• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Apathy

Out of those people, I'd rather Kripp reveal one first.

The tom one has murlocs being sucked into the a void. New murloc card.

Since I am at the top of the page:
What do you all think is the most skillful deck for each class?

Sometimes you get wrecked with an unlucky spellbringer. I gave a dude bloodlust and got thrashed the other day
I am never picking that card again.

Loss 1 was because my Shredder popped Cho while I had a hand of nothing but spells.

Both games I was 1 turn away from lethal.

It's really annoying that I went 5-3 in Arena, and it should be 7-1 right now but isn't because of RNG.

DOOM! seems pretty lackluster. Maybe it could replace Twisting Nether in some Renolock decks but by that stage of the game it's not like Warlock would have had trouble drawing cards.

Edit: Also $10 says that murloc card is a Shaman card, sigh.

ViviOggi

Surprised to see Kripp with the most votes when 4skin is in the running. Voted for my boy Sjow, looks like the coolest card as well

Dahbomb

Since I am at the top of the page:
What do you all think is the most skillful deck for each class?
Handlock/Renolock for Warlock or the Dreadsteed deck
Grim Patron for Warrior
Oil Rogue and Miracle Rogue
Anyfin for Paladin
Malygos or Control/Midrange Shaman
Midrange Hunter or Jackie Chan Hunter
Control Priest
Freeze Mage
Ramp or Fatigue Druid

Some of these aren't actually strong meta decks but they do exist.

Peléo

The card voting thing is live. Looks like the reveals will be coming from streamers, not the website this time.

b0Fyxrtl.jpg

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/expansions-adventures/whispers-of-the-old-gods/

1st and 2nd cards look like high cost minions.
3rd looks like another giant.
4th is probably Warlock´s version of Everyfin/Anyfin spell.
5th is Paladin spell.

I would vote 2 > 1 > 3 > 4 > 5

embalm

I thought I would give my $.02 on the Infested Tauren

Infested Tauren:
4 mana 2/3
Taunt, Deathrattle: summons a 2/2 slime (slime does not have taunt)
http://imgur.com/LJZl86y

It really highlights just how over powered Piloted Shredder is. For the same mana Shredder gave you +2 attack and the average 2 drop is better than the slime. Even the worst case of 1/1 out of shredder would give you 5/4 of total stats, which is equal to the total 4/5 stats of Infested Tauren. Just think about how crushing it is to your tempo when your shredder drops a 1/1 and you have what the Tauren will do every time.

Comparing this to Sledge Belcher, is even worse. It doesn't have the health to be a strong defensive play and the deathrattle is also missing taunt which is what made Belcher so strong. Although Belcher does cost 1 more mana, it has a higher total stat pool of 4/7 and all of it has taunt.

Comparing to Harvest Golem. It is one mana less, has mech synergy, and has a total 4/4 of stats. Harvest Golem is also a Classic card so it will remain in the Standard Format. The one mana is huge in the early game and that makes harvest golem easily one of the best 3 drops in the game.

How about a Dragonling Mechanic comparison? It's 2/4+2/1 (4/5 total), has the same mana cost, and the stats come out as a battlecry which is usually an advantage. A card renowned as absolutely trash.

I think this card might be a signal. It is so much less powerful than all the other death rattle cards that summon minions, that they would have to nerf them all for it to ever see play. So maybe there is a nerf coming for all of the other ones, or maybe this is just a really bad card.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I thought I would give my $.02 on the Infested Tauren

Infested Tauren:
4 mana 2/3
Taunt, Deathrattle: summons a 2/2 slime (slime does not have taunt)
http://imgur.com/LJZl86y

It really highlights just how over powered Piloted Shredder is. For the same mana Shredder gave you +2 attack and the average 2 drop is better than the slime. Even the worst case of 1/1 out of shredder would give you 5/4 of total stats, which is equal to the total 4/5 stats of Infested Tauren. Just think about how crushing it is to your tempo when your shredder drops a 1/1 and you have what the Tauren will do every time.

Comparing this to Sledge Belcher, is even worse. It doesn't have the health to be a strong defensive play and the deathrattle is also missing taunt which is what made Belcher so strong. Although Belcher does cost 1 more mana, it has a higher total stat pool of 4/7 and all of it has taunt.

Comparing to Harvest Golem. It is one mana less, has mech synergy, and has a total 4/4 of stats. Harvest Golem is also a Classic card so it will remain in the Standard Format. The one mana is huge in the early game and that makes harvest golem easily one of the best 3 drops in the game.

How about a Dragonling Mechanic comparison? It's 2/4+2/1 (4/5 total), has the same mana cost, and the stats come out as a battlecry which is usually an advantage. A card renowned as absolutely trash.

I think this card might be a signal. It is so much less powerful than all the other death rattle cards that summon minions, that they would have to nerf them all for it to ever see play. So maybe there is a nerf coming for all of the other ones, or maybe this is just a really bad card.

I feel its just meant to be trash. Its a neutral common that was revealed on some Russian stream. It has a niche, being a sticky taunt, but its significantly weaker then the options rotating out.

The tauren card is actually a pretty balanced card, even compared to shredder, because it trades some power for more consistency.

Doom seems like a worse twisting nether. People have criticized varian for being late game card draw in an archetype that suffers when it draws late game. Doom doesn't even establish the board and gives initiative right back to your opponent, the same as twisting nether. On paper it seems like a very powerful card, but so far I am not convinced it is good in play. We'll have to see other cards. Maybe doom works with Volcanic Drake, though you'd have to kill at least 6 minions to get it out.

Ridli

DOOM! feels like it has to be a synergy for another Old God. On its own it just doesn't make any sense for a class that already has twisting nether and life tap. Perhaps Yogg Saron is buffed/discounted based on cards drawn or minions killed during a turn? Maybe he is immune to board clears?

I feel its just meant to be trash. Its a neutral common that was revealed on some Russian stream. It has a niche, being a sticky taunt, but its significantly weaker then the options rotating out.

It's not just weaker than the cards rotating out, it's weaker than cards in the Classic/Basic set. Taz'Dingo is a better taunt for the same cost. It puts more stats on the board right away and trades favorably with other minions because it has 3 attack. Harvest Golem has 1 less stat (no taunt, though) for 1 less mana and is a mech. You could compare it to Silver Hand Knight, a 5 mana 4/4 that summons a 2/2 with a battlecry. That's +2/+1 for 1 more mana and an immediate 2/2 on board.

Tarazet

Grim Patron for Warrior
Anyfin for Paladin
Control Priest
Freeze Mage
Ramp or Fatigue Druid

Good list. I think the mulligan for Dragon Priest is kind of a nightmare, but playing the deck is pretty straightforward.

Apathy

635941513071334794.png

New warlock card

You're a little late.

I an watching kripp review some of the new cards, and he got to hogger and I think he is a bit confused. He thinks that a hogger could stop a huge c'thun missle barrage cause every time hogger got hot he would spawn his gnolls. But the spawning of would trigger until after the missiles have fine their animation right?

Levi

Banned
Grim Patron for Warrior
Anyfin for Paladin
Control Priest
Freeze Mage
Ramp or Fatigue Druid

I tried Oil Rogue for a quest once... I had no idea what I was doing. I do know that back when Oil Rogue was common in the meta whether I won or not depended on if the opponent was able to play Prep/Sprint. Once that happened, I felt like I lost the game. If it didn't, I could usually grind out the win before the combo shenanigans.

When you say Grim Patron, are you talking about the midrange deck?

Maybe Freeze Mage is a skill test deck against certain opponents, but to me the deck seems like it would be an easy deck to pilot. Stall, stall, stall, emperor, Alex, burst. If that's tough than so is midrange Druid (which in my mind a Druid can easily win or lose depending on decisions made in the first few turns of the game.)

You're a little late.

I an watching kripp review some of the new cards, and he got to hogger and I think he is a bit confused. He thinks that a hogger could stop a huge c'thun missle barrage cause every time hogger got hot he would spawn his gnolls. But the spawning of would trigger until after the missiles have fine their animation right?

Probably not. Imp Gang Boss spits out an Imp as soon as it gets hit. I once went up against a Face Hunter with my Zoo Deck where I had a ton of minions on board including an IGB and a Knife Juggler. He plays his own Juggler and Unleash the Hounds. The Hounds start spawning and his Juggler starts throwing knives, most of which hit my IGB, which immediately spawns Imps on my side causing my Juggler to throw knives back killing his hounds before they get to attack leaving him just short of lethal. The way it played out, though, is that he would spawn a Hound, his Juggler would throw a knife, if that knife hit one of my targets that spawned minions on my side (IGB and he triggered a deathrattle on my board), then my minion would spawn triggering my Juggler, then he would produce the next Hound and the cycle would repeat.

You're a little late.

They should spawn immediately, similar to grim patron.

embalm

Kripp is correct in how the card works. It should work just like Grim Patron, which spawns new patrons in the middle of spells and other damage effects.

During one of Ben Brode's twitch streams he even said that the new Hogger is supposed to serve as a counter the C'thul.

Edit:
Sorry Apathy, didn't mean to jump on the correction train.

Tarazet

I tried Oil Rogue for a quest once... I had no idea what I was doing. I do know that back when Oil Rogue was common in the meta whether I won or not depended on if the opponent was able to play Prep/Sprint. Once that happened, I felt like I lost the game. If it didn't, I could usually grind out the win before the combo shenanigans.

Oil is pretty helpless in the current meta. There's a reason it never gets played.

When you say Grim Patron, are you talking about the midrange deck?

Yeah it's a kind of midrange/tempo deck now. It's my main deck, and it's a pleasure but also a headache. No two games play out quite the same way and I'm always substituting cards trying to find the right balance, especially my 4 drops.

Maybe Freeze Mage is a skill test deck against certain opponents, but to me the deck seems like it would be an easy deck to pilot. Stall, stall, stall, emperor, Alex, burst. If that's tough than so is midrange Druid (which in my mind a Druid can easily win or lose depending on decisions made in the first few turns of the game.)

If you understand the win condition, that's half the battle. But it is not an easy deck to pilot. It has a predictable game-plan and your opponent can do their best to play around it, so you have to be on top of your game.

Levi

Banned
If you understand the win condition, that's half the battle. But it is not an easy deck to pilot, especially if you get threatened early on and you weren't expecting it.

I've never played Freeze Mage, because I have despised the deck ever since the first time I faced it. That and mill druid were the first two decks I faced where I felt cheated--what's the point of a card game where I can't use any of my cards because they are frozen (vs mage) or milled (vs druid)?

This was in my first week of playing the game. I understand how to play against those decks now, but I still hate the mechanics of them and feel they don't belong in Hearthstone.

embalm

The tauren card is actually a pretty balanced card, even compared to shredder, because it trades some power for more consistency.
The consistency doesn't make up for the complete lack of power. I had some Classic card comparisons in my original post that were better or very comparable and none of them are played at all. All of them are underpowered cards, except the Harvest Golem which holds it down in Arena. Yet even the Harvest Golem isn't played regularly, it's not even played in constructed mech decks.

When something gets good trades with a Shredder, like a 3/2 killing the first half, and you get a crap minion for the death rattle, like a 1/1, it sucks. This card is worse than that situation, because now the first half of your 4 drop doesn't trade up. With only 2 attack instead of 4, it allows even 3 drops to survive trading and clear the death rattle.

Tarazet

I've never played Freeze Mage, because I have despised the deck ever since the first time I faced it. That and mill druid were the first two decks I faced where I felt cheated--what's the point of a card game where I can't use any of my cards because they are frozen (vs mage) or milled (vs druid)?

This was in my first week of playing the game. I understand how to play against those decks now, but I still hate the mechanics of them and feel they don't belong in Hearthstone.

It's a stall/combo deck, other decks do the same thing but just in less overt ways. Druid runs the board with efficient spells and obnoxious minions until he can smack you in the face with trees. Rogue ninja-kicks all of your shit or bounces it back at you until she can burst you down. Zoo trades with its board until the Doomguards kick your teeth in.. etc etc etc.

Levi

Banned
It's a stall/combo deck, other decks do the same thing but just in less overt ways. Druid runs the board with efficient spells and obnoxious minions until he can smack you in the face with trees. Rogue ninja-kicks all of your shit or bounces it back at you until she can burst you down. Zoo trades with its board until the Doomguards kick your teeth in.. etc etc etc.

Playing against decks where my board isn't constantly frozen with Blizzard or Frost Nova feels a lot different than playing against other combo decks. "Fun and interactive".

so finally back and can give my thoughts on some of the cards. That deathrattle tauren seems super ass but if it is to counter face decks I really don't see it being great I guess? I mean senjin seems to be better in that case.

The priest legendary I feel like will be viable in a sort of cthun or old gods deck where some of the low cost minions increase atk and health per turn like that 3 mana card that got released. That or some low cost death rattle minion but I do see it as a win more card straight up and nothing else. If it's just based on board state then yea based on cards we have now I don't see what else it can be used for.

The 4/2 with divine shield I feel is not bad and could be used a lot in standard. Not sure yet depending on how the other cards in the 4 slot are

I don't like that warlock card because I feel like it doesnt work well with warlock at all since they're already drawing. I feel like it's just going to push fatigue faster in control matches where they don't want to. But honestly I dont know.

Levi

Banned
Currently on a 5 game win streak at rank 15-14 with the premade Tempo Mage deck "Spells Unending". Had the spell quest and decided to give it a shot.

Tarazet

I don't know why Ogres don't get more play. They're amazing.

Me: Play Dunemaul Shaman.
Hunter: Oasis Snapjaw.
Me: Attack face. OOPS!!!! smashes into the Snapjaw. Attack face. OOPS!!!! smashes into the Snapjaw. Both die.
Me: "Well played."

Owzers

i'm just bad at this game apparently, can't win anything. Handlock with one molten lost to renolock with thaddius, lost to echo reno mage, lost with a bad draw to druid. The aggro paladin deck listed here lost to patron ( blargh of course) and a druid when i had a bad draw. Five or six loses in a row.

I didn't know reno mages used two duplicates, after they used the first on senjin i thought i was clear.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't know why Ogres don't get more play. They're amazing.

Me: Play Dunemaul Shaman.
Hunter: Oasis Snapjaw.
Me: Attack face. OOPS!!!! smashes into the Snapjaw. Attack face. OOPS!!!! smashes into the Snapjaw. Both die.
Me: "Well played."

Dunemaul Shaman is a card that either sucks horribly or wins you the game. There is no in-between with that card.

peakish

Good fucking god. I got tired of facing aggro and decided to try the dark side with a Zoolock. Jesus christ that was the most boring thing ever. How do people stand playing this crap?

To the bin with that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DOOM! seems really bad to me. Even looking at Renolock, Twisting Nether's 8 mana slot has really good synergy with Jaraxxus as people try to flood and kill afterwards, you can squeeze in nether + hero power which is a big deal.

This just gives up your turn completely, no matter what, and gives the opponent initiative again. In control situations it has the double edged sword Varian had where it fatigued you faster, though that atleast develops a board.

jgminto

Good fucking god. I got tired of facing aggro and decided to try the dark side with a Zoolock. Jesus christ that was the most boring thing ever. How do people stand playing this crap?

To the bin with that.
You're playing Zoolock wrong if you're going full aggro. Zoolock is all about controlling the board, creating difficult to clear situations and chipping down the hero while trading before bursting them down with Power Overwhelming/Doomguard.

peakish

You're playing Zoolock wrong if you're going full aggro. Zoolock is all about controlling the board, creating difficult to clear situations and chipping down the hero while trading before bursting them down with Power Overwhelming/Doomguard.
That makes more sense. Don't have the cards for it, though.

Guess my complaint goes more towards low curve face decks in general, then.

Top Bottom