, he had lethal if he could enrage his Grommash... problem was all he had available was Shield Slam which one-shot his Grom for 12 damage.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems like Blizzard will not be releasing as many Adventures from now on. 2 expansions and 1 adventure a year versus 2 adventures and one expansion a year like they did in 2015.

Sounds like they don't get enough money from the Adventures for them to be worth it. They also require more work with the boss stuff and voice acting.

Also this quote had me in stitches:

Also this was followed up by the team. Leper Gnome appears to be on the chopping block as well.
Yeah, I feel they've been pretty clear that going forward, they want the powerful minions to be class cards and the neutral minions to be slot ins around the archetypes these class cards enable.

Things like tribes being the more notable neutrals make the most sense from this perspective.

Pooya

Think frost mages do need a nerf, playing minimal minions and just saving for a OTK shouldn't be a thing. Specially vs a class that has so many tools to stop you with sheeps, secrets freezing, and they can get you from behind a taunt. Considering that most of their power is from classic cards, that isn't getting fixed with the new format

Polygon article states that freeze mage is Mike Morhaime's favorite deck, not happening :p

Owzers

Note to self, don't fill up your board with crappy minions because unless they clear you're stuck with them. I won on my second try as Paladin when i removed stuff that didn't work and added more debuffs/buffs for atk. Competitive spirit with muster is nice, then an aldor or attack spell.

gutshot

Druid seems really good in this. Savage Roar and Power of the Wild are really strong when your opponent can't really remove your board.

manhack

Haha silly me, of course everyone just plays Face Hunter. 4 in a row.

Weird I got mostly mages, but seems like face hunter is always popular at the start of Taver Brawls until people figure it out.

Hunter getting wrecked by animated armor, ice block and Reno.

I think a well set up mage deck is 100x better than face hunter.

gutshot

First opponent in Brawl played an Emperor Cobra, tried to clear one of my minions with it, finally realized he couldn't and then conceded.

"Not quite what was planned."

Tagyhag

Weird I got mostly mages, but seems like face hunter is always popular at the start of Taver Brawls until people figure it out.

Hunter getting wrecked by animated armor, ice block and Reno.

I think a well set up mage deck is 100x better than face hunter.

Yeah I think that's what happened, haven't faced another one since. Now it's been mages/Aggro Shaman/Combo Druids.

Hycran

Banned
Keep in mind that if you have a taunt on the board, they can still attack it. I played an aggro shaman slightly modified with 2 hello hello hello's and tuskar jousters and cleaned up

Xanathus

Got an Edwin and Doomhammer from my brawl pack.

FeD.nL

Polygon article on the format change.

Edit: This is pretty insightful actually.

This was said during brainstorming so it's not a confirmation of anything, but interesting nonetheless:

Edit: Added some quotes.

That was a great read. Polygon has been on-point with the HS features so far.

So standard this year and the next (since they were talking about '16 feeling different and '17 getting crazy, I assume the roadmap for this year and the next is laid out) is going to be a lot bigger than what we have now.

Now:

Classic - Naxx - GvG - BRM - TGT - LOE (3 adventures, 3 sets)

'16:

Classic - BRM - TGT - LOE - New set #1 - New adventure - New set #2 (3 adventures, 4 sets)

'17

Classic - New set '16 #1 - New adventure - New set '16 #2 - New set '17 #1 - New adventure - New set '17 #2 (2 adventures, 5 sets)

So how is this making it easier for new players to get into the game?

It's also a shame that rotations are static because the second set of a year will see at least 6 months less play than the first set.

Dahbomb

so this is pretty much a freeze mage brawl.
Face Hunter, Face Shaman and Face Druid deck too.

I think you can also make a Warrior deck and use Sparring Partner plus Tournament Medic. You can just out last Hunters and Freeze Mage. I will try it when I get home.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So how is this making it easier for new players to get into the game?

Imagine if you also needed all the existing sets in 2017.

That said they said they're interested in the idea of giving out free decks to returning or new players to help them catch up and at least have something to use.

ricelord

Face Hunter, Face Shaman and Face Druid deck too.

I think you can also make a Warrior deck and use Sparring Partner plus Tournament Medic. You can just out last Hunters and Freeze Mage. I will try it when I get home.

lol just had a face shaman quit on me after he tried to kill my doomsayer and me summoning an animated armor the next turn.

FeD.nL

Imagine if you also needed all the existing sets in 2017.

That said they said they're interested in the idea of giving out free decks to returning or new players to help them catch up and at least have something to use.

The free decks seem like a good idea.

But the whole standard implementation as they are doing now is just preventing stuff from getting worse (though I would go for 3 adventures/3 sets over 2 adventures/5 sets any day of the week) instead of making it easier for new players.

Also the yearly (static) rotation is a bad call in my opinion. Theoretically it's nice if you expect all your new players to join the game when rotation happens. But what about the players that start to play in December that got some Blizzard shop cards for x-mas and decide to build a competitive deck? I really don't see Blizzard putting a timer on packs for how long they are in standard.

Top Bottom